BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-09-12 7:56 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Manchester Mapleleaf 5K(+)

Originally posted by rjchilds8 We went back to our "roots" for the Childs family 5K trophy this year. Besides vying for the family championship cup, I was also looking for redemption as the only family member to have run the race and never won a medal. Mission accomplished! A few years ago, they lengthened the 5K to 3.28 miles (and now call it "5K+") and pushed the start back to 8 a.m. After that, we looked for a different race to run. But last year, the race we had run for 2 years didn't hold the event and we went without a champion in 2015. So I floated the idea of going back to Manchester (VT) and it was game on! I was pretty confident that it would take a major disaster for me to lose the family cup. My younger brother hadn't been doing any running and my older brother had fallen off his training, so I was mostly competing against myself and my age group for that elusive podium finish! I had run a time trail on the treadmill at the 3.3 distance and clocked in at 25:43, so I knew what I was capable of. I just had to put in the effort and race day. I knew the course very well and there weren't going to be any significant hills. I didn't really hold back and was fast (for me) out of the gate. My first mile was 7:32. I knew I couldn't keep up that pace, but it gave me a cushion that I would need later. One guy and I traded positions a couple times in that first mile, but he pulled ahead just after the Mile 1 marker and I just settled in on his heels. The gap between us fluctuated by a few feet, but largely I stayed right behind him and finished mile 2 in 7:51. Slightly under my time trial pace, but acceptable with the time I gained in mile 1. About 2 1/4 miles in I finally started to feel the effects of the pace, but I did my best to keep pushing. The guy whose heels I had been chasing slowly started to pull ahead of me. We entered some woods for a short while and I let him go and kept my pace up as best as possible. Coming out of the woods, I knew I was on the home stretch, right about the mile 3 mark. I took a look over my shoulder an could see one guy in a white t-shirt maybe 70-100 yards behind me. I didn't want him to even sniff a hint of confidence that he could catch me and put the hammer down a little. I finished mile 3 in 8:06 and cranked it up to run the last 0.28 at 7:14/mile pace! The end result was a 17th overall finish and FIRST in my age group! I was so thrilled! It wasn't until later that day that I realized I had only won my age group by a mere 4 seconds. Thank you, random guy in a white t-shirt. The sight of you behind me is probably the motivation I needed to to push my pace at the end. ;-)

Great Race and great write-up! So was the guy in the T-shirt the same guy that you beat by 4 seconds for the win? Congrats on the Family Cup as well. I think you are starting a dynasty Give your brothers my contact info and I will try to coach em up

2016-09-12 8:11 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Palouse Sprint Triathlon

