BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-05-15 7:15 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by WebFootFreak It's been a while, but I jumped in the pool today. 200yd free ..... I was shooting for 1000yd total, but had a coughing fit on that last 25..... I have a lot of work to do in the water before August.
Good job Rick.  Everybody has a least favorite discipline.  And we all have to start somewhere.  Next time you'll make 250, and it will feel a little better.

2016-05-15 7:34 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Originally posted by WebFootFreak It's been a while, but I jumped in the pool today. 200yd free ..... I was shooting for 1000yd total, but had a coughing fit on that last 25..... I have a lot of work to do in the water before August.
Good job Rick.  Everybody has a least favorite discipline.  And we all have to start somewhere.  Next time you'll make 250, and it will feel a little better.

200yd free
4x25yd catchups with paddles (no pull buoy)
2×50yd kick
225yd free

No... I did get 625 total...
2016-05-15 8:04 AM

User image

Well, this week was all ups... and that's not necessarily a good thing...

Weight: 272.0 - up 1.5 from last week. My diet tracking was hit and miss (mostly hit), and I didn't stay as clean diet-wise as I shoulda/coulda...

Swim: Like I posted above, 625yds total in the water ended by a coughing fit.
Bike: 12.3mi on the trainer + 14.68mi on the road gives me 26.98mi for the week.
Run: 2.04mi, 1.87mi, and 2.03mi gives me 5.94mi in C25k mode.

The week of March 20th was the last time I had logged time in all 3 disciplines in a single week... That really sucks...

Now, as far as the 7-day challenge goes, I may not have hit all 7 days, but I feel I completed the challenge in spirit since I got that run I missed on Tuesday in yesterday as part of a "brick" (I had a good 15min T2 in there... hehe). Yes... I know it's weak, but after 7 weeks of almost nothing, I'll allow myself that little bit of latitude
2016-05-15 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Originally posted by WebFootFreak 200yd free 4x25yd catchups with paddles (no pull buoy) 2×50yd kick 225yd free No... I did get 625 total...
Way to GO dude!

Edited by leatherneckpa 2016-05-15 10:58 AM
2016-05-15 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

It's 50* and WINDY, but I went for a walk.  Just me and my thoughts.  No radio, no stopwatch, no gps.  I'm not even really sure of the distance because I can only ballpark where I turned around on MapMyFitness.  It was somewhere close to three miles.  Didn't look at the clock on the way out or on my return.  Pace was not stellar though, probably only around 3-3.5 mph.

2016-05-15 9:13 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Okay, I need to go see my doctor. ...

First thing, is vent away. You definitely don't need to feel guilty about venting here.

Second thing, yes it's probably just stress related. But it's your heart! Go get yourself checked out. And until you do make sure you back off on the workouts. Stick to strolling, not power walking. Keep that heart rate nice and low.

2016-05-15 10:08 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Not a good week for myself last week.

I got a rather nasty migraine during the week that resulted in 3 unscheduled rest days. Still, all better now, so no excuses to be back on the horse. Looking forwards to a nice consistent week this week.
2016-05-16 8:04 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Okay, I need to go see my doctor.  Quick background; in 2005 I was working at a federal prison in NJ and only getting home once a month.  My daughter waited until I left for the month and then moved her boyfriend into her bedroom, obviously without my permission.   My wife did not back me up when I said he had to leave.  2006 I returned to working at a PA federal prison and home.  I gave him a deadline to have a job or get out.  Instead my daughter takes him to the courthouse for a JP wedding.  Needless to say I had no use for him at all by then.   I end up in the hospital for chest pains that were eventually diagnosed to be stress related angina and start two years of Lexapro.  Finally she forces him to go active duty Army.  Things settled down and I was able to kick the Lexapro.  Last April 15th he was released from the Army for medical reasons.  Don't go getting all weepy for him, it was only because he needs hearing aids, nothing serious.  Now I spend every day teaching a bunch of pubescent teenagers, took over a completely disorganized and discordant classroom from a pretty incompetent teacher but I'm having a great time trying to squeeze 95 days of curriculum into 45 days of school.  AND I did well enough that they have already hired me (without an application or interview) to stay on permanently.  But for the last two weeks, about an hour after school has closed and I have no further reason to stay there, I can feel my chest starting to tighten up.  Two weeks ago he lost the construction job I arranged for him because he can't keep his damned mouth shut and not argue with the foreman.  And now with no income or savings I can't bring myself to throw my daughter and her two sons (8 and 3) out of the house with him.  So I am stuck with him too.  To tell you the truth, I am afraid to workout because I am afraid to aggravate the chest pains I am having.  I am 99% certain it is because of stress and aggravation.  But like I said, I am going to have to make an appointment to go see my doctor next week.  Looks like I'll be going back on the Lexapro.

