BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-02-02 11:56 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Expert
Missouri
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open

Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by soccermom15

So I tried my first run yesterday morning using the Maffetone HR method.  A few observations:

1. I figured at my normally slow running pace, I wouldn't have too much trouble keeping under 128 bpm.  I was wrong (really wrong!).
2. Even at my new, even slower running pace my HR still jumps to the low 130's after about 30 seconds or so, but... 
3. My HR drops back down to the high 110's pretty quickly, so I'm still basically doing the run/walk that I had been, it's just that the intervals are shorter than the 2/2 I was using before.

Hey Janet,

It wasn't completely clear to me if your HR is jumping before you are warmed-up or after you are warmed-up and you begin to run, so a couple comments addressing both situations -

It isn't uncommon for HR to rapidly rise if you aren't fully warmed up.  It will come back down as your body gets warmed up or obviously if you reduce the effort.  People that experience this often don't notice the phenomenon because they simply aren't paying particularly close attention to their HR until they begin to use a method that requires they keep their HR strictly below a certain number.  My suggestion would be to easy walk 5', the brisk walk 5', then easy jog 5'.  THEN begin your workout.  I suspect you will not see the dramatic spike in your HR.

On the other hand, if you are fully warm-up and your HR quickly spikes with effort, that would imply your aerobic engine is not very well developed and you are quickly going anaerobic which is a good indicator you need to work on the aerobic base with low HR efforts (as you are doing!).

As your body becomes more proficient at utilizing fat for fuel, in 4-8 weeks your should begin to see your pace begin to get faster at the same HR.  In the meantime, as you complete more runs, you will get a sense of the "rhythm" of the run to maintain the lower HR, i.e.run at 'x' pace for 'x' minutes, then walk for 'x' minutes or seconds, then repeat.

Scott - It's probably a little bit of both.  I have to admit that I'm not really good about doing an actual warm-up.  If I do one at all, it's usually just 3-4 minutes of walking then I start right in with my run.  I know my HR spikes a bit at the beginning because of that but it usually levels out after a while, and when I say levels out I mean 145-150 so a lot higher than what it should be for an easy run.  

Janet

2016-02-02 6:40 PM
in reply to: pete82adams

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by pete82adams

I would like to join the group.

Name: Pete (Pete82Adams)

I'm 55, and just did my first sprint triathlons last year. In June of 2014, my then future SIL did Ironman Coeur d'alene, and we drove to Idaho with my daughter to cheer him on. After that, I decided to try it. I've always been active, even if i'm not very good. I did 4 sprints last year. It's a good way for me to be active and channel my energy.

I've been married for 27 years and have one daughter (and son-in-law).

Current Training - 5-6 workouts per week, semi-organized. We just moved from Dallas to Austin, so my training has been massively interrupted. working on building up running. i've had 3 knee operations and am terrified of having more. so i have been very slowly ramping up my running 5-6 times a week, low mileage run/walk.

This year's races: 4 sprints.

Upcoming races:no plan yet, but probably a few sprints starting in May. I'm considering the Austin half Ironman (just don't tell my wife).

Weightloss - i want to lose 10 pounds and get down to 180. i think that is my right weight. I was there but the move has played havoc on my life and diet.

Pete

Hello Pete.

Welcome to the group.

You have watched a HIM so you know what you are getting in to.  Even better, your SIL will be there to motivate  you!

I will say this quietly so your wife doesn't hear!  If you are seriously considering the Austin 70.3 in October, you're probably going to want to start tailoring your training for that fairly quickly.  Specifically, you should be working on building your aerobic base if you are planning to go long.  What kind of training volume have you been putting in of late?

Everyone here is generally happy to answer any questions so fire away if you have any.

2016-02-02 7:05 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

Scott - It's probably a little bit of both.  I have to admit that I'm not really good about doing an actual warm-up.  If I do one at all, it's usually just 3-4 minutes of walking then I start right in with my run.  I know my HR spikes a bit at the beginning because of that but it usually levels out after a while, and when I say levels out I mean 145-150 so a lot higher than what it should be for an easy run.  

Janet

Hey Janet,

The warm-up police took the day off today so I think you are in the clear!  That said, just my humble opinion, but you might consider a 10-15 easy jog warm-up, actually I suggest a 5' easy walk, 5' brisk walk, 5' jog to warm-up and slowly bring your HR up.

Have you have done the run lactate threshold field test to accurately set your zones?  If  you haven't done that test, how did you set your zones? 

Given your age, you are probably correct that 145-150 is high for an easy run.  That suggests one of three things, a) your HR zones are incorrect, b) you are running too hard,  or c) your aerobic base can be further developed.

If I recall, you have been generally following a Z2 run/walk plan, and are transitioning to the Maffetone method, correct?

