BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2016-06-19 10:11 PM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!)
Grats on the faster than expected HIM that is a big accomplishment.

Everyone is always welcome back to visit stay whatever, no bit deal we have a place set for everyone.

Sorry I have been not very active here. Work had been hectic, I am up to 22 hours a week with workouts and have been looking at houses in my spare time as I need to get housing set up for my wife to move down here. So that is like um 80 hour weeks or some such. Anyway things going generally well. This weekend workouts were Friday run 4 miles swim 2000 yards, Sat bike 105 miles, Sun run 17 miles swim 5500 yards. I am happy with the swim, finishing the first 4200 yards in 1:22:30. I am basically in shape to finish the race now with one more build cycle, just not much speed in my workouts at all, everything is slow steady. The shins are so so, but if I warm up with a half mile walk, then jog slowly for a mile or 2 I can ease into a run and be ok with not much pain to speak of afterwards. (ice, compression, marathon stick, some muscle balancing lifting afterwards).

I really wouldn't wear a wetsuit for a 400 yard swim even if the water temp was 50F. Ideal clothing for a triathlon is a 2 piece tri suit. If you don't have one, then for a sprint you can swim in a bathing suit, throw on some bike shorts for the bike if you want and then drop them for some running shorts for the run. It is a sprint so you will be fine. Enjoy the day, keep it simple, never train or race in COTTON! It maintains moisture and causes rubbing and blisters. If your workouts are short enough it doesn't really matter, but for runs over 5 miles etc., your feet will blister, etc. What is your nutrition hydration plan for your race?

2016-07-02 9:05 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Trainees

Sad day for my family my brother 38 yo is currently end stage Ca its just a matter of time. with less than a month to race day and two more weeks before taper struggling through training and within myself. I know my brother would like me to finish so i am pushing through. Just living it day by day.

Steve ill be arriving July 19 raceday is July 30 is it ok to do one century one week before the race just to feel the course?

Goodluck to everyone training and racing!

June Totals
Swim: 6h 44m 46s - 17505.07 Yd
Bike: 31h 01m 12s - 588.36 Mi
Run: 18h 24m 46s - 108.93 M

Edited by strykergt 2016-07-02 9:10 PM
2016-07-05 2:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Oh wow, I'm not sure if I've even posted since I posted my totals for last month. Day before son graduated, we got a leak in our slab which means new flooring....and a kitchen remodel since no point of putting down the flooring around the old kitchen. So getting ready for all of that. And I'm not the kind of woman that gets into this at all.

Carlos, prayers to you and your brother. I'm so sorry.

Dennis, congrats on the great race.

So, Steve and Carlos, are you both doing Vineman? The end of the month?

SJ, have you had your race yet? Let us know how it went.

June Totals
Run: 16h 38m - 78.9 Mi
Core Training: 1h 35m
Walking: 1h 40m
Yoga: 4h 00m
2016-07-06 12:06 PM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
swim: 5 mi, 3 hr
bike: 256 mi, 19 hr
run: 65 mi, 10:47

soccer: 4.5 mi, 2:21

total: 35 hrs

carl so sorry to hear about your brother. such a young age too. but hope for the best, miracles ahve happened

dennis congrats on the him! that's an awesome medal too.

i signed up for a spring this saturday (colonial beach sprint) to warm up for AG nationals in august. got an email saying temps will be hot so likely we won't be allowed wetsuits. which is fine; less to pack!

last saturday a few of us went and did the blue ridge challenge loop: a 56-mi loop with about 4k ft climbing. had some good fun. i did another ride back in june that had 51 miles and 5600 ft climbing. the hills are getting easier to say the least. i'm not even in an hilly events this year. maybe i'll sign up for savageman!

i convinced my wife to participate in another tri! but it's a sprint relay with her doing the bike and me doing the swim and run. it's small but any time i can get her out and compete is a win for me. it'll be a busy summer. 1 sprint next week, oly in aug for AGNC, along with the aforementioned relay, sprint, then another sprint in sept, and marine corps marathon in oct. cross fingers i don't get injured.

carl and steve good luck at vineman!
2016-07-07 12:21 AM
in reply to: phifatech

User image

CARLO - in thoughts and prayers.

