BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-01-23 4:39 AM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Hey all, just thought I would check in while I could and see how you are all going?

2016-01-23 9:41 AM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey there.

I was without power for a while so couldn't check in. We are probably going to loose it again since there is 8-11 inches of snow and now 20 MPH winds. Trees will falll. I have been ill as well so getting workouts in has not been high on my list. I am going to attempt to get a trainer ride in today in between chores.

Have fun all.

2016-01-24 9:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
So, been wondering why I hadn't seen any posts to the group lately, and guess I'm late to the party! You moved the party! Need to make sure Mike knows too. Now to get caught up on all the posts. I've been struggling with motivation and some Achilles pain still so my training has been nonexistent. Hope to get back on track!

Edited by Fechter99 2016-01-24 9:52 AM
2016-01-24 9:36 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Originally posted by leatherneckpa

Ray, don't give up yet! Consider going down a different path and just doing racewalking instead of running. Every time I have tried to return to running I have wound up injured. This summer I was determined not to get re-injured and did some internet research. I discovered a couple of interesting points and websites.

First of all, racewalking isn't necessarily "too slow". The US Men's Road record is currently 3h 2m for a 40km race. That's 25 miles! So add one more mile and your still talking about a marathon in under 3.5 hours.

Second, and most importantly for me, I have completed a summer of training without injury. And I have included a 10k walk in each month. I'm still struggling to break the 10mpk (15 min per mile) pace but I have done it. And that's more than I have been able to do in any previous year.

Check out Racewalk.com for some great info on how to start and the correct form. Then go to the Beginner's Marathon Walking Schedule for a training plan. The same website will also have plans to get you to where you can complete a full marathon in under 5½ hours. That's just 7.67mpk. I old, fat, and American, so I don't know if that is a good pace for a Canook. But for me that would be 12.6 min per mile and I think that is totally doable in a year or two.

Stay the course man. And remember, this sport is 90% mental. If you want it bad enough you will find a way. We're all here for you man.

Love this information! I too had resolved myself to not running due to the never ending list of running related injuries - runners knee, shin splints and Achilles tendonosis...I am going to seriously look at race walking! Thanks!
2016-01-24 6:59 PM
in reply to: Fechter99

User image

Hi All

Looks like knees are very topical this week. I think I did too much on a run this week and have been sore since. I can't tell if it's arthritis or soft tissue. I'll be backing off on my running for a while and will look at the race walk program too.

I had a swim but that was more social than any training this week, 3 gym sessions, the step session and some running.

During the week I visited a friend of mine who is in a nursing home as he had a stroke 12 months ago and never really recovered. It "took the wind from my sails" when I saw how he'd deteriorated since my last visit. While it saddens me greatly it also puts my aches and pains in perspective and reminds me to get on with life now as there is no telling what tomorrow holds. It makes me more determined to be race ready.

Back to the knee.............I need to lose some weight to lessen the load on my joints. Currently revisiting my diet.

Hope your all well. Not sure if any of you are impacted by the snow storms we're seeing on the news, but hopefully you're safe.
2016-01-25 3:47 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Randi, I think you will like what you see when you check out the racewalking links.

Scott, Alsbury will be on the list if Cindy and I ever get there. Probably be about 5 years from now though.

OMGoodness! Those little "jack-in-the-boxes" got me GOOD this year!

Over the last nine years as a substitute I have often heard that the kids will make even the healthiest teacher sick over time. Never believed it, until this year. Yep, it's true. Schools are little more than seething beds of infestations and hormones. I'm safe from the effects of those hormones, but the infestations hit me hard these last two weeks. Just as I start to feel like I'm climbing out of the hole of one I get sideswiped by another.

Even if the weather had been close to halfway decent I wouldn't have been able to do anything. Feeling almost alive today. Hopefully get to the Y tomorrow.

2016-01-25 7:07 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Well leather, I will still be here in 5 years and you will still be welcome.

Well with all the challenges this week, I thought I might post a win (for me anyway). I have not been able to run for about a year. Every time I tried, my right foot ached madly, and my right calf cramped up. Well yesterday i was supposed to do a 20 min walk (very slow ramp up program), but I just felt like it, so I ran. Not far, not fast, but I did the rest of the workout as a run/walk (shuffle walk really). Not much for real runners, but a big deal to me.

I started reading "running for mortals" as well, which I am finding very inspiring.

hope this week brings lots of wins for you all.
2016-01-25 7:08 PM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Well leather, I will still be here in 5 years and you will still be welcome.

Well with all the challenges this week, I thought I might post a win (for me anyway). I have not been able to run for about a year. Every time I tried, my right foot ached madly, and my right calf cramped up. Well yesterday i was supposed to do a 20 min walk (very slow ramp up program), but I just felt like it, so I ran. Not far, not fast, but I did the rest of the workout as a run/walk (shuffle walk really). Not much for real runners, but a big deal to me.