I can't vent on Facebook because they both read my posts, so thanks for putting up with my venting here.  Believe it or not, it is cathartic.

Vent away. Family stuff can eat you alive from the inside if you keep it all in. Did you make the appointment yet?

2016-05-16 8:04 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog Not a good week for myself last week. I got a rather nasty migraine during the week that resulted in 3 unscheduled rest days. Still, all better now, so no excuses to be back on the horse. Looking forwards to a nice consistent week this week.

Migraines are evil. I hope you have a great week now that it is gone.

2016-05-16 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Well, this week was all ups... and that's not necessarily a good thing... Weight: 272.0 - up 1.5 from last week. My diet tracking was hit and miss (mostly hit), and I didn't stay as clean diet-wise as I shoulda/coulda... Swim: Like I posted above, 625yds total in the water ended by a coughing fit. Bike: 12.3mi on the trainer + 14.68mi on the road gives me 26.98mi for the week. Run: 2.04mi, 1.87mi, and 2.03mi gives me 5.94mi in C25k mode. The week of March 20th was the last time I had logged time in all 3 disciplines in a single week... That really sucks... Now, as far as the 7-day challenge goes, I may not have hit all 7 days, but I feel I completed the challenge in spirit since I got that run I missed on Tuesday in yesterday as part of a "brick" (I had a good 15min T2 in there... hehe). Yes... I know it's weak, but after 7 weeks of almost nothing, I'll allow myself that little bit of latitude

I'll let you to with the "7 in spirit". Life can get in the way some times. The goal is to not let it get the upper hand.

Great on getting in all three disciplines. It is Monday. A fresh new start to get things going the way you want them to.

2016-05-16 8:07 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It's 50* and WINDY, but I went for a walk.  Just me and my thoughts.  No radio, no stopwatch, no gps.  I'm not even really sure of the distance because I can only ballpark where I turned around on MapMyFitness.  It was somewhere close to three miles.  Didn't look at the clock on the way out or on my return.  Pace was not stellar though, probably only around 3-3.5 mph.

Bet that made the demons fade and the squirrels slow their mental cage-running! Keep it up!

2016-05-16 8:11 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

I did so-so on the 7 day. I at least took the furry beast for a long walk each day. My foot is healing but it is SLOW. I do one thing and have to take a day of rest to let it recover. I STILL am sending curses to the person who ran me off the road. This coming weekend was to be my HIM. My first and probably last one. Now I am a year off schedule just because of that jack azz! I am taking the day to do some yard work then recovering tomorrow with a swim. Bike riding (trainer and MTB) this week with another swim or two is what is scheduled this week. I am volunteering at the race this weekend since they were kind enough to let me defer to next year.

So... let's all try for another 7 days!

2016-05-16 11:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Here is a post from a friend who is a trainer. He used to be a BTer as well. Worked up to Ironman and now is into weights and personal training. I thought his weekly post this week was a good one for all of us.

Here it is.

I've got a quick one for you today. Fitting as I'm going to talk about the age old excuse of "no time."

I'm sure you've used it before.

I know I have.

Most of the time though it's just that: an excuse.

We can make excuses for a lot of things in our lives. Most of these excuses are constructed of partial truths regarding our circumstances.

A partial truth isn't fully honest though, so in reality these excuses are really just lies. And all good lies have a kernal of truth to them so they seem convincing.

A good excuse can be convincing to ourselves. A nice little lie that makes us feel better about a choice we made or action we took (or didn't take).

Every time you skip a workout or make a poor food choice you likely have an excuse you tell yourself to justify the action. This little lie makes you feel a bit better about that choice.

I know, it's hard not to lie to yourself. We like to feel good and those excuses do just that.

Especially the excuse of no time. If we tell ourselves that we were super busy today with work, family obligations, and other tasks the fact that we missed a workout doesn't seem like that bad of a thing. We still got important things done, right?

Sure there are busy days, but if we do this too often though, the kernal of truth becomes smaller and smaller.

So what do you do instead?

Well, I'm always a fan of rephrasing things.

Instead of "no time," how about saying, "it's not a priority."

That'll change your perspective in a hurry.

I would never say "eating healthy is not a priority," but that is what the phrase becomes when I would say, "I don't have time to cook a healthy meal."

Just this weekend I was faced with another time crunch situation. Saturday was a marathon day of helping babysit my nephews. I almost made the excuse of I won't have time to workout, but instead I pulled out this trick and said, "Working out is not a priority."

That didn't sit right.

So it was up and at em at 5am (which is earlier than my weekday wake up call) for a quick sprint session before the day's duties commenced.

It's crazy how powerful changing your phrasing and perspective can really be. These mental games can really make or break your success.

Next time you find yourself making the ol time excuse, take a step back and explore this new phrasing.