Swim: 9h 24m - 35524.59 Yd

Bike: 35h 25m - 706 Mi

Run: 15h 25m 49s - 103.23 Mi

Weight Loss - 10 lbs

Let the build begin for NC 70.3.
2016-07-12 12:49 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Been on vacation a bit not much internet. Here are June totals:

Swim: 15h 09m 12s - 43300 Yd
Bike: 29h 18m - 496.7 Mi
Run: 19h 28m 10s - 111.06 Mi

Happy with the swim, meh with the other two, still putsing with shin and calf issues. I was happy with my run on Sunday though, not fast, but hit the pace i wanted very well.

9:46, 9:25, 9:22, 9:28, 9:26, 9:15, 9:03, 9:19, 9:24, 9:11, 9:12, 9:12, 9:11, 9:13, 9:15, 8:58
I was shooting for a 9:15 to 9:30 pace. This workout tells me my run fitness is where it should be for this point in the training because there was no pace drop off the last 5 miles. So fitness is good, but shin and calf issues are questionable.

Sorry about your brother and his fight with cancer. Sometimes things happen that put our lives in perspective, worrying about this or that as if it is a big deal and then considering cancer, just no comparision. Love your family and take care of youself during these difficult times.

Carlo we need to meet up at Vineman.... Note that they changed the swim from 2 loop to 1 loop and changed the run from 3 loops to 2 loops and moved it north of the school rather than south of the school. The bike looks similar.

Oh and I am race number 462 Stephen Bratton to ease the stalking......age group 45-49

Edited by Baowolf 2016-07-15 11:25 PM

2016-07-18 8:43 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

New user
Simpsonville, South Carolina
Hey all,

For some reason I haven't been able to post lately (I've tried a couple of times).

My June totals
SWIM - 1h 20m 25s - 2589.87 Yd
BIKE - 15h 39m 14s - 146.72 Mi
RUN - 11h 12m 08s - 78.97 Mi
STRENGTH - 1h 00m
SPORT - 27m

I have been knocking out a lot of sprint races lately, as part of the South Carolina Triathlon Series. I took third in my age group over the weekend and 48th overall . I'm holding 1st place overall in my age group for the series with 3 races left.

From Tri the Swamp rabbit:

Swim (250 m)- 00:05:42 T1 00:01:11 Bike (16.5 Miles) 00:53:18 T2 -00:00:55 Run (5k) 00:21:52 Total Time: 01:22:56

I bought a new bike last week that I'm super excited about! QR PRfive with the Di2.

My next race isn't until 8/14, and I have a lot of work to do before then!

My A races this year are Santa Cruz 70.3 9/11 and attempting to qualify for Boston at the Charlotte Marathon 11/12

Carlo, sorry to hear about your brother... sending good vibes your way.

I can't wait to hear about your vineman experiences, I was planning on doing that IM next year.

Happy training everyone!
2016-07-20 1:26 AM
in reply to: jimmybags

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jimmy nice paces there on those sprints.

Unfortunately my shin and calf are still giving me some issues so this is not likely to be a very fast IM. I am pretty confident that I can finish it without issue, but may have to drop back to a jog walk despite having adequate run training. I am hoping that taper helps some.

So I have to share. A random coworker who I don't even know stopped by and shared that she wanted to BQ and do an IM because she knows I do triathlons and marathons. She doesn't have a background. It was kind of nice to know that I had a positive influence on her without even knowing who she was. Hopefully she follows a slow build and stays with it.
2016-07-25 10:03 AM

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
steve, best of luck with the injuries. i fear i might have plantar fasciitis coming up, as in the mornings my foot under my heel is kind of sore. but then i go and sign up for a ragnar ultra race in sept. go figure!

great race jimmy! i also did a sprint earlier this month (colonial beach sprint), with pretty good results.

swim: 13:48 (really choppy waters that morning, and a terrible mass start for me) (1:40/100yd)
bike: 38:19 (14 mi, 21.9 mph) super flat and easy course
run: 23:09 (7:27 pace)

total was 1:18:18

only reason it wasn't my PR for a sprint was because of the longer bike, but my bike and run paces were my best in a sprint race. gearing up for age group nationals next mo in august in omaha. anyone going?

