BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2015-12-31 10:25 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
GROUP FOCUS: The 50+ "graying" athlete. The big challenge is most training programs are suited to the type of training levels/recovery we could sustain in our 20's, 30's and 40's. It's just not the same once you cross that magical age 50+ line. While the competitive fire burns bright, times get slower, the legs often feel heavier, weight inevitably creeps up and recovery times are longer. The focus of this forum is helping the over-50 athlete get to the start and cross the finish line feeling like a champion regardless of experience in triathlon or the distance of your event.

This forum will be co-mentored by Steve Lutz and Scott Kubinski. The background on each of us follows:

NAME: lutzman (BT screen name) / Steve Lutz

STORY: I'm a long term distance runner who jumped into Triathlon several years ago. Like many older athletes, I found the constant pounding of marathon (run only) distance training to be increasingly injury plagued. Despite the fact that I really enjoyed distance running (including qualifying and completing the Boston Marathon three times) I switched to multi-sport to broaden my fitness base and hopefully reduce the running related injuries.

Since getting started in Triathlon, I've completed 30 triathlons and earned USA Triathlon Age Group All American Honors in both Triathlon and Duathlon. I also qualified for TEAM USA to compete at the 2014 Age Group World Championships in sprint distance triathlon this past summer in Edmonton, Canada.

Unfortunately, I crashed on my bike at the Boise HIM in June 2014. All of my great plans for 2014 were crushed. The crash outcome was not good. I broke my collar bone, shoulder and eight ribs. I ultimately required follow up surgery that knocked me out for the entire 2015 season. So, I’ve become very familiar with the challenges of “recovery” for the 50+ athlete. That said, I’m working on my 2016 comeback to rejoin the triathlon racing community.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 34 years with three sons, all grown.

CURRENT TRAINING: I generally train between 9-12 hours per week during the race season. This typically includes 3-4 training sessions per sport with one or two additional sets in the gym focused on weight training (very important for older athletes due to declining muscle mass).

2016 PLANNED RACES: Bayfront Challenge Triathlon, Lavaman Waikoloa, Moses Lake Triathon, Duathlon Age Group Nationals, Lake Chelan Triathlon, Sprint Distance Age Group National Championships.

WEIGHTLOSS: Triathlon has really helped my weight. Being a runner, I was never heavy, but the full body workouts have helped me drop some extra weight that had been stuck with me for awhile. When I was a decent runner (age 25-35) and could run a mid-30's 10K, my weight was about 152. I gained over the next 20 years and was sitting at about 170. That's not too bad since I'm 5'10", but I'm at about 170 as a result of my post-crash recovery. It’s time for me to lose some weight..

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I'm a student of everything I do. I've consistently had a triathlon coach helping me with workout and program design. And since my work life focuses on statistics, I'm pretty analytical. I've had good success in a short amount of time in triathlon and I would like to continue to learn from others but also share what I've learned from 30+ years of endurance sport training....while focusing on how workouts can be adjusted to better align with the needs of older athletes.

I also have had the honor of being a mentor here on BT over the past three years. We have had a very good group that continues posting even today. Our summer/fall group forum had about 30,000 views and nearly 1,300 posts.

Edited by lutzman 2015-12-31 10:31 PM

2016-01-01 12:10 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open
Good Morning! And Happy New Year!

My name is Kathy. I joined the group in 2015, but my training and competitions were quickly derailed by kids, a new house , and the tanking of the oil business (no pun intended). As I write this, my 9-year-old is busy shouting questions and requests at me. Yes, our "late" baby.

So, for an intro. I am 50 years old. I still can't believe it. I have completed multiple 5Ks and 10Ks, but never a triathlon. This will change on Sunday, when I am entered in the Lifetime indoor tri. I figured this would be an easy way to start, especially since the weather here is cold and gray.

I have been married to the same great guy for 26 years. We have one 18-year-old and the previously mentioned 9-year-old. I have been following one of the sprint training programs, and finding it rewarding in terms of increasing stamina and strength. I also do yoga and strength training a few times a week. I would love to drop the 10 lbs I picked up in the last couple of years, but I am feeling better since I started exercising regularly. It helps that I work out at a club where there are many kid activities! Its hard to pull my daughter out of there when I am finished.

