BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2016-01-31 3:24 PM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Subject: RE: 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Just letting y'all know I'm still alive and kicking...

Weight: 275.5... just 4.5lb from where I started 3yrs ago

I feel your pain Rick. At last weigh-in I was only down 26 pounds from where I started over 4 years ago. And after two months of virtual inactivity, when Cindy got the scale out this morning, I was actually too scared to get on it.

2016-01-31 8:08 PM
in reply to: russ.enos

, Maryland
Hey there. I'm Caleb. 28, Educational audiologist by day, bartender/pasta slinger at America's favorite italian restaurant few nights a week. 6'3" and currently 310-315ish. Had been holding steady the past year or two at 295ish after coming out of high school at 195. Played soccer and basketball in HS and was never an outstanding athlete but was in decent shape. Have always found tri's fascinating. I've signed up for 2 previous tri's over the past couple years and have always bailed out on training so haven't actually gone through with it. Signed up for a sprint in the beginning of June. Really need to get eating under control and get back in the habit of regular exercise. Love biking and enjoy swimming so I figure I can tolerate the running part. Have done a few 5Ks over the years which have been fun. Joined this same group a couple years ago and didn't follow through. Ready to give it another go this year and get my butt in year and get healthy. With how they've changed Clyde to 220 not sure I'll be a clyde forever but we'll see. Hoping to end up somewhere in the 210-225 range.
2016-01-31 10:00 PM
in reply to: AuD14

User image

Hey Ya'll,
My name is Darrin I am 50 y o, my current weight is 245 lbs. I would like very much to be a part of this forum. I have never competed in a Tri but I am intrigued to do one. I ran a Half Marathon four years ago with poor results. I am currently dealing with right knee issues, I'm awaiting an appt with Ortho Surgeon. I do a lot of mtn biking and I don't consider myself to be a very good swimmer at all, like barely good enough to maybe save my own life. Anyway, I am excited to be even making these statements and hopefully moving forward to competing in my first Tri.
2016-02-01 7:10 AM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Greetings All I had a wonderful discovery this week. I found an arthritis cream that really works for me. I now wake up in the morning without any pain and can continue throughout the day. This has enabled me to continue with my run / walk program. I had a couple of gym sessions and runs this week. Also played 18 holes of golf which was a nice day out. I can't seem to get motivated to get to the pool but that's going to change this week. I dropped 5 lbs this month, which was less than planned but still pleasing. Hey leatherneckpa have you tried HOKA shoes? I find that they are great and offer a lot of support.

You can't say something like "arthritis cream that works" and not tell us which one. I would pay a lot for something that worked.

2016-02-01 7:11 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Just letting y'all know I'm still alive and kicking... Weight: 275.5... just 4.5lb from where I started 3yrs ago My oldest is home and doing really good... It turns out he knew he needed help, but couldn't articulate it. Now that things are calming down a bit, I'm going to reboot starting tonight. The schedule says 10min run. Crossing my fingers...

That picture is hilarious! I am glad your son is getting the help he needs. Here is to moving forward on all fronts!

2016-02-01 7:12 AM
in reply to: leatherneckpa

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by leatherneckpa
Originally posted by AussieTurtle Hey leatherneckpa have you tried HOKA shoes? I find that they are great and offer a lot of support.
I wanted to but, first they don't come in my 4E width, and second the shop manager shot me down immediately on those. Said they were absolutely wrong for my feet/gait. Apparently, in addition to really wide feet I also have a very high arch AND a really strange gait. How strange? The store manager called his other two staff out from the back room for a "training moment" analyzing it.
Nice of you to provide free staff training for them.

2016-02-01 7:14 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by AuD14 Hey there. I'm Caleb. 28, Educational audiologist by day, bartender/pasta slinger at America's favorite italian restaurant few nights a week. 6'3" and currently 310-315ish. Had been holding steady the past year or two at 295ish after coming out of high school at 195. Played soccer and basketball in HS and was never an outstanding athlete but was in decent shape. Have always found tri's fascinating. I've signed up for 2 previous tri's over the past couple years and have always bailed out on training so haven't actually gone through with it. Signed up for a sprint in the beginning of June. Really need to get eating under control and get back in the habit of regular exercise. Love biking and enjoy swimming so I figure I can tolerate the running part. Have done a few 5Ks over the years which have been fun. Joined this same group a couple years ago and didn't follow through. Ready to give it another go this year and get my butt in year and get healthy. With how they've changed Clyde to 220 not sure I'll be a clyde forever but we'll see. Hoping to end up somewhere in the 210-225 range.