I'm not saying it will work every time, but it will make you stop and think, and reconsider your choice and actions. Being more thoughtful about those excuses we make and tell ourselves can only have a positive benefit on your subsequent actions.

Till next time, have a great week of training!
Neal
  What You May Have Missed on the Blog:

A new finisher is up with some new movements I haven't included before. Check it out here:

Switch and Hold "Fun"isher

Also a new article to help you out with long term goals:

It's Okay to Take Your Eye Off the Prize

Coming Soon:

Expect a new finisher and another article

Lastly, thank you for being a loyal reader. If you know of anyone who could benefit from this information, feel free to forward this email!
Copyright © 2016 Iron 2 Iron Fitness, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website

Our mailing address is:
Iron 2 Iron Fitness809 Wheeler St - Ste 110-374Ames, Ia 50010

2016-05-17 2:14 AM

User image

Hi All

It's been a while for me as I've had other priorities. (I had a chuckle to myself reading the previous post )

I've rejoined the workforce after being retired for 2 years. I'm working (part time) outdoors in a timber yard and the work is physically demanding so I've been too tired to train after work and the shifts have been ad hoc which have made it difficult to train. I now have a regular roster and with the time available I'll be running and swimming. The gym and the bike can go "on hold" for a few weeks.

I hope that everybody can work through their issues to get back on track and stay healthy.
2016-05-17 9:21 AM

User image

Having way too much fun!! Learned a very good lesson this month. Never listen to your girlfriend when she swears she gained weight when you are in a bet with her to lose weight. She is turning this weight loss challenge into a real thing. LOL. IN all honesty, it is a win win situation. We are both losing weight, we are both getting healthier. Eating healthier, working out a lot more, and supporting each other through it too. (except for the little white lies she keeps telling me about her weight till actual weigh in day).

7 day challenge still going. Even on my "rest day" I took a 30 minute walk around the yard. (more to keep from killing my boss, less actually wanting to workout). Tried something new to me last night, SPIN whomever thought give a spunky little woman a microphone and a stationary bike and unleash to try and kill you, was an idiot. Actuality, I had fun and honestly not too sore today. We will see as the day progresses. Completed a 1050 yard in the pool this morning.

This week should be pretty easy to keep the schedule. Need to be a little better on food choices. I loved the blog on excuses. I have a saying, Excuses are like breast, everyone has them but they only work a very small percentage of the time. I can make the best excuses, I can lie to myself all the time. BUT I am the one who has swim, ride run. Sometimes, the excuse is a reality and it is just hard to get it done, and most other times, it is just I hold back me. For me right now, I make every excuse in the world to go for a run. Just cant seem to get on the road. I swim, I ride, I workout, no running. I need to start with a few short runs and get over it. Thanks for the post.

leatherneckpa spew away, and as much and as often as you need to here. You bottle that up too much and it will spew else where. Sorry
leatherneckpa your going through that. It is one of my greatest fears I have with a Fiances son and/or daughter. They are younger and not to that point yet, but still fearful. Hoping for the best.

Have Fun

2016-05-17 6:44 PM
in reply to: johndiaz00

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Doctors appointment is next Monday after school, earliest I could get.   My doctor of 25 years is no longer seeing patients, and since I only see a doctor once or twice a year I didn't know that until today.  CRAP!  Now I have to try to find another doctor that I actually trust.  The cool hting about Dave was that he didn't think he knew it all.  He used to tell me all the time, "That's why we call it 'practicing' medicine."

Did manage a short two miler after school today.  Again, no watch, no phone, no gps.  Just clearing cobwebs.

2016-05-18 1:24 AM

User image

."

Did manage a short two miler after school today.  Again, no watch, no phone, no gps.  Just clearing cobwebs.

There is a lot of merit training like this. I can vividly recall 2 sessions last season where I had no technology and got some great results. The first session was on the bike at night and I could not read my bike computer until I got home. I put in a PB for a 10 KM ride. The second session was a day at the beach where I swam, ran, practiced dolphin diving for entrances and exits.

As Nike say "Just Do It".

Take a measure at the end of the month and I'll bet you'll see an improvement.
2016-05-18 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Doctors appointment is next Monday after school, earliest I could get.   My doctor of 25 years is no longer seeing patients, and since I only see a doctor once or twice a year I didn't know that until today.  CRAP!  Now I have to try to find another doctor that I actually trust.  The cool hting about Dave was that he didn't think he knew it all.  He used to tell me all the time, "That's why we call it 'practicing' medicine."

Glad you got your doctors appointment. I hate that you have to go through the trying exercise of finding a regular doc you like. Keep on doing your web-clearing walks/ rides. Moving is good for the body and the mind!

2016-05-21 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA

Three days in a row, a total of four days this week.  Samson (my energetic Airedale) and I went for a 2.0 mile walk in the rain.  Somehow it doesn't feel like a real workout without some metric to measure myself against.  But I am deliberately leaving them home until after the doctor confirms I am okay to exert myself harder.