I am looking for a triathlon club in Houston, if anyone has suggestions. However, it must have people my (our) age! I really don't want to be the oldster in a group of 20-somethings.

I look forward to finally having enough time to train this year. I think we finally have the kids' situations sorted (fingers crossed!), and I really want to stay strong as I get older. Here's to a great 2016!

2016-01-01 5:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

NAME: k9car363 (BT screen name) – Scott Kubinski

GROUP FOCUS: The 50+ "gray" athlete. Getting to the start and crossing the finish line requires more than just the three disciplines of swim, bike, and run. There are also the hidden disciplines that are often overlooked – Nutrition, transition, rest/recovery, as well as the mental aspect of training and racing. It is often those little things that we innocently disregard or we don’t think about that can have a large impact on race day. My hope is to help everyone become fully informed and get to the starting line at their peak performance level, regardless of when you started your triathlon journey or how far you are racing.

This forum will be co-mentored by Steve and Scott.

STORY: I swam competitively from age 11 through high school and college. I was also as a member of a club swim team. I was an elite swimmer during the 70’s and early 80’s and fortunate to have held an individual world record for a brief period of time. I was further honored to be a member of several world and American record setting relays. When I hung up my competitive Speedo I began coaching age-group swimmers and eventually focused exclusively on helping Triathletes improve their swimming ability. Over the years that has gradually morphed into Triathlon coaching.

My triathlon journey really began in 1982 with Julie Moss on her hands and knees crawling to the finish line. That was, to this day, the most heroic athletic achievement I have ever seen. I immediately knew I wanted to do an Ironman. However, the sad reality was that I had spent 6-8 hours a day in a pool, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for over a decade, and the thought of going back to full time training was not very appealing. On top of that, I had another problem – running and I had never really been friends. The Ironman has that little marathon thing at the end and that simply terrified me.

A couple decades later, my Ironman dream had faded like the morning mist. Although I didn't move to fulfill my Ironman dream, I did tell anyone who would listen that, "I could do an Ironman." Then a few years ago, I went to a client's house and there on the wall of his home office was a picture of him crossing the finish line in Kona. Of course, my first comment was, "I could have done that!" After a year of him hearing about how I could have done that, he finally called me out in May 2012 by saying, "You’re going to go to your grave bragging about how you could have done it, or you can do it." His gentle 4 x 4 to the head helped me set my goal to qualify for the Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.

On the calendar, 2015 was to be the year of my Kona qualification, but alas, fate intervened in the form of a torn rotator cuff in late February. I wasn’t cleared to return to a full training load until the summer when, much to my dismay, I was diagnosed with a pancreatic tumor which required yet more surgery. After two surgeries, not working out for nearly a year, and gaining over 50 pounds for my trouble, 2015 is down in the books as a lost year.

My lost year however has given me a unique “been-there-done-that” perspective. I now have firsthand knowledge of what it takes to come back from a demoralizing emotional and physical setback – not once but twice! I know the challenges of having to lose unwanted pounds in a sustainable way. The desire to toe the line in Kona is as strong as ever. It isn’t how many times you fall down that counts, it is how many times you get back up!

FAMILY STATUS: Very happily married 29 years with one daughter and two sons, all grown. We have 7 Grand-kids and had we known they were so much fun we would have had them first!

CURRENT TRAINING: I was finally cleared to return to full training in early December. My plan starts on January 4 with 6-hours per week and will build to a max of 20-25 hours per week by the summer.

2016 PLANNED RACES: To be determined. Coming back from surgery has put a wrench in scheduling – not so much the surgeries as recovery from the surgeries. Hopefully my races will include an Olympic in the spring and early summer, followed by a HIM mid-summer and an IM in late summer/early fall.

WEIGHTLOSS: I gained over 50-pounds in the past 10-months. The goal is to shed all those excess pounds before an IM later this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I like to understand the “how and why” of things and my quest for knowledge is unending. I am constantly reading and furthering my understanding of the body’s physiological response to training stimulus and how we can become stronger and faster. As the years continue to go by, I have begun to take a much closer look at training response in the older athlete.

