BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2016-02-06 3:14 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Run Less Run Faster
Thanks Scott and Deb...I'll look into renting one with the option of buying it unless I can find a local retailer that I can try them on at.

2016-02-06 8:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Super Bowl Sunday

The Super Bowl is tomorrow!

So is that an excuse to skip training, eat anything and everything in sight, and generally forget for a day that we are training for athletic excellence?

We are having about 30-people over for a Super Bowl party.  Our one real extravagance every year.  Have food in the 'frig, beverages chilling down to the optimal temperature, and all of the TV's moved so nobody will miss a play.  I keep telling myself the food is for everyone else!

I have said all season that I didn't see anybody beating Carolina.  Now, I have to say I am rooting for Denver.  As much as I am a Payton Manning fan, I don't think he is the key to Denver winning.  Nobody thought they could beat New England and the Bronco's 'D' absolutely worked the Patriots.  If the Denver 'D' can have another career day -  their 3-4 pressure and contain Newton, and their secondary be an impenetrable wall, then Denver has a chance.  If they can't then it is gonna be a really long day.  

I say Denver in a nail biter.  

What say the Gray Guys/Gals?

Edited by k9car363 2016-02-06 8:51 PM
2016-02-06 9:30 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Super Bowl Sunday
Originally posted by k9car363

As much as I am a Payton Manning fan, I don't think he is the key to Denver winning.  Nobody thought they could beat New England and the Bronco's 'D' absolutely worked the Patriots.  If the Denver 'D' can have another career day -  their 3-4 pressure and contain Newton, and their secondary be an impenetrable wall, then Denver has a chance.  If they can't then it is gonna be a really long day.  

I say Denver in a nail biter.  

What say the Gray Guys/Gals?

Would like Denver to win, but see Carolina dominating and running away with it in a smack down.

Steve
2016-02-06 10:19 PM

User image

Well, I must agree, I'd also like to see the Bronco's win, but, unless they bring the a game, Cam and the boys will send them back to Denver in a bag. It should be a great game.
2016-02-07 12:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open

Steve - I would love to go back to Chelan.  It was a great race and the lake was particularly enjoyable.  I really enjoy crystal clear water anytime.  I'll get back there someday.  I looked up Lavaman out of interest and it looks like a fun race.  I like the idea of combining travel and a race.

Dave - I agree it is motivating to have a list of races to look forward to.  Your Quassy race sounds interesting.  I'd like to see it's uphill swim.  A friend did the Augusta Georgia 70.3 as a preparation for IM Florida and her swim was downhill.  She swam the 1.2 miles in :28:xx.  She is fast but that was amazing.

Chris - Scott and Deb's advice about wetsuits is perfect but I'd just add emphasis to the necessity of a perfect fit.  When I bought mine I tried on 3 cheap suits and hated them so I asked for something a little more expensive and they gave me a Blue Seventy Fusion, sort of a mid range suit, and it took me forever to get it on (inexperience) but it felt so much better.  I bought it 4 summers ago and I've logged 120 OWS since.  It is still in pristine condition and I can put it on faster than most others I swim with.  I suspect that when people buy poorly fitting wetsuits, even expensive ones, they have trouble with putting it on and taking it off plus they break down faster with the extra strain of pulling them on. 

Scott - The Seaworld 5K sounds like a fun day.  Yesterday in the pool, I had Jonny O and a Tri Pro swimming in the lane beside me.  It was interesting to watch both of them.  He didn't swim long but the Pro kept going.  She was so fast I couldn't begin to guess how fast she was or how often she was passing me.  At my Tuesday evening Cycling session I heard that Jonny had his group swim 50# 50m on 10 secs rest.  I'm not sure I could do it in an hour.

Very appropriate you should mention swimming more often is more important than time swimming.  While I was swimming yesterday I was speculating on how I couldn't maintain my pace when I was swimming 100m intervals.  I started out swimming about 2:15 but as I fatigued I slowed to 2:30 and I was getting sloppy.  I tried to hold the 2:15 but couldn't.  I'm going to change to more swims as soon as I can.