Originally posted by burner2 Palouse Sprint Triathlon 500 yards/9.3 miles/5K 1:36:10? So, this was an interesting race. I thought it was at an indoor pool, but it turns out it was an outdoor pool at a small aquatic park. It was a pretty nice facility, with a 25-yard, six-lane pool on one end, and a kids’ wading pool with lots of toys and slides on the other end. Two different transitions: one in the parking lot outside the pool where we racked our bikes, and the other two blocks down the street at the junior high school, where we left our run gear. I’m not sure why they had two transitions since the aquatic center was closed for the season, so it’s not like anyone else needed to use the parking lot, but whatever! The aquatic park was enclosed by a tall chainlink fence, and the swim exit was through a gate about five or six feet wide, with the timing mat just behind it. I was in the third heat, sharing a lane with two other women. I self-seeded myself second, which turned out to be the right choice because I actually was the second fastest (slowest?) swimmer in the group. The first swimmer took off, and I followed five seconds behind her, with the third woman five seconds behind me. I didn’t have any issues with the swim. Half way through, I took a quick look at the clock, and it showed 6:31, so I was swimming faster than I had expected (about 2:30/100 yards). After my ten laps, I got out of the pool and ran for the exit. It was completely blocked! Two toddlers had pushed two strollers across it and stopped. Behind them were a half dozen other toddlers and kids of various sizes, and they all must have been orphans because there were no parents in sight. I screamed “Clear the exit! Clear the exit!” But the kids just stood there and stared at me with wide eyes and gaping mouths. The volunteer staffing the gate just sat there and did nothing. “MOVE!” I screamed and motioned for them to move aside. They just stood there; not one of them moved. I didn’t know what to do, and my exit was completely blocked, clear out past the timing mat. There was no other way for me to get out, so I just plowed through them, pushing them to the side. I appreciate kids and love seeing them at races, but no parent would take their children to a football game and allow them to play on the field during the game, would they? So why do they let them play on our “field” during our events? I was so angry! I couldn’t believe the race organizers allowed this to happen! I fully expected to be disqualified for unsportsmanlike behavior, even though I used “polite” language and refrained from the more colorful words that more fully expressed my anger. However, I did try to be gentle as I moved through the knee-high crowd, and I didn't hear any crying or yelling as I ran past to transition. In fact, I was VERY AWARE at that moment that the announcer said NOTHING and didn't warn parents about keeping their children out of the way! That was unacceptable! I grabbed my bike and headed out transition. There was no marked mount area, so I had to stop and ask a volunteer. Apparently, it was OK to mount as soon as we exited the bike corral, so I hopped on and headed for the street. I had no idea which way to go. Turn left? Or right? Again, I had to stop and ask a volunteer. I headed out in the direction he pointed, and as I passed a side street a block later, I saw a mileage marker sign on a sandwich board. Wait, what? I rode another couple of blocks, and then got concerned I was heading in the wrong direction, so I turned around and went back to ask whether I was supposed to go down the side street or continue on the street I was on. The other competitors I asked didn’t know for sure, either, but said they thought maybe we kept going straight, so we did. It turns out the sandwich board was for ANOTHER event taking place the following day. Good grief! How confusing! So, I got straightened out on the route, and the rest of the ride was well marked with both volunteers to point the way and markings on the pavement. However, the ride was really disappointing. Fat people on mountain bikes cruised past me like I was relaxing on a sofa stuffing chips in my mouth. No matter how hard I pushed myself, I couldn’t pass a single person. The wind was pretty strong, too. There are no trees in that area of the country; just wheat fields and wind. And rolling hills. It was not fun. The run was pretty uneventful, except I was painfully slow. This was the only part of the event for which I used my Garmin, and I could see I was way off my usual pace, which is slow to begin with, but this was cringe-worthy slow. And it hurt. I was wondering if I would be able to tell I hadn’t trained in a month during this race, and boy! could I see a difference! And again, the entire route was marked for TWO other events, but fortunately, they had plenty of volunteers to keep us going in the right direction. I stuck it out and just pushed myself as hard as I could. About the last half mile or so, I caught up with another woman. I thought I recognized her. She was alternating walking/slow jogging, and we chatted for a bit. We didn’t have our ages on our calves for this race, so I wasn’t sure if she was in my age group, but I thought she was. When we got within about a hundred yards of the finish line, she picked up her pace and cruised past me as fresh as if she was just starting her run. I tried to challenge her, but I was done. I just didn’t have it in me, and she crossed the finish line eight seconds ahead of me. It turns out she WAS in my age group, and when they posted the official times, she was listed in second, and me in third. Well, that’s something at least, right? They didn’t give out finisher’s medals at this race, but they did give out awards medals. I wasn't happy that there were only eight seconds between me and second place, especially given the problems I'd had, but a medal is a medal. I had been attending church camp at Lake Coeur d’Alene this weekend and just drove down for the race, planning to head right back to camp to spend time with my friends. However, since I had placed, I wanted to wait around to get my medal, even though it was a couple hours drive back. They wouldn’t give out medals until the award ceremony that afternoon, and if you didn’t attend, you wouldn’t get a medal. Fine. I had five hours to kill (seriously!), so I took a shower and headed downtown for lunch, only to find the entire town was closed off for some festival or something. Thousands and thousands of people and no parking and thousands and thousands of people milling around in a tiny, tiny town. It wasn’t worth it. I don’t like crowds and I didn’t want to wait for food and I was tired and sore and cranky, so I headed back to the event venue to wait for the award ceremony and snacked on (more!) granola bars. They had a kids triathlon going on, and it would be fun to watch, so that was something. And it was fun to watch! They had kids as young as five competing, and they all got finishers medals and everybody cheered them on. Finally, the award ceremony started, and I waited patiently while they got to my age group. I stood up, ready to go up when my name was called, and instead, they called three names that didn’t include mine. The woman who had been listed as second got third, and two other women (who didn’t show up for the award ceremony) got first and second. Good grief! I waited five hours! And nothing! I don’t know what happened. I’m guessing a woman had perhaps registered in the wrong age group and it was corrected between the race finish and the ceremony. In any event, I ended up out of medal contention, and I’m pretty angry still about what happened. Having the swim exit blocked cost me time, and the beginning of the bike course not being marked cost me time. I figure I lost at least five minutes dealing with all this. However, in all honesty, I don’t know that I would have placed higher if those issues hadn’t happened because others may have experienced them, too. It could be the woman who ran past me had the same problems and just overcame them better than I. The “official” official results aren’t out yet, but I believe my time was 1:36:10, which is pretty embarrassing for a 500 yard/9.3 mile/5K triathlon and about 20 minutes slower than I expected. I forgot to hit stop on my Garmin at the finish of the run, but I think my time for the 5K is around 40 minutes, which means it’s the slowest 5K I’ve run since 2014. Yes, not having trained in four weeks HAS made a difference! I came back from Burning Man fat, exhausted, and out of shape. I know now not to race too soon getting home!