I trained for over a decade under a man who is arguably the greatest swimming coach that has ever walked a pool deck. I learned from the best how to motivate and inspire. I didn’t learn about training from a book - I helped write the book. I was there when strength work first began to appear in swimming. I was there when paddles were developed (actually they were first patented by my swim coach). I was one of the scientific guinea pigs that proved you don’t literally have to do “vomit” sets to improve and that you had to build an aerobic base to be successful.  I was being taught about periodization in training long before it was commonly accepted. I competed at the highest level and understand the mental side of competition and how important it is to success.

Finally, I love helping others and passing along my experience and knowledge. Nothing makes me happier than helping fellow Triathletes experience an “Ah-Ha” moment. 

Edited by k9car363 2016-01-01 5:25 PM
2016-01-02 3:52 PM
in reply to: kszelei

User image

Regular
Originally posted by kszelei

Good Morning! And Happy New Year!

My name is Kathy. I joined the group in 2015, but my training and competitions were quickly derailed by kids, a new house , and the tanking of the oil business (no pun intended). As I write this, my 9-year-old is busy shouting questions and requests at me. Yes, our "late" baby.

I look forward to finally having enough time to train this year. I think we finally have the kids' situations sorted (fingers crossed!), and I really want to stay strong as I get older. Here's to a great 2016!

Hi Kathy:

Welcome to our group. We're glad to have you join. There are folks who participate who have a lot of experience, so post up your questions and I'm sure you'll get solid feedback.

Happy Training!

Steve
2016-01-04 12:05 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'd like to continue with the group if you don't mind.

Story - From a sedentary background I've been having fun with Triathlons for 4 seasons as we look ahead to 2016 and my 5th season I'm still enjoying myself.  

Family Status - My wife and I retired a few years back with 4 kids and 7 grandkids (two of them driving!!

Current Training - I swim three days a week, all winter with a group of Grey Guys and Gals from 50 to 83.  For some time now I've been feeling good about my swimming and slowly getting faster...I think.  Lots of Open Water Swimming June through mid-September.  I also ride my trainer from November to mid-March with a group run by a local Tri coach.    I try to run 3 times a week but being my least favourite I may not be quite as consistent as I would like.  I also find running on a treadmill exceedingly hard.  I much prefer running outside.

In 2015 I was running well early in the season but I somehow I peaked in mid April or May and never got it back again so I want to get my running going again this year and peak just at my planned "A" race in August.

2016 Planned Races - I'm still considering my schedule for the season but I am definitely planning to register for Badlands Mediofondo (120km bike ride).  Mainly because I want one of their jerseys (a dinosaur riding a road bike) and it takes me to Alberta and lines us up for a visit to our middle daughter to meet our newest granddaughter.  Then in August I want to sign up for Challenge Penticton and its new distance race (3km/ 120km/ 30km).  There will be others.

Weight loss - I got my weight down to 170 for awhile last summer but then through the fall I've gained weight and today my weight is 2.5 lbs higher than the same day last January.  Not what I wanted but I'll drop it again as soon as I get running again.

I'm not the most chatty person - usually shy and quiet but I am supportive and I like to encourage people.  I love the interactions between myself and people I meet while training and racing.

2016-01-04 11:44 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Hey guys - I'm back for another year if you'll have me

NAME: soccermom15/Janet

STORY: I did my first triathlon in May of 2009 at the age of 45 (I'll be 52 in February) and have done them off and on since, all sprints.  I've been running since 2005 so just had to add the swimming and biking.  The biking went OK, swimming was awful!  I never really learned to swim as a kid so it was a new experience for me.  I joined a tri club last year and have really enjoyed training/racing with them.  I'll be moving up in distance this year, doing Olympic and my first (and maybe only) HIM.    

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 25 years with one son (25) and one daughter (21). 