Have fun tomorrow.  I'd like to see Preston Manning's team win but only because I understand he may be retiring soon.  Beyond that I don't know enough to have an informed opinion.

David - Welcome to the group.  I peeked at your race reports and I'd say you're not so bad a runner as you think.  The group works best if you get involved in asking questions and offering opinions.  Where is the HIM you're planning to do?

Edited by wenceslasz 2016-02-07 12:23 AM
2016-02-07 9:47 AM

User image

George, thanks for the welcome. I am still reading through past posts and will jump in as I can, with both questions and advice as little as I have. The HIM I am working to is the Sourdough, it is in Chatanika , Alaska (a little northeast of Fairbanks. I believe this is the25th running. I am really looking forward to doing this, my only concern is the swim, (and to be honest I am not terrible worried) The swim is my weakest event, (I often forget to kick), but seeing how I only started competitive swimming just over a year ago, I am moving forward. I do have a friend coaching me and making progress. My time for the 500 is ~10:00, and 1500, about 33:00. Am hoping to get under 10 before the race here begin in May. Took a great hike up a local hill yesterday to give the quads a good burn, now it's time to relax and enjoy (I hope a great game) Go Bronco's
Dave

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-02-07 9:52 AM

2016-02-07 12:10 PM
in reply to: dahoffman72

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dahoffman72

Good morning to all in the Gray Guys and Gals. I too resembled the group title as a Bonafied Greybeard. I began my Triathlon journey in October 2014, when I became disgusted by what I saw in the mirror. At 60years old and a body beaten up buy years of youthful indiscretion, I had grown to 68"and 230lbs with bad knees and shoulders. I began running (if you want to call it that) and swimming as a means of losing weight. I have to say, I was disturbed at my lack of ability. However, after some fierce determination I completed my first sprint triathlon in Fairbanks, Alaska in May 2015, with much better results than I could have imagined. I am now down to 170lbs (my weight when retiring from the Army in 1997), my knees and shoulders are feeling great (somewhat due to losing the weight, as well in some periodic Cortisone shots). In 2015 I completed 7 Tri's, (6 Sprints and an Olympic), I am registered for 8 so far this year and moving up to a half this July. Like most I am in the maintenance phase of training which for me is weights, swimming, running, snowshoeing. hiking and biking. I try to keep all my running outside as I can't stand the boredom of a treadmill, I will run at temps down to -15, then opt for snowshoes. My weight training sessions are short 30-45 minute high intensity events, where I do supersets with lighter weight and higher reps. My training logs are a bit confusing because it reads many events as running, even if I change them later. I will endeavor to put notes in as I move forward (Garmin Connect has a more accurate account). Looking forward to learning and sharing what I can with the group. Thanks to all who are here, Dave

Hey Dave.  Oh man, sorry I missed your initial post.  Welcome to the group!

"Youthful indiscretion!"  Oh my, been there done that, so glad I left that at college!

With 6 Sprints and an Olympic last year, you have progressed quite far in only a year.  As you are planning to move up to a half this year, have you given any thought to a training plan?  When you start to go long, having a plan becomes much more important.

Look forward to getting to know you and I'm happy to try and answer any questions you may have.

2016-02-07 12:11 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman 

Would like Denver to win, but see Carolina dominating and running away with it in a smack down. Steve

Yeah, I fear you are right.  Hoping not, but reality is reality right?

2016-02-07 12:20 PM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
I'm also rooting for Peyton and the Broncos...but I'm also afraid their going to get killed!
2016-02-07 12:22 PM

User image

Scott, thanks for the welcome. I am planning on following one of the plans here, thinking either the HIM Bridge or perhaps the Intermediate HIM plan. One really good thing is I have a good gym with a pool as well as several lakes to train in. Looking forward to working with you all and sharing my knowledge as well, Dave
2016-02-07 12:32 PM
in reply to: DJP_19

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

. . . REV3 Quassy Olympic Tri June Registered. (This one will be tough. I think even the swim is uphill)

Hey Dave,

I took a look at the bike course.  It looks like there are a couple somewhat challenging sections - one grade at 4.7% and a couple more at 3%.  The half course is even more challenging with multiple 7%+ climbs.  The thing that will be most challenging is the hills just keep coming at you with little break.