Cass,

Take the good races with the bad. If you haven't been training much, then you knew your results and times probably wouldn't be up to your former expectations. Use it as motivation for the next one.

Knowing the course and which way to go out of transition is on you. Always make sure you know where and which way to go, at least to get started, then you can follow signage or other racers. The deal with the gate and the kids. Unacceptable in my opinion, especially if there was a volunteer right there and they did nothing.  I'm sure I would have reacted the same way you did, and pushed my way through. I'd probably send a follow-up email to the RD, if for no other reason than to make them aware that it was a problem and maybe they can be sure to address it in the future.

2016-09-12 8:26 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: White Lake Fall Race Report

Originally posted by nrpoulin
Originally posted by nrpoulin Second race of the year was yesterday. Overall I was pretty happy but still struggle to put it all together. Stop here if you wanted the short version This race is about 2.5 hours south of us, and the town looks like its stuck in the 50's. Two years ago I raced here and the motor inn left a lot to be desired so my wife and family decided to sit this one out. I had arranged for a hotel Saturday night that was about 40 minutes outside of town (not of the motor inns by the lake allow for online booking). Had planned to leave around 7 to get down there in time to stretch and relax but decided to have a dinner date first since my wife got a sitter to help out. The sitter arrived as I was mounting my bike on the roof. I finally got on the road around 8:30. I mention all this because I never loaded my front tire. I realized this about an hour into my drive, and turned around. I ultimately arrived at my hotel at midnight. Since I was 40 minutes from the race It was going to be an early morning. I got on sight at 6:20 for a 8:00 race. It was 60 degrees, and I registered, and got my TZ ready. I went to bike support and had my front brake adjusted. An athlete suggested I clean the fine dirt and plant mater from "grass" off my tire as it could result in a flat. I was worried about it getting in my gear which I spent an hour or two cleaning the day before. A couple trips to the bathroom and then it was time to get into my wet suit. I did some light stretching. The water was 69 degrees so warmer than air. No time for a warm up. I had been swimming pretty fast and typically in the top third for swimmer in most events so I positioned myself toward the front of the scrum. That was a mistake. Don't know what was wrong but I just couldn't swim today. This is the second time racing this race and I was slower than two years ago when it was my second race and I am a significantly better swimmer now. Two years ago I rented a full suit and used my own sleeveless for this race. I had only used it once before in NH and did get to swim a couple times in it the week before. Not sure what happened but this was the worst swim I have had in three years. T1 was going well. The TA was large because there was an Oly and Half the day before and there was a lot of space to run thru. (I guess they didn't reuse any numbers) . Timing chip got stuck in my suit and I didn't realize till I was leaving TA and had to run back. Got on the bike well and upto speed. Realized that although I had double checked my breaks in setup I hadn't looked at my speedometer, and the sensor wasn't catching. Grrr. I had planned on keeping the pace around 19 mph. Now I was gonna go by feel. Two loops around the lake. The first loop I passed a few people and got passed by one. Technically two but I passed him back and never saw him again. During the second loop I passed a lot of folks and got passed by 3 more. I was tough to know if we were on the same lap or not. Drank my entire areobottle and took a gel in the last mile or two. I paced out at 20.2 mph. Faster than I planned. My fastest bike average speed was 20.4 last year at the mid to end of the season. T2 went better. I had set a goal to average 8:15 per mile (pre race), but know that the harder I bike the more I lose on the run. Changed my watch to run, and caught my first quarter mile at 6:30. Thought it must have been wrong and settled into a nice pace. I as able to keep the pace right around 8 minutes the whole way. My official run split was 24:59 which is an 8:02min/mile for the 5K. I had the distance at 3.2 on my GPS (7:49 pace). Either way the best sprint triathlon 5K. My splits on my watch were 7:26, 8:13, 7:50, and 7:18 for the last little bit. No podium but I did manage to shave 14 minutes from my rookie season two years ago. Still baffled by the swim which has been my strong point in all my previous races. Next race in a month at the Olympic distance. If the water is nice I will forgo the wet suit, but it sure is cold that early in the morning.
Did the White lake fall race today. Its the same as the spring course, and marks the 3rd time I've raced it. It was hot and humid but could have been worse. Earlier this year I shaved 14 minutes from two years ago and today I took an additional 1:45 off. Mostly in transition and swim. Had a better swim today, just over a minute faster than the spring. Didn't mess with a wetsuit (water to hot anyway). Lack of wet suit also resulted in the 1 minute reduction in T1. Bike went well. tweaked my hamstring less than an mile in but it started to feel better by mile 2. Pushed it at times surging to 25.6 to pass a group of riders on a couple occasions. Overall on a few seconds faster than the spring. Transition 2 10 sec faster than spring. Headed out for the run and just felt heavy. Thought I would loosen up but just felt heavy the whole way. Only 26 sec slower than the spring. Overall a decent performance for me. Still got housed in my AG. Here is my BT report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Good race, Nate.