I started reading "running for mortals" as well, which I am finding very inspiring.

hope this week brings lots of wins for you all.
2016-01-26 3:19 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
PA has these REALLY annoying "rumble strips" cut into the pavement along the edges of most highways and on the dividing line of most state roads. I've never liked them ,,,,, until today. They woke me up twice on the way home from school. I wasn't even medicated, but I was fighting the Z-Monster all the way today. Coughing and choking, nope, not going to the gym yet. Hopefully by this weekend.
2016-01-27 2:56 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa PA has these REALLY annoying "rumble strips" cut into the pavement along the edges of most highways and on the dividing line of most state roads. I've never liked them ,,,,, until today. They woke me up twice on the way home from school. I wasn't even medicated, but I was fighting the Z-Monster all the way today. Coughing and choking, nope, not going to the gym yet. Hopefully by this weekend.

Well, I am glad they saved your bacon! GET BETTER!

2016-01-27 8:17 PM
in reply to: #5158491

User image

Ran a couple slow miles today. All running is indoors right now and I find the treadmill hard to spend a lot of time on! What gets you through the long runs indoors?! I've had a couple decent trainer rides this week. I am behind schedule for my HIM training..trying to get back up to speed!

2016-01-27 8:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

PA has these REALLY annoying "rumble strips" cut into the pavement along the edges of most highways and on the dividing line of most state roads. I've never liked them ,,,,, until today. They woke me up twice on the way home from school. I wasn't even medicated, but I was fighting the Z-Monster all the way today. Coughing and choking, nope, not going to the gym yet. Hopefully by this weekend.

Forget the gym, get yourself healthy. That could have been a lot worse. Once your back to 100% worry about working out. Don't push it.
2016-01-27 8:33 PM
in reply to: vlkleinh

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by vlkleinh

Ran a couple slow miles today. All running is indoors right now and I find the treadmill hard to spend a lot of time on! What gets you through the long runs indoors?! I've had a couple decent trainer rides this week. I am behind schedule for my HIM training..trying to get back up to speed!

I hate the treadmill. I've actually canceled the hire contract on ours, in 2 weeks it's gone. I never did much more than an hour on it, so not that long, but I enjoyed either triathlon coverage/highlights on youtube, or some live sport if there was something on. Got to have something to watch.
2016-01-27 8:40 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My training's been going ok the last week or so. I am feeling a bit run down tho, over the last 6 weeks I have stepped things up a lot and it's starting to catch up a bit on me. So I've backed off slightly, 2 sleep in days this week.

So far I've had 3 runs, 1 short, 1 medium and 1 long, for 3 hours total. 2 swims of 1000m each and haven't touched the bike. Another short and medium run Thursday/Friday evening, Friday morning swim and then riding Saturday and Sunday to look forward to.

And then, only 2 training weeks to go. Getting close.
2016-01-27 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
And my thousands of posts continue.

I was just looking back at my training logs and thinking about how far I've come.

I joined this group a bit over a year ago. In January 2015, I did about 8 hours total. No swimming, no biking, just running (well run/walking) on the treadmill.

This January, I'm about to do my 3rd consecutive week over 9 hours total. (and my 4th over 8 hours) It's been a long road back, and to be honest my weight is still not where it should be, and I'm probably doing my HIM a few months too early, there is still a long way for me to get my fitness back to where I want it to be. But man, that is a huge improvement from a year ago.

So what I'm saying is 2 things really, keep up the good work guys, keep up the consistency and make lots of little improvements instead of trying to make one big one. It will pay off, and you will amaze yourself with what you can do. And secondly thank you, especially to those like Mike, Rick and Robin who have been here throughout, I know that i'm not the most prolific poster and I can go a long time between posts, but this little community here has helped keep me on track. So you've all played at least some part in helping me get well and truly back on track.

I hope that you've all also made the gains and improvements that you're happy with. And if you haven't then keep plugging away. And let the rest of us help if we can.

OK, warm fuzzys are over, it's time for me to go home and have another run in this horrible sticky humid weather we're having
2016-01-28 12:33 AM

User image

You really need to pull over on the side of the road for a power nap when you feel like that.

2016-01-28 5:56 AM

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Stay safe leather
2016-01-28 2:05 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by bulfrog And my thousands of posts continue. I was just looking back at my training logs and thinking about how far I've come. I joined this group a bit over a year ago. In January 2015, I did about 8 hours total. No swimming, no biking, just running (well run/walking) on the treadmill. This January, I'm about to do my 3rd consecutive week over 9 hours total. (and my 4th over 8 hours) It's been a long road back, and to be honest my weight is still not where it should be, and I'm probably doing my HIM a few months too early, there is still a long way for me to get my fitness back to where I want it to be. But man, that is a huge improvement from a year ago. So what I'm saying is 2 things really, keep up the good work guys, keep up the consistency and make lots of little improvements instead of trying to make one big one. It will pay off, and you will amaze yourself with what you can do. And secondly thank you, especially to those like Mike, Rick and Robin who have been here throughout, I know that i'm not the most prolific poster and I can go a long time between posts, but this little community here has helped keep me on track. So you've all played at least some part in helping me get well and truly back on track. I hope that you've all also made the gains and improvements that you're happy with. And if you haven't then keep plugging away. And let the rest of us help if we can. OK, warm fuzzys are over, it's time for me to go home and have another run in this horrible sticky humid weather we're having