Welcome Caleb! You have a good amount of time to get the needed training in before your sprint. Keep going! Glad to have you in our group, We are very supportive but not too chatty.

2016-02-01 7:18 AM
in reply to: dbranson1

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by dbranson1 Hey Ya'll, My name is Darrin I am 50 y o, my current weight is 245 lbs. I would like very much to be a part of this forum. I have never competed in a Tri but I am intrigued to do one. I ran a Half Marathon four years ago with poor results. I am currently dealing with right knee issues, I'm awaiting an appt with Ortho Surgeon. I do a lot of mtn biking and I don't consider myself to be a very good swimmer at all, like barely good enough to maybe save my own life. Anyway, I am excited to be even making these statements and hopefully moving forward to competing in my first Tri.

Hey Darren. Nice to have you. Knee issues suck. Are you swimming at all. I can reccomend Total Immersion as a form of training. I swam from birth but TI really helped me for feeling comfortable for being in the water for a long time. Previous to TI I could do 100 yd continuous, after doing the drills and really paying attention, I could swim 1600 yds with no problem. For running, there is race walking and the C25K program (couch to 5K). Both are great ways to get through a race with no injury and in good time. Both are searchable on the web.

2016-02-01 11:53 AM

, Maryland
Anyone have any plantar fasciitis advice? Fairly certain I've got a little bit related to job #2 - being on my feet 4-6 hour shifts carrying trays of food combined with being overweight. Most mornings when I wake up of my heels is pretty sore. Goes away as I get moving throughout the day.
2016-02-01 4:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by AuD14

Have always found tri's fascinating. I've signed up for 2 previous tri's over the past couple years and have always bailed out on training so haven't actually gone through with it. Signed up for a sprint in the beginning of June. ..... Love biking and enjoy swimming so I figure I can tolerate the running part. With how they've changed Clyde to 220 not sure I'll be a clyde forever but we'll see. Hoping to end up somewhere in the 210-225 range.

Welcome Caleb, happy to have you back. We're going to try to provide you with the support to maintain your accountability and help you finally cross that sprint off your bucket list.

Me? Let's see; 57 yrs old, broken down retired law enforcement officer turned high school science teacher. My biggest training obstacle? The 21 yr old Marine I used to be who lies in my head and drives me to overdo things and end up injured. Within the last year I discovered that I am actually faster doing racewalking than I am when I attempt to jog and it has the added bonus that I have stayed injury free since April. Unusual for me.

I wouldn't worry about the Clyde/Athena thing. My personal belief is that being a Clyde/Athena is a state of mind. To paraphrase the Marine Corps, Once a Clyde, always a Clyde. Besides who wants to be one of those skinny, anemic, "elite" triathletes? The simple truth is that we Clydes can be just as proud, if not more so, of our accomplishments and finishes than them. After all, a basic examination of the physics shows that we do more work, expend more energy, and have longer endurance capabilities than they do. Let's strap 50-100 pounds in a backpack on their backs and see if they can even complete, much less compete with us.
2016-02-01 4:57 PM
in reply to: dbranson1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by dbranson1
I would like very much to be a part of this forum. I have never competed in a Tri but I am intrigued to do one. I ran a Half Marathon four years ago with poor results.

Welcome Darrin. We'll have to vote to see if you can be in the group ,,,,,, oh wait, we don't do any of that foolishness here. Cool, you're in. I just looked at the possibility of my first HM this weekend and am looking at one on September 11th. I don't think that anyone who has done a HM can claim "poor results". Heck, you finished it! It's a pretty small percentage of the general population who can claim that.

I would seriously suggest you look at racewalking as an alternative to the jogging. I have found great success since I converted to that this summer. Go here to check out some basic info on form and training. Then go here to find a nice 18 week training program to get you walking to your first full marathon finish.

2016-02-01 4:59 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Originally posted by ceilidh

We are very supportive but not too chatty.