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm in a maintenance phase right now, concentrating on swimming and biking.  I'm still not a good swimmer but I feel like I'm much improved over this time last year.  I'm at the pool at least 3 times a week with one of those being a swim with the tri club on Sunday mornings.  I've gotten some good tips from some coaches who are club members.  For biking - I got clipless pedals and bike shoes for Christmas so I'm making the switch from cages.  It's been interesting making the switch, but I figure now is the time to do it when I'm doing all my biking on the trainer - usually 3 times a week.  Running has been the challenge lately.  I've been dealing with Achilles and knee issues - which my doctor is helping me work through - so running has been pretty much on the back burner for the last month or so.  I'm trying to start back, but going slowly - about 2 times a week right now for just short distances.  

2016 PLANNED RACES: Frozen Buns Run 5k, Chain of Rocks Bridge Duathlon, That 80's run (5k or 10k), St Louis Triathlon (my 1st Olympic), Riverlands Rush Biathlon, New Town Triathlon, IM70.3 Ohio.  I'd like to get another Olympic distance in some time late spring/early summer.  The one I had hoped to do is not happening this year so still looking to fill that space. 

WEIGHTLOSS: Weight has never really been a big issue for me (not since I was a kid at least), but I would like to lose about 10 pounds.  I think it would help with both my biking and my running if I could.  I also know nutrition is going to be an issue for me for the HIM, so hopefully I can work on those things together.  

2016-01-04 12:16 PM

User image

New user
Houston, Texas
My first Tri was yesterday! It was great! I beat my own expectations in the swim and run. The cycling was ok. Need to work on this.
Have an awesome week!

Kathy
2016-01-04 12:34 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Regular
Originally posted by wenceslasz

Glad you'll be back George! Happy New Year.

Steve
2016-01-04 12:35 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Regular
Originally posted by soccermom15

Hi Janet:

Glad you'll be back with us for another season! Happy Training!

Steve
2016-01-04 12:37 PM

User image

Regular

My first Tri was yesterday! It was great! I beat my own expectations in the swim and run. The cycling was ok. Need to work on this.
Have an awesome week!

Kathy

Kathy--you have officially set the new Gray Guy/Girl record for earliest triathlon completed in a new year. Impressive!

Next year January 1 falls on Sunday so we'll see if some one can best that record!

Well done.

Steve
2016-01-04 4:26 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

My name is Kathy. I  am 50 years old. I still can't believe it. I have completed multiple 5Ks and 10Ks, but never a triathlon.

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the group.  I am reminded of my age and I often have the same thought, I can't believe it!  Where did all the years go?  

We have a good group here that is happy to answer questions so don't hesitate to ask!

2016-01-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by wenceslasz

Hey George,

Glad you are back!

2016-01-04 4:29 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I joined a tri club last year and have really enjoyed training/racing with them.  I'll be moving up in distance this year, doing Olympic and my first (and maybe only) HIM.    

Hi Janet,

Glad you are back with us.  Looking forward to watching (and maybe helping?) as you prepare for the longer distances.  

2016-01-04 4:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

My first Tri was yesterday! It was great! I beat my own expectations in the swim and run. The cycling was ok. Need to work on this. Have an awesome week!

Kathy

Kathy,

Congratulations on your first Tri!

2016-01-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Hi Scott and Steve,

I would like to rejoin the group this year. Had a good beginning of the year during 2015 running my first marathon ever just a few days shy of my 58th birthday but due to injuries and job fell off during the later part of the year. I think I became a bit of a lurker last year because of my setbacks but plan on turning that around in 2016.

You guys know my bio - pretty much sedentary for 20 years and then started this running and triathlon thing a couple of years ago to get healthy for myself and my family. Late start with family with a loving wife (just took me awhile to find the right one) and four kids between 13 and 19 years of age - hey, they'll keep me young. This was the main reason for exercising for I want to be active and around them for a very long time.

Weight loss will be a priority for me in 2016 at 5' 9" wanting to get down to 160 pounds which will make my times better. This seems to be a never ending battle for me, I work too hard not to be showing better times because of my weight.

Minor setback already this new year where I re-injured my right arm with tendinitis yesterday just by trying to add some light dumbbell work. Felt good during the work-out but flared up overnight.

