BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-01-11 6:31 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open

Originally posted by cwpeters Weight - 291.0 lbs Race week - taper calls for 3 - 30 minute walks with some stretching and a possible bike ride Race goal - 3:15:00 and cross the finish line with my wife still smiling.

Again, doable, logical goals. Have fun. I hope you see dolphins when you go by the water front.

2016-01-12 2:58 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog Hi everyone, I've tracked you down to our new home. My year has started well, last week (first proper week of training) I managed: Swim, 3 swims, 3,000m 1:02 Bike, 2 rides, 71.5km, 2:56 Run, 5 runs, 32.4km, 3:50 For a total of 7 hours, 48 minutes. Pretty happy with that. This week, I'm aiming for around 10 hours. I'll be adding a 4th swim, an open water event on Thursday. And adding a trainer session on the bike. I'll also be increasing my long ride, and swapping a short run for a medium length one. Why all these high numbers, today is 40 days from the Wanaka half ironman. I am all signed up and entered, flights paid fro accommodation booked. So ready or not, I will be lining up on the start line. This week there are 5 training weeks left, and a 6th to travel and taper. I've got to make them all count.

That is a cool feeling. No backing out now, you are GOING to do it!

2016-01-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
A big welcome to Chris, Kate, and Rod. Always room for "one more" around here. Glad to see everybody out there having "fun".

I have not been as faithful to the forum as I should have been, but I HAVE at least been faithful to my plan. I have started using the Beginner's Marathon Walking Plan that is on Dave McGovern's website. I have completed the first week of the 18 week program. It's really not that difficult.

The one "difficulty" I have had is that his plan is time-based, whereas all of my walking routes are distance-based. So while he's specifying a 30 minute walk, I have been actually doing 34-35 minutes walks because I have to finish walking home on the out-and-back course I use. Last week's big walk was 2 hours, which I find difficult to accept for someone coming off the couch, which is supposedly who this plan is for. Of course, he doesn't specify a distance, just the time. I fell slightly short on the time, but I also completed what is only my second 10k since I left the Marine Corps in 1982, so I'm not complaining.
2016-01-12 3:06 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by bulfrog
Why all these high numbers, today is 40 days from the Wanaka half ironman. I am all signed up and entered, flights paid fro accommodation booked. So ready or not, I will be lining up on the start line. This week there are 5 training weeks left, and a 6th to travel and taper. I've got to make them all count.
Your ROCKING brother! Can't wait to read the first HIM report of the year for our group.
2016-01-12 3:09 PM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by leatherneckpa
The one "difficulty" I have had is that his plan is time-based, whereas all of my walking routes are distance-based. So while he's specifying a 30 minute walk, I have been actually doing 34-35 minutes walks because I have to finish walking home on the out-and-back course I use. Last week's big walk was 2 hours, which I find difficult to accept for someone coming off the couch, which is supposedly who this plan is for. Of course, he doesn't specify a distance, just the time. I fell slightly short on the time, but I also completed what is only my second 10k since I left the Marine Corps in 1982, so I'm not complaining.

I do most of my training by time, it's easy.

Throw your usual routes out the window, for a 30 minute run/walk just head out the door, go for 15 minutes, turn around and retrace your steps. Bingo a 30 minute run/walk. It also helps you work on keeping even splits. If you're not managing even splits yet, turn around 15-30 secs before the halfway point on your work out.

For me, it makes more sense to train by time, time is what limits us, for example you have X minutes available in your lunch break to do a workout. You should use all of those minutes.
2016-01-12 3:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
1/7/2016
4/21 - Walk - 35m 01s - 2.00 miles - 17m 30s /Mi

After school walk, in the rain.

1/8/2016
5/21 - Walk - 35m - 2.00 miles - 17m 30s /Mi

After school walk. I REALLY need to buy a second pair of shoes. I hate walking in wet shoes. My feet were frozen before the turn around point.

1/9/2016
6/21 - Walk - 35m 17s - 2.00 miles - 17m 38s /Mi

Another easy 2 miles, although rather cold. 28ºF. Thankfully there was no wind. Still don't have the cold weather gear sorted out. A pair of poly long-johns under sweatpants seems to work okay for the lower half. But the top half, so far, is either sweat my butt off or uncomfortably chilly.

1/10/2106
7/21 - Walk - 1h 48m 51s - 6.20 miles - 17m 33s /Mi

A miserable walk in misty/drizzly conditions, depending on which moment we were talking about. Left the house in dense fog, turned to mist around the 1 mile mark. Turned to rain later, back to mist, back to drizzle, etc. Lost count of the changes. But the Marathon Walking Plan called for 2 hours today. I decided that 10k was close enough. Next time I'll have to kick it up to that full 2 hours.