i got a fun camping/training weekend trip this weekend with another tri club (not the one i'm president of, but the huge DC tri club around here). we're going to deep creek lake in the mountains of md and we're swimming/biking (with lots of climbs)/running until our hearts are content.

i got into a bike crash a week ago doing a nice long 87-mi ride through va, md, and all the way to west viriginia. with 20 mi to go i was on a bike path and a teenage girl was riding a beach cruiser on the wrong side of the path and wasnt looking/listening. ran straight into me. ripped the bottle cage nuts right out of my carbon frame which cracked it. bad luck this year for me. felt offered a 'crash replacement' but i don't think it's worth it since i have to pay. i just bought a new frame and will build that one up, with my old components (di2 as well). jimmy if you havent ridden di2 you'll love it. just keep an eye out for battery wear. if you bike a lot and overshift make sure you check battery before every ride, and charge before a long one. docs say 6 months but i run out in 3 sometimes

been using my wife's road bike and it fits me surprisingly welll! the reach is a little shorter and i'm seated a bit more upright but man i still feel fast on her machine. she has long limbs though haha
2016-07-26 8:48 AM

User image

Jimmy/Phil - nice splits and overall times for your races!

Phil - I think you are cursed with bikes now. Did the teenage girl find her pokemon?

Carlo/Steve - good luck on Vineman this weekend.

Weekend lesson for me - Don't hike all around Petra for a day (~15 miles going up and down in 100+ degree weather) and then come back to do an FTP test 2 days later. It hurts. A LOT.

6 more weeks and back to the USA with me!!!!!!!!!!
2016-07-27 1:22 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carlo, we have to meet this go round at Vineman, send me some info so we can meet up. My race number is 462 so we could meet at bike rack on Friday putting stuff in T1 or on race day at T1 or by the exit from T1 to the beach area. Let me know.

Thanks for the well wishes. This will be a moderate paced IM, no PR this year, gona have to go concervative on the bike with the calf to preserve the run for the marathon. My fitness is ok, so I will finish unless things go very far south.

Good news, even though tomorrow the forecast is for 100F, on Saturday it may be mid 80s..... fingers crossed.

Steve

Edited by Baowolf 2016-07-27 1:25 AM

2016-07-29 6:08 AM

User image

New user
good luck to those guys doing vineman tomorrow!!
2016-08-01 6:51 AM

User image

New user
Monthly totals:

SWIM 5h 51m 52s - 11908.68 Yd
BIKE 15h 51m 32s - 182.70 Mi
RUN 17h 19m 04s - 112.27 Mi
STRENGTH 40m
SPORT 1h 42m

Feeling really good about the goals for the year. Still on track to qualify for Boston at the Charlotte marathon. I'm also very excited to get out to Santa Cruz for the 70.3 with my brother.

I'm still really bad at swimming, but I started swimming with the Masters group at the Y and I'm hoping that will help me fix that
2016-08-01 10:13 AM

User image

Jimmy - Hope you have a great trip out to CA. Good luck on your BQ train-up/attempt!

Steve - way to get it done!

Monthly:

Swim: 11h 28m - 41557.31 Yd

Bike: 35h 47m - 731 Mi

Run: 17h 52m 04s - 120.94 Mi

Lost some more weight
2016-08-01 9:49 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Fellow Triathletes

RR to follow gruelling race for me unprepared for the hills wrecked my legs which killed my run and managed to finish before midnight. I had the pleasure to meet steve once on the bike but not sure it was him with the alien looking hydration cell. I finally said hi to him on the run or we were both walking and steve said he's knees are in pain i know this guy is a sub 4 marathoner why is he walking Steve said not today..guess its not only me the hills killed. Met steve again finishing the 2nd loop and said good luck and last loop of this hilly marathon saw steve finishing congratulated him and asked me if im ok and do i still have time ill be a midnight finisher. Glad to finally meet my mentor.

Thanks for our encouraging group 2 IMs i finished in our group no major injuries thanks for everything.