Trying to stay regimented on the diet by using myfitnesspal and I feel this will be key. Going to train using the Run Less Run Faster program that Steve told me about and will continuously look to Scott for help on my swimming. Any information on how to approach my bike during the upcoming year will be appreciated. I have a kinetic trainer which I think is a step in the right direction but beyond that I am clueless. Looking to spend more time on the bike this year because I feel this has really hurt my running during competition, legs always felt like cement columns getting off the bike.

Here's to everyone having a happy and healthy 2016.

It looks like this could be a good comeback year for a few of us and there are no better mentors for that than Scott and Steve.

Thanks,
James aka jredfly

Edited by JREDFLY 2016-01-05 11:49 AM
2016-01-05 3:01 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Regular
Originally posted by JREDFLY

Hi Scott and Steve,

I would like to rejoin the group this year. Had a good beginning of the year during 2015 running my first marathon ever just a few days shy of my 58th birthday but due to injuries and job fell off during the later part of the year. I think I became a bit of a lurker last year because of my setbacks but plan on turning that around in 2016.

Thanks,
James aka jredfly

James:

Glad to have you back on board! Last year for you in the 55-59 AG?

Steve

2016-01-05 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

I joined a tri club last year and have really enjoyed training/racing with them.  I'll be moving up in distance this year, doing Olympic and my first (and maybe only) HIM.    

Hi Janet,

Glad you are back with us.  Looking forward to watching (and maybe helping?) as you prepare for the longer distances.  

I'm counting on that!  To that end - here's my first question (with many more to come I'm sure).  As I mentioned before, I made the switch to clipless pedals/bike shoes.  Not sure if it matters but just to give you some info, I have Louis Garneau shoes, MWS pedals (similar to Shimano but cheaper), and 2 sets of cleats - a set of Look (red) and a set of Shimano SPD-SL (yellow).  Right now I have the Look cleats on my shoes since they came with the pedals.  I'm trying to understand the concept of "float".  When I attach the cleats, should I be tightening the bolts all the way or leave them a little loose so that my feet can move a little bit?  I hope this is making sense - this is all really new to me.  The couple of times that I've been on my trainer since I switched, my left foot has had some numbness so I was thinking that I may need to do some adjusting.  

Janet

2016-01-05 3:52 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
That's right Steve last year at 59 AG - one of the advantages of getting older. Would like to meet you at Nationals next year.

James:

Glad to have you back on board! Last year for you in the 55-59 AG?

Steve
2016-01-05 6:58 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hi Scott and Steve,

I would like to rejoin the group this year. Had a good beginning of the year during 2015 running my first marathon ever just a few days shy of my 58th birthday . . .

Thanks, James aka jredfly

Hey James,

Really happy that you are back!  I remember this guy a couple years ago that could barely swim one length of the pool and now you are running marathons!  Looking forward to another season as you continue to rise to new heights!

2016-01-05 7:52 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

I'm counting on that!  To that end - here's my first question (with many more to come I'm sure).  As I mentioned before, I made the switch to clipless pedals/bike shoes.  Not sure if it matters but just to give you some info, I have Louis Garneau shoes, MWS pedals (similar to Shimano but cheaper), and 2 sets of cleats - a set of Look (red) and a set of Shimano SPD-SL (yellow).  Right now I have the Look cleats on my shoes since they came with the pedals.  I'm trying to understand the concept of "float".  When I attach the cleats, should I be tightening the bolts all the way or leave them a little loose so that my feet can move a little bit?  I hope this is making sense - this is all really new to me.  The couple of times that I've been on my trainer since I switched, my left foot has had some numbness so I was thinking that I may need to do some adjusting.  

Janet

Hey Janet,

First, I am not familiar with the MWS pedals.  I looked them up online and couldn't find anything so do you know the brand name?  In any case, generally speaking Look cleats are not interchangeable with Shimano cleats (and visa-versa).  They will likely click in (i.e. Look cleats will click in to Shimano pedals or Shimano cleats will click in to Look pedals) but they won't have any float and clicking out is VERY difficult.  My first word of advice is make sure you are using the cleats that are made specifically for the pedals (if the pedals came with Look cleats then those are likely the ones you need to use).