Well, except for me. I tend to talk too much.
2016-02-01 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
No, I did not go to the gym today. I had my bag packed and in the truck. But when it came right down to it I simply could not make myself go to the gym. It was far too nice outside to waste the after school hour staring at a white brick wall and going nowhere on a dreadmill.

Instead I hurried home, threw on some training clothes and went out on my 2 mile Valley Rd out-n-back route. And I set TWO PR's in the process. I got my first mile, all uphill, i n only 18m 13s. And then my best overall time by more than a minute! I have never finished this course under 34m, until today. Between the remains of last months cough/cold and my EIA I am coughing my brains out right now, but it was totally worth it.

1/20 - Walk - 33m 22s - 2.00 miles - 16m 40s /Mi
2016-02-01 5:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
For the new folks, check out the Challenges section for my monthly challenge. It is aimed purely at improving our consistency of training, not our time, distance, or whatever. This month's has just posted. The basic idea is to score at least 20 workout days this month. But there are some other "rules, more like guidelines, that might help some of you get to the pool more often.
2016-02-01 7:38 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by AussieTurtle Greetings All I had a wonderful discovery this week. I found an arthritis cream that really works for me. I now wake up in the morning without any pain and can continue throughout the day. This has enabled me to continue with my run / walk program. I had a couple of gym sessions and runs this week. Also played 18 holes of golf which was a nice day out. I can't seem to get motivated to get to the pool but that's going to change this week. I dropped 5 lbs this month, which was less than planned but still pleasing. Hey leatherneckpa have you tried HOKA shoes? I find that they are great and offer a lot of support.

You can't say something like "arthritis cream that works" and not tell us which one. I would pay a lot for something that worked.

It's Caruso's EXIT PAIN Arthritis Cream. It works for me and I hope it works for you if you can get it. I have mild arthritis in my right knee. It's painful enough to limit my workouts but since using the cream I've been unrestricted.Details below

http://www.carusosnaturalhealth.com.au/product/6/exit-pain-arthriti...
2016-02-01 7:55 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi and welcome to the new guys.

I'm pretty happy with how my week went. I cut things back slightly to have a rest (no morning runs) but still managed just over 9 hours for the week.
Swim, 2 pool swims, 2000m, 42 minutes
Bike, 2 outdoor rides, 92.5km, 3:50
Run, 5 runs, 39km, 4:31
And weight, pretty much the same as last week. Down 2lbs for the year.

How was everyone elses week?

This week is stepping things up a little bit. Aiming for 4 swims this week, 3 times at the pool and one OWS on Thursday evening. Bike, Monday was a public holiday here, so I went for an early morning ride, so that should be 3 rides this week. Also aiming to increase my long ride to 3 hours on the weekend. And run, should be the same as usual.

This will be followed by another week of the same, and then it's show time. 17 days, 17 hours and 20 minutes till race time, for those keeping score at home.

2016-02-01 8:00 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
My totals for January.

Overall so, so happy. I had new years day off, but haven't missed a day since then.

Swim: 10,200m 3:28:15
Bike: 378.7km, 16:04:57
Run: 156.2km, 18:17:41

For a total of 37 hours 50 minutes and 53 seconds of SBR for the month.

How did everyone else manage? I'm sure the rest of you all have things to be proud of.
2016-02-01 8:02 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Just letting y'all know I'm still alive and kicking...

Weight: 275.5... just 4.5lb from where I started 3yrs ago

My oldest is home and doing really good... It turns out he knew he needed help, but couldn't articulate it. Now that things are calming down a bit, I'm going to reboot starting tonight. The schedule says 10min run. Crossing my fingers...

Good to see you back.

You've had some time off so remember that when you're out running. You're going to have to take it a little easier than you used to.
2016-02-02 9:29 AM

, Maryland
Went to the gym last night. 35 minutes on the stationary bike. Hair over 6 miles.