Even on a flat course, bike pacing is key to a good run.  On a hilly course, it becomes that much more important.  This is a course that begs for a power meter.  Certainly you can do it using RPE, but you will have much better control over pacing with a PM - I know, that is an expensive step.  I would be riding as many challenging hills as I can find between now and race day to dial in your RPEometer if you go that way.

What size chain-rings do you have up front and which cassette on the rear?  Depending upon what you have on the back, you might consider a different cassette that will allow you to deal with the climbs a little better.  Cassettes aren't that expensive (typically $50-150 for Shimano depending upon type and ratio - Ultegra towards the bottom of the range, Dura-Ace towards the top of the range) and pay huge dividends on a hilly course.

2016-02-07 12:55 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

At my Tuesday evening Cycling session I heard that Jonny had his group swim 50# 50m on 10 secs rest.  I'm not sure I could do it in an hour.

Very appropriate you should mention swimming more often is more important than time swimming.  While I was swimming yesterday I was speculating on how I couldn't maintain my pace when I was swimming 100m intervals.  I started out swimming about 2:15 but as I fatigued I slowed to 2:30 and I was getting sloppy.  I tried to hold the 2:15 but couldn't.  I'm going to change to more swims as soon as I can.

Hey George,

50 x 50 w/10" RI is a set you do once your swim base is well developed.  That is the kind of set that builds speed.  It is also the type of set that can be VERY challenging.  It gets harder and harder as you get deeper into the set.  To make that type of set even more challenging, instead of a defined rest interval, you have a defined send-off interval.  Say for example that your 50 pace is 35-seconds.  You swim that set with a 45-second send-off interval.  THAT my friend is what we use to call vomit sets.  As you get deeper into the set, your rest interval gradually gets shorter and shorter as you fatigue and accumulate lactate until, towards the end of the set, you have only enough rest to draw a breath (or puke) before you have to go again.  50 of them on a defined send-off?  Yeah you'd be using the gutter for more than water.  But you would get FAST!  Ahhh, those were the days!

I say all the time if your technique breaks down during a workout to take an additional rest period of 1-3 minutes, depending upon what you are doing.  If that does not restore  your technique, then get out of the water, go home, and try again tomorrow.  There is absolutely ZERO to be gained working out with poor form.  All you are doing is committing improper technique to muscle memory.  The whole point of intervals is so that you can swim further before exhaustion.  If you are having difficulty maintaining form, lengthen your interval 5-10 seconds.  That should allow you to swim "longer" without the technique degradation during a set.

Swimming more frequently helps with technique and feel for the water because you are fresher when you are in the water.  Feel for the water develops more rapidly because of the way we humans process something new.  Doing it more frequently commits it to memory more quickly than doing it longer.

2016-02-07 2:29 PM

User image

Scott, to add to what you said, and I am by no means a great swimmer, but, while watching a swim video the other day, a key phase that was used throughout the video was "Practice does not make perfect, Practice make Permanent, Perfect Practice make Perfect" This goes right along with what you said, practicing poor technique only ingrains the bad into your form. My coach hammers me with this all the time. In my defense I am an old curmudgeon, and somewhat set in my ways, though, I do try to conform. However, More often that not I revert to brute force and ignorance to overcome. Yeah, I am a bit hardheaded like that. Dave
2016-02-07 9:57 PM
in reply to: CL001

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

And THAT my friends is why they play the game!  And I'm happy to say I didn't go too crazy with all the edible temptations!

