BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-05-11 9:56 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: Finally!
Chris it would be the Beach to Battleship 70.3.

Randy training is going okay been able to get a couple long runs in which has really helped a lot. I haven't been able to get many rides in though. Been pretty sore, and got a great message yesterday. Going to schedule one after my Oly in a week and a half.

Anyone ever try a tri top with sleeves?

How are you feeling Monty?

2016-05-11 10:40 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Trainer issues
Has anyone seen this issue before? I've put probably 1,000 miles or so on my trainer this winter, and a few days ago, noticed my back wheel has worn a significant groove in the roller bar. I put my road bike on the trainer tonight for a short ride, and moved the wheel over to a "fresh" area of the roller bar. But after just a half hour of riding, the trainer roller bar had melted my tire and was spraying out bits of it behind my bike. My brand new tire is ruined. Is it normal for trainers to melt tires and to wear grooves in the metal roller bars? It's only just barely touching the tire, so it's not pressing against it very much.

(TireShreddings_2.jpg)

(TireShreddings_1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
TireShreddings_2.jpg (89KB - 4 downloads)
TireShreddings_1.jpg (68KB - 5 downloads)
2016-05-12 1:19 PM
in reply to: #5158713

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED
Thanks! I'm feeling very anxious!
Checked in at Ironman Village and waiting for my wheels to be put on. Chance of rain all weekend so the humidity is really high.
I'll check my bike and T bags tomorrow and thinking about an easy lake swim just to keep busy.
Waiting is always the hardest part!!
2016-05-12 2:40 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Subject: RE: Trainer issues
My trainer is the same way. I bought gatorskins, thicker tire, last year that I use during the off season and spring. you can buy a tire specifically for the trainer too.

Nate
2016-05-12 8:45 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Thanks! I'm feeling very anxious!
Checked in at Ironman Village and waiting for my wheels to be put on. Chance of rain all weekend so the humidity is really high.
I'll check my bike and T bags tomorrow and thinking about an easy lake swim just to keep busy.
Waiting is always the hardest part!!

Amazing how the nerves never go away...

The village is neat. I found these RIP Laces that I have really liked. Some vendors can be pushy, but the village is pretty cool.

Nate
2016-05-15 1:30 PM

User image

New user
ALLERGIES! ACHOO!

Ugh, apparently I"m allergic to something in fresh cut grass and I thought I could just deal with it and forego an allergy pill like I normally do. By skipping the pill I missed a total of 4 days of workouts. I pushed through it for two days by running and then the drainage caused a short lived chest cold with the hacking and all included! yuck! It's cold today. Only 46F outside and I swear I saw snow flakes earlier this morning. Today is a scheduled rest day, but I've been doing that for the past 3 days, so I'm gonna do something. Not willing to bike in this weather for a training ride, I've tried that and I was freezing for hours afterwards even after a hot shower! Pools are closed, so that leaves me with a run. Hope everyone is doing well and that ya's don't suffer from allergies!

Scott

2016-05-15 10:32 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

hope your doing okay Monty, weather got a little bit crazy in TX this weekend

Nate
2016-05-17 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hi everyone, I'm back from my race weekend and will try to get caught up with some of the questions. I'll post a full race report when I get the time but the short version was that I had my best time in 4 tries at the Jekyll Course but still only managed a 3rd place Age Group. Wish I could have finished a little higher but a solid effort on the swim and bike, so I am content.

Nate,

Tri-top with sleeves. My brother wears the PI Octane suit and loves it. He won't race in anything else. Personally I like the sleeveless look and feel but the suit is supposed to be "faster" Not sure how much of a difference it really makes for average joes like you and me though.

Cassandra,

I've heard of tires wearing grooves in trainers before, but I don't think it is really normal. I know that if you use the same tire that you ride outside with, it can have small amounts of sand and grit and such embedded in the tire that can wear down the roller over time. I use a tire (and wheel) that is specifically for the trainer only. It's more of a convenience thing though and never thought much about it wearing down the roller. You might want to contact the trainer manufacturer and see what they say about it.

Monty,

How'd the big race go?

Scott,

Hang in there, warm weather is coming. You have the right approach. rearrange the schedule as needed to suit the conditions. You still have plenty of time and the real work hasn't yet begun!

