BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-10-20 1:31 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!!
Thanks, Chris. I'm actually taking off the ENTIRE MONTH of October. No training at all, for the first time in 3 1/2 years. Instead, I've repaired all the windows in my house, repaired my garage walls (they had weird holes), and painted everything. (I thought about painting my house to match my bike, but decided that was a bit too much.) I've also dug up my flower garden and am in the process of paving it so I have more room to work on my bikes and clean my wetsuit without needing a long hose. Next is fixing my fence and cutting up all the branches from last winter's tree trimming and donating to people who need help with firewood this winter. I'm checking off quite a few long-neglected projects on my list so I don't have to feel guilty about training all the time and ignoring chores. And several of my neighbors have stopped by so far to thank me, LOL. I guess my place was looking pretty neglected!

I've also been harvesting fruits and vegetables from my small orchard and my very first garden! I'm preparing tons of precooked meals and filling my freezer so that when I get back into training, I don't have to worry about meals on long training nights. I can just pull something healthy out of the freezer, rather than resorting to pizza or something from the deli. I've even filled the freezer at work with a month's worth of soups for lunches and healthy snacks. It will be a lot easier for me to get back on track and stay there when I start back up in November, and a lot less stressful, too!

2016-10-20 6:52 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Hot Shot
Has anyone either tried or know someone who has tried the Hot Shot product for cramps? I keep seeing ads for it, but I haven't talked to anyone that has actually used it. I'm curious if anyone has used or knows someone who has used this product. I've been thinking about buying some, but I went on their web site and they want $35 for a 6 pack! I'd buy a single one if I could, but I don't see that option. I didn't want to spend $35 on something that might not actually work as advertised. Wondering if anyone on the group has info to share. ;-)
2016-10-20 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Hot Shot

Can't say I've tried it. May want to take it to the general forum.

2016-10-20 9:06 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 Thanks, Chris. I'm actually taking off the ENTIRE MONTH of October. No training at all, for the first time in 3 1/2 years. Instead, I've repaired all the windows in my house, repaired my garage walls (they had weird holes), and painted everything. (I thought about painting my house to match my bike, but decided that was a bit too much.) I've also dug up my flower garden and am in the process of paving it so I have more room to work on my bikes and clean my wetsuit without needing a long hose. Next is fixing my fence and cutting up all the branches from last winter's tree trimming and donating to people who need help with firewood this winter. I'm checking off quite a few long-neglected projects on my list so I don't have to feel guilty about training all the time and ignoring chores. And several of my neighbors have stopped by so far to thank me, LOL. I guess my place was looking pretty neglected! I've also been harvesting fruits and vegetables from my small orchard and my very first garden! I'm preparing tons of precooked meals and filling my freezer so that when I get back into training, I don't have to worry about meals on long training nights. I can just pull something healthy out of the freezer, rather than resorting to pizza or something from the deli. I've even filled the freezer at work with a month's worth of soups for lunches and healthy snacks. It will be a lot easier for me to get back on track and stay there when I start back up in November, and a lot less stressful, too!

Sounds like you are extremely well organized! Wish I had half of that figured out, the food parts in particular!

2016-10-21 10:05 PM

User image

I'm still in training for my HM next month. Workouts are going well and I should be able to exceed my goal.
Miami man is coming up soon isn't it Chris?

Nate
2016-10-22 7:55 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin I'm still in training for my HM next month. Workouts are going well and I should be able to exceed my goal. Miami man is coming up soon isn't it Chris? Nate

November 13th.

I need to keep the swim/bike rolling for a few more weeks. Then a break until December, then run focused off-season.

2016-10-25 7:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Here are a few videos for the trainer if you are looking for something to do this winter. 

CTXC has a 30, 40, 45, 60, and 90 minute workout video. It is basically riding with a large group doing short intervals and recovery. The music is pretty good and the scenery somewhat interesting. They must be in Europe somewhere because they are riding on the left side of the road.

CTXC Trainer workouts

2016-10-28 7:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Hot Shot

Originally posted by rjchilds8 Has anyone either tried or know someone who has tried the Hot Shot product for cramps? I keep seeing ads for it, but I haven't talked to anyone that has actually used it. I'm curious if anyone has used or knows someone who has used this product. I've been thinking about buying some, but I went on their web site and they want $35 for a 6 pack! I'd buy a single one if I could, but I don't see that option. I didn't want to spend $35 on something that might not actually work as advertised. Wondering if anyone on the group has info to share. ;-)

some info over on ST.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Hotshot_-_article_share_and_questions_for_triathletes_P6123570/?page=unread#unread

2016-11-01 10:00 PM

User image

Subject: October totals
BIKE1h 00m - 18.50 Mi
RUN14h 31m 51s - 100.55 Mi -----> 8:40 pace

Biggest run month since I started being athletic again. Would have finished with more but the last week of October I had a crappy work schedule, and cut one run short because it was hot and I felt hungover. You know you are old when you feel the effect of 4 beers over several hours then next day. Oh well. Still think I put in some solid work and feel ready to beat my stated goal of 2:00:00 for my HM. Hope everyone had a nice Halloween!