If you are indeed following the Maffetone method I would suggest holding off on a lactate threshold test until you have developed a bit better base and strengthened you legs a little bit.  The lactate test is strenuous and with your injury history, it would probably be better to wait given you are using a viable alternative.

Just my two cents.

2016-02-02 7:56 PM
in reply to: pete82adams

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by pete82adams

I would like to join the group.

Name: Pete (Pete82Adams)

I'm 55, and just did my first sprint triathlons last year. In June of 2014, my then future SIL did Ironman Coeur d'alene, and we drove to Idaho with my daughter to cheer him on. After that, I decided to try it. I've always been active, even if i'm not very good. I did 4 sprints last year. It's a good way for me to be active and channel my energy.

I've been married for 27 years and have one daughter (and son-in-law).

Current Training - 5-6 workouts per week, semi-organized. We just moved from Dallas to Austin, so my training has been massively interrupted.
working on building up running. i've had 3 knee operations and am terrified of having more. so i have been very slowly ramping up my running 5-6 times a week, low mileage run/walk.

This year's races: 4 sprints.

Upcoming races:no plan yet, but probably a few sprints starting in May. I'm considering the Austin half Ironman (just don't tell my wife).

Weightloss - i want to lose 10 pounds and get down to 180. i think that is my right weight. I was there but the move has played havoc on my life and diet.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Your story resonates with me, since I did my first HIM last year in what was my second season of doing tri's. I can tell you it was challenging to move up to that distance, but certainly doable.

Welcome to the group. Glad to have you with us.

Dave

2016-02-02 8:31 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Hey..I gotta question - any suggestions for a new fitness tracker which is also a decent watch? I have used Polar - but don't really want another because it's not as 'user friendly' for apps and uploading and Garmin but it was not a watch to wear. Both of those are now obsolete anyhow. Been eyeing the GarminVivosmart and VivoActive and Fitbits. I would ideally like a HRM along with GPS. I've been using Endomondo for tracking the last year or 2 but let my premium status lapse now. I have a WAHOO hrm but that was not really a smart buy. The thing is that I HATE having to upload stuff manually and here on BT...none of what I have now loads up to BT. UGH! I'm not very techno savvy either but do like some way to see overall workouts, improvements, etc.. I really don't want to spend in excess of $250 either because honestly it will likely be under utilized for what my level of training is or will be too.
Suggestions? Likes / dislikes? Thanks!
2016-02-02 9:01 PM

Hi all ! Was wondering if the group was still open to new members ? My hair is pure silver and white, not sure if that is the prerequisite to join !!!

STORY : My name is Bill Johnson, I am 56 and a business professional in Grand Rapids, Michigan. After losing 72 pounds 5 years ago I discovered I could be an adult onset athlete. I am entering my third triathlon season following doing a marathon two years ago and deciding my old body simply did not like all that run training. The multi-disciplinary training for triathlons is much kinder to my body and I love the variety. I am a big guy at 6 feet 4 inches and slow but constantly challenging myself to improve and feel very blessed to be able to do these activities. Although I am 56 I am still trying to find my upper limit and that is kind of fun !!

I have completed a multitude of 5K and 10Ks, a few 10 milers, 8 half marathons, a 25K and a marathon along with 4 Sprint Tris and one indoor Tri.

FAMILY : Happily married to my best friend for 9 years ( known each other for 25 years ... we really were best friends and still are !!) – I have two children, all grown and married along with our 4 grandchildren with number five on the way due in April.

CURRENT TRAINING: At the end of Tri season last Fall I decided to take a three month break to give my body a break after 4 straight years of training. I just started a Training Peaks Olympic distance beginner program. Only two weeks in so I am starting to get back in the groove with two swims, two bikes and two runs each week. Living in Michigan, biking and swimming are limited to indoors right now, runs are outdoors or on the dreadmill if too icy on the streets.

WEIGHT LOSS – The three month layoff added one pound per week to me so definitely need to take off the excess as I am feeling the extra baggage in my workouts ... although I do now qualify for the Clydesdale classification !! I am struggling with trying to find the right nutrition mix that allows for sustaining the rigors of training yet allows for weight loss and maintenance. Being a big guy I have struggled with this since beginning to train regularly 5 year years ago. Before that time Weight Watchers taught me well ... I know how to go low carb, low fat, lean protein to lose weight ... That does not translate well to muscle development, recovery and prepping for training sessions. I have read a lot on nutrition to the point of overload, plus many of the articles seem geared toward young athletes so any good 50+ year old advise would be appreciated !!! I am considering meeting with a nutritionist however finding one who understands the needs of an older athlete is like trying to find a purple squirrel plus I don't want to take any new age supplements, do a cleanse or drink any proprietary shakes (besides the green ones I make myself) ... very interested only in eating real food !!