2016-05-17 6:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Ironman Texas

Congrats on the PR Scott!

I've been wanting to follow up on BT since I got home but my PC is screwing up. So now I'm back at work and have a chance to play catch up.

There are so many crazy things about this race it's funny. I've already mentioned the bike course change and then shortened to 95 miles because of the flood. Friday morning the water in the canal that runs from the lake though the city was tested and deemed unsafe for swimming. This moved T1 from the city to the swim start out at the lake. They had a backup plan! Which really made no difference to the participants other than adding a mile back on the bike route, lol.

RaceDayWheels.com took 4.5 hours on Thursday to get my bike set up after telling me it would be ready in 2 hours. I spent WAY too much time walking around waiting on my bike in the heat and humidity. They only had one guy working the tent. Checking in bikes, answering questions, and doing the wheel swaps. I was a little peeved but finally got my bike and went to the hotel.

Instead of a practice swim in the lake Friday morning I decided to go for a ride and check out the feel of the new Zip 404's. My gears were completely screwed up!! I took the bike and all my gear to check in back to the tent and had the guy look at it. He swapped out the spacer between the hub and cassette and put it back together. There was still a big problem. He called over a mechanic from the next tent. The screw that fine tunes the derailleur had come out long ago and stripped all the threads. I didn't even know it! The dude pulled out a kit, tapped the threads, clipped some cable, added a new screw, and was done in less then 5 minutes. I tried to pay them but they refused and only said, have a good race. My bike worked flawlessly the entire race! (And those are some sweet wheels and hubs!!)

On the run we had a storm blow in from the north with rain, lightning, high winds, and some racers got hailed on. The race director stopped the race at all the timing mats and/or aid stations until it cleared. Of course some people weren't stopped so it didn't effect them, some it effected a little, and others (including me) it effected greatly. A small group of us, out of 200-300 or more standing in the trees, huddled up in a group hug to keep warm. The rain and wind temps dropped rapidly and left us all shivering with really tight legs. One person said it was 41 minutes that we stood there. How they sorted out the 75 slots for Kona I have no idea! I'm still waiting for my time to be adjusted and even sent an email today.

The main reason I really don't know how long we stood there is because my Garmin died at mile 35 of the bike. I guess just too many training miles on the battery! Imagine my shock when I realized I had no timer for nutrition/hydration, no pace/speed monitor, no HR monitor, no cadence, etc., etc. I saw a mileage marker and had an idea. I knew I was averaging 18 mph on the bike so I calculated my nutrition/hydration by mileage. I knew I had to have X amount ingested before the mile 50 marker but not more than X or I would have to take off from the next segment. Rinse and repeat at mile 60, or 70, or which ever marker came next. Darn if it didn't work out! I did realize that my one hit of Base Salt every hour was not going to cut it. Towards the end of the bike my quads started feeling crampy (if that's a word). I doubled up the salt and even increased it more on the run.

I approached the run the same way. I wanted to run a 10:30 - 11:00 m/m pace for the first lap and maybe a little faster on the second (depending on how I felt) then negative split the third and last lap. There were aid stations about every mile so I started doing the math. I only walked through the aid stations to drink and grab gels/blocks/etc to eat in between and I ran the rest of the time. I finished strong and had a fantastic race. I can't explain the emotional rush I had that last hour of the race knowing I had it right where I wanted it. No one passed me in that last hour, everyone was walking or doing a run/walk. I yelled, cried, did a little dance, celebrated, then turn the last corner and ran up the Ironman ramp and across the finish line in the rain!

I haven't filled out a race report yet because I'm waiting for my run time to be adjusted. But here's what it looks like:

Swim: 2.4 miles; 1:18:55; 2:02/100m pace (slower than what I wanted but I estimated 1:20 in open water)

Bike: 95 miles; 5:13:34; 18.2 mph (Slightly faster than I estimated, 16-18 mph)

Run: 26.2 miles; 5:39:52; 12:58 m/m

Run adjusted for rain delay based off 41 minutes: 4:58:52; 11:24 m/m (without anything to pace myself I finished with some gas in the tank but still around a 5 hr marathon. I wanted 4:30)

T1: 07:20 and T2: 09:29 (a long run from the dismount to the changing tent and I left my cycling shoes on for most of it until I realized what I was doing)

Race Time: 12:29:10

Adjusted Race Time: 11:48:10

w/o the rain delay I'm ranked 95 in my age group. With the rain delay I'm about 70th.