1/11/2016 - Rest Day

1/12/2016
8/31 - Walk - 34m 52s - 2.00 miles - 17m 25s /Mi

After school walk. Following the intervals in the plan it was actually only 32 minutes scheduled, but it took 34 to finish the up-and-back 2 miles. I figure walking extra can't hurt anything at this stage.

Yeah, I know, I have to get out to the gym and start including swims again. Have sort of ignored cycling because I wanted to wait until I get the cold weather gear situation sorted out. Would really rather do my walks and bikes out in the open if possible.

2016-01-12 4:19 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

Hi all !,

Id like to join this group . My names James I'm 32 and weight in at 256 lbs .

I've done some running and some spin classes and took some swimming instruction last year at my local community college . Last year I wanted to complete a triathlon as a fitness goal and I failed because of (insert any number of excuses) . Well this year I refuse to fail.

I'd like to complete the Cleveland triathlon on July 31st. I plan on officially starting a training program in February. In the meantime I plan on getting in the pool at the YMCA at-least 2 times a week and starting my couch to 10k program . Spin classes will be done as I can fit them in .

I'd really like to lose 30-40 lbs in the long run .

My first goal is to complete the 10k portion of the Cleveland marathon in May.

Thanks

2016-01-13 1:43 PM
in reply to: BadwolfLi225

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by BadwolfLi225 Hi all !, Id like to join this group . My names James I'm 32 and weight in at 256 lbs . I've done some running and some spin classes and took some swimming instruction last year at my local community college . Last year I wanted to complete a triathlon as a fitness goal and I failed because of (insert any number of excuses) . Well this year I refuse to fail. I'd like to complete the Cleveland triathlon on July 31st. I plan on officially starting a training program in February. In the meantime I plan on getting in the pool at the YMCA at-least 2 times a week and starting my couch to 10k program . Spin classes will be done as I can fit them in . I'd really like to lose 30-40 lbs in the long run . My first goal is to complete the 10k portion of the Cleveland marathon in May. Thanks

Welcome. What is the distance of the Cleveland tri and where do you swim. Just curious to see if it is Lake Erie.

2016-01-13 2:37 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Hi everyone!

I'd like to join this group if i can?

My name is Anne, and I live in White Rock/Surrey, British Columbia. I'm 36 years old soon to be 37.

I've been lurking around this site, but mainly using it for logging my work outs. I'm considering buying a silver membership for the more detailed training plans.

Right now I weigh around 170lbs. I would have to say over the last 5 years, I've gained approximately 30-40pounds. Still trying to figure out why I've gained so much weight with the training and healthy eating (ok, maybe not so much the caramel and cheese popcorn?) I've been doing the past few years. I've been working night shifts on a rotating schedule, so this makes it hard to join any triathlon groups or complete training programs at the Running Room, or Triathlon Groups in general. My goal is to get back to around 150lbs which I believe is a healthy weight for me.

2011 I was training for a half marathon and developed IT Band syndrome, and had to stop all running. So I invested in my first road bike!
2012 As I couldn't run, I trained for and completed the Whistler Gran Fondo (suffered a partial tear of my left hamstring at about the 50km mark but finished anyways. This injury has been plaguing me for years now).
2013 I completed a couple of sprint triathlons and a half marathon
2014 I focused more on my running as this is my weakest sport. I completed the Vancouver BMO half marathon in around 2hrs 20min. I'd like to get this down to around 2hours, but running hurts.
2015. I completed a couple of Olympic triathlons (Vancouver, and Peach), however I finished close to the back of the pack and would like to improve things. Still struggling with IT band issues and that darn left hamstring. Learned I have compressed ribs and my pelvis is rotated...Likely as a result of heavy gear I have to wear at work. I managed to complete the Vancouver Rock and Roll Half Marathon in just under 2hr 30min with both my IT bands fully taped. Rock Tape Rocks. I took the rest of 2015 off to let my body heal. I'm not sure it ever will.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in 2016. I think I have a sprint or two, and maybe an Olympic in store for me. A half ironman would be my dream, but with all my issues, probably not the smartest. I really want to focus on losing the weight. It's getting harder to compete/run when I'm carrying all the extra pounds, not to mention it takes a toll on one's mental health. I'd like to complete some races and/or events and not get injured!