Well, the Super Bowl is over so now it's back to training.  For me, that means out the door heading for the pool at 4:30 tomorrow morning, then strength and a run.  Looks like I have a total of a little over twelve hours planned this week - 3 running, 3 swimming, and 6 cycling.  I am still in a cycling focused base phase as I build my run back up.

What's on tap for everyone else this week?

2016-02-07 10:32 PM

User image

0445 - 0545 - Strength Training Lower Body M-W-F, Upper Body T-TH-Sa
1630 - 1800 - Swimming M-W-F, Running or Snowshoeing T-Th-S
Sunday - Bike
I will pretty much maintain this schedule until, the roads clear enough to ride outside (early Apr), then I'll add biking after the swim and or before a run.

Edited by dahoffman72 2016-02-07 10:34 PM
2016-02-08 7:14 AM

User image

Upstate, New York
Bronze member
Strength training today, tomorrow, Thurs and Fri
Swim with swim coach today and Fri
Swim on my own Tues, Thurs
Run Tues, Fri and Sun
Bike Weds, Thurs and Sat

2016-02-08 10:30 AM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut

. . . REV3 Quassy Olympic Tri June Registered. (This one will be tough. I think even the swim is uphill)

Hey Dave,

I took a look at the bike course.  It looks like there are a couple somewhat challenging sections - one grade at 4.7% and a couple more at 3%.  The half course is even more challenging with multiple 7%+ climbs.  The thing that will be most challenging is the hills just keep coming at you with little break.

Even on a flat course, bike pacing is key to a good run.  On a hilly course, it becomes that much more important.  This is a course that begs for a power meter.  Certainly you can do it using RPE, but you will have much better control over pacing with a PM - I know, that is an expensive step.  I would be riding as many challenging hills as I can find between now and race day to dial in your RPEometer if you go that way.

What size chain-rings do you have up front and which cassette on the rear?  Depending upon what you have on the back, you might consider a different cassette that will allow you to deal with the climbs a little better.  Cassettes aren't that expensive (typically $50-150 for Shimano depending upon type and ratio - Ultegra towards the bottom of the range, Dura-Ace towards the top of the range) and pay huge dividends on a hilly course.

Hi Scott,

I did my first Olympic distance race at the same venue last June. You're exactly right, the hills just keep on coming at Quassy. The bike and run courses were similar to the Rev3 course map you looked at. I struggled on the bike segment, despite having put in quite a bit of hill work in preparation. I believe that it was simply a matter of going out too hard at the start of the bike segment. I managed to recover enough to do an ok run for me (8:45 pace), but I know that the bike split left lots of room for improvement. After that race, Steve suggested changing out the rear cassette, so I switched to a 12/28 and that helps with hills.

This year I'm trying to be more data driven in training. With that in mind, I'm wondering about whether this is the right time to buy a power meter . I'm riding an older Cannondale road bike and am considering spending a few bucks on a new bike. I don't yet know much about power meters, having only recently started to read about them on DC Rainmaker, etc.

Question: Would it be short sighted to invest in a power meter prior to and independent of any bike change I may be making?

Of course, the overriding factor may be the modest balance in my "fun budget", since we are in the final year of college funding for child # 3.

2016-02-08 11:16 AM

User image

Regular

And THAT my friends is why they play the game! Looks like I have a total of a little over twelve hours planned this week - 3 running, 3 swimming, and 6 cycling.  I am still in a cycling focused base phase as I build my run back up.

What's on tap for everyone else this week?

Glad to say I under-estimated the Denver defense. But boy, stick a fork in Payton, he's done. He was painful to watch. I think the coaches gave him the Trent Dilfer/Baltimore Raven game plan of "don't do anything stupid to screw up the win for our defense."

I am experiencing the unexpected side benefit of being a multi-sport athlete. That is, if one sport is broken there are two others to focus on. I currently have plantar fasciitis so bad in my right foot I can hardly walk....the result of an over-exuberant strength session with lunges. I've got PT this afternoon to see if they can calm it down.