Nate
2016-11-02 8:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: October totals

Your HM should be getting close, right?

One note about my swim. I've changed my stroke to gain more efficiency, keeping my glide hand forward until the stoke hand completes a full recovery. I've never really put much stock in my SWOLF numbers but it's been interesting. I was averaging around 35 at 1:35-1:40/100y (+/-)  pace in a 25 yard pool. My SWOLF would be 38 when I swam hard intervals losing efficiency. I assume that's to be expected to an extent. Now I'm averaging 32-33 SWOLF at around the same pace and pushing 35 for fast intervals. And so far it seems to be consistent in my longer distances. It's not comfortable yet when I swim slow for warm ups or CD. I tend to sink in the water and need to rotate more to get a breath. But it feels good at tempo. We'll see if I can stick to it on race day, lol.

My numbers are down considering I have a 70.3 this weekend. I had a good spill on the mountain bike at the first of the month and banged up my leg. Then we went camping/hiking/mtn biking for a week. So what numbers I have don't really reflect what I was doing. Like hiking up to a peak to check out the view. 

SWIM

6h 24m 41s - 19200.00 Yd
BIKE

14h 35m 19s - 211.03 Mi
RUN

10h 05m 32s - 62.69 Mi
SPORT

2h 59m

2016-11-03 7:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin BIKE1h 00m - 18.50 Mi RUN14h 31m 51s - 100.55 Mi -----> 8:40 pace Biggest run month since I started being athletic again. Would have finished with more but the last week of October I had a crappy work schedule, and cut one run short because it was hot and I felt hungover. You know you are old when you feel the effect of 4 beers over several hours then next day. Oh well. Still think I put in some solid work and feel ready to beat my stated goal of 2:00:00 for my HM. Hope everyone had a nice Halloween! Nate

Great job Nate! 100 Mile club!!

2016-11-03 1:45 PM
in reply to: #5201957

User image

11/13 Monty. Of Course I tweaked my back yesteady climbing the play gym at Chic Filet. Agghh. Couple days of rest should do the trick.

Thanks Chris. Had hoped for 1k for year, maybe next year.
2016-11-03 9:40 PM

User image

I backed off this month, especially after my half marathon. I haven't been to the pool since my last tri on 9/17. Now that the kids soccer season is coming to an end, my weekends should be a little more conducive to getting back in the water. I've started to pick my running back up a little, but my surgically repaired ankle doesn't seem like it has handled running very well since my HM. It hasn't hampered me a lot during the run, but it is fairly painful for a morning or two afterwards. I'm thinking of backing my distance down to nothing more than 4 miles for a little while and see how it does.

The bike legs seem like they're about completely gone. *sigh* I went for about 16.5 miles the other day and it felt like a struggle. I can't start over from scratch in the spring, so I hope to start getting back in the saddle a little more even if it means getting on the trainer (argh!).

Bike: 3h 38m 32s - 56.38 Mi
Run: 6h 59m 33s - 46.69 Mi
2016-11-03 9:40 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

BIKE1h 00m - 18.50 Mi
RUN14h 31m 51s - 100.55 Mi -----> 8:40 pace

Biggest run month since I started being athletic again. Would have finished with more but the last week of October I had a crappy work schedule, and cut one run short because it was hot and I felt hungover. You know you are old when you feel the effect of 4 beers over several hours then next day. Oh well. Still think I put in some solid work and feel ready to beat my stated goal of 2:00:00 for my HM. Hope everyone had a nice Halloween!

Nate

Good luck on the HM, Nate!
2016-11-07 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hope you had a nice race Monty free from hail, hurricane force wind and water unfit to swim in.

Edited by nrpoulin 2016-11-08 6:38 AM
2016-11-07 9:11 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: October totals
S: 0
B: 0
R: 0
Painting, scraping, sawing, nailing, digging, hauling, picking fruit, harvesting vegetables: 81 hours 45 minutes.