GOALS for 2016: I am still planning my races. I am moving up to Olympic distance this year with my eye set on a Half Ironman in 2017. I currently am only registered for one race, a half marathon; The Sunburst Races in South Bend, IN.

CHALLENGES: While I feel very comfortable with the swim and am working on increasing speed, the bike and run off the bike are areas I need to improve upon. I learned last year I need to incorporate more bike/run brick workouts into my training plan as many of my runs during races were more like zombie walking then running. As far as improving on the bike, I seem to be stuck in a rut and not improving. People have recommended spin classes and such, once again any 50+ advise is welcome. I am going to check out the TrainerRoad site recommended in an earlier post.

From what I have read in previous posts hopefully you will accept me as a very grateful person who finally found a group who gets it !!

2016-02-02 9:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI
Originally posted by fab4ever

• As far as improving on the bike, I seem to be stuck in a rut and not improving. People have recommended spin classes and such, once again any 50+ advise is welcome.

• I teach indoor cycling from time to time and highly recommend it as a means of pedaling when you can't get outside or hate a trainer. It is a great way to push yourself and help increase your endurance, strength and even help with your vo2 max during the winter when typically we don't ride outside or even really push ourselves with speed when running (or at least I rarely do unless on a treadmill) because of A) darkness when running at 530 am or B) slippery spots with living in the northern half of the US. Anyhow... there are several 40s, 50s and some 60+ folks that attend the classes. Some are new to exercising and some are avid cyclists - the beauty is that you are the master of your resistance knob and can control your intensity and level of aerobic output - so everyone gets a good workout for their level of fitness!

Edited by BbMoozer 2016-02-02 9:15 PM
    2016-02-02 9:37 PM

User image

Thanks for the reply. I was the opposite. Swam to stay in shape for water polo. You're right...at that time if you did one, you did the other. All three of my kids did both but the coaches really push for year-round dedication these days. Fortunately, I really enjoy swimming.

I believe I opened up my log for you to be able to view. It's not the most accurate in terms of pace. It gets the info from my Garmin Fenix 3 but doesn't translate the indoor training on a treadmill very well.

My volume is low right now. I work about 50 hours a week with some weekend work. I agree about the least volume possible and I really want to maximize every workout given the limited time. I was toying with the idea of AZ 70.3 because it's October, 2016, but I may need to get a solid season of Oly distances and shoot for 2017. I have done the Oly distance before been it has been a couple of years. In the past several months, I have raced a 1.2 mile swim (avg 1:33/100yrd), ran a 15k race (8:55 pace...ug) and did a couple of sprints.

I need to get a plan and put some races on the calendar. It keeps me accountable.

Thanks again!
    2016-02-02 9:56 PM
    in reply to: magliato

User image

Regular
    East Wenatchee, Washington
    Hey everyone:

We have lots of new folks joining our group. Please help us learn your names by ending any posts with your name....or whatever moniker you would like the rest of us to use when we respond.

Thanks and happy training!

Steve
    2016-02-02 10:00 PM
    in reply to: fab4ever

User image

Regular

Hi all ! Was wondering if the group was still open to new members ? My hair is pure silver and white, not sure if that is the prerequisite to join !!!

STORY : My name is Bill Johnson, I am 56 and a business professional in Grand Rapids, Michigan. After losing 72 pounds 5 years ago I discovered I could be an adult onset athlete.

GOALS for 2016: I am still planning my races. I am moving up to Olympic distance this year with my eye set on a Half Ironman in 2017. I currently am only registered for one race, a half marathon; The Sunburst Races in South Bend, IN.

CHALLENGES: While I feel very comfortable with the swim and am working on increasing speed, the bike and run off the bike are areas I need to improve upon. I learned last year I need to incorporate more bike/run brick workouts into my training plan as many of my runs during races were more like zombie walking then running. As far as improving on the bike, I seem to be stuck in a rut and not improving. People have recommended spin classes and such, once again any 50+ advise is welcome. I am going to check out the TrainerRoad site recommended in an earlier post.

From what I have read in previous posts hopefully you will accept me as a very grateful person who finally found a group who gets it !!

Bill--you'll fit right in here. Welcome to the group. 72 pounds lost??!!! That is fabulous. Congratulations.

