BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-06-29 10:07 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Training Balance

Deb, Once again I enjoyed reading your race report.  Sounds like you had a good solid race.

I do have a couple questions for you - What were you singing to yourself? and What does the diluted gel taste like?

I'm asking because one race I did I got a song in my head (North to Alaska - why that song?) and I couldn't get it out.  Then the diluted gel might be a way for me to take in some good calories.  Up to now I can't bring myself to try a gel.

2016-06-30 5:47 AM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Deb, Once again I enjoyed reading your race report.  Sounds like you had a good solid race.

I do have a couple questions for you - What were you singing to yourself? and What does the diluted gel taste like?

I'm asking because one race I did I got a song in my head (North to Alaska - why that song?) and I couldn't get it out.  Then the diluted gel might be a way for me to take in some good calories.  Up to now I can't bring myself to try a gel.

Thanks George & Scott for the kind words.
George, usually it's "Amazing Grace" that comes to mind--it's long & kind of reassuring, plus I know all the words. Also I was singing "Angel from Montgomery."
The diluted gel doesn't taste like much of anything because I swallow it quickly and it's not in my mouth that long. Just sweetness. I usually mix 50/50 with water, and chase with a bit more water too.
Deb
2016-06-30 9:25 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open

What kind of bike shoes do you use for races/training - road shoe or tri shoe? Favorite brand? What kind of cleats? I'm currently using a road shoe with SPD metal cleats. I like the SPD cleats because I can run in them in transition (because I'm not talented enough to unstrap them while riding and I have baby feet that don't do well running without shoes). Anyone run in their shoes in transition with the three bolt SPD-SL(?) cleats? If so, how do they hold up?

Chris, I use 2 pairs of cycling shoes ... a pair of Scott shoes for road riding exclusively.  For triathlons, I use a pair of Lake TX212 models (I think).  These are the cheapest model and have one wide strap ... not the typical 3 strap w/ratchet which cycling shoes have.  It's super easy to reach down and pull up the one strap 150 yards or so from transition and ride with my feet atop the shoes.  Once I come to a stop, I'm either standing one-legged on a pedal or hop off and run thru T2 barefooted.I did a tri once with road bike shoes after using the Lake Tri shoes, and said I'd not do that again.  Having to fool with the ratchet, the straps and such vs. pulling one strap was too much to deal with.

I'm not a fan of the SPD clips for road biking.  To me the metal to metal clip to pedal surface is kinda slick and I've had trouble clipping in with these ... particularly when I'm trying to go fast thru transition, etc.  I like the LOOK style pedals.  The clips are huge, but super easy to clip in with and also have other good features too.

I usually run out of T1 in my shoes, but run into T2 barefooted.

2016-07-02 7:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: 4th of July Weekend!

July 4th Weekend.  For me that means the beginning of the Tour de France and barbecue! 

So today I did some honey-dos - or stated another way, I earned points for the inevitable day when my triathlon passion intrudes upon marital bliss.  Specifically, I moved furniture.  Then I moved it again.  And again.  FINALLY, it was decided everything was in it's new home (it's worth mention that, in an effort to earn additional points, I had very little to do with the decision!).  Since it took longer than expected to get everything done, I ended up missing my run because the outside temperature had climbed to over 100.  I figure there's some training value in moving furniture around . . . right?  And certainly you must get extra for "move it a couple inches to the right . . . no move it a little to the left . . . more . . . no, back to the right" - 37 times! 

Seriously though, few laps in the pool and a long ride tomorrow morning, then a long run on Monday to earn a juicy steak.  Fireworks are banned in the tinder box that is Southern California so the closest we'll come to "the rockets red glare" and "bombs bursting in air" is watching the National Fireworks on TV.

What's everyone else have on tap?  Anybody racing this weekend?  Anyone else obsessing over the Tour de France?

Edited by k9car363 2016-07-02 7:40 PM
2016-07-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: 4th of July Weekend!
Originally posted by k9car363

July 4th Weekend.  For me that means the beginning of the Tour de France and barbecue! 