So for me it's going to be swim-bike focus until I can get it cleared up. I was on my VASA swim trainer early this morning. I'll hit my indoor bike trainer tonight. Unfortunately I have to travel Tuesday/Wednesday for work, so if I can't run the road workouts may not be so good. I fly tomorrow morning at 5:40 a.m., which mean I have to be on the trainer at about 2:45 a.m. to finish in time to get to the airport. Yeah, I don't know if that's going to happen.

Happy Training!

Steve
2016-02-08 2:44 PM
in reply to: dahoffman72

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by dahoffman72

"Practice does not make perfect, Practice make Permanent, Perfect Practice make Perfect"

I like that. I also like an anonymous sign hung up in a pool I swim in:
"Don't practice until you do it right. Practice until you can't do it wrong."
And hey, Dave, you should think about getting an indoor trainer for your bike. You can gain a whole lot of bike fitness over the winter. Don't say it's boring..you can explore a lot of great music. or tv if that's your preference. If you use a training program like TrainerRoad it breaks up the time into all kinds of inrteresting segments.
Deb
2016-02-08 4:53 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Question: Would it be short sighted to invest in a power meter prior to and independent of any bike change I may be making?

Of course, the overriding factor may be the modest balance in my "fun budget", since we are in the final year of college funding for child # 3.

I invested in a power meter last summer and am not sorry.
I got a Power Tap which replaces the hub of the rear wheel. Because I had the previous year bought some pretty expensive Flo wheels, I had to have my local bike shop rebuild the rear one with the Power Tap hub. My thinking was that if I replace my bike I'd be keeping my good wheels, so I wouldn't lose any of my investment.
I'm a little bit sorry that I didn't go with the power meters that are housed in the pedals. I never use my good wheel on the trainer because the tire also is high-end (Hutchinson Intensive) and its a bit hard to change because it's tubeless. You do wear out the tire on the trainer, so I just use a cheap tough tire made for trainer use, on an inexpensive wheel. This all means that for indoor riding I have to use Virtual Power (from Trainer Road) instead of the actual power that the Power Tap records, and the power numbers are not the same. It can be confusing to have 2 separate ftp numbers for the different set-ups.
I didn't get the pedal-based power meter because it cost a lot more than the Power Tap, and because I read a warning that if the bike falls, with or without you on it, it can be damaged. That would just be something I'd do.
If you want to buy a Power Tap and aren't yet riding on a rear wheel that you want to keep, you'd most likely buy a pre-made wheel with the hub already installed. In this case you'd be getting into the price range of the pedal-based power meter, but you would be upgrading your wheel at the same time.
It's a lot to consider, and not cheap. Keep researching. In the meantime, it's cheap, cheap, cheap to ride (inside) with virtual power and Trainer Road. You could try that to make a start training with power.
Deb
2016-02-08 5:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Sunday Rest

Scott ... just got the time to read your post and help on swimming.  I am waaaay behind with postings from the group, as we just got back from Cancun last week after a long trip and finishing up on the barn as well. 

My training in earnest begins this week, so I'll review the links you provided on swimming and respond back should I have questions.  Too, I'll try and get some video of my swimming for your review.

2016-02-08 6:43 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Originally posted by ok2try

It's a lot to consider, and not cheap. Keep researching. In the meantime, it's cheap, cheap, cheap to ride (inside) with virtual power and Trainer Road. You could try that to make a start training with power.
Deb

Hey Deb,

That's kind of where I am at the moment. I have a cyclops fluid trainer that I've been using for the last year, but without enough structure to the workouts. I've mostly just turned on my playlist or the TV and pedaled away for an hour. Lately I've been thinking of adding a speed/cadence sensor and Trainer Road so I could use virtual power at home as a supplement to the LBS sessions I'm doing. I want to come out of the winter in stronger biking shape. One step at a time I guess.

