BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-05-27 9:31 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: 1st Oly complete!
LMAO George, this was the Gold Nugget Triathlon in Anchorage it is an all women Tri, I actually had a couple friends at the race, but, since I have been in Florida for the last couple weeks I have not had a chance to see if any of them were affected. I was glad to see a good outcome though, Momma Bears are very unpredictable. on another note, there are hazards everywhere I expect, check the attached photo, this was the sign at the swim start to my Super Sprint in Clermont Florida.

Janet, great job on your Oly, I have anther just under a month until mine I hope I am ready, I am planning on starting my open water swimming in earnest Monday.
Will post my race report a little later as I have much to do to catch up after a two week absence, I was at least able to get some training in while traveling.

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-05-27 9:40 AM

(Swimming with Gators.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Swimming with Gators.JPG (1309KB - 7 downloads)

2016-05-27 9:34 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Memorial Day Weekend

Sorry, double post.

Edited by k9car363 2016-05-27 9:36 AM
2016-05-27 9:34 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Memorial Day Weekend

Hey everyone!

Memorial Day weekend is here!  The unofficial beginning of summer and our opportunity to remember those that made the ultimate sacrifice so that we may have the freedom to pursue this sport that we love so much.  Memorial Day means a long weekend for most of us.  I know a couple of people are racing.  My plans include a long ride tomorrow - roughly 90 miles down to the beach and back,  a full day of watching auto racing on Sunday, with a long run on Monday. 

What's everyone else have planned?

Edited by k9car363 2016-05-27 9:35 AM

(d96c67ed18f85a9af57ec93ea0a69a64.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
d96c67ed18f85a9af57ec93ea0a69a64.jpg (38KB - 9 downloads)
2016-05-27 12:39 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: 1st Oly complete!
Congrats on your race Janet, and thanks for writing such a detailed report.
It sound like the lack of fluids really hurt you on the bike & run too. You absolutely must figure out a way to hydrate (take it from one who overheated on my first Oly & had to be hauled off to the med tent to recover--but not til after I finished!)
Try the between-the bars bottle since you have it. I've attached a picture of the pretty unique way I have my bottles rigged up so I can drink without disturbing my position. I like this because when the tubes get nasty I, which they will, I can replace them cheaply & easily with generic hardware-store tubes.
Another thing no one's asked you: do you use wet-suit lubricant? I slather it on my arms & especially legs before putting the suit on and it really makes the stripping easier. I use the spray stuff by Profile Design.

Now here's a question for the group: I have aero bars mounted on a road bike. I'm really noticing how it disturbs my efficiency and balance when I have to reach over to the handlebars to shift, and I'm seriously considering putting bar end shifters on my aero bars. (This is cheap; getting a real tri bike is not!)
I'm wondering if anybody here has any experience with this themselves, or seen where somebody else did it, or seen an article anywhere. I generally do my own mechanical work and am a little hesitant to ask my LBS.

Have a good weekend everyone. Right now I have to gather up all of our trash which our NY bears have scattered all over the yard. At least they haven't taken up triathlon. Yet.
Deb

(My bike is sad it's over cropped.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
My bike is sad it's over cropped.jpg (66KB - 7 downloads)
2016-05-28 7:14 PM
in reply to: #5158550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Memorial Day Weekend
Weekend plans for me is riding what's called the MoM ... 103 mile bike race - that for me is more about finishing than racing.
Hope all have a good weekend and holiday.
Ciao - Dorm
2016-05-30 8:16 AM
in reply to: #5184418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Mountains of Misery - Finisher
101.7 miles - a great ride and yes I finished it.

2016-05-30 10:21 AM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by Dorm57

101.7 miles - a great ride and yes I finished it.

Nice job. Congrats. I looked at that elevation profile...brutal.

Steve
2016-05-30 6:33 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dorm57 101.7 miles - a great ride and yes I finished it.

Congrats Dorm!  With that ride profile your next stop should be France and the TdeF!

2016-05-30 6:35 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Scary Headline

I woke up this morning to news that there had been a Great White shark attack at the beach we had done the OWS clinic last weekend.  Fortunately there were only minor injuries but still kinda scary to know we had a bunch of people swimming about half-a-mile south of the pier just last week.  

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/05/30/beach-reopens-shark-attack-oc/

Edited by k9car363 2016-05-30 6:39 PM

(20160530_055509.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20160530_055509.jpg (92KB - 4 downloads)
2016-05-30 6:49 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Ok. Saturday is my first tri - a sprint...any last minute advice/tips? I'm starting to pack now - getting nervous about forgetting something.
2016-05-30 10:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Congrats Dorm.  I had to convert it to kilometres to relate to the distance and it is 163.7 km.  Something to brag about for sure.