Steve
    2016-02-02 10:33 PM
    in reply to: BbMoozer

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by BbMoozer

Hey..I gotta question - any suggestions for a new fitness tracker which is also a decent watch? I have used Polar - but don't really want another because it's not as 'user friendly' for apps and uploading and Garmin but it was not a watch to wear. Both of those are now obsolete anyhow. Been eyeing the GarminVivosmart and VivoActive and Fitbits. I would ideally like a HRM along with GPS. I've been using Endomondo for tracking the last year or 2 but let my premium status lapse now. I have a WAHOO hrm but that was not really a smart buy. The thing is that I HATE having to upload stuff manually and here on BT...none of what I have now loads up to BT. UGH! I'm not very techno savvy either but do like some way to see overall workouts, improvements, etc.. I really don't want to spend in excess of $250 either because honestly it will likely be under utilized for what my level of training is or will be too. Suggestions? Likes / dislikes? Thanks!

Hey Sarah,

Watches that record your workouts, upload to Garmin (or some other vendor specific site), upload to BT (or other 3rd party sites) and can function as a day to day watch are pretty much out of your stated price range unless you go with the Garmin Vivoactive.  That is the watch they are using on Biggest Loser if anyone else is a fan.  Here is a link to DC Rainmaker's review of the watch - http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/garmin-vivoactive-in-depth-review.html.  The biggest drawback I can see is that it does not support a power meter on the bike.  However, if you are looking at power, you are looking at a substantial investment and most of the people I know prefer a cycling computer at any rate.

The other options that come to mind are the Garmin Forerunner 920XT and the Garmin Fenix 3.  Both of those are in the $500+ price range.  Both of them will do ANYTHING you would ever want from a sports watch.  The 920XT kind of screams out "I am a sports watch," although it will display a typical watch face.  The Fenix 3 is virtually indistinguishable from a high end "regular" watch.

Hope that helps.

2016-02-02 10:43 PM
    in reply to: fab4ever

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Hey Bill!

I don't know about anybody else, but what I get is that I am going to resist old age at every opportunity.  Yeah, things change as we add candles to the cake but that doesn't mean we have to get old.

Setting your sights on an Olympic this year and stepping up to 70.3 is a sound plan.

Welcome to the group!

2016-02-02 11:11 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by magliato

Thanks for the reply. I was the opposite. Swam to stay in shape for water polo. You're right...at that time if you did one, you did the other. All three of my kids did both but the coaches really push for year-round dedication these days. Fortunately, I really enjoy swimming.

I believe I opened up my log for you to be able to view. It's not the most accurate in terms of pace. It gets the info from my Garmin Fenix 3 but doesn't translate the indoor training on a treadmill very well.

My volume is low right now. I work about 50 hours a week with some weekend work. I agree about the least volume possible and I really want to maximize every workout given the limited time. I was toying with the idea of AZ 70.3 because it's October, 2016, but I may need to get a solid season of Oly distances and shoot for 2017. I have done the Oly distance before been it has been a couple of years. In the past several months, I have raced a 1.2 mile swim (avg 1:33/100yrd), ran a 15k race (8:55 pace...ug) and did a couple of sprints.

I need to get a plan and put some races on the calendar. It keeps me accountable.

Thanks again!

Hey Guido,

When I was swimming in high school, I was also swimming for a local club team and was a member of the US National team.  Four other guys on the HS swim team were on the same club team as I was and it happened that our club coach happened to be the US National and US Olympic team coach.  Our HS swim coach intelligently let our club coach write our HS swim workouts for us.  The HS water polo coach basically begged all of us to play water polo so he would have a team.  Yeah, I played but my heart was never really in water polo even though we went to State finals my senior year.

Anyway . . .

Yes, I was able to view your training log.  I am sure you know this, a 70.3 has a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run.  You have a swimming background so that will help immensely and you have already done 1.2 miles in competition so no problem there.  You are running now, so that is simply a matter of building sufficient base to be able to go the 13.1 distance.  I suspect your limiter is going to be the bike.  At the paces I saw in your log you will be on the bike for nearly 5-hours.  There is a saying, you can't have a good run if you don't have a good bike.  What that means is that bike fitness and pacing carries over to the run.  Don't know what you currently have for a bike or if you have a bike trainer.  If you have both, I'd strongly encourage you to sign-up for Trainer Road and start with at least the Sweet Spot Base Mid-Volume plan.  That will begin to build a solid aerobic base on the bike.  Once that plan is done, we can talk about the best way to build towards the race distance.  While you are doing the base plan, you can make the final decision on whether to attempt the 70.3 or compete at the Olympic distance.

By the way, I also have a Fenix 3 and if you get a footpod it is remarkably accurate on the treadmill.

There are several good plans here on BT.  The problem with the pre-written plans is that they are written for the masses, not for YOU.  That is fine when you don't have other things going on.  In your case, you aren't sure what distance you might ultimately be racing.  My suggestion is to look at the HIM plans and at least start with one of those to begin building base and then you can alter the plan once you make the final decision on race distance.  I worked with an athlete last year helping him get ready for Ironman Louisville and while he had a couple 20-hour training weeks about 5-weeks out from the race, most of his weeks maxed out around 15-hours.  Realistically, for a half-Ironman, you will likely need to commit to 8-14 hours per week at the maximum to give you an idea of the time commitment (depending upon whether you want to just finish, finish with a smile on your face, or compete).