Edited by DJP_19 2016-02-08 6:44 PM
2016-02-08 7:16 PM

User image

Spencer, New York

Deb

Hey Deb,

That's kind of where I am at the moment. I have a cyclops fluid trainer that I've been using for the last year, but without enough structure to the workouts. I've mostly just turned on my playlist or the TV and pedaled away for an hour. Lately I've been thinking of adding a speed/cadence sensor and Trainer Road so I could use virtual power at home as a supplement to the LBS sessions I'm doing. I want to come out of the winter in stronger biking shape. One step at a time I guess.

Dave,

Do it. You won't be sorry. If you're putting in the effort, why not get the maximum payoff for it?

Deb
2016-02-08 8:53 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular

I invested in a power meter last summer and am not sorry.
I got a Power Tap which replaces the hub of the rear wheel. Because I had the previous year bought some pretty expensive Flo wheels, I had to have my local bike shop rebuild the rear one with the Power Tap hub. My thinking was that if I replace my bike I'd be keeping my good wheels, so I wouldn't lose any of my investment.
If you want to buy a Power Tap and aren't yet riding on a rear wheel that you want to keep, you'd most likely buy a pre-made wheel with the hub already installed. In this case you'd be getting into the price range of the pedal-based power meter, but you would be upgrading your wheel at the same time.
Deb

Amen, Deb. Completely agree. If you're committed to cycling and have the money, then a power meter is an investment you'll never regret. I use mine on EVERY ride and on the very rare occasion that the battery dies I really miss having that feedback. Between HR, cadence and power there is so much data to use to get better. But it' can be a tough spend for a hobby.

I got the Power Tap as well (Wheelbuilder) and have no regrets.

Steve
2016-02-08 9:27 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Dave,

Hi Scott, I did my first Olympic distance race at the same venue last June. You're exactly right, the hills just keep on coming at Quassy. The bike and run courses were similar to the Rev3 course map you looked at. I struggled on the bike segment, despite having put in quite a bit of hill work in preparation. I believe that it was simply a matter of going out too hard at the start of the bike segment. I managed to recover enough to do an ok run for me (8:45 pace), but I know that the bike split left lots of room for improvement. After that race, Steve suggested changing out the rear cassette, so I switched to a 12/28 and that helps with hills. This year I'm trying to be more data driven in training. With that in mind, I'm wondering about whether this is the right time to buy a power meter . I'm riding an older Cannondale road bike and am considering spending a few bucks on a new bike. I don't yet know much about power meters, having only recently started to read about them on DC Rainmaker, etc. Question: Would it be short sighted to invest in a power meter prior to and independent of any bike change I may be making? Of course, the overriding factor may be the modest balance in my "fun budget", since we are in the final year of college funding for child # 3.

Dave,

The 12/28 cassette is the one I would have recommended so Steve beat me to the punch!  (Now that you mentioned it, I do vaguely recall some discussion about that last year  - VERY vaguely).

Now, on to the loaded question that really only you can answer.  You have done the race before using RPE.  Admittedly you struggled with pace a little bit, but you learned from that I imagine.  Pacing in hills is fairly straightforward - for the first half of the ride, if you aren't being passed by A LOT of people, you are going to fast.  They will all come back to you when they die because they went out to hard.  The ones that don't come back to you, you'll pass on the run when they die because they went to fast on the bike.  No doubt if you choose to do the race again using RPE you will manage bike pace better than last time so don't feel like you MUST run out and spend $400-1,500 to buy a power meter.

Now that we have that out of the way.  Let's talk about what power can do for you so you can make an informed decision as to whether or not you should dip in to your "fun budget."  First thing you need to answer is how committed are you to triathlon in the long term?  You are after all talking about a fairly significant investment.  Next question, are you using Trainer Road or some other form of virtual power?  Trainer Road is a good, inexpensive way to introduce yourself to training with power.  You can become familiar with the various terms, what they mean and how they apply.  I strongly encourage (actually require) any athlete I work one-on-one with to sign-up for Trainer Road.  The various training plans are excellent.  It is quite literally like having a coach there with you on each and every ride.  I suggest three rides a week on the trainer and your long ride outdoors on your bike (weather permitting).  That will get you training with power and begin to make large improvements in your cycling.