Edited by strykergt 2016-08-01 9:51 PM
2016-08-02 12:07 AM

User image

Way to hang in there Carlo!!!!

2016-08-02 12:29 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Just checking in. Grats Carlo, it was a tough day. The wind kicked up early on the first loop of the bike, a fair amount of the roads were in poor repair and it got somewhat hot around 3pm on followed by cold 8 pm plus. Probably a 45 degree swing in temps from prerace to 3pm and then back down in the evening. The hills were challenging but only 3 that were overly steep, they just wear you down as most of the bike course is not flat. I managed to get my shins healed up and the calf bugged me some on the bike and more on the run, but as long as I walked the uphills it was ok. I did get blisters on the pads of my feet around mile 8 so 18 miles on blisters was a bit challenging. It was a day where things didn't go perfectly, but not so bad that it couldn't be toughed out with some patience and perseverance. I was expecting a 14 hour race but wend 14:30 ish forget the exact time. Swim was on target, bike was 30 minutes slow and run was 30 minutes slow because of the leg issues (top of both knees, mostly left calf with slight right calf issue). So basically I managed small injuries enough to get to the startling line mostly healthy, kept the pace slower all day, not pushing any hills and got to the finish line with adequate training. Not ideal, but you pay the hand you are dealt and that gets me to the finish of IM #8. Not an amazing day but certainly good enough and the ending was what mattered.

I was really happy to see Carlo out there we were similarly chewed by the course. He showed a lot of mental toughness to finish that last lap in the dark. I will get around to a RR eventually, but there is the basic picture.

The moral of the story is listen to your body and play within those limits. Now it is time to heal up and figure out what to do next year. I will research more on muscle balance for the specific muscles that have been bothering me and see if I can remedy some of these problems. It might just be that I did not take enough time off after doing 2 IMs last year. I should try to not make that mistake again this year.

Drink a cold one for me Carlo you deserve it.
2016-08-02 2:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Congratulations to both Steve and Carlos!!!!!!! Great job guys. Can't wait to see the RR.

I've been a weenie most of this month. Was doing the pre-cancer lotion on part of my body, had two other basil cells cut off, and then fell one morning while running and skinned up pretty much the rest of me. After that, I've been sulking a lot, eating and drinking too much, and in general just being a bum. Also been stripping wallpaper and trying to get everything ready for the kitchen remodel and new flooring. Climbing around on the ladder and crawling on the floor makes me ache for days.

July Totals:
Swim: 25m
Run: 13h 36m - 64.7 Mi
Core Training: 1h 30m
Home Improvement: 20h 30m
Pilates: 1h 00m
Walking: 2h 20m
Yoga: 5h 40m

2016-08-03 5:59 AM

User image

Pam - I would not call 20+ hours of home improvements being a "bum". Sounds like you have kept busy to me.

Phil - enjoy the AG Nat's taper..haha. Hope you have a blast. Any other PTO members going?

Shipped my vehicle yesterday. Headed for 'Merica! Moving company consultation for household goods complete. So ready to be out of here. Time to go bury myself on the bike again.

Looking at a Pike's Peak climb in my future....hmmmmm.

EDIT: and Pam...no more falling!

Edited by scubabrad02 2016-08-03 5:59 AM
2016-08-05 12:08 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Congrats Steve and Carlo!!! Steve, only two to go, right?

Hope all is well with everyone! I am still rooting for you, just not as into the tri stuff these days myself. Business (soft) launch has gone well and I'm enjoying the journey of crafting it into/around what I want in life. I don't start work until 10am, so in the morning I go to the gym or ride my bike on the MUP. I've also been going to weight watchers because I need the encouragement/accountability on the intake side of the equation.
2016-08-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Alexandria, Virginia
swim: 4:10 6.66 mi
bike: 27:18, 385 mi
run: 5:36, 35.8 mi

soccer: 5:54, 12.8 mi

total activity: 44 hrs

brad, yeah one other ptotri member will be joining me, and i know a couple others around my area that are making the trip. should be fun! and hot i think

carol, good luck with your business! sounds very exciting

on the bike front, i ended up buying a new frameset, a raleigh militis, and putting all my old components on it. did my first couple rides on it this week and it's great so far. did my last oly dist bike with my tri bike yesterday and plan on packing it up soon. i've been searching for new tri bike and run shoes all year, and i think i finally found some that fit my feet well. speci trivents were on sale, 40% off at my lbs, and they have some amazing tech specially for triathlons. and i bought some NB fresh foam boracays. hope they fare better. my go-to shoe used to asics noosas, but the 10 model changed from the 8 and 9 and i don't like the fit as well. this year i've been on saucony kinvaras but the toe boxes arent wide enough.