Every little bit of improvement helps. Curious as to what bike you are riding?

I looked at the results, lots of time in transitions you are leaving on the table, easily a full minute could be saved. Swim is right there with the leaders. 

2016-09-12 9:32 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Manchester Mapleleaf 5K(+)
Originally posted by Dominion

Great Race and great write-up! So was the guy in the T-shirt the same guy that you beat by 4 seconds for the win? Congrats on the Family Cup as well. I think you are starting a dynasty Give your brothers my contact info and I will try to coach em up

Ha, ha! Well, I'm not sure I want them getting any faster, I kinda like winning! ;-)

I never did pay attention to the guy in the white t-shirt other than to know he was there. At the time I finished, I didn't think that he might have been in contention. He seemed much farther back than I guess he actually was. It must have been him, though. I didn't think anyone else was even close to me. But I must not be very observant because in the final results there was someone 2 seconds, 3 seconds, and 4 seconds behind me! Granted, those people started 7, 10, and 8 seconds behind me at the gun. So the final gaps would have been 9, 13, and 12 seconds. But I didn't think anyone was even within 30 seconds of me. I guess I better pay more attention next time!
2016-09-12 10:14 PM

User image

I'm riding my QR Kilo. This is the third season with it I think. I just put a new cassette and chain on and upgraded to ultegra which has a slightly different gearing ratio that the SRAM I had. I also just upgraded to Speedplay peddles and cleats from entry level shimano SPD. I had a gift certificate to a shop 1.5 hours away and needed to use it so I got the nicer peddles and picked up my wife a pair of ghost 8's in the color she likes. I really wanted rims but I didn't have that much money to indulge so I went with the peddles. This was actually the first ride in them. I did two trainer rides. Truth be told I have take my bike outside for a ride exalty 7 times this year 4 races, 1 time at the beach after a race, 1 group ride, and a solo. I ride mostly at night. Just did 60 minutes tonight as part of my active recovery from the race (my hamstrings are killing me).

The mat for the swim was followed by a run to tz. I got passed by a lot of people on this run. If I improved my intensity here I could shave 15 sec. I also put my socks and shoes on in tz which takes time. I think next year I will work on keeping the shoes on the peddles and taking off that way. I do know I don't have much clearance between my shoes and the ground. So it could backfire. I think this could get me another 20 sec, maybe more.

Ultimately my run is still dragging me down, although I have had significant improvements this year. I hope to get this closer to 7:30 pace next year. I may need to race more to get more comfortable being really uncomfortable.)

Despite the improvements I have seen this year, it all came without doing speed work at all, ie no repeat. I have done some tempo runs. But mostly LSD and steady days. This year has been far to chaotic to get solid work in and my SBR workouts have been surprisingly bland, and bland in gets bland out. But I could be doing nothing right?

Curious why you asked what bike I was using? One of these days I am gonna try to go all out on the bike and see what happens. Not like I will ruin my chances of winning!
2016-09-13 12:12 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: MTB v Road/Tri bikes v BMI
I’ve been doing some research to try to figure out why heavier people on mountain bikes can pass me so easily because this is an issue that has bugged me for quite some time. They don’t always pass me slowly, with the rider struggling, but rather, they pass me as if I’m a spectator, just sitting on the sidelines. It’s not something that happens occasionally, but rather something that happens with great regularity, and not just during races. I get passed all the time when I’m out training, too! I’ll be busting my buns, keeping my cadence high, riding in aero, and someone with a significantly higher BMI will cruise past me on a mountain bike with fat, knobby tires, sitting near vertical on their bike, pedaling like they’re out for a Sunday ride with the kids. I don’t get it! Looking at just the bikes, road bikes are lighter, have less rolling resistance, and are (generally) higher geared than mountain bikes, so they tend to be quite a bit faster. One website I read estimated road bikes to be about 32% faster than mountain bikes (http://bikecalculator.com/examples.html). This is a significant difference! All things being equal, a rider on a road or tri bike should be way faster than someone on a mountain bike.