So today I did some honey-dos - or stated another way, I earned points for the inevitable day when my triathlon passion intrudes upon marital bliss.  Specifically, I moved furniture.  Then I moved it again.  And again.  FINALLY, it was decided everything was in it's new home (it's worth mention that, in an effort to earn additional points, I had very little to do with the decision!).  Since it took longer than expected to get everything done, I ended up missing my run because the outside temperature had climbed to over 100.  I figure there's some training value in moving furniture around . . . right?  And certainly you must get extra for "move it a couple inches to the right . . . no move it a little to the left . . . more . . . no, back to the right" - 37 times! 

Seriously though, few laps in the pool and a long ride tomorrow morning, then a long run on Monday to earn a juicy steak.  Fireworks are banned in the tinder box that is Southern California so the closest we'll come to "the rockets red glare" and "bombs bursting in air" is watching the National Fireworks on TV.

What's everyone else have on tap?  Anybody racing this weekend?  Anyone else obsessing over the Tour de France?

Scott--definitely obsessing over Le Tour. I love it. It's not much of a holiday up here. We're in the middle of cherry harvest, so there's no July 4 holiday. Our office is working! But, got a decent run in yesterday and a windy bike ride in today with 1800 feet of vertical. My July 4th will be a normal Monday for me...up at 4:30 to get my morning workout underway.

Have a great Independence Day everyone!

Steve
2016-07-03 7:36 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Spencer, New York
Another perfectly lovely day (Around here, sunny days are rare, but we've had a lot this year. Too bad that means drought as well.) I did the longest bike ride I've ever done, 35 miles, on a challenging route with almost 1600' vertical climb. Absolutely lovely farm country and state forest. None of my anxieties came to pass: I didn't get lost, although I did have to ask for directions; I brought everything I needed, made it up the hills without having to get off & push the bike, and got home in time for brunch. I couldn't have done this a year ago.
It wasn't from Speedsville, but I did pass through the charming little hamlet of that name; and I did hit almost 38mph on a couple of downhills. I do like the speedy descents.
I don't watch the Tour, but I'm excited that one of our local runners, Molly Huddle, just qualified for Rio yesterday in the 10k as well as the 5k.
And I don't like fireworks because they always put me in mind of those people who've had the experience of bombs falling on them. Plus the noise is very disturbing to some pets. Positively un-American, I am. I'll just have a quiet 4th this year.
Deb

2016-07-04 2:37 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Quiet 4th for us here too.  It's been raining pretty much all weekend.  I did manage to get in a ride early on Saturday (rode the course for next week's race with a couple of other people), a run yesterday (dodged a few raindrops on that one), and a ride this morning.  I went over to the park and the roads/paths were a little wet along with some misty weather.  I just took it slow and used the ride to play with my gears a little.  I have a triple on my bike and spend about 98% of my time in the middle chain ring.  I've been trying to make myself use the big ring more so did that today.  I realized that if I use the big ring and some of the bigger gears on back, I can get more speed with the same amount of effort as the middle ring/smaller gears.  I know that's probably common knowledge to most but as with most things cycling - I'm a little on the slow side .  

Janet

2016-07-04 6:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try

Then it's just practice, practice to get your feet in and out while moving on the bike, quickly to avoid too much loss of momentum.

I had to kind of chuckle.  I was going back through older posts to make sure I hadn't missed anything and came across what Deb said about practice, practice to get your feet in and out while moving on the bike . . .

Yesterday in Stage 2 of the Tour de France, Alberto Contador, one of the pre-race favorites, had a minor crash.  He was back up and on the bike fairly quickly, but a couple minutes later, they showed him doing a shoe change . . . on the bike . . . at 30+ MPH.  He was using the best road shoes you can get that had ratchets, not Velcro.  I thought it was pretty telling that he had the bike handling skills to get a shoe changed going that fast!  Never mind that someone had the foresight to have an extra pair of shoes in the team car.

(contador.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
contador.jpg (74KB - 29 downloads)
2016-07-04 6:44 PM

User image

Regular
Ouch!

It may have been a "minor" crash based on lack of serious injuries, but if I took a spill like that I would have to change a lot more than my shoes!

(contrador.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
contrador.jpg (18KB - 29 downloads)
2016-07-04 7:49 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman Ouch! It may have been a "minor" crash based on lack of serious injuries, but if I took a spill like that I would have to change a lot more than my shoes!

His day one crash, he went down on his right shoulder then slid into a curb, followed by another rider riding up his back - OUCH!

Day two, he went down fairly "easy" - if you can go down easy, and then three guys landed on top of him.  I'd of been curled up in a ball with my thumb in my mouth after the first crash - these guys are beasts!