My USIL (Useless Son-In-Law) was away at Harrisburg for training all this week.  Guess what, no chest pains all week long.  I may not be a doctor, but I'm pretty sure I have nailed this diagnosis.  Now, if the Lexapro will just work I will be set.

7½ student days left of school.  And then 2 more for us.

2016-05-22 9:06 AM

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak
Weight: 272.0 - up 1.5 from last week. My diet tracking was hit and miss (mostly hit), and I didn't stay as clean diet-wise as I shoulda/coulda...

Okay... I'm really not sure what to make of this week...

Weight: 270.0 - down 2lb from last week.

However...

Swim: 200yd free, 6x25yd catch-ups with paddles & no buoy, 3x50yd kick, and 325yd free for a total of 825yds. Getting better
Bike: Didn't spin a lick...
Run: A single 2mi run

So... I'm down 2, barely trained, and to be honest, my diet sucked due to lack of groceries (not enough cooking). I honestly can't fathom how I managed to drop any weight, much less 2lb. Well, I'm going to roll with it, and if I'm a good boy this week I should see a six in the middle position... Also, my friend and mentor who helped me along for the first two years has offered to step in, officially, as my coach.

We'll see what happens
2016-05-22 4:00 PM

User image

Had a pretty good weekend out here in the desert. Started Hal higdons Novice marathon training program.

Tuesday- 3 miles, 25:17
Wednesday- 3 miles, 25:48
Thursday- 3 miles, 25:28
Saturday- 6 miles, 57:21
Sunday- Biked 15 miles, 43:20

My marathon goal pace is 10 min, so this was a good week beating those paces. Of course its only a short week mileage wise. Next week is much of the same, add a mile Sat and 2 miles Sunday.

I weighed in at 240, a gain of 2 lbs. That was the only bummer this week.

2016-05-22 10:11 PM
in reply to: Mumstheword

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Well it's not been the greatest few weeks for me. I'm not sure what's wrong, but I've been feeling quite unathletic. Every run or bike has seemed to be more of a struggle.

Anyway, I carry on. I'll snap out of it sooner or later.

This last week, The weather conspired against me going for a bike ride, the off season combined with strong gale wanings and thundery showers meant that the bike got shelved this weekend. So for the week I only had 5 runs, for 4 hours total.

One of the runs however was a 5km race on Sunday morning. It went well (especially considering how I've been feeling the last few weeks) It didn't go quite as well as the one I did last week as I slowed on the 2nd laps, I really aim to run a 5km with a negative split. But, my pace was faster (6.02/km last time 5:55/km this time) But for the 2nd unfortunately in the same race the course was about 180m too long, so despite the faster pace, I didn't beat my time from earlier in the month. (If we took the time my my garmin said 5km I would have, but thems the breaks)

This week I'm looking to keep on with the running program, back on teh bike on the weekend. And, as our local pool is sheduled to be re opening the lap pool hopefully get back to swimming.

Keep up the good work all!
2016-05-23 1:53 AM

User image

Bulfrog,

I'm feeling the same as you. Summer has gone and training in the cooler, windier conditions hasn't been much fun. I've been fluffing around the last 4 weeks and it's showing on the scales. I can put up with the cold and the rain but not the wind so much. Time to review the training plan and get on with it.

My first ever 5 KM race is on 24 July so I'm focusing on that for the moment by continuing with my run/walk program every second day.

Hope everybody else is fit and well.

2016-05-23 10:55 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Bulfrog,

I'm feeling the same as you. Summer has gone and training in the cooler, windier conditions hasn't been much fun. I've been fluffing around the last 4 weeks and it's showing on the scales. I can put up with the cold and the rain but not the wind so much. Time to review the training plan and get on with it.

My first ever 5 KM race is on 24 July so I'm focusing on that for the moment by continuing with my run/walk program every second day.

Hope everybody else is fit and well.

I'm not sure if its the winter blues, I usually prefer running in the cooler conditions, and rain (so long as it's not torrential) doesn't bother me. It's just for some reason almost all of my workouts feel harder, and have been at a slower than expected pace. It's all very 'Blah'

So, last night I decided to ignore my pace, and I was slow. But at least I felt better doing it. So that might be the plan for the next little while, just keep it easy and ignore pace.

How's your 5k training going?
2016-05-24 4:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by bulfrog

How's your 5k training going?

The event organizers sent out a training plan that I'm following. It was pretty close to what I was doing but decided to follow the event plan for a bit of variety. Today's run is 6 minutes run / 1 minute walk x 3. I'm finishing each session feeling that I can do more but have shown restraint by sticking to the plan.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41450 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54519 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2116 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8745 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?