BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-04-03 7:10 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Mike,

As Dave mentioned Pumpkinman is a great race, i did the half a couple of years back and really enjoyed it. REV3? Challenge Maine in Old Orchard beach is another good one, they have both Olympic and Halfs. I am doing the White Mountain Olympic in June, I've been told is a great race. In September the Maniac is a great low key sprint in Biddeford pool.

Dan

2016-04-03 7:38 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Hi Everyone,
I hope everyone s having a good weekend, after a couple days of near 60 it is snowing today, not much so far but i am really ready for the spring to hit for good.
Its been a tough week on training, my daughters were home for spring break ( I love that they want to come home and not go to some party spot) they fly back to school today so it will be back to work, still on the trainer for the time being.

Deb/ Dave, thanks for the torture devices, proper stretching and injury prevention is something that I really need to work on more.

George, I hope everything works out and there is nothing seriously wrong!

Dan
2016-04-03 4:32 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

George ... falls are crazy that way.  I've done similar and came away once with a knot literally the size of a golf ball on my calf, and had no idea how if happened.  You may have banged it on the handlebar reflexively as you began to fall.  And the suggestion for ice is definitely a good one, maybe ibuprofen too if you can take them. 

Deb - the things we go thru to do what we want ... we're definitely passionate and yes - a little crazy too!!

Last week was a dud for me.  I put a lot of energy into finishing up my barn and got to a point on Saturday where I threw in the towel and called a contractor to finish the job.  This works out the best as I can get the work done; there's no risk of me getting electrocuted; the work gets done safely, and I get back to my training.

Weather here for next week looks OK ... not great but I look to get some road time in.  Next event for me is in 2 weeks.  It's a 100k, local bike ride in support of MS research.  Hope all have had a good weekend and have a good upcoming week.

Ciao - Dorm

2016-04-03 4:35 PM
in reply to: Tri Mike

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Mike, welcome to the group and as Scott said ... yes we're (you too) crazy.  This is a really good group, wherein there seems a broader spread of experience and you should definitely benefit from the group. 

Dorm

2016-04-04 7:57 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Last Monday, last ride of the Easter camp, I had a very minor fall off the bike - just rolled over onto my right side.  Got up and felt fine aside from embarrassed.  A couple nights later my left wrist is sore.  No big deal just annoying.  So I swam, biked and ran with no issues.  Today, driving to the pool thinking about my wrist and what could have happened - absolutely nothing - except the fall.

Before going into the pool I look at my wrist and I can see the area is reddened over the scaphoid bone and slightly swollen.  Swim went fine no trouble at all.  When I got home I used a tuning fork to see if I had fractured my wrist.  It didn't irritate my wrist suggesting it is not fractured.  I'll see my MD on Monday and maybe get it x-rayed although I am still hopeful it is just a sprain.

Scaphoid fracture is typically when a person reaches out to stop a fall.  I fell but to my right and can't recall anything to do with my left side.  I really don't want to miss any training but I'll make sure to rule out a fracture PDQ.

I'm supposed to ride 60km tomorrow and the weather is summer-like.  I may not be going.  Other than that I feel pretty good.

Hey George,

Hoping you get good news today.

2016-04-04 8:35 AM
in reply to: dahoffman72

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Spring is Officially Here . . . Tonight

Dave, I just read your post and the results on the indoor tri ... great job!  Competition is fun and especially with your results.

Ciao ... Dorm

2016-04-04 11:55 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

My MD doesn't think my wrist is fractured either but I'll go for an x-ray this week just to confirm it.  I pretty much feel back to normal.  Just a residual bit of a cough and sinus issues from my illness.  My wrist is feeling pretty good, not perfect. and the swelling is going down a bit more each day.  I had no trouble cycling 60km on Saturday (except for normal saddle issues).

Today, I swam full strength and enjoyed it then ran my second fastest 10K to date and enjoyed that as well.  Considering I was aiming to stay in Zn 2 and not push harder on the run I felt really good while running and not exhausted afterwards.

Driving to the pool this morning I realized I've only got 4 weeks to my first sprint of the year.