That's it in a nut shell. What an experience! If you go for it bring your family along for the full ride, from day one of training through race day. My wife and daughter had an absolute blast at the race and knew how hard I worked to get there. My daughter wants us to "do one together" and my wife said, "You know there's an Ironman in Boulder August, 3rd? Maybe you should do that one two!"

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-05-18 4:32 AM
2016-05-18 10:04 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Texas
Congrats on an outstanding race and effort!

Heard the swim is tougher than expected in Boulder. Something to do with the altitude. You'll have to let me know if thats true.

Nate
2016-05-19 1:09 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
That's it in a nut shell. What an experience! If you go for it bring your family along for the full ride, from day one of training through race day. My wife and daughter had an absolute blast at the race and knew how hard I worked to get there. My daughter wants us to "do one together" and my wife said, "You know there's an Ironman in Boulder August, 3rd? Maybe you should do that one two!"

Great race and report! Sorry, I don't remember what you've done in the past. Was that your first full Ironman? Sounds like it was equal parts frustrating, tiring, and rewarding!

2016-05-19 5:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Sounds like a great race Monty, and very emotional time for you that last hour. That's what it is all about...setting a goal and then doing the work to make it possible, then just going out and doing it. Congrats!

Also, the Garmin dying may not have been such a bad thing in the end. I think we sometimes rely too much on the gadgets to tell how fast to pace or when we need the nutrition. Doing some of that math in your head probably kept your mind engaged and occupied on those long bike miles.

2016-05-21 5:02 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Also, the Garmin dying may not have been such a bad thing in the end. I think we sometimes rely too much on the gadgets to tell how fast to pace or when we need the nutrition. Doing some of that math in your head probably kept your mind engaged and occupied on those long bike miles.

I'm with you, Chris. I don't like to use my watch for pacing. But I do like to use it to track my workouts. I lost the satellites today on my run and I HATE not knowing my splits! Fortunately, it's a route I run a lot, so I know my milestones to track my distance and the watch still tells me my time. But I like to know my mile splits and I was so mad I didn't have them today. I mostly run by feel, so I don't look at it very much during my run. But I really look forward to reviewing my stats afterward. No joy today!
2016-05-21 5:19 PM

User image

Subject: 2016 Troika Sprint Tri
I'll write up my race report later. I'll just say...this is the first time I've received one of these

(Troika2016Shiny.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Troika2016Shiny.jpg (413KB - 3 downloads)
2016-05-22 12:25 AM

User image

Subject: RE: 2016 Troika Sprint Tri
Troika Sprint Triathlon
1:20:20
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 44/91

It was pretty cold, but the wind and thunderstorm that had been forecast didn’t happen. I started the swim off to the side, away from the crush, and I didn’t have any panic like I did last year. It was a good swim. I caught my rhythm, ignored everybody else, and swam steadily. A woman with sighting issues swam under me, realized she was going the wrong direction, and then swam under me again. After rounding the first buoy, she did it again. WTH? And then she started to do it again, but I shouldered her to the side and swam as fast as I could to get ahead. Finally, I got away and didn’t have any more issues. (Or maybe she messed up her sighting again and headed out to the middle of the lake!) I could see as I was getting out that there were still a lot of women the water behind me, so for a change, I wasn’t last! Swim time: 9:50.

T1 didn’t go as well as it could have. I was really cold and struggled putting on my socks. I almost went without, but I’ve never done that before and wasn’t sure how uncomfortable it would be. My bike was a little difficult to get off the rack. Because I’m tall, it won’t fit under the bar, so I had to wiggle it under sideways, a maneuver that’s always a bit difficult when there are nearby bikes on the rack. T1: 2:31.

I put everything I had into the bike ride. I passed some women and a few men. Two women and I kept changing places until about the last three miles, when they finally pulled ahead. I tried really hard to catch up, but couldn’t quite do it. However, I turned in the fifth fastest bike time for women, averaging 18.25 mph. Bike: 33:42.

T2 went fairly well. Again, I had some difficulty re-racking my bike because it doesn’t fit under the bar. It would be nice if there were racks for tall people’s bikes! T2: 0:55.