Next, you asked about float.  Float refers to the amount of lateral mobility, or how much left/right rotational movement the foot has when clicked in to the pedal. This is important because improper float can put tension on the joints, specifically the knee.  Pro-cyclists argue that there is better force transfer with less float.  The mere mortals among us argue that zero float ruins knees.  There is no "right" amount of float.  Some people prefer more, some prefer less.  For both Shimano and Look, the cleat color designates the amount of float in degrees -

Shimano – Red 0° Blue 2° Yellow 6°

Look – Black 0° Grey 4.5° Red 9°

The bolt that you were talking about tightening down adjusts the tension on the release mechanism.  The more you tighten that down, the "tighter" the cleat is held in the pedal, and the more difficult it is to release. You probably don't want that cranked all the way down to begin with.  You are right, the numbness may well be positioning.  Here are links to a couple articles about cleat position, I will let those that have far more knowledge about bike fitting than I do talk about this.  By the way, cleat position is generally one of the first thing a bike fitter looks at during a bike fit.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/10/how-to-set-up-cleat-positioning/

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html

Hope all of that helps! 

2016-01-05 8:03 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Going to train using the Run Less Run Faster program that Steve told me about and will continuously look to Scott for help on my swimming. Any information on how to approach my bike during the upcoming year will be appreciated. I have a kinetic trainer which I think is a step in the right direction but beyond that I am clueless. Looking to spend more time on the bike this year because I feel this has really hurt my running during competition, legs always felt like cement columns getting off the bike.

Hey James,

When we really get up and going, I have some thoughts I will share regarding the run.  In the mean time, you have a Kinetic trainer.  Check out TrainerRoad.com.  It is relatively inexpensive.  They have "virtual power" so you can train with power without having to purchase a power meter.  There are several training plans there that will be exactly what you are looking for.  Best part is the plans were all created by professionals so you don't have to wonder if the workout and/or plan is a right.  Takes the guesswork out of it.  All you have to do is sweat and get faster.

2016-01-05 11:09 PM

User image

, California

Hi Steve and Scott

I would like to join your group if you will allow. I definitely need some motivation.

Name: MamacitaT - Tara Bilbao

STORY : I am 50 and a stay at home mom. I was active in Beginner Triathlete and completed 2 triathlons in 2013-14 but was sidelined by an achilles injury that put me out for almost a full year. In that time I kept up my biking, but alone it doesn’t inspire me.

I had always been active when I was younger, but after having my 2 kids, I stopped focusing on myself for many years. In 2013, I started to turn that around training for triathlons and got a few fun mud runs in. I loved completing my first triathlon and planning for future races. I was doing great until my injury. My last tri I literally limped the whole run portion which led me to the doctors office. I am anxious to get back to run/swim/bike again because I love the variety and how I feel when training.

FAMILY : Happily Married for 21 years ( been together 31) – have a daughter who is a freshman at the University of Michigan – Go Blue! - and a son who is a freshman in high school.

CURRENT TRAINING: Some running, biking. I need to get serious and have had a hard time getting motivated.

WEIGHT LOSS – Definitely need to take off the pounds. The older I get the less room there is for error in my diet. That combined with little exercise has been disastrous. After years of fads and information overload, I think I have the nutrition thing down. I just need to comply.

GOALS for 2016: I am still planning my races. I would like to complete 3 tris and also train for my first half marathon. I figured I am a half century, I need to get a half marathon in 

Given my injury, I want to make sure I focus on flexibility and trying to stay healthy so I can complete my goals and continue with this amazing sport.

2016-01-06 7:20 AM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by MamacitaT

Hi Steve and Scott

I would like to join your group if you will allow. I definitely need some motivation . . . I am 50 and a stay at home mom. I was active in Beginner Triathlete and completed 2 triathlons in 2013-14 but was sidelined by an achilles injury that put me out for almost a full year.

. . . have a daughter who is a freshman at the University of Michigan – Go Blue! - and a son who is a freshman in high school.

. . . I figured I am a half century, I need to get a half marathon in.