2016-04-05 9:08 PM

User image

After being beat down by Thorgrim's Hammer and having both Lungs repeatedly pierced by Leonidas's Sword I am slowly making a come back; a nice slow 5K slog through the mud. Felt good to be outside and moving. Roads are clear a short swim and ride tomorrow.

Hope all are well, I know I am glad I survived the last 5 days.
2016-04-08 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Scott - question for you.  I've been following your Sprint Build 3x for the last 6 weeks and re-did my STP test this morning.  Previous STP was 2:15, for the test this morning I calculated it at 2:07.  I was hoping to be a little faster but wasn't expecting that much of a drop.  I'm sure part of it is just the fact that I've been getting to the pool consistently 3 days a week and putting in more overall yardage than I was before.   Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled that I seem to be making some progress with my swim (especially since my first race of the season is next weekend ), just want to make sure this seems reasonable.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Janet

2016-04-08 7:45 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott - question for you.  I've been following your Sprint Build 3x for the last 6 weeks and re-did my STP test this morning.  Previous STP was 2:15, for the test this morning I calculated it at 2:07.  I was hoping to be a little faster but wasn't expecting that much of a drop.  I'm sure part of it is just the fact that I've been getting to the pool consistently 3 days a week and putting in more overall yardage than I was before.   Don't get me wrong - I'm thrilled that I seem to be making some progress with my swim (especially since my first race of the season is next weekend ), just want to make sure this seems reasonable.

Hope everyone is having a good week.
Janet

Hi Janet,

Yep, that is consistent with what I generally see.  We just did a new STP test for an athlete I have been working with about 5-weeks.  He experienced a 6-second drop in 4-weeks.  You had 8-seconds in 6-weeks, he had 6-seconds in 4-weeks.  That is essentially the same rate of change. 

Good job!  Keep it up!

2016-04-12 12:42 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Back from the dead
Hey Gang:

Sorry for the extended absence. I endured an eight week series of crazy, crazy injuries and just plain bad luck that had me totally disgusted and pretty much ready to thrown in the towel on triathlon. The inability to train didn't help my attitude either. The injury bug got so crazy that I actually pulled my groin while swimming! I wouldn't have thought it possible. I even had a concussion thrown in for bonus points when a partition was knocked over at a non-profit fund-raising event. The damn thing landed squarely on my head and knocked me loopy. Killer headaches for a few days to add to the fun. And the methacholine test for my breathing issues showed a 23% decline in lung capacity when my newly acquired asthma kicks in. I was truly depressed.

But eventually I decided that even though I was knocked down, I was going to get back up.

I did the Lavaman Triathlon in Kona yesterday. I finished 10th/54 in my age group which is probably better than I deserve and definitely better than I expected.

I knew I would not be contending for my AG, so I just backed it off and enjoyed the event. The swim was in very choppy waters so combined with limited swimming I wasn't really disappointed with a 32 minute effort. I had some decent training time on my indoor bike so the goal was to maintain focus on 160 watts as I knew at that level I would not burn up my legs prior to the run. I ended up with a 158 average, so it was pretty much on the money. My 10K was about 53 minutes. I ran very controlled because I was worried both about limited run conditioning--made worse from heat-- and my asthma. Running has just been damn difficult. But I actually felt fine throughout the run.

So it's been a hard couple of months and I apologize for the extended disappearance.

You'll see me more often around here in the coming months.

Best,

Steve

2016-04-12 11:07 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Gang:

Sorry for the extended absence. I endured an eight week series of crazy, crazy injuries and just plain bad luck that had me totally disgusted and pretty much ready to thrown in the towel on triathlon. The inability to train didn't help my attitude either. The injury bug got so crazy that I actually pulled my groin while swimming! I wouldn't have thought it possible. I even had a concussion thrown in for bonus points when a partition was knocked over at a non-profit fund-raising event. The damn thing landed squarely on my head and knocked me loopy. Killer headaches for a few days to add to the fun. And the methacholine test for my breathing issues showed a 23% decline in lung capacity when my newly acquired asthma kicks in. I was truly depressed.

Hey Steve,

Welcome back. Holy Moly, what a run of bad luck! That's got to be some kind of record for weird injuries.

Way to go in Kona. Given your last eight weeks of "training", you should be buoyed by your results as a solid starting point in your season.