And then taking weight into consideration, according to Bicycle.com (http://www.bicycling.com/food/reach-your-ideal-cycling-weight), “the single best measure of your cycling performance is your power-to-weight ratio.” I don’t know my power ratio, but I know I’m a lot lighter than many of the people who pass me so easily, so logically (I think), I should be faster, right? Especially considering a rider who not only has a significantly higher BMI than me, but is also on a mountain bike, which is theoretically 2/3 the speed of my bike.

On the other hand, I have to admit I’m making a flawed assumption that people who ride mountain bikes during road triathlons tend to be those new to the sport, so therefore are trying it out to see if it’s for them before replacing their existing bikes, or those who race recreationally just for fun (versus those of us who race recreationally for fun and to annihilate our competition…I mean, beat our previous personal bests) and therefore have less time training than me. This also makes it hard for me to comprehend the whole power-to-weight ratio thing which suggests that these triathletes who pass me so easily on their mountain bikes must be considerably stronger than I, and therefore able to pedal not only with more power than me, but enough power to compensate for their slower bikes and wind resistance. I just don’t get this.

So what am I doing wrong? Or, what are they doing so right that makes it so easy for them to pass me when I have the advantage of a faster bike, aerodynamics, and weight? I don’t get it. Is it a strength issue? I've been training pretty hard for 2 1/2 years now; my legs are pretty rock hard, so I have a hard time believing I'm just not strong enough to produce the power needed to keep up with people on mountain bikes.

2016-09-13 12:22 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: RE: Palouse Sprint Triathlon

Knowing the course and which way to go out of transition is on you. Always make sure you know where and which way to go, at least to get started, then you can follow signage or other racers. The deal with the gate and the kids. Unacceptable in my opinion, especially if there was a volunteer right there and they did nothing.  I'm sure I would have reacted the same way you did, and pushed my way through. I'd probably send a follow-up email to the RD, if for no other reason than to make them aware that it was a problem and maybe they can be sure to address it in the future.

I usually study the route maps in advance of my races, but this was the one time I didn't because I was without Internet for most of the past three weeks. Live and learn! I should have printed them out before I went on vacation. I also opted out of driving down to check in the night before because it was such a long drive (five hours south). Usually, I'll take that opportunity to familiarize myself with the route in person.

Yes, I plan to email the race director to let him know. I'll probably not do this race again just because the timing is really bad for me, but it would be good to ensure this doesn't happen to anyone else. The one really nice thing about this race is they had pie at the finish line.
2016-09-13 7:46 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: MTB v Road/Tri bikes v BMI

Originally posted by burner2 I’ve been doing some research to try to figure out why heavier people on mountain bikes can pass me so easily because this is an issue that has bugged me for quite some time. They don’t always pass me slowly, with the rider struggling, but rather, they pass me as if I’m a spectator, just sitting on the sidelines. It’s not something that happens occasionally, but rather something that happens with great regularity, and not just during races. I get passed all the time when I’m out training, too! I’ll be busting my buns, keeping my cadence high, riding in aero, and someone with a significantly higher BMI will cruise past me on a mountain bike with fat, knobby tires, sitting near vertical on their bike, pedaling like they’re out for a Sunday ride with the kids. I don’t get it! Looking at just the bikes, road bikes are lighter, have less rolling resistance, and are (generally) higher geared than mountain bikes, so they tend to be quite a bit faster. One website I read estimated road bikes to be about 32% faster than mountain bikes (http://bikecalculator.com/examples.html). This is a significant difference! All things being equal, a rider on a road or tri bike should be way faster than someone on a mountain bike. And then taking weight into consideration, according to Bicycle.com (http://www.bicycling.com/food/reach-your-ideal-cycling-weight), “the single best measure of your cycling performance is your power-to-weight ratio.” I don’t know my power ratio, but I know I’m a lot lighter than many of the people who pass me so easily, so logically (I think), I should be faster, right? Especially considering a rider who not only has a significantly higher BMI than me, but is also on a mountain bike, which is theoretically 2/3 the speed of my bike. On the other hand, I have to admit I’m making a flawed assumption that people who ride mountain bikes during road triathlons tend to be those new to the sport, so therefore are trying it out to see if it’s for them before replacing their existing bikes, or those who race recreationally just for fun (versus those of us who race recreationally for fun and to annihilate our competition…I mean, beat our previous personal bests) and therefore have less time training than me. This also makes it hard for me to comprehend the whole power-to-weight ratio thing which suggests that these triathletes who pass me so easily on their mountain bikes must be considerably stronger than I, and therefore able to pedal not only with more power than me, but enough power to compensate for their slower bikes and wind resistance. I just don’t get this. So what am I doing wrong? Or, what are they doing so right that makes it so easy for them to pass me when I have the advantage of a faster bike, aerodynamics, and weight? I don’t get it. Is it a strength issue? I've been training pretty hard for 2 1/2 years now; my legs are pretty rock hard, so I have a hard time believing I'm just not strong enough to produce the power needed to keep up with people on mountain bikes.