Given my injury, I want to make sure I focus on flexibility and trying to stay healthy so I can complete my goals and continue with this amazing sport.

Hi Tara,

Welcome to the group!  As we get older, injury prevention becomes increasingly important because we just don't recover like we did when we were 20 or 30 somethings.  On top of that, there are a surprising large number of very fit, unhealthy athletes out there, increasingly among the older athletes.  Hopefully we can help you avoid that trap.

Been a Michigan fan since I was a wee lad (my dad was born and raised in Detroit) so I will be right there with you - GO BLUE!

That half-marathon is certainly doable!  Look forward to answering questions and offering suggestions.  Once we are fully up and running I will be making some comments regarding run training, specifically about staying healthy and injury free.

2016-01-06 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by k9car363

Janet

Hey Janet,

First, I am not familiar with the MWS pedals.  I looked them up online and couldn't find anything so do you know the brand name?  In any case, generally speaking Look cleats are not interchangeable with Shimano cleats (and visa-versa).  They will likely click in (i.e. Look cleats will click in to Shimano pedals or Shimano cleats will click in to Look pedals) but they won't have any float and clicking out is VERY difficult.  My first word of advice is make sure you are using the cleats that are made specifically for the pedals (if the pedals came with Look cleats then those are likely the ones you need to use).

Next, you asked about float.  Float refers to the amount of lateral mobility, or how much left/right rotational movement the foot has when clicked in to the pedal. This is important because improper float can put tension on the joints, specifically the knee.  Pro-cyclists argue that there is better force transfer with less float.  The mere mortals among us argue that zero float ruins knees.  There is no "right" amount of float.  Some people prefer more, some prefer less.  For both Shimano and Look, the cleat color designates the amount of float in degrees -

Shimano – Red 0° Blue 2° Yellow 6°

Look – Black 0° Grey 4.5° Red 9°

The bolt that you were talking about tightening down adjusts the tension on the release mechanism.  The more you tighten that down, the "tighter" the cleat is held in the pedal, and the more difficult it is to release. You probably don't want that cranked all the way down to begin with.  You are right, the numbness may well be positioning.  Here are links to a couple articles about cleat position, I will let those that have far more knowledge about bike fitting than I do talk about this.  By the way, cleat position is generally one of the first thing a bike fitter looks at during a bike fit.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/10/how-to-set-up-cleat-positioning/

http://www.jimlangley.net/crank/cleats.html

Hope all of that helps! 

Scott - thanks for the info.  When I had my bike fitting last March, Mike told me that if I made the switch to clipless pedals I would probably need to come back in for some adjusting - I'm sure he can help with the cleat positioning too.  I was trying to make things work as much as possible until I can get back in to see him.  These are the pedals that I have.  So when you talk about float - you mean the cleat moves within the pedal (while still being clipped in)?  That's been the hardest thing for me to get used to - that my shoes don't move at all.  With the flat pedals and cages, I had some "wiggle room" with my shoes.  

2016-01-06 7:43 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Scott - thanks for the info.  When I had my bike fitting last March, Mike told me that if I made the switch to clipless pedals I would probably need to come back in for some adjusting - I'm sure he can help with the cleat positioning too.  I was trying to make things work as much as possible until I can get back in to see him.  These are the pedals that I have.  So when you talk about float - you mean the cleat moves within the pedal (while still being clipped in)?  That's been the hardest thing for me to get used to - that my shoes don't move at all.  With the flat pedals and cages, I had some "wiggle room" with my shoes.  

Janet,

If Mike is willing to do additional adjusting, I am fairly confident that is what he was referring to - setting your cleat position.

Yes, float refers to the cleat moving laterally, or rotating slightly, within the pedal.  You mentioned you have the red Look cleats on your shoes which should provide ~ 9 degrees of float.  With that cleat you should have some movement so if you cannot slightly turn your shoes in the pedal without un-clicking then something is wrong.  Either the wrong cleat or the pedal tension is way to tight.  This is one of those things that your LBS can advise you on since they can see what you have.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--Now Open Rss Feed  

of 29

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (aka Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 17378 Posts: 191

2016-08-16 2:40 AM bfaridnia

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open