Again, I put everything I had into the run. My Garmin helped keep me on pace, and I just pushed it and blew through all the aid stations. I was thirsty, but it wasn’t hot, and it was only three miles, so I sucked it up and just ran. The first two miles went great, but the last mile had a few little hills that slowed me down a bit. But, I knew I was on track to beat last year’s time by about seven minutes, and I did! I beat it by 7:08 and SMOKED my age group, beating my nearest competitor by more than 13 minutes. Moreover, I was only 10:38 behind the top female. And those two women I was changing places with during the bike? They were in the top three! Run: 33:20.

In the end, comparing this year’s results with last year’s, my swim time was almost identical—I shaved only 15 seconds off the entire swim. I don’t understand this because I’ve spent so much time since January working on improving my swimming, and nothing. No improvement at all. Transition times were almost identical—just six seconds total slower this year, probably because of the cold and bike rack issues. The seven minute improvement came entirely from the bike and the run—four minutes faster on the bike, and three minutes faster on the run.

This may be the last year I do the sprint. Troika now has an Olympic distance, and I may choose to do that next year.
2016-05-22 8:06 AM

User image

New user
Subject: RE: 2016 Troika Sprint Tri
Originally posted by burner2

Troika Sprint Triathlon
1:20:20
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 44/91

Awesome! All your hard work is starting to pay off! Keep it up!

Scott

2016-05-22 8:25 AM

User image

New user
Subject: Angry birds!
I've out for a few bike rides now that it has FINALLY warmed up. I really only have one route that doesn't involve a lot of traffic so I tend to stick to it. There is a short stretch I've noticed that I'm being attacked by birds! At first I thought I was feeling things but now I'm definitely being attacked! One bird pecked at my helmet and another has attacked my shirt. Not entirely sure what to do with these birds. They about wiped me out yesterday as I attempted to swat at them, I went onto the shoulder of the road and was able to get off the gravel and back on the road without incident. I consider myself rather lucky. Guess I just need to go faster through that stretch, it's always on my way back I get attacked and its into a stiff head wind. Hope everyone's doing well!

Scott
2016-05-22 10:58 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Angry birds!
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99
There is a short stretch I've noticed that I'm being attacked by birds!

I used to get attacked by birds last year every time I ran by the graveyard. I'd forgotten about that. I haven't been attacked this year, so I guess they moved on. Or cats got them. Either is fine with me, LOL. Animals are funny. My biggest animal concern is deer. They are not the brightest creatures in the world! As with vehicles, when they see me coming, they have to run to the other side of the road. I can't count the number of times I've had close encounters! I will even ask them nicely to please not run in front of me, but they are not very well mannered.
2016-05-22 11:15 AM

User image

Subject: Xterra redux
Having second thoughts about trying to do the local Xterra near me. Well, I still want to do it, but I don't think I'll try to do it until after I've made my attempt at the half Iron distance. The tri club I joined organized a preview of the bike course. It was described as a "casual", no-drop ride. I hadn't done any real mountain biking despite owning a mountain bike for about the past 8 years. But I figured, I do 25+ miles on my road bike, how bad could a casual 8-mile mountain bike ride be? WICKED BAD! OMG, I don't think my legs have ever been that tired. The only possible exception was my first Oly last year. And even then, I'm not sure how tired my legs were as much as I just had cramping issues.

From a video clip they posted on their web site, I anticipated the trail to be very mild. That turned out to be a completely false assumption. There were lost of roots and rocks. Some of the hill climbs had loose dirt/gravel that totally killed my momentum and had me spinning my tires. I did totally lose it once, but I dumped the bike and saved my body. In the end, both came out OK, but it was scary for a minute. When I asked the leader how much farther until the end and he said "a little less than 3 miles", I almost started crying! LOL I said, "that's OK, I'm a little less than 2 miles from a heart attack, so I don't have that far to go".