What gearing are you riding in? It could be that you are just not transferring enough of that power to the wheel. It could be that your rpm is so high that you are mostly just spinning. Try to drop your cadence a little with a bigger gear. Your rpm will drop initially but you should produce more power, then over time you should be able to adapt your rpm back up only now pulling a bigger gear and increasing speed. I don't know if this is your problem or not, just speculating from the info provided. And don't forget, weight is an advantage downhill. So if they are passing you on the descents that could be why also.

2016-09-13 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin I'm riding my QR Kilo. Curious why you asked what bike I was using? One of these days I am gonna try to go all out on the bike and see what happens. Not like I will ruin my chances of winning!

That's right, I forgot you had the QR. I thought you had a tri bike but wasn't sure. I was just wondering if you were giving up aerodynamics on a road bike or something like that slowing you down a little. 

I think you should try the all out bike strategy and just see what happens. That is what I try to do in short course racing. When I hit the bike it is full speed ahead and I am trying to mow down as many people as possible. The last mile I may back off just a bit and get the rest of my hydration and bring the HR under control.

Moving fast on the bike can make up for a lot of other areas in a race. And you may find that it really affects your running very little. Many people regardless of fatigue can still find that routine pace that they are accustomed to running and lock into it even after a tougher bike ride. In other words, going harder on the bike may not slow your run as much as you might think. If you could save 2 or 3 minutes on the bike, it would be well worth it, even if you ran 30 seconds to 1:00 slower. My advice would be to play around with it and see what works for you.

2016-09-13 10:44 AM

User image

I was a little surprised at my average speed because everytime I looked down I was going 21+ with a few bursts upto 25. I probably corner a little slower than most but considering I almost took out some cones thats a good thing. I need to ride more consistently if I am to get better in this aspect of triathlon. Although there are group rides with people that are faster, if I do ride on the weekend with friends then are typically in the 17-18 mph range which is a little to slow unless I am going to go out for 2 hours.

Nate
2016-09-13 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin I was a little surprised at my average speed because everytime I looked down I was going 21+ with a few bursts upto 25. I probably corner a little slower than most but considering I almost took out some cones thats a good thing. I need to ride more consistently if I am to get better in this aspect of triathlon. Although there are group rides with people that are faster, if I do ride on the weekend with friends then are typically in the 17-18 mph range which is a little to slow unless I am going to go out for 2 hours. Nate

Go to the faster group rides and hang on for dear life! That is how I started. I used to get dropped all the time. Then I spent a hard winter on the trainer and came back in the spring and didn't get dropped anymore. A few years later and I am the 2nd or 3rd fastest guy in the group. There is an old saying, to get better in triathlon don't train with triathletes. Swim with swimmers, ride with cyclists, and run with runners. I've found it to be quite true

2016-09-14 10:03 AM

User image

looks like I will be on the cusp of placing in the NCTS series. There is a minimum of 5 races required and I will get that with my next race. The top five in each age group get an award. I have registered for the Oly where there is 8 people in my age group. Two have out preformed me this year, and a head on the standings. The sprint has two in my age group. Scores are calculated by finding the average time in seconds for the top 5 in the AG and then dividing this time by your time. For this sprint this is multiplied by 0.9 and the Olympic by 0.93.

I am torn between staying in the Olympic vs dropping down to the sprint. The sprint gives we the possibility of hitting the podium, and due to the way its scored improves my chances of getting series prize. I can also try my all out bike strategy.

The olympic will by my second race at this distance this year, and third ever. I am training for a half marathon and my run volume has fallen off and I really need to build and race thru. The longer distance will be a better workout.

Thoughts? Glory or Big Picture...

Nate
2016-09-14 6:14 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin looks like I will be on the cusp of placing in the NCTS series. There is a minimum of 5 races required and I will get that with my next race. The top five in each age group get an award. I have registered for the Oly where there is 8 people in my age group. Two have out preformed me this year, and a head on the standings. The sprint has two in my age group. Scores are calculated by finding the average time in seconds for the top 5 in the AG and then dividing this time by your time. For this sprint this is multiplied by 0.9 and the Olympic by 0.93. I am torn between staying in the Olympic vs dropping down to the sprint. The sprint gives we the possibility of hitting the podium, and due to the way its scored improves my chances of getting series prize. I can also try my all out bike strategy. The olympic will by my second race at this distance this year, and third ever. I am training for a half marathon and my run volume has fallen off and I really need to build and race thru. The longer distance will be a better workout. Thoughts? Glory or Big Picture... Nate

The Olympic has the higher multiplier, so should be worth more points given a comparable result.