The downside to Trainer Road is that it uses virtual power if you don't have a power meter - meaning it is useless outdoors.  If/when you get a power meter you can pair the PM with Trainer Road and continue to reap the benefits of the TR workouts while using your actual power numbers that WILL translate to the outdoors.

So let's talk about what power can do for you.  Training with power takes the subjectivity out of your training.  If the ride calls for a 6 x 10' intervals @ 85% FTP w/5' recovery at 55% FTP, you simply do that - ride 6 intervals of 10-minutes at 85% of your FTP with a 5-minute recovery at 55% of your FTP.  NO GUESSWORK.  You do the workout as designed - you reap the benefits - period.  Without power it is impossible to be that precise in your training.  Indoors, outdoors, windy or calm, with a power meter you can hit your EXACT workout as planned.  Without a power meter, not so much.  You can get that benefit with Trainer Road by the way in the comfort of you pain cave!  As an added bonus, because you would be doing periodic FTP tests, you will have an objective measurement of your improvement as you see your FTP increase.

The benefit of power really becomes apparent on race day.  Probably the single biggest challenge triathletes face is correctly pacing the bike - and that's on a flat course.  What happens if the course is hilly or it's windy?  Using your Power Meter in the most intelligent way, you would have established your FTP - Functional Threshold Power.  Then, riding with power during training and a couple of race simulations, you would have determined 'YOUR" target race %FTP.  Typically for an Olympic that will be ~ 85-95% FTP.  On race day it is real simple; you have Average Watts Per Lap, Normalized Power Per Lap, and Current Watts (10-sec smoothing) displayed on your Garmin (or watch or whatever head unit you are using).  If your target power is 85-95% FTP then that is the number you want to see in your average and normalize power displays.  The closer those two numbers are to identical the better you paced the race.  Hills, wind, flat, calm - DOESN'T matter!  Keep your output power at your target power and you are golden. (That is a VERY simplistic explanation. It would easily take several paragraphs (pages?) to give a more detailed explanation of power and how it works with respect to pacing, hills, etc.  The point is, power takes the guess work out of pacing.)

When I said the race we are talking about cries out for a power meter, it is because of the relentless nature of the hills.  They aren't that high or that steep, but they just keep coming.  A power meter will keep your pacing accurate.  You somewhat develop tunnel vision as you focus only on your target power.  You won't be induced to go faster by little old ladies or children passing you; yeah you will see them but you will know that the pace you are going is the perfect pace for YOU - so you won't be influenced by what others are doing.  There is a saying, "Do the ride you should do, not the ride you could do."  Having a power meter helps you do the ride you should do, so you can run afterwards; instead of the ride you could do that, while it may be fast, will all but guarantee your run will be a walk.

As to getting it now or waiting for the new bike.  You will instantly begin to see the benefits of a power meter.  The bike the PM is on doesn't matter.  Of course, you can instantly begin to see the benefit of training with power by signing up for Trainer Road.  If you are seriously considering a PM for the upcoming race, I would STRONGLY urge you to get the PM on your bike a number of months before the race.  You need to train with power and become familiar with what it is telling you.  Getting a power meter and then trying to use it a week later in a race will be a recipe for disaster.

On a personal note.  I firmly believe that the money I spent on a power meter to be the single best investment I have made in triathlon.  More valuable than the triathlon bike, more valuable than the watches and all the other toys combined.  Would I dip in to my "fun budget" to purchase a power meter?  Knowing what I know now, I would mortgage my house to get one.  But that's just me.

Hope that helps.

PS -  Here are a couple links to DC Rainmaker articles about power meters.  The first is a general run down of what is out there, the second, if you scroll down, has what is probably some dated pricing but it will give you an idea.  I suspect actual prices may be a touch lower as there has recently been kind of a power meter war going on.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/10/buyers-guide2015-edition.html

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/04/power-meter-pricing-wars.html

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17496 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open