Again, good to see you've surfaced and I'm looking forward to your next report being a lot more mundane than this one.
2016-04-12 12:41 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
Welcome back Steve.
Isn't this what your signature line says:

"May thy challenges be great, And thy courage even greater"

Please feel free to not do that so literally!

Deb
2016-04-12 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Steve - I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you but then I remembered Lavaman so I just assumed you were having a good time.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Sounds like you've had more than your share of problems.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come down with the asthma?  At times when I'm running I wonder if I could be on the verge of it.  

Glad to hear you had a good day at Lavaman.  

2016-04-12 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I received an email from a lady I often swim with.  Apparently on Saturday she was cycling to meet some friends for a long ride when a car pulled out in front of her and knocked her onto the hood of another vehicle.  The driver hit her while talking on her cell phone and initially took off but soon came back.  Probably a good thing because witnesses got her license number.

She said that landing on the hood of the second car broke her fall and likely saved her from more serious injury.  So far she just has a sore shoulder, some bruising. stiff neck and won't be swimming for a while.  But she has been running without issue (typical triathlete, eh).

I know everyone knows about the dangers of cycling but please be careful out there.

2016-04-13 7:58 AM
in reply to: #5158550

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Welcome back Steve, sorry to hear about the string of bad luck, hopefully it is all behind you!
As for us mere mortals, I can hope to someday turn on a 10k time of 53min let alone after a swim/ bike. Definitely something to strive for. To the end I have been working a lot more on intervals rather than long slow runs, it seems to work much better at keeping my PF in check somewhat and hopefully o can get faster?
Looks like we might actually be getting some spring weather back on Maine, I am really looking forward to that even after a mild winter.

Dan

2016-04-13 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Steve - I was beginning to wonder what had happened to you but then I remembered Lavaman so I just assumed you were having a good time.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Sounds like you've had more than your share of problems.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you come down with the asthma?  At times when I'm running I wonder if I could be on the verge of it.  

Glad to hear you had a good day at Lavaman.  

Hey George:

The issue for me started last year when I got pneumonia in my left lung. I had a fever of 104 for about a week. Very nasty bug. A month or so after the pneumonia was cleared from my lungs (confirmed by Xrays) I began to notice two weird trends. First, I would wheeze at night when lying in bed. Almost a squeeky whistling sound as I exhaled in very relaxed breathing. It was noticeable enough my wife would hear it. Second, I began to note that during running by heart rate would be push high zone 4 and/or low zone 5 when my pace/effort did not reflect that kind of effort. For example, pre-problem I could crank out 6:45 paced miles to hit zone 5. Post issue, 8:30 mile paces or even slower pushed me into zone 5.

They first checked me for allergies, then xrayed my lungs. Both were negative. They then did lung capacity tests which were inconclusive either way so they moved on to the methacholine tests where they give you a nebulized chemical to induce asthma if your susceptible. The methacholine lung tests on me found a 23% reactionary decline in lung volume at level three at which point they had to terminate the testing (presumably so as not to leave me on the floor gasping for air like a bass on the bottom of a boat).

It's pretty easy to test. For me, I was pretty certain something was going on with my lungs...I just couldn't figure out what or why. I've got an inhaler now which helps...I still hold out hope I can return to previous form.

Steve
2016-04-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Regular
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Welcome back Steve, sorry to hear about the string of bad luck, hopefully it is all behind you!
As for us mere mortals, I can hope to someday turn on a 10k time of 53min let alone after a swim/ bike. Definitely something to strive for. To the end I have been working a lot more on intervals rather than long slow runs, it seems to work much better at keeping my PF in check somewhat and hopefully o can get faster?
Looks like we might actually be getting some spring weather back on Maine, I am really looking forward to that even after a mild winter.

Dan

Dan--two base factors to fast running. First is weight. It's just plain hard work to move fast and incremental weight means incremental effort. As gray guys most of us are packing extra weight that when reduced will increase run pacing even at the same level of fitness and effort. Second, as you point out, interval training is the key to getting faster. I think weekly intervals for running are optimal...the key being finding the right interval for your current level of fitness and then gradually gradually gradually adjusting this upward as your run pacing improves.