Hope that helps.

Edited by k9car363 2016-02-02 11:24 PM
    2016-02-02 11:28 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by magliato

Thanks again!

Hey Guido,

I just looked at the free plans here on BT.  There is a Winter Maintenance - 8 Week Bike Focus plan that would probably be ideal for you.  If you have a bike and trainer, I would substitute Trainer Road for the bike workouts.  Doing this particular plan will begin to lay a good foundation that you can build on.

Happy training!

Edited by k9car363 2016-02-02 11:29 PM
    2016-02-03 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
    Cheesehead, WI
    thanks Scott RE: watch recos. I took a quick look at that link and WOW... tons of info - so will read more thoroughly later. Appreciate the feedback.
    2016-02-04 1:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Penticton, BC

Just a little excited.  I just signed up for my 1st race of the season.  Cherry Blossom Sprint in Kelowna this May 1st. 700m swim; 22km bike; 5km run.  My goal will be to beat 100 minutes.  It will be a pool swim - lakes will be too cold to swim in until June.

I still have to sign up for:

June 5th Oliver 1km/54km/10km (beat 4 hours)

June 26th Osoyoos HIM.  Should be a lot of fun. (beat 7 hours)

July 10th Axel Merckx Granfondo (160km fun ride with just over a mile of climbing - beat 7 hours)

August 28th Challenge Penticton (3km swim/ 120km bike/ 30km run).  If Oliver and Osoyoos go well.  I may also sign up for a late season Oly and HM if all goes well.

So what does everyone else's calendar look like for the season? (any Swim only events?)  One year I'll have to do the Peachland Rattlesnake Island swim (3 or 7 km swim - across Okanagan Lake).

Scott - As you suggested I've picked up my swimming a bit over the last week and I believe I'm feeling a difference in the water.  Yesterday I was alternating between 100m and 50m intervals with the 50m being fast.  I focused on kicking fast, keeping my feet high (breaking the surface), extending my reach and engaging my core (abdominals) to pull harder.  I could feel myself accelerating when I got all of them going.  I'm sure I've got a long way to go but I love the feeling of speed in the water.  I also found out when Jonny instructs his swimmers so I'll be getting up early again to go watch.  I'm hoping I could keep my 3 swims on M/W/F and attend one of his on Tues or Thurs.

2016-02-04 2:48 PM
    in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by wenceslasz

Just a little excited.  I just signed up for my 1st race of the season.  .

So what does everyone else's calendar look like for the season? (any Swim only events?)  

Hi George:

On a lark I signed up for a half marathon in Miami the first weekend in March. I have to be there over that weekend on business. I was going to do a local tri there but then I got sucked into a business meeting Indianapolis on the Monday after....too much hassle to haul my bike so I pulled the plug on Plan A and went with the HM idea. Stay tuned....

I'm set for the Lavaman Waikoloa in Kona the first weekend in April. That will be my first Tri of the year and provide a good benchmark for the balance of the year. There's a duathlon in late April in Western Washington that I'm thinking about doing as well. I sort of see these events as "motivators" to get me focused on workout mode over the winter.

No Chelanman for you this year?

Best,

Steve
    2016-02-04 4:03 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
    George,

Isn't it a great feeling to have a race on the calendar? Like you, I get energized once I get the confirmation email. Sometimes its a bit intimidating, but I'm always motivated. Looks like you're doing some significant distances this year. Nice.

Steve,

I'd say there's nothing like a race in Miami followed by another in Kona to help shake off the winter doldrums!!! Wow, that Kona course looks cool.

So far, I've only registered for two races, but I have a full list on my calendar. My current plan is:

Charleston, SC HM Jan. Completed
    Ct Fastrak 15k road race April
    REV3 Quassy Olympic Tri June Registered. (This one will be tough. I think even the swim is uphill)
    Litchfield Hills Olympic Tri July maybe
    Niantic Bay Sprint Tri Aug Last speed work before HIM
    Timberman 70.3 Tri Aug Goal is 5:59 (6:42 finish last year)
    Hartford HM or B2B 70.3 Oct. Depending on schedule and recovery from Timberman race.

This list is helping to keep me focused on my winter training plan.