Photo - L->R - Contador on the ground about to hit curb, rider about to up Contador's back, Contador's foot under a couple other guys.  Not a good start to a 21-day Grand Tour but he got up and rode away.

(day1-_-2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
day1-_-2.jpg (31KB - 31 downloads)
2016-07-05 2:04 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Then it's just practice, practice to get your feet in and out while moving on the bike, quickly to avoid too much loss of momentum.

I had to kind of chuckle.  I was going back through older posts to make sure I hadn't missed anything and came across what Deb said about practice, practice to get your feet in and out while moving on the bike . . .

Yesterday in Stage 2 of the Tour de France, Alberto Contador, one of the pre-race favorites, had a minor crash.  He was back up and on the bike fairly quickly, but a couple minutes later, they showed him doing a shoe change . . . on the bike . . . at 30+ MPH.  He was using the best road shoes you can get that had ratchets, not Velcro.  I thought it was pretty telling that he had the bike handling skills to get a shoe changed going that fast!  Never mind that someone had the foresight to have an extra pair of shoes in the team car.

Yes, a great accomplishment, but he seems to have a teammate holding him up/keeping him going while he does it.

And all this crashing business is why I have NO desire to bike in road races. Or race dirt bikes for that matter.
Deb

2016-07-05 2:07 PM

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Bike carrier
A new question for you all. My husband is shopping for a hitch-mounted bike rack for his car, so he can take his bike on some yet-theoretical rides. Does anyone have experiences or recommendations about which of these is good or bad?
Deb
2016-07-05 9:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Yes, a great accomplishment, but he seems to have a teammate holding him up/keeping him going while he does it. And all this crashing business is why I have NO desire to bike in road races. Or race dirt bikes for that matter. Deb

It may look in the picture like he was getting assistance but in the video he pretty clearly isn't.  The teammate was merely keeping him guided the right way when he was bending down putting the shoe on.  In any case, this all took place at a pace far exceeding what most of us mere mortals do on good day.

2016-07-05 9:06 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ok2try A new question for you all. My husband is shopping for a hitch-mounted bike rack for his car, so he can take his bike on some yet-theoretical rides. Does anyone have experiences or recommendations about which of these is good or bad? Deb

The only racks I would consider are Thule or Yakima.  Prices range from a couple hundred to "take out a mortgage."  Most of the hitch racks are secure and provide for locking the bike to the rack.  Hope this helps.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/hitch-bike-racks

https://www.yakima.com/mount-location/hitch

Edited by k9car363 2016-07-05 9:07 PM
2016-07-05 9:11 PM

User image

Regular

A new question for you all. My husband is shopping for a hitch-mounted bike rack for his car, so he can take his bike on some yet-theoretical rides. Does anyone have experiences or recommendations about which of these is good or bad?
Deb

Deb:

We've had two. The good news is the racks are easy to mount on your vehicle and it's a breeze to get your bikes on and off....no lifting the bikes onto the roof of your car.

The bad news is in any wet pavement conditions, every bit of road dirt and grease is thrown up off the tires onto your bike. I think they make covers, but I've never tried one. We use our hitch mount for short hauls to/from the bike paths. On any long trips I find a way to put my bike INSIDE my SUV.

Be aware the rear rack can interfere with your vehicles rear back-up camera/radar if you have one on your vehicle. It's not a problem, it just sets off the warning sensor everytime you go in reverse.

You also have to be careful about theft. A bike on the back of your car can be easily nabbed by thieves. Some crook cut the lock cable and stole my wife's bike right off the back of her car while it was parked in the middle of the day at the Gold's Gym parking lot.

Bottom line: If you're just thinking about short hauls, the hitch mount works great. And make sure your bike is always locked on with a heavy duty chain.

Steve
2016-07-06 7:34 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

You also have to be careful about theft. A bike on the back of your car can be easily nabbed by thieves. Some crook cut the lock cable and stole my wife's bike right off the back of her car while it was parked in the middle of the day at the Gold's Gym parking lot. Bottom line: If you're just thinking about short hauls, the hitch mount works great. And make sure your bike is always locked on with a heavy duty chain. Steve

Good point Steve!  I made the comment that most hitch mounts are secure and offer a locking mechanism for the bike.  I didn't say, and I should have, that I don't consider that secure.  It's fine if I'm sitting outside Starbucks and can see the car/bike(s).  I would not trust it for more than a few moments out of sight.  Best to have a secure chain around the vehicle frame and bikes.