I currently ride a white and red BMC street racer. Send me a wave if you see me riding 0ave this summer!
2016-01-13 3:11 PM
in reply to: RunnyBunny

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by RunnyBunny Hi everyone! I'd like to join this group if i can? My name is Anne, and I live in White Rock/Surrey, British Columbia. I'm 36 years old soon to be 37. I've been lurking around this site, but mainly using it for logging my work outs. I'm considering buying a silver membership for the more detailed training plans. Right now I weigh around 170lbs. I would have to say over the last 5 years, I've gained approximately 30-40pounds. Still trying to figure out why I've gained so much weight with the training and healthy eating (ok, maybe not so much the caramel and cheese popcorn?) I've been doing the past few years. I've been working night shifts on a rotating schedule, so this makes it hard to join any triathlon groups or complete training programs at the Running Room, or Triathlon Groups in general. My goal is to get back to around 150lbs which I believe is a healthy weight for me. 2011 I was training for a half marathon and developed IT Band syndrome, and had to stop all running. So I invested in my first road bike! 2012 As I couldn't run, I trained for and completed the Whistler Gran Fondo (suffered a partial tear of my left hamstring at about the 50km mark but finished anyways. This injury has been plaguing me for years now). 2013 I completed a couple of sprint triathlons and a half marathon 2014 I focused more on my running as this is my weakest sport. I completed the Vancouver BMO half marathon in around 2hrs 20min. I'd like to get this down to around 2hours, but running hurts. 2015. I completed a couple of Olympic triathlons (Vancouver, and Peach), however I finished close to the back of the pack and would like to improve things. Still struggling with IT band issues and that darn left hamstring. Learned I have compressed ribs and my pelvis is rotated...Likely as a result of heavy gear I have to wear at work. I managed to complete the Vancouver Rock and Roll Half Marathon in just under 2hr 30min with both my IT bands fully taped. Rock Tape Rocks. I took the rest of 2015 off to let my body heal. I'm not sure it ever will. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do in 2016. I think I have a sprint or two, and maybe an Olympic in store for me. A half ironman would be my dream, but with all my issues, probably not the smartest. I really want to focus on losing the weight. It's getting harder to compete/run when I'm carrying all the extra pounds, not to mention it takes a toll on one's mental health. I'd like to complete some races and/or events and not get injured! I currently ride a white and red BMC street racer. Send me a wave if you see me riding 0ave this summer!

Welcome Ann. It is a beautiful part of the country where you live.  I am not sure I can see that far, though

2016-01-13 7:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Welcome Anne. We're always happy to have fresh blood.

Regarding your rotated pelvis, I did not know that I had this problem when I first went to the chiropractor two months ago. Found out that because of the rotation my right leg was significantly shorter than my right one. I'm tuned up now, feeling zero pain, and loving my regained mobility and flexibility. I don't limp anymore, something that had plagues me since, oh, 2000 or so.

2016-01-13 7:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
9/21 - Swim - 20m 30s - 1000.00 yards - 02m 03s /100 yards
After school swim. Managed to get there before all the "Resolutionists" got off work and jammed everything up. Still over 2m per 100, but can't complain considering that I haven't been in the pool in nearly two months.
2016-01-14 10:31 AM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
yes, i know what you mean about the shorter leg!

I went to a chiropractor as well, and they put everything back nicely to where it's supposed to be, but then it just goes back. It likes to be rotated which is very annoying! haha. Just keep pushing on and seeing the therapist every couple of weeks.

I'm also supposed to do the clam shells, the dead lifts, the push backs...all those boring little exercises. Hopefully my left leg will catch up to my right in strength. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue?

Today's plan is day 2 of this C25k program. Getting back into the running thing slowly
2016-01-14 3:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Life just got a lot better today, but I suspect it will become much more complicated as well.

I interviewed today for an opening teaching Science for the rest of the school year, and I got it. So now I have to contend with trying to fit workouts around a job that takes me at least 60 hours a week to do it right. And that is not including commuting time. I believe any plans I had for two-a-days just became restricted to weekends only.

Guess it's a good thing I had deleted my HIM from this year's schedule.
2016-01-14 3:59 PM

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Hey congrats on the new job. Being a teacher must be one of the most rewarding jobs there are. Enjoy! You will find a way to fit the work outs in. Maybe not two a day, but early mornings, evenings (although I just want to curl up with a glass of wine at this time) and possibly lunch hours Good Luck and have fun at the new job!

2016-01-14 5:07 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hi,
I'm in. I'm a beginner. Signed up for IM70.3 Mont Tremblant. Can't wait! I'm a mom (2 kids....4, 8) and teacher. Canadian!

Edited by vlkleinh 2016-01-14 5:13 PM

2016-01-14 7:25 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Life just got a lot better today, but I suspect it will become much more complicated as well. I interviewed today for an opening teaching Science for the rest of the school year, and I got it. So now I have to contend with trying to fit workouts around a job that takes me at least 60 hours a week to do it right. And that is not including commuting time. I believe any plans I had for two-a-days just became restricted to weekends only. Guess it's a good thing I had deleted my HIM from this year's schedule.

Congrats! Teaching science was one of my dream jobs!