Thanks for the warm fuzzy! it is really good to look back sometimes and see how far you have come. I was thinking the other day the amazing, awesome feeling I had when I ran my first mile, and then my first sprint, and then my first HM. I, too am not where I want to be, but I am better than where I was. Even one step in the right direction is... A giant step in the right direction! The companionship here, even if we are sporatic posters, is why I stay going! Thanks to you all as well.

now back to your regularly scheduled training.

2016-01-30 8:41 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Still can't kick this cough completely, but I'm not waiting any longer either. Well, not much longer anyway. Monday, Feb 1st, I will return to the gym to challenge the "Resolutionists". At least I can breathe semi-normally and only cough in a manageable manner.

In the meantime, I got down to Inside Track today to try on the four pair they special ordered for me. Brooks Diads were no good, even the extra wide ones. They sent another pair of Sauncony Echelons. Those were the "Blister Shoes" I donated to the locker room. The Adidas didn't even go all the way onto the foot.

In the end I dropped 250 bucks on another pair of New Balance running shoes for the treadmill and a pair of Asics cross trainers for the Expresso-Cycle and weight room. And yes, the Asics came in a 4E width.

Best of all, I discovered a new event for September to replace my B2B. Granted it's only an HM and not an HIM, but I think it will be a nice pinnacle for the season. And it's LOCAL!
2016-01-31 11:52 AM
in reply to: #5163906

I am a 47 year old weighing 287 lbs 6'3" looking at triathlon sprints as a way of getting back in shape. I have spent the majority of the last 10 years at between 300-330 lbs and I don't want to accept that anymore!!
2016-01-31 12:34 PM
in reply to: russ.enos

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by russ.enos I am a 47 year old weighing 287 lbs 6'3" looking at triathlon sprints as a way of getting back in shape. I have spent the majority of the last 10 years at between 300-330 lbs and I don't want to accept that anymore!!
Welcome!  You are in the right group. Tell us about you.

2016-01-31 12:36 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa Still can't kick this cough completely, but I'm not waiting any longer either. Well, not much longer anyway. Monday, Feb 1st, I will return to the gym to challenge the "Resolutionists". At least I can breathe semi-normally and only cough in a manageable manner. In the meantime, I got down to Inside Track today to try on the four pair they special ordered for me. Brooks Diads were no good, even the extra wide ones. They sent another pair of Sauncony Echelons. Those were the "Blister Shoes" I donated to the locker room. The Adidas didn't even go all the way onto the foot. In the end I dropped 250 bucks on another pair of New Balance running shoes for the treadmill and a pair of Asics cross trainers for the Expresso-Cycle and weight room. And yes, the Asics came in a 4E width. Best of all, I discovered a new event for September to replace my B2B. Granted it's only an HM and not an HIM, but I think it will be a nice pinnacle for the season. And it's LOCAL!

Glad you are feeling better. AND have a goal, a HM is nothing to sneeze at. Now you can look at doing the HIM that is local to here in 2017 that I am doing this year. The Mounains to Main Street in Greenvile SC. Look it up.

2016-01-31 2:23 PM

User image

Greetings All

I had a wonderful discovery this week. I found an arthritis cream that really works for me. I now wake up in the morning without any pain and can continue throughout the day. This has enabled me to continue with my run / walk program.

I had a couple of gym sessions and runs this week. Also played 18 holes of golf which was a nice day out. I can't seem to get motivated to get to the pool but that's going to change this week.

I dropped 5 lbs this month, which was less than planned but still pleasing.

Hey leatherneckpa have you tried HOKA shoes? I find that they are great and offer a lot of support.

2016-01-31 2:55 PM

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Just letting y'all know I'm still alive and kicking...

Weight: 275.5... just 4.5lb from where I started 3yrs ago

My oldest is home and doing really good... It turns out he knew he needed help, but couldn't articulate it. Now that things are calming down a bit, I'm going to reboot starting tonight. The schedule says 10min run. Crossing my fingers...

(crossed fingers.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
crossed fingers.jpg (6KB - 5 downloads)
2016-01-31 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Hey leatherneckpa have you tried HOKA shoes? I find that they are great and offer a lot of support.

I wanted to but, first they don't come in my 4E width, and second the shop manager shot me down immediately on those. Said they were absolutely wrong for my feet/gait. Apparently, in addition to really wide feet I also have a very high arch AND a really strange gait. How strange? The store manager called his other two staff out from the back room for a "training moment" analyzing it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41626 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54748 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2123 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8769 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?