2016-02-04 6:59 PM
    in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Spencer, New York
    Subject: RE: Run Less Run Faster
    Hi all,
    I wanted to comment on my experience with the Run Less Run Faster approach since Steve and someone else mentioned it. I tried following this program 3 or 4 years ago, as my first attempt to get faster after managing to finish a few tris. My experience wasn't good. It prescribes 3 runs per week--a long one, a tempo, and a track workout--with pace targets based on your 5k time. The targets were challenging, and I found myself often very frustrated because I couldn't reach them. I also worked way too hard in the attempt, was exhausted much of the time, and became first sick and later injured.
    In fairness, as a novice I certainly didn't enough of an aerobic base in place first. For a long-time runner like Steve, that might not be a problem; but I definitely don't think the program is appropriate for an athlete without a good well-established base.

Secondly, the philosophy of the program is to deliberately make each of the workouts a "quality" (read hard) effort; the runner--and it is designed with runners in mind--is to gain their easier aerobic work on off-days through cross-training like cycling. If you follow that line of thought, all or nearly all of your cycling would have to be low-intensity. For a triathlete that seems like it would short-change her or his training, since the cycling segment in an event is much longer than the running segment, and since a weak or over-stressful cycling leg will set you up for a bad run.
    So I really don't think the program is appropriate for triathletes either.
    Just my 2 cents, as Scott would say.

I also wanted to say Hi to all the new people here as well as old friends from last season. It looks like it'll be an interesting year; can't wait to hear about your races & training adventures.

Deb
    2016-02-04 7:58 PM
    in reply to: ok2try

User image

Upstate, New York
    Bronze member
    I just finished reading the Run Less Run Faster book and wasn't sure about hard/fast workouts either. Even your long run seems pretty fast. But I guess its like what has been said before here - no one plan is perfect for everyone. You need to use these as a template and then adjust it to your needs and capabilities.

So, my next question is wetsuits. I've been looking at them and I'm not sure what I would need or want. Any advice on brands? Suit thickness? How about sleeveless or with sleeves? I imagine some of this depends on water temp but how cold would the water have to be before you wouldn't want a sleeveless suit? Anything else I should be considering?
    2016-02-04 9:09 PM
    in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
    Originally posted by ok2try

Hi all,
    I wanted to comment on my experience with the Run Less Run Faster approach since Steve and someone else mentioned it. I tried following this program 3 or 4 years ago, as my first attempt to get faster after managing to finish a few tris. My experience wasn't good. It prescribes 3 runs per week--a long one, a tempo, and a track workout--with pace targets based on your 5k time. The targets were challenging, and I found myself often very frustrated because I couldn't reach them. I also worked way too hard in the attempt, was exhausted much of the time, and became first sick and later injured.
    In fairness, as a novice I certainly didn't enough of an aerobic base in place first. For a long-time runner like Steve, that might not be a problem; but I definitely don't think the program is appropriate for an athlete without a good well-established base.

Secondly, the philosophy of the program is to deliberately make each of the workouts a "quality" (read hard) effort; the runner--and it is designed with runners in mind--is to gain their easier aerobic work on off-days through cross-training like cycling. If you follow that line of thought, all or nearly all of your cycling would have to be low-intensity. For a triathlete that seems like it would short-change her or his training, since the cycling segment in an event is much longer than the running segment, and since a weak or over-stressful cycling leg will set you up for a bad run.
    So I really don't think the program is appropriate for triathletes either.
    Just my 2 cents, as Scott would say.

I also wanted to say Hi to all the new people here as well as old friends from last season. It looks like it'll be an interesting year; can't wait to hear about your races & training adventures.

Deb

Good feedback Deb,

A few comments:

I had a very different experience than what you describe. Following the program I was much less fatigued than traditional marathon training. I put in fewer running miles but the miles I did run were much more focused. I also didn't experience the issue you describe with the program being "hard" all the time. Yes, the interval workouts were challenging, but the tempo and long runs were, at least for me, quite doable--building over time--and helped me train very specifically to run a personal best in the marathon at age 53 (3:12). I was actually training for a sub 3:10 but a very hot day in Chicago cooked me and everybody else so I was happy with the result.

I totally agree with your observation that the program is written for runners, not triathletes. As you point out, it probably won't work for triathlete as designed. Moreover, like every generic training program personal modifications must be made based on a number of factors (experience, fitness, age, skill, etc.). LIke you, in some cases I also found the workout plans too taxing. In those cases I just dropped down a level to workouts/paces that were more in line with my capabilities.

That said, here's what I like about their program:

1) It focuses on "train with a purpose." The fundamental idea that every single workout needs to have a purpose that specifically builds toward the larger goal is sound. It may be speed, pacing, endurance or even recovery. Before I found this program I was reasonably good at structuring a training program to create and reach fitness but not so good at optimizing the individual daily workouts over multiple weeks. In short, I was doing far more running than I actually needed, beating my body up for no real gain. Their training program--with personal modifications---successfully aligned my specific workouts and overall mileage with my goals..