Edit: Not telling you what you should do, just sayin the Olympic is worth more points

Edited by Dominion 2016-09-15 8:07 AM
2016-09-15 2:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

The olympic will by my second race at this distance this year, and third ever. I am training for a half marathon and my run volume has fallen off and I really need to build and race thru. The longer distance will be a better workout.

Thoughts? Glory or Big Picture...

Nate

Seems like you and I are up to the same things these days. I've also been trying to get my run volume up in preparation for a half marathon. I have my last sprint tri (no Oly option) this weekend. I follow that up with an obstacle course race (~3.5 miles) next weekend and then my half marathon on 10/9. I've sacrificed my bike a little in order to ramp up to the half.

I'm assuming you didn't mean that you would try your all out bike strategy on the Oly, only the sprint, right? In my last Oly, I paced myself a little too fast on a very tough, hilly bike course (and a hot day) and I really paid the price on the run. For a sprint with a shorter bike ride, I can see testing out that strategy. But I wonder whether or not that would be a bad idea for an Oly, especially if your run volume is down.

To me, the decision would probably come down to what was more important to me. Do you care more about having a good time in your half marathon or would you rather score a prize in your race series? If you are thinking more about the tri series, then I'd be focused on that and not care so much about the half mary. The other question is, do you want to feel like you used the back door to sneak into a prize position or do you want to feel like you kicked down the front door and walked in like a boss?!
2016-09-16 10:53 AM

User image

Lots of analysis

The other olympic I did this year was the lowest points I had scored at 7392. My other races were 7866, 8162 and 8085(if my calculations are correct). I think because the higher overall time, unless you place in the Top five in the longer races its harder to get as many points. The multiplier just doesn't contribute to much (0.9 vs 0.93). For an Oly that .03 roughly equates to 4:48 if the average time for the top 5 is 2:40:00. It will probably be a little slower, and I anticipate being around the 3 hour mark.

In my heart I want to stick to the plan and do the oly, and that is likely what I will do. I am conflicted because I didn't medal this year it would be nice to podium. Over course it would be a small victory if everyone that raced in my AG podiumed.

They still haven't added my points from last weekend, and my standing after they do will likely effect my decision. Currently only 2 athletes in my AG have done at least 5 races in the series that have been scored (one isn't catchable). I am in 12th place. The guys in 6th, 7th and 8th placed raced (2 will have gotten their 5th races). One guy below me did two races and will move up above me. I will likely move up to 9th or 10th place. If I am within 8000 points of a top five I will change races. I think other people will be looking at their points too and trying to decide what is best. A change may backfire. Either way I get a series prize for doing 5 races.

I wont do the all out bike strategy for the Olympic, but will likely try to keep the pace I have been riding the sprints at.

My HM isn't until November so I have a little time. The aerobic miles for a sprint is about 10, and 21 for the olympic (1mile running =1, 0.25 swim = 1, and 3 bikes bike =1). So as for a physical exertion and training the olympic would be better in helping me to get ready. It would also give me another olympic prior to next year when I may or may not go for a HIM.
2016-09-18 12:32 PM

User image

Subject: Last tri of the year
Finished up my tri season with a sprint yesterday. Not my best race of the year, but my training has been pretty sporadic over the last 3-4 weeks, so it wasn't a total surprise. I had sacrificed some of my bike training to increase my focus on the run. Between my family 5K and my first half marathon in 3 weeks, I've had multiple (conflicting) goals. My biking has suffered and I hadn't been in the pool in nearly two weeks!

At the end of last year, I had bought some neoprene "wet suit" shorts. I had only used them once in the pool, but figured this race was a good chance to try them out in competition. I could feel the added buoyancy as soon as I dove in the water to start my swim warm up. I could tell it was lifting my hips higher in the water. The 1/4 mile swim used a wave start, not my favorite. I waded in slowly to allow the other swimmers time to spread out. Once I got going, things seemed to be going smoothly. After rounding the first buoy, I did get my arms tangled up with one other swimmer who seemed like a guided missile heading right into me. I didn't panic, but I could tell the stress was affecting my breathing. I got myself under control and pushed on. I passed a couple people heading into shore and my finish time of 8:52 was good for 48th out of 140 and cut 36 seconds off from last year.