You can find time. Lunch time walks that you are already doing with morning or afteroon other workouts. It is doable! Again, congratulations. I am a teeny bit jealous.

2016-01-14 7:26 PM
in reply to: vlkleinh

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by vlkleinh Hi, I'm in. I'm a beginner. Signed up for IM70.3 Mont Tremblant. Can't wait! I'm a mom (2 kids....4, 8) and teacher. Canadian!

Welcome CanadianSoonToBeIronMom... Tell us about you.

2016-01-15 6:40 AM

Originally posted by ceilidh

Welcome. What is the distance of the Cleveland tri and where do you swim. Just curious to see if it is Lake Erie.

I was planning on doing a sprint to start. The swim portion is in lake Erie but it all takes place inside an area with break walls I believe.
2016-01-15 10:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Surrey, British Columbia
Originally posted by vlkleinh

Hi,
I'm in. I'm a beginner. Signed up for IM70.3 Mont Tremblant. Can't wait! I'm a mom (2 kids....4, 8) and teacher. Canadian!

Woohoo, another Canadian! Happy Training for the 70.3. I heard it's a great race with an awesome course. I'd love to be able to venture that way for that particular race.

Edited by RunnyBunny 2016-01-15 11:01 AM
2016-01-16 7:16 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Hi guy, I am interested too if there is room for me.

I have wanted to do a tri for a long time, but have been lazy and unmotivated. Well, I hope, this is the year.

I am about 120kg (I think thats about 270lbs), and have been for some time. I have been doing a bit of crossfit, and I guess i am quite strong, but I want to be able to run after my daughter, who is seven, and crazy!!!

Sooooooooo

I got the bug again recently after reading chrissy wellingtons book, and I have a burning desire to get this done. My goal (which I guess could be very unrealistic) is to do the 70.3 in geelong in February in 2018. 2 years, should be doable right???

Anyway, i am well aware that I can't do this by myself, so I am looking forward to bouncing ideas, and frustrations, off you guys (if you let us Aussies in that is).

Thanks

2016-01-16 8:07 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by alburyscott Hi guy, I am interested too if there is room for me. I have wanted to do a tri for a long time, but have been lazy and unmotivated. Well, I hope, this is the year. I am about 120kg (I think thats about 270lbs), and have been for some time. I have been doing a bit of crossfit, and I guess i am quite strong, but I want to be able to run after my daughter, who is seven, and crazy!!! Sooooooooo I got the bug again recently after reading chrissy wellingtons book, and I have a burning desire to get this done. My goal (which I guess could be very unrealistic) is to do the 70.3 in geelong in February in 2018. 2 years, should be doable right??? Anyway, i am well aware that I can't do this by myself, so I am looking forward to bouncing ideas, and frustrations, off you guys (if you let us Aussies in that is). Thanks

Welcome. Perfect goal to want to be there for your kid. YES, that i perectly doable for a 2018 HIM.

2016-01-16 9:09 PM

User image

Hi All,

It's been a reasonable week for me training. I had 3 gym sessions, 2 runs and 1 bike session. I backed off on the running this week as my right knee was feeling a bit sore. I'm enjoying training with a fitness group each Tuesday night; we meet at the local boat ramp, go along the boardwalk and then up and down a series of 7 flights of steps over an hour. There are approximately 500 steps. I walk and do each flight once while others run and do 2 or 3 sets of each flight.

I've been very pleased with my running progress over the last month. I'm following a run / walk program from Runners World magazine and it works for me.

During the week I signed up for a race in November 2016. I feel my training now has a purpose as I have made the commitment to the race.

Hi alburyscott, good to have another Aussie. I'm in Melbourne.

leatherneckpa, Congrats on the new job

RunnyBunny, It must be incredibly hard to train while working rotating night shifts. I used to do that and felt like a zombie half the time.

I'm planning to start swimming this week. It's my weakest leg and I need to concentrate on it more.

Hope you all have a good week.

2016-01-17 4:53 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Yay for Aussies. I am actually in melbourne for a 3 day seminar every 6 weeks for the next two years (don't ask, Im too old for that crap), maybe we can go for a swim sometime when I am there.

So while I am here, a couple of questions if I may. Do any of you use a gps/hrm watch? What do you like about it?

Thanks in advance
2016-01-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Still here, still nada...

Weight: 271.5 (+1)

Real life has been kicking me in the shins lately. I've not told the whole story about what's going on, and I'm not going to give too many details now. Suffice it to say that my 16yr old is spending time in a place where he can be watched 24/7. Things are starting to turn around and a lot of progress has been made, but it's killing both me and Amy to see him like this. Honestly, the girls miss him terribly too...

At this point, I'm not sure when I'll be jumping back on the horse... but I'm keeping the saddle conditioned and ready to go.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41669 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54812 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2124 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8770 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?