I thought about bailing, but in the end I battled it out to the finish. Thoroughly wasted, but I made it. I'm glad I did it. That's the hardest bike workout I've had, possibly ever. I think the next time I climb hills on my road bike, they're going to seem a lot easier. It also let me know that I'd need to do some mountain bike training to be ready for that race. I don't want to sacrifice that time now because I really want to be focused on getting myself ready for a HIM next year. Bonus: I lost a little over 3 pounds on that single bike ride! I was sweating my a$$ off!
2016-05-22 10:32 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Angry birds!
Originally posted by scottjjmtri99

I've out for a few bike rides now that it has FINALLY warmed up. I really only have one route that doesn't involve a lot of traffic so I tend to stick to it. There is a short stretch I've noticed that I'm being attacked by birds! At first I thought I was feeling things but now I'm definitely being attacked! One bird pecked at my helmet and another has attacked my shirt. Not entirely sure what to do with these birds. They about wiped me out yesterday as I attempted to swat at them, I went onto the shoulder of the road and was able to get off the gravel and back on the road without incident. I consider myself rather lucky. Guess I just need to go faster through that stretch, it's always on my way back I get attacked and its into a stiff head wind. Hope everyone's doing well!

Scott

These are likely Cat Birds. They are very territorial. Reverse your course to get on the other side of the road if you can
2016-05-22 10:36 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Xterra redux
did they get you on video?

2016-05-23 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Great race and report! Sorry, I don't remember what you've done in the past. Was that your first full Ironman? Sounds like it was equal parts frustrating, tiring, and rewarding!

Yes, this was my first full Ironman. Thanks

I took my wife on a long weekend camping/kayaking/mtn biking trip to make up for some lost time. ;o)

Congrats of the bling! Nice medal!

2016-05-23 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8  That's the hardest bike workout I've had, possibly ever. I think the next time I climb hills on my road bike, they're going to seem a lot easier. It also let me know that I'd need to do some mountain bike training to be ready for that race. I don't want to sacrifice that time now because I really want to be focused on getting myself ready for a HIM next year.

Most of my close friends were road bikers years ago and switched to full time mountain bikes. They humor me by letting me to keep up. Everyone of them will tell you, "You want to get stronger on the road bike? Ride mountain bikes!"

2016-05-23 9:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

did they get you on video?

No, Nate, the video on the race web site was from a year to two ago. No video taping on this "casual" ride, thank goodness! LOL

I'm a believer, Monty. I mean, I've never done hill repeats, so I can't compare. But there was a ton more climbing on that mountain bike ride than I've ever done on any of my road bike rides. I feel very confident that it will help my road bike climbing. I may have to mix some more mountain bike rides into my training. I'd even consider going back to that same set of trails. The thing about the group ride was that I know I pushed way harder than I would have if I was on my own because I knew almost everyone was having to wait for me at every stop for at least the entire 2nd half. It was good, but it sucked at the same time. :-)
2016-05-23 11:03 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Pinehurst Int
Cass congrats on medaling. Looks like a nice one too!

I raced this week although I didn't preform nearly as well. Pinehurst was my third race this year and my first Oly this season. I have only ran one race this distance and that was at the end of last season. This was a very hill course with a longer bike segment at 30 miles.

It was raining in the morning so the weather was cool. I waited as long as possible to get my wet suit on and get in the water. I only had time for 200 yards or so of warmup. The water was 72 degrees so not horrible, warmer than the air. It was a beach start and I let the folks in my wave have at it and waited a bit on the beach. The course was a triangle moving counter clockwise withe the first turn being oblique. I swam steady the first 200 not wanting to over do it and then settled in. I took an outside lane and may have gone to outside but my sighting was good and I maintained the line i choose at the time. I felt a little bad as someone back stroked perpendicular to the course right in front of me and I didn't stop then. Oh well. Hit the first turn and stayed a little wide. Hit second turn and started to get confused. I could see the dancing man but in was behind some boats. Sighted on the bouys and just went. Pushed the last 200 but over all I went slower than I could have on the swim. From water to t1 was an up hill run. I couldn't run straight or find my cord for the wet suit. Ugh. GPS had my swim at 1.12 miles, so a bit longer than the 1.5K. T1 went slow but on my bike and off. The bike was freaking hard. Lots and lots of hill. I go passed a lot. I kept a 18 mph pace for the thirty miles but changing between 8 and 28 mph. Felt pretty spent hitting the run and ran slower than my goal pace, but considering the bike course I was okay with it. The run was hilly but less so. Finished at the top of the bottom third essentially but overall pretty happy with the race. Not my best effort but a good starting point for Olys this year and I worked out my swim issue.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...
for the official report

Edited by nrpoulin 2016-05-24 12:36 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22756 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.