T1 went about the same as last year. But between the long runs for my half mary and the lack of time in the saddle, my legs felt pretty heavy almost as soon as I started out on the course. I did my best to manage the tired feeling and to try to keep up a good race pace effort. This race also has a very hilly course, as much elevation gain as my last two races that were 15 and 24 miles, only this was only 11 miles. I tried to keep track of the number of people passing me and the number I passed. My best guess was that I lost about 15 places on the bike. I cruised into T2 in 40:00. By far, not my best bike of the year and almost a full minute slower than last year. It put me 75th out of 140 on the bike, solidly in the middle of the pack, but not as well as I have been doing this year.

T2 was one of the worst transitions I've ever had. Maybe I was feeling rushed because of the lost positions on the bike, but I was a bumbling mess. My T2 time was more than a minute slower than last year. I headed out onto the run with a group of 10-12 runners within reach. I had grand thoughts of passing them all. But in less than 2 minutes, I started getting cramps in my left calf. To make it worse, there were no suitable trees to stretch against for practically a minute of running, so I had to limp my way through that stretch. After taking 20-30 seconds to stretch, I was back to running. That large group was quite a ways out in front of my now and seemed far less within reach. I put a pretty hard effort in on the run and tried to make up as many spots as possible. By my count, I gained 5 positions back on the run. My time of 25:56 for the 3.2 mile course was good for 50/140. My GPS measured it closer to 3.1, but the race info said 3.2. According to my watch, I crushed that last mile to the tune of 7:55!

My overall time of 1:18:41 was good for 61/140 and 11/14 in my age group. I did manage to shave about 50 seconds off last year's time. Not as much as I had hoped for, but not surprising due to my lack of training recently. Sucks being in such a tough age group. Nearly 20% of the top 61 times were in the M45-49 group! Sadly, I would have medaled in a couple of the younger groups! LOL

Full race report: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

2016-09-18 3:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Last tri of the year

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Finished up my tri season... Nearly 20% of the top 61 times were in the M45-49 group! Sadly, I would have medaled in a couple of the younger groups!

I have more of those "sigh, not bad" end of the season races than any other kind. Congrats on another good season! Hurry up and join me in the 50+ group!

2016-09-18 3:50 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: So ready for winter!

It just hit 100*F here. At least it burned the humidity down under 50%. I have another bike ride when I get off work and just can't wrap my head around it. I'm ready for winter!!

2016-09-19 11:45 AM

User image

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Finished up my tri season... Nearly 20% of the top 61 times were in the M45-49 group! Sadly, I would have medaled in a couple of the younger groups!

I have more of those "sigh, not bad" end of the season races than any other kind. Congrats on another good season! Hurry up and join me in the 50+ group!

I'm OK with it. I knew I was giving up some tri training to focus on running. I know that I easily could have done better if I had only been focused on triathlon training leading up to that race.

Don't rush me into that 50+ group, Monty! I'm going to try to enjoy racing in one of the toughest groups out there for another season next year. Although, to be honest, it isn't like it suddenly gets easy in the 50-54 age group. It won't be like I'll magically be contending for a podium spot all of a sudden. I see a lot of those guys pass me on the bike! ;-)
2016-09-19 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by rjchilds8

I'm OK with it. I knew I was giving up some tri training to focus on running. I know that I easily could have done better if I had only been focused on triathlon training leading up to that race. Don't rush me into that 50+ group, Monty! I'm going to try to enjoy racing in one of the toughest groups out there for another season next year. Although, to be honest, it isn't like it suddenly gets easy in the 50-54 age group. It won't be like I'll magically be contending for a podium spot all of a sudden. I see a lot of those guys pass me on the bike! ;-)

Absolutely, it's not any easier!  HAHA!

2016-09-19 7:31 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: Brownie Brothers

Brownie Finish

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-09-19 7:35 PM

2016-09-19 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Brownie Brothers

Lets all meet up and do this!!

Ultra Runner Karl Meltzen

2016-09-19 8:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Lets all meet up and do this!!

Ultra Runner Karl Meltzen

I's like to do the AT someday. Not running though. It will have to wait for retirement I guess.

2016-09-19 8:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Brownie Finish

This was great!

I plastered this video on my FB and Twitter. Always been a huge fan of the Brownlee's. 

2016-09-20 8:24 AM

User image

Brownie Finish

This was great!

I plastered this video on my FB and Twitter. Always been a huge fan of the Brownlee's. 

It's an amazing show of love and support for his brother. I love watching the Brownlee's compete. But at the same time, when I watch that video I start to wonder about whether or not it was the smart thing to do. With someone that was in that kind of physical distress, it seems like it would have been smarter to wait for medical attention to be administered. I know you want him to win the series title, but it seemed like he might have been risking his health or even possibly his life! I'm no medical expert, so I have no formal knowledge of what his body might have been going through at that moment. Am I the only one that thinks that was a risky thing to do?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22579 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.