2016-05-30 10:28 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Regular
Originally posted by CL001

Ok. Saturday is my first tri - a sprint...any last minute advice/tips? I'm starting to pack now - getting nervous about forgetting something.

A few thoughts:

1) Focus on having fun and learning. Putting together your first race feels a little different than training. Just take it all in.

2) Start the swim toward the rear of your wave, but look to the sides. There is almost always clear water at the edges of the swim pack. You rarely get thrashed on the edges.

3) Don't let your adrenaline cause you to over-ride your bike leg. Keep it well in your range.

4) Enjoy the run. You've earned it.

5) Bask in glory at the finish!

Have a great day.

Steve
2016-05-30 10:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Chris - For your first Sprint consider it a learning experience.  Aim for your time goals but just have fun and don't worry about your times.

I recommend elastic "Quick Tie" shoelaces for your runners and maybe a Tri belt to attach your bib number to.  Not sure if your race is a pool or OW Swim but keep calm and don't start out too fast.  Looking forward to reading any other suggestions you get.

Scott - Too close with the Shark!  And the woman wasn't too far off the shore either.

Edited by wenceslasz 2016-05-30 10:48 PM
2016-05-31 10:48 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Missouri

I attached my new aerobars and the BTA bottle system to my bike on Saturday and took it for a test ride on Sunday morning.  I had diluted Gatorade in the front bottle and water in both my other bottles.  I did 30 miles and tried to make sure I took a drink every 15 minutes or so.  Leaning down to get a drink is going to take a little getting used to, but it seemed to work out well.  By the time I finished the ride (just under 2 hours), most of the Gatorade was gone and about 2/3 of one of my water bottles.  I also felt pretty good.  My legs were a little fatigued, but I didn't feel completely worn out like I did during my race last week.  Granted, I didn't do a 45 minute swim before this ride, but the ride was also a little longer.  Either way, I feel good about how the ride went.  Now if I can just keep increasing my mileage for the next 12 weeks, I should be OK for the Ohio race. 

Chris - I agree with what other said, just enjoy your first race.  The only thing I would add is make a list, especially if it's not a local race, then double check it and triple check it.  There's one here on BT that I use for all my races - it's under the "Races" tab at the top of the page - just to make sure I don't forget anything (learned that the hard way during my first season).  Good luck!

Janet

2016-05-31 10:53 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Dorm57 101.7 miles - a great ride and yes I finished it.

Dorm - congrats!  That's quite a ride.  Great job!

2016-05-31 10:43 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by lutzman

A few thoughts:

1) Focus on having fun and learning. Putting together your first race feels a little different than training. Just take it all in.

2) Start the swim toward the rear of your wave, but look to the sides. There is almost always clear water at the edges of the swim pack. You rarely get thrashed on the edges.

3) Don't let your adrenaline cause you to over-ride your bike leg. Keep it well in your range.

4) Enjoy the run. You've earned it.

5) Bask in glory at the finish!

Have a great day.

Steve

And one more...

6) Arrive extra early. It's so great to be able to get set up on the rack in your preferred position and have plenty of time to warm up at your leisure. Nothing is worse than being late and hurried...especially on your first race.

2016-06-01 5:58 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by CL001 Ok. Saturday is my first tri - a sprint...any last minute advice/tips? I'm starting to pack now - getting nervous about forgetting something.

A few thoughts:

1. Focus on having fun and learning. Putting together your first race feels a little different than training. Just take it all in.
  2. Start the swim toward the rear of your wave, but look to the sides. There is almost always clear water at the edges of the swim pack. You rarely get thrashed on the edges.
  3. Don't let your adrenaline cause you to over-ride your bike leg. Keep it well in your range.
  4. Enjoy the run. You've earned it. 5) Bask in glory at the finish!

Have a great day. Steve

And one more...

6) Arrive extra early. It's so great to be able to get set up on the rack in your preferred position and have plenty of time to warm up at your leisure. Nothing is worse than being late and hurried...especially on your first race.

Chris,

I just want to reiterate "HAVE FUN!"  None of us are doing this for a paycheck.  We're all in it to have a good time and bring some fitness to our lives.  Enjoy the moment and have a great day!

2016-06-01 7:33 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Thanks for the tips everyone. Having fun is at the top of my list!!
2016-06-03 8:39 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Weekend Plans?