I've had these two webpages bookmarked for a long time that I've used to dial in my appropriate interval training paces:

1) http://www.runbayou.com/jackd.htm This is really nice calculator for getting a customized interval pace based on your current fitness level and how that translates to various race distance predicted times.

2) http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/your-vdot-training-number This is an oveview of VDOT run training.

As both sites stress, the key is to be 110% honest in recording your current VDOT so you accurately calculate your interval run pacing. Running intervals too hard is a guaranteed short-cut to injury...especially for a gray guy.

Best,

Steve
2016-04-15 5:04 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: What's on tap for the weekend?
Hope you have a great weekend planned. It's Spring time here, so we're finally full-on with the great weather. Morning runs remain chilly (40F) but by the afternoon the temps are in the upper 60's.

My hope is to get a 7-8 mile run in early Saturday, hit the gym for a strength workout after that and then get to the pool at noon to finish off the workouts. Nothing hard...just some weekend volume. Sunday will hopefully allow time for a 2+ hour bike ride in the warmth of the afternoon.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

Steve
2016-04-16 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: What's on tap for the weekend?

Finally we get a nice weekend!  No rain and highs in the 70's.  And just in time for my first race of the season tomorrow morning.  Went out for a short ride this morning (still trying to get used to riding clipless outdoors), came home and got the bike ready for tomorrow, now I'm just chilling for the rest of the day - enjoying the warm weather and sunshine. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Janet

2016-04-16 3:26 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Originally posted by soccermom15

Finally we get a nice weekend!  No rain and highs in the 70's.  And just in time for my first race of the season tomorrow morning.  Went out for a short ride this morning (still trying to get used to riding clipless outdoors), came home and got the bike ready for tomorrow, now I'm just chilling for the rest of the day - enjoying the warm weather and sunshine. 

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
Janet

Good luck tomorrow, Janet. I hope you have a great time.

Steve

2016-04-17 9:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

God luck Janet, go like the wind...

I too had a race this weekend the Beat Beethoven 5K, not too bad for the first road race of the year.

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-04-17 9:19 AM

(2016 Beat Beethoven Dave.PNG)

Attachments
----------------
2016 Beat Beethoven Dave.PNG (113KB - 4 downloads)
2016-04-17 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by dahoffman72

God luck Janet, go like the wind...

I too had a race this weekend the Beat Beethoven 5K, not too bad for the first road race of the year.
[/QUOTE

Nice! Very respectable time! Well done.

Steve
2016-04-17 6:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Great job David. I'd love to have your speed.

Janet ... hope your race went well.

Steve ... glad you're back in the mix.  I'd wondered about you; sorry to hear about the issues, but hope you've turned the corner and back on track.

Weather here was perfect this weekend ... lo-70's, brilliant sunshine and cool mornings.  Got in my first longish ride today (42 miles) and rode in an area I'd not ridden in for a couple of years.  It was satisfying to look at my Strava results and compare previous rides to today ... had a lot of PB's for today's ride.  Looks like the hours spent on the trainer are paying off.

Hope all had a good weekend.

Ciao - Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2016-04-17 6:45 PM
2016-04-17 7:12 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Spencer, New York
Congrats, AK Dave, on an excellent race time & placing.
And Congrats to Janet as well, in advance of hearing how you did. I hope your result is pleasing to you.
Around here, everyone is intoxicated by the sudden appearance of sunshine. Even the teens got their noses out of their phones and went outside without being asked.
I got to do my first outside ride of the season, a short easy one of 22 miles, followed by a short brick run. (Come to think of it, a couple of years ago I wouldn't have described 22 miles as a short & easy ride, so that's progress.) My neck was reminding me that staying in aero for that long on an outside ride will take some getting used to again. On the trainer I don't have to look where I'm going and although I'm almost exclusively in aero I've been following my chiropractor's suggestion to keep a neutral spine when possible to spare my neck.
Water temp in the pond is up to 55°. In a couple of weeks, it'll be ready for swimming; and a couple of weeks ago air temp was 0°!
First running race, a 19k, in 3 weeks.
First tri, a sprint, in 7 weeks.
Have a good week everyone,
Deb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17521 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open