2) When I plugged my fitness into their suggested training workouts ("You're ready to train for X if you can run this distance at this speed) I generally found the paces to be within my capabilities...gradually building speed and endurance over time to hit the goal. I specifically recall feeling fresher following this program than any marathon training program I had ever followed which had usually left me chronically fatigued.

In the end, it really is a running program, not a triathlon program. But I did find the run pacing/workout guides which build to specific distance/time goals to be useful to incorporate into my personalized triathlon training program.

Full disclosure--I'm not currently using their program. The last time I used it was about 30 months ago and it got me to a (run only) sub 20 5K. I was very happy with that result at age 57. I don't have the fitness base now so I haven't been inclined to go back to their book...yet. But I do try to incorporate the core disciplines of training with purpose and building components of speed improvement, pace training and aerobic building (long run) into my weekly program. 3 runs a week, each with a purpose, swim and bike training on the non running days.

Best,

Steve

2016-02-04 9:18 PM
    in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by CL001

So, my next question is wetsuits. I've been looking at them and I'm not sure what I would need or want. Any advice on brands? Suit thickness? How about sleeveless or with sleeves? I imagine some of this depends on water temp but how cold would the water have to be before you wouldn't want a sleeveless suit? Anything else I should be considering?

Hey Chris,

Wetsuits are kind of like cars in that there are many brands with varying levels of performance.  Maximum thickness is 5mm although the thickness varies in different areas of most wetsuits.  Sleeves or sleeveless is an area often debated.  A sleeveless wetsuit obviously is not as warm although it is easier to get on and off.  One the one hand, you have a bit more shoulder mobility with a sleeveless wetsuit; on the other hand, there are those that feel a sleeveless wetsuit has additional drag because of the opening around the shoulders which allows water in if the wetsuit doesn't fit properly (or even if it does fit properly).  Which type is largely a matter of personal preference and somewhat dependent upon the expected water temperature.

Wetsuits range from ~ $ 130.00 (on sale) to upwards of several hundred dollars for the high end wetsuits.

You might consider renting one for your first race to make sure you are really in triathlon for the long haul.  Here are a couple links to sites that provide rentals -

http://www.trisports.com/trisports-rental-wetsuits.html - this particular site is currently offering a 10% discount on your first rental.  They also will apply your rental fee to the purchase of the website if you choose to buy it.  They have a VERY good staff and will make sure you have the perfect size.  Way back when, this is where I rented a wetsuit for my first race.  They send it out early so you can get a swim in wearing the wetsuit before the race (I strongly urge you to swim in the wetsuit before raceday as it is DIFFERENT swimming in a wetsuit).

https://www.triwetsuitrentals.com/rent-wetsuit/ - This site is a little less expensive then the first one and they ship the wetsuit a bit earlier so you have a greater opportunity to swim in it before the race.  If you decide to purchase the wetsuit you rent here they take $25 off of the purchase price so not quite as good a purchase deal.

If you decide to rent a wetsuit, make sure you are clear on the damage policy - neoprene can be torn rather easily, make sure you now what you might be liable for and what is included.  Most rental companies expect small tears as a cost of doing business.  Just make sure you and the rental company are on the same page regarding the damage policy.

Hope that helps.

2016-02-05 8:59 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Just a little excited.  I just signed up for my 1st race of the season.  Cherry Blossom Sprint in Kelowna this May 1st. 700m swim; 22km bike; 5km run.  My goal will be to beat 100 minutes.  It will be a pool swim - lakes will be too cold to swim in until June . . .

So what does everyone else's calendar look like for the season? (any Swim only events?)  One year I'll have to do the Peachland Rattlesnake Island swim (3 or 7 km swim - across Okanagan Lake) . . .

Scott - As you suggested I've picked up my swimming a bit over the last week and I believe I'm feeling a difference in the water.  Yesterday I was alternating between 100m and 50m intervals with the 50m being fast.  I focused on kicking fast, keeping my feet high (breaking the surface), extending my reach and engaging my core (abdominals) to pull harder.  I could feel myself accelerating when I got all of them going.  I'm sure I've got a long way to go but I love the feeling of speed in the water.  I also found out when Jonny instructs his swimmers so I'll be getting up early again to go watch.  I'm hoping I could keep my 3 swims on M/W/F and attend one of his on Tues or Thurs.

George,

Good for you!  Always nice to get a race on the calendar.

I have a 5K scheduled in March - the Sea World Pole-to-Pole 5K.  More of a fun run than a real race.  Yes, it is a measured 5K, however it winds through the park and at times, because it is winding around so much, the course is only one or two shoulder widths wide.  It is hilly and there are a LOT of people so you never really get a chance to get up to race pace.  It's a lot of fun though and the best part is it includes free admission to Sea World for the day.  My wife walks it along with both of our son's and their families plus about 20 family friends.  Makes for a wonderful social day, if not so much a good race day.