I know at least two of you are racing this weekend.  One I think it's the first triathlon ever and the other the first triathlon of the season.  How about the rest?  Anyone have anything special planned this weekend?

Long ride and a long run for me.  IT was nearly 105 degrees here today so anything I do is going to be done EARLY in the morning!

2016-06-03 11:33 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Weekend Plans?

I have an Oly tomorrow.  Nothing too exciting although we're expecting 33degC/ 91.4degF and the Oly is an OWS and I only just got into the lake today for a first short 750m swim.

2016-06-05 12:04 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Expert
Missouri

I had a distance PR on the bike today - 37.5 miles.  Wasn't fast (but then again, I'm not fast any time ), but right now I'm just trying to make sure I can get the distance in.  Only about 18 more miles to add on.  Yesterday was an OWS without the wetsuit.  Water was 79* but I needed to do it without the wetsuit anyway just to make sure I can.  Hard to tell if Ohio is going to be wetsuit legal.  Went over the park afterwards for an 8 mile run.  Looking forward to a day off tomorrow and a recovery week coming up.  

George - hope your race went well!

Janet

2016-06-05 2:51 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Well, I'm now hooked even though it wasn't a perfect race. It was fun and challenging! I finished the Cooperstown Sprint Tri in 1:52:52 and was 9/12 in my age group. I was hoping to come in under 2 hours so it was a success! Other than almost knocking over all the bikes in T2 things went pretty much the way I thought they would. I felt the best I ever have doing the OWS. I spent my legs on the swim somehow and it took the first 3 miles on the bike before I thought I'd make it. And the run was the hardest - I definitely need more bricks in my workouts!! But a very good experience overall!

Thanks to everyone here for your help and guidance! I don't think it would have gone so smoothly without your help!

I did a race report, but don't know how to attach it here so you'll have to search it out if you want to see it.
2016-06-06 6:22 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Originally posted by soccermom15

I had a distance PR on the bike today - 37.5 miles.  Wasn't fast (but then again, I'm not fast any time ), but right now I'm just trying to make sure I can get the distance in.

Great work Janet.  I increased my distance gradually by about 10% a week to eventually get to the level wherein I did the 100 miler.  While I didn't get in a 100 mile ride prior to my actual race, I'd ridden several 60'ish milers and these sufficed for me.  Keep up the good work ... sounds like you're getting there.

2016-06-06 11:20 PM

User image

Regular

Well, I'm now hooked even though it wasn't a perfect race. It was fun and challenging! I finished the Cooperstown Sprint Tri in 1:52:52 and was 9/12 in my age group. I was hoping to come in under 2 hours so it was a success! Other than almost knocking over all the bikes in T2 things went pretty much the way I thought they would. I felt the best I ever have doing the OWS. I spent my legs on the swim somehow and it took the first 3 miles on the bike before I thought I'd make it. And the run was the hardest - I definitely need more bricks in my workouts!! But a very good experience overall!

Thanks to everyone here for your help and guidance! I don't think it would have gone so smoothly without your help!

I did a race report, but don't know how to attach it here so you'll have to search it out if you want to see it.

Congrats, Chris!

Glad to hear you had a great time. And there is nothing like an actual race to provide the perfect feedback on where your training should be focused in the future. The good news....the runs do get easier with more brick workouts to simulate the post bike leg fatigue.

Well done!

Best,

Steve
2016-06-06 11:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I just confirmed a reservation to stay at Whistler for the IMCanada 70.3 July 24th.  I'm a little apprehensive about this one because I'm so weak on hill climbing.  I figure if I can get off the bike with some saved energy in my legs I'll be very happy.

My Olympic on Saturday - I won first in my Age Group and won a free entry into the same race next year.  It was that or a bottle of wine.  Turns out I was 1st because I was the only athlete in my AG plus I was the oldest athlete.  I had a fair swim, a slowww bike ride and a slow but better than last year run.  I did finish my run with a 500m sprint and I felt really good crossing the finish line.  Best part of the race was running the 10K in intense heat and crossing the finish line to find some cold watermelon. Tasted so good I went back a couple times.

I stayed at the finish line to wait for the last fellow to finish.  It was his first Tri ever and I had calmed him down before the swim.  Talking to his wife while waiting for him I found out this swim was his first in a wetsuit and his first OWS.  Yikes!!  But he did fairly well in spite of his lack of experience.  

I had yesterday and today off so I now feel like I've been slacking off for a long time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17550 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open