Edited by k9car363 2016-07-06 7:36 PM

2016-07-07 4:11 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

The bad news is in any wet pavement conditions, every bit of road dirt and grease is thrown up off the tires onto your bike.
Steve

Oohh, I knew I asked the right group. Steve's response reminded me of something I learned recently.
I most often put my bike, front wheel removed, inside my Honda Fit (one thing I really love about that little car) except when car-pooling to races when I use my trunk-mounted rack. My first race this season was one I carpooled to, and on the way home it just poured down rain. When I took my bike off the rack, I found that water had run into the little spoke nipple holes in my 60mm carbon fairings. Even though they do have weep holes, it took a few weeks for the water in the wheels to completely dissipate. It was very annoying to hear it sloshing around in there. In the future, I vowed, if it's going to rain on my ride to or from a race, I'll at least take the wheels off and put them inside.That means that a wheel-supported mount would be bad for me because I couldn't do that.
And in light of everyone's caution about theft, I guess I'll carry the bike inside for my upcoming race in Buffalo & not get lazy and use my rack.

Almost the weekend...I'm getting excited planning a 40-mile (solo) ride on some country roads along the Susquehanna River in NY & PA. Since the county has made my road temporarily unbikable, I've been exploring some new routes. It's fun.
How about everyone else?
Deb
2016-07-07 8:13 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by lutzman

You also have to be careful about theft. A bike on the back of your car can be easily nabbed by thieves. Some crook cut the lock cable and stole my wife's bike right off the back of her car while it was parked in the middle of the day at the Gold's Gym parking lot. Bottom line: If you're just thinking about short hauls, the hitch mount works great. And make sure your bike is always locked on with a heavy duty chain. Steve

Good point Steve!  I made the comment that most hitch mounts are secure and offer a locking mechanism for the bike.  I didn't say, and I should have, that I don't consider that secure.  It's fine if I'm sitting outside Starbucks and can see the car/bike(s).  I would not trust it for more than a few moments out of sight.  Best to have a secure chain around the vehicle frame and bikes.

Scott:

Even a chain isn't enough. A friend of mine did the Whistler 70.3 a few weeks ago. She won her age group. On the way home she and her boyfriend stopped at a motel for the night and left their bikes on the hitch mounted rack. During the dark hours some pricks cut the chains and stole their bikes. VERY nice bikes. Too bad for my friend who did not have sufficient distrust of her fellow citizens to understand the need to bring their locked bikes into their motel room. But it still sucks. It goes to show you that there are a lot of nasty folks out there waiting for one of us to make the mistake of letting our guard down. Sad.

Steve
2016-07-08 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Reading about bike racks and theft is why I don't want to get a hitch/hitch mounted carrier.  My husband does - he doesn't like it when I put my bike in the back of the car.  I told him it's part of the reason we bought this car in the first place - because my bike fit in the back (I have to take the front wheel off, but it works).  My bike is nothing special, but I like it and can't afford to replace it.  

Race coming up this weekend on Sunday - 1000m/20mi/4mi.  It's actually more of just a training day for me to see how things go and what I still need to work on before Ohio in 6 weeks.  I'll be volunteering at the kid's race tomorrow, then hope to get a short ride in with some people from the tri club if the weather holds.

Have a great weekend!
Janet 

2016-07-10 7:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Morning All - I'm just killing time waiting to head downtown in 45 minutes or so to ride in our local Axel Merckx GranFondo.  Today, I'm riding the VeloceFondo distance of 126km (about 78.3 miles).  It's not a race, although everyone does, it's more about riding and chatting and Aid stations.  Actually, I'm in it for the free beer ( I lucked out with three free beer tickets but I'll share with my wife).

Weatherwise it is a bit cool for the day, overcast but dry.  My riding time with some pretty good climbs (5 specific hills) should be 5:20-ish but total time with stops about 6 hours.  It is usually a fun day.  

Just now the sun is rising over the mountains and shining straight into my eyes so I can't easily see my keyboard.

Hope everyone has a good day.

PS - There will be about 2700 riders heading out at 7am.  I'll be near the back of the pack so it will take me about 10 minutes just to get to the start line after the 7am start time.