You will find, the more frequently you can get in the water, the more feel you will develop for the water.  It truly isn't the yardage you put in rather it is how frequently you are doing it.  From the standpoint of developing feel for the water, 6 half-hour workouts if FAR better than three one-hour workouts.  On the surface it seems like 3 x 60 or 6 x 30 are the same; however 6 x 30 minutes will yield a PROFOUND improvement in stroke technique and feel for the water.

Edited by k9car363 2016-02-06 6:13 AM
    2016-02-06 6:58 AM
    in reply to: CL001

User image

Spencer, New York
    Originally posted by CL001

Chris,
    I have a full-sleeve Blue Seventy, which I was lucky enough to buy at our local tri/running store where I could try it on. It has panels of stretchy fabric under the arms so it's not too restrictive. Sadly, the store doesn't keep wetsuits in stock anymore because they can't match the competition from online retailers.
    The most important principle about buying a wetsuit is to try it on & swim in it before purchase. Scott mentioned some places to rent one first, which is a good option, especially if you're not sure how badly the tri bug has bitten you. In addition, many wetsuit manufacturers retail online and allow or even encourage you to purchase a suit, swim in it, and return it if you don't like it. If you belong to a local triathlon club there may be a discount arrangement between the club and one or more manufacturers. (If you don't belong to a local club, joining one could be one of the best moves you could make. You might even find that there are some lightly used wetsuits that members are trying to sell)
    Xterra makes some relatively inexpensive suits. The neoprene is thinner than most, which causes it to tear more easily but they claim this makes them faster. I tried several Xterra suits but sent them all back because the fit wasn't right. The fit is absolutely the most important criteria, not the brand, and possibly not even the long-sleeve/sleeveless divide.
    This past summer I thought to purchase a sleeveless suit because 1) our local professional triathlete recommended it to avoid overheating on the swim; 2) I swim a lot in our pond in the summer, and when the water temperature nears 75° it does get a bit warm; and 3) it's possible that my suit is now a bit big because there's 15 lbs less of me now than when I bought it. I sent for & tried out several during the big sales that happen in September, but none of them fit right so I sent them all back. There are so many ways the fit can be wrong: too loose, too tight, too short in the torso, shoulders too constrictive (for ones with sleeves), armhole too big or too small (for the sleeveless ones). GOOD FIT IS EVERYTHING! It should be tight, especially on land, but when it reaches the point that you can't zip it up or breathe, or when reaching with your arms is work, then it's too tight.
    As far as water temperature, in my early season races they are in the low 60's, with standing around in 40° air temps, and I am glad to have the long sleeves. Later in the season, water temps are likely to be mid-70's. I wouldn't even need a wetsuit for warmth, but since I'm not a very good swimmer (yet!) it helps me go faster--about 15 seconds per 100 yards. Nevertheless, I've never actually felt too warm while racing.
    I hope this helps.
    And that everyone has a great, productive weekend. I'm lining up my music for a l-o-n-g trainer ride tomorrow. Not a tv-watcher.
    Deb

2016-02-06 11:14 AM

User image

Good morning to all in the Gray Guys and Gals. I too resembled the group title as a Bonafied Greybeard. I began my Triathlon journey in October 2014, when I became disgusted by what I saw in the mirror. At 60years old and a body beaten up buy years of youthful indiscretion, I had grown to 68"and 230lbs with bad knees and shoulders. I began running (if you want to call it that) and swimming as a means of losing weight. I have to say, I was disturbed at my lack of ability. However, after some fierce determination I completed my first sprint triathlon in Fairbanks, Alaska in May 2015, with much better results than I could have imagined. I am now down to 170lbs (my weight when retiring from the Army in 1997), my knees and shoulders are feeling great (somewhat due to losing the weight, as well in some periodic Cortisone shots). In 2015 I completed 7 Tri's, (6 Sprints and an Olympic), I am registered for 8 so far this year and moving up to a half this July. Like most I am in the maintenance phase of training which for me is weights, swimming, running, snowshoeing. hiking and biking. I try to keep all my running outside as I can't stand the boredom of a treadmill, I will run at temps down to -15, then opt for snowshoes. My weight training sessions are short 30-45 minute high intensity events, where I do supersets with lighter weight and higher reps. My training logs are a bit confusing because it reads many events as running, even if I change them later. I will endeavor to put notes in as I move forward (Garmin Connect has a more accurate account). Looking forward to learning and sharing what I can with the group. Thanks to all who are here, Dave
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
    Views: 17554 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open