i got a busy race schedule coming up! in 1 week: AGNC, in 2 weeks a sprint realy at luray, in 3 weeks a dragonboat race, in 5 weeks nation's tri sprint, and in 6 weeks a ragnar race, and end of oct my first marathon. wish me luck, especially on those horrible run events

2016-08-08 1:04 AM

User image

Phil - you can go to the BOA web page and order replacement BOAs and the tool needed to replace them for free. You can get 2 I believe no questions asked to throw in as spares in case the cable breaks sometime down the road. I have had the Trivents for a few years now with no issues but when the cable does break it will inevitably be at a race with my luck. I love the Trivents. I am also a NB Fresh Foam (1080 for me though) guy.

Safe travels, stay cool and can't wait to hear how it goes out in OK. Good luck to all.
2016-08-10 1:52 PM
in reply to: scubabrad02

User image

SOUTH WINDSOR, Connecticut

Hey there.... 

Been MIA - sorry about that, life has been busy - [mostly] good busy!

Steve / Carlo - congrats on the IM - truly inspirational as always.

Will catch up soon, promise..  here is reader's digest version of happenings.

Family life - had to put our Dakota to sleep..  was time, no longer walking. Since then have a new pup (unexpected) that we rescued. A Yorkie-Poo / mutt. Flooding Facebook with pics. A week after the pup, we had a cat hanging around our house, cat adopted us, so new dog and new cat (kitten?) - they get along awesome. Really funny.. fight like brother / sister. Our original cat not liking either of them and hibernates quite a bit.

Health - been fighting sinus infections and stuff..  working with docs to try and get a better grip on it. Been a bunch of visits with Immunologist, ENT, etc. On the cancer front - 5 years since diagnosis and moving to yearly checkups. 

Carlo - very sorry about your brother..  keeping your family in our prayers.

Tri Life - went to IMLP training camp and volunteered for IMLP. Probably did too much (wore me down / sick) but truly got the see the day of an IM. Scared me, inspired me, all the emotions were there that day... Monday AM signed up for IMLP 2017..  yikes!

Still training and almost ready for Timberman 70.3 in 11 days. Being sick and sinus infections have set me back, working with coach and "getting it done". May not be the speed I was hoping for, will get there injury free and hope to remain that way through the day.. After Timberman switch gears to marathon training - Hartford Marathon in October....

Back soon..  be well, stay safe!

-Dennis

2016-08-15 10:20 AM

User image

New user
Quick update:

Did another sprint tri yesterday, the Greenville Triathlon 400m swim, 15 mile bike, 5k run.I was very happy with my performance! (I have a lot more work to do if I want to be a competitor in my age group).

40/141 overall, 6/8 for age group, 109th swim time:00:10:07, 65th place T1: 00:01:12, 56th place Bike: 00:44:27 47th place T2: 00:00:54, and 14th place on the run: 00:20:36, Total time: 01:17:14

I was very close to averaging 20 mph on the bike (one of my goals for the year), and I was really happy with the 5k time.

Just 5 events left for the year.

8/26 - Midnight flight 5k (Goal is 20:00, stretch goal is a 5k PR of 18:58)
9/11 - Santa Cruz 70.3
9/16 - Reach the beach (fun run with friends)
10/8 - The Dam Tri (final race of the SCTS)
11/12 - Charlotte Marathon (Goal to BQ)

Edited by jimmybags 2016-08-15 10:21 AM
2016-08-16 10:02 AM

User image

Very nice Sprint Tri Jimmy. Very VERY nice 5k leg!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Rss Feed  

of 9

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Baowolf