Edited by wenceslasz 2016-07-10 8:02 AM
2016-07-10 4:14 PM

User image

Regular

Morning All - I'm just killing time waiting to head downtown in 45 minutes or so to ride in our local Axel Merckx GranFondo.  Today, I'm riding the VeloceFondo distance of 126km (about 78.3 miles).  There will be about 2700 riders heading out at 7am.  I'll be near the back of the pack so it will take me about 10 minutes just to get to the start line after the 7am start time.

You're the man, George!

2016-07-12 11:53 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Here's my race report for the race I did on Sunday.  Even though I finished last in my age group and near the bottom overall, I was very happy with my results.  I was using this as more of a training day anyway so didn't expect too much.  I had a general goal time in mind and only missed that by about 10 minutes (which I attribute mostly to my slow transition times and some headwinds on the bike).  Best of all, I actually felt good when I crossed the finish line.  Part of that was due to the nice weather - warm but not hot like it usually is - but I think part of it also is the training I've been putting in.  Even though I've missed some days, the long bike rides and swims have paid off.  And I'm starting to figure out what I need nutrition-wise - all good things for my race next month.  A couple more practice swims and some long bike rides and I think I should be ready for Ohio!

Janet

2016-07-13 3:46 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

- There will be about 2700 riders heading out at 7am.  I'll be near the back of the pack so it will take me about 10 minutes just to get to the start line after the 7am start time.

George: 10 minutes to reach the start line...now that just doesn't seem fair! 2700 riders, 78 miles...you're a better man than I am, George! Waiting for your report how it went.

Janet: thanks for the interesting race report. I think you did very well and are right to be happy with yourself.
I do urge you to take a careful look at your T-1, I think you could be leaving some free time on the table.
Think of Transition as this way: IT'S PART OF THE RACE!
It could be a legitimate part of your race purpose or plan to use it as something of a recovery time, in which case take as long as you need and nevermind the below.
Otherwise, I'd suggest you do some practicing with stop watch in hand. Exactly how many seconds does it take you to strip your wetsuit (if you wear one)? How many to put on your helmet? What is smoothest for you, helmet first, then sunglasses or vice versa? Try it both ways, timed if need be. Practice this move over & over so that you don't fumble with the buckle.
Where's the best place to have your helmet & glasses ready for you? (For me, the helmet is on the aerobars, the glasses next to it.)
Do you wear socks? Have you ever tried cycling and running without them? If not, try that in training. Baby powder in the shoes makes them go easily onto wet feet. Do you really REALLY need socks? Same with gloves. I wear them on training rides but I've found I can do without them in races.Same with everything: do you really NEED it and can it be done faster?
In short, think of yourself as an efficiency expert and examine and time every motion to see if it can be eliminated or done faster & more smoothly. Is a different order of your motions more efficient?
I apologize to everyone if I sound like I'm ranting or preaching. I'm a little bit competitive and I figured out early on that transition is the one thing where the playing field is a bit more level no matter what your age.

Friday I'm heading up to Buffalo for my 1st Oly of the season on Saturday. Dealing with a little recurrence of an old injury so having a bit more rest than planned. I'm not nervous, not me! Anyone else doing anything fun?
Deb

2016-07-13 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Sorry I've been AWOL for a couple days.  I had a good time on Sunday.  It only took 7 minutes to cross the start line (and we counted 2733 riders total).  At the end they give us a chip time - activated when you cross the start line and ended when you finish.  Plus they give your time as though you started at 7am before crossing the start line.  Not sure why they bother with the 2nd numbers it is the chip time that tells how long your ride was.

I haven't had time on the computer the last couple nights but I'll write up a report tonight.  Normally I am well to the back of the pack so I was pleased to finish 49 out of 74 in my Age Group.  Now I can say I was "at the front of the back of the pack".  It's not a big deal but it felt like improvement.

Now I want to go read Janet's race report.

Edited by wenceslasz 2016-07-13 6:27 PM
2016-07-14 5:49 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Here's my race report for the race I did on Sunday.  Even though I finished last in my age group and near the bottom overall, I was very happy with my results.  I was using this as more of a training day anyway so didn't expect too much . . .

Janet

Hey Janet.

Good race report!  Sounds like you had a good time and met your expectations.

That's what it's all about!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17377 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open