Where's the challenge section at leatherneck?
2016-02-02 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Caleb, to get to the Challenge boards you just have to go to the COMMUNITY header,where you find the FORUMS thread. Then look one headline below there and you will see CHALLENGES. Just look for one titled 20/28 in February + 10%. Of course, since this would be your first month on the challenge you won't have to worry about the 10% part.
2016-02-02 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
2/20 - Bike - 45m 47s - 9.00 miles - 11.79 Mi/hr
It was too nice to go to the gym again today. Took the bike for a ride around the River Rd instead, no worries about pace or time, just wanted to make two easy laps.

2016-02-02 6:28 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
A very hot sticky run after work on Tuesday. Which wasn't fun, but the real problem was a very tight calf muscle which developed 10-15 minutes after I finished running. I've been using the massage stick on it a bit, but here I am Wednesday afternoon and whilst not as bad as yesterday it's still tight.

I'm a bit worried. An injury now, less than 3 weeks from the half Ironman, and in the middle of what was supposed to be my biggest training week is not part of the plan.

Tonight's long run isn't happening, I may try a slow short jog depending on how it feels after work.
2016-02-04 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Had a great beach swim last night. 1500m which is the first time I've done an OWS that long since my HIM back in 2013. It was windy, and wavy. The organizers used the alternate course, so instead of an out and back there were 3 x 500m triangles. The conditions made it pretty hard, and I would have expected slow but I finished in 31 minutes, which I was very happy with. Was not happy with my sighting. I was all over the place, swimming almost 200m extra. If you want a laugh check out the map of my swim: https://www.runningahead.com/logs/a77d9e6097e44551805f7c677edb99f7/w...

So much fun out playing in the waves.

My dodgy calf I was worried about also seems to have cleared up. I had a good easy 30 minute jog on Wednesday, no issues.

How's everyone else going? it's quiet in here
2016-02-05 10:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hey all. I am blaming Mike for sending his illness through the internet. I caught a big ole bug and it has put me out for the whole week. I intend on getting a trainer ride in today and see if I am back yet. I am leaving for a vacation tomorrow YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY and will be away from the internet for the duration.

When I get back, it will be really close to time for your HIM Bullfrog! You are gonna rock it.

FWIW, here is my Janurary. I had a foot injury so I was not where I want to be with my run. Still, it is always something and it is better than previous months so I'll take it.

Swim: 3h 50m 22s - 8598 Yd
Bike: 10h 58m - 164.5 Mi

Run: 9h 30m 05s - 41.8 M

2016-02-05 10:59 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by AuD14 Anyone have any plantar fasciitis advice? Fairly certain I've got a little bit related to job #2 - being on my feet 4-6 hour shifts carrying trays of food combined with being overweight. Most mornings when I wake up of my heels is pretty sore. Goes away as I get moving throughout the day.

You asked about PF. I had a really bad bout with it. My advice is this: 1) get good running shoes that fit your feet and stride. Go to a running store (locally owned if you can) and get them to analyze your stride and get the shoes they recommend. They may be more than you can get on the internet but get your first pair from them and go from there. 2) Wear shoes all the time with good support. Until the PF heals, going barefoot or wearing slippers, flipflops, etc. with no support makes the problem worse. 3) EVERYDAY, A COUPLE OF TIMES A DAY OR MORE. STRETCH your feet. Do heel-raises on the curb or stairs. 20 per foot and do that often. 4) TWICE A DAY roll a 16 oz drink bottle full of ice under your foot for 20 minutes. It will help more than you think. These are the steps my podiatrist told me to take and in a month my PF was gone. It had been plaguing me for 3-4 months prior.

Hope you get some releif, yours seems like it is just at the start so you may not have to do the above for long. The heel-raises are excellent to do as often as you can.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2016 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4-Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 23

RELATED POSTS

Seeking MENTORS for 2016 Beginner Triathlete Mentor Program

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 1337 Posts: 4

2015-12-23 10:29 PM alicefoeller

2015 Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37

Started by chirunner134
Views: 41447 Posts: 914

2016-01-08 2:46 PM ceilidh

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 54515 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Weight loss then fitness or weight loss and fitness

Started by rnp70
Views: 2116 Posts: 14

2012-07-03 10:18 AM KeithH

Clyde/Athena FB group.... Pages: 1 2

Started by Garceau
Views: 8745 Posts: 44

2016-09-27 11:52 AM dandr614
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 16, 2015
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Fuel sensibly and avoid undermining your fitness for weight loss

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?