I took off all of October to work on my house, and I'm glad I did. I got a lot done, and my house looks great. And, I have to say I really enjoyed having my life back, even though I know I'll pay for it once I get back into training. I haven't ridden my bike or swam since my last tri at the beginning of September, and only one run a couple of weeks after that. I need to finish raking leaves--probably this weekend--and then I can get back into things. I'll start slowly, with the intention of building endurance until I get back into hard training after the first of the year.

However, I am concerned about my left foot. It's still giving me some grief from falling off the ladder in September. I'm thinking it's probably post-traumatic arthritis, but I haven't gone back to the doctor yet. Since it was initially a worker's comp claim, I'm not sure how to handle it. I'll have to talk with the HR office this week and see what they recommend.

2016-11-08 6:05 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

S: 8000y

B: 201 miles

R: 34 miles

Not a real good month for me. Now I have MiamiMan on Sunday and I was sick all weekend (missed work Monday). Still trying to recover and get things ready to head down on Friday. I need to get a swim and a short bike in tomorrow just to see how I feel. Expectations for this race are lowering.

Edited by Dominion 2016-11-08 6:06 AM
2016-11-08 6:40 AM

User image

Sounds like a great tapper. Kill it!
2016-11-08 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin Sounds like a great tapper. Kill it!

Thanks!

I like your "glass half full" viewpoint.

I reread my earlier post: Did I really so expectations are "lowering" ?

It was before any morning caffeine. "dropping....expectations are dropping:

2016-11-08 4:54 PM

User image

Subject: Trail race, part 2
Despite my nearly disastrous ankle sprain from my first trail race, I decided to give it another go. Like the first one, the race was literally a mile from our house, so how could I not? I jogged the mile to the race as a warmup. Even though it had a nearly identical starting location, the trails were completely different. There was still some running through fields that were basically just tamped down grass/hay and I was most nervous about that. I don't think I took my eyes off the ground the entire time and never looked more than about 10 feet in front of me! LOL Still, I probably had 3 or 4 instances where I stepped on something I couldn't see and there was a wobble in my ankles. Nothing serious or had an effect other than to cause a little tension.

The first mile had a lot of downhill sections and I cruised through it in a brisk 8:10. Much faster than I thought I'd go out, but not surprising with the downhill nature of that part of the course. A lot of the field was sorted out by then and I had settled into a steady pace and position. The second mile was the direct opposite, lots of uphill sections. Despite not really backing off my effort level, my split for mile 2 was 9:54! I was trying to keep track of how many times I was passed and I think I had lost maybe 10-12 spots in the 2nd half of mile 2.

Mile 3 was a mix of up and down hills. About half way through the 3rd mile, I noticed that I was slowly catching a couple people that had passed me even though I didn't feel like I was trying any harder. So I decided to try harder. LOL I passed those 2 people and decided to keep my pace up. Then I passed a couple more people. Rounding a corner toward the final stretch, I passed a woman I had kept in my sight almost the entire race. I passed 2 more people and noticed a group of 3 just ahead. At this point, I'm on the last 100-150 yards. I put the pedal down, passing them while running uphill. Just as I passed them, I saw one last guy I might be able to get to. I basically broke into a sprint over the last 50 feet and passed him about 2 feet before the finish line!

Overall, my time was 26:49. The race was advertised as a 5K, but my GPS watch said 3 miles. Funny thing is, the link to the race course was titled something like "a 3.15 mile train run", but the actual measured distance on MapMyRun for the course was 2.98! My time was good for 42nd overall and 3rd out of 16 in my age group (M40-49). No medals, but it was nice to finish "on the podium".
2016-11-13 8:05 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Trail race, part 2
Congrats on the Podium spot Randy. Well earned.

2016-11-13 8:42 PM

User image

Subject: OBX HM
Here is the link to my race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?... The summary is 1:50:20. 190 of 1976, 21 of 86 for AG.

For me I think today was the perfect conditions. Friday and Saturday were cold and windy. The wind died down and Sunday morning was in the high 40's low 50's come race time. There was a little cross/tail wind. I started in group B. I had set my goal as being under 2 hours, but seeded myself at 1:55. I had 3 10 mile runs at 8:33-8:34 pace and thought that if things went perfect I could hold that pace for 10 but I really started to trail toward the end of those training runs. My plan was to go out at 8:45 for the first 4-5 miles and then see how I felt, and then gas it if I had anything left at 10 miles.

I was in the back middle of my coral. It was a slow start and I really focused on not getting to excited and start weaving thru people. My first 4 felt really comfortable 8:38, 8:29, 8:38, 8:35. I grabbed a sip of water or Gatorade at all stops and took a Gu at 4.5. Picked it up a little but still held some back. My foot started bothering me around 5 but by 7.5 it felt better. Overall legs felt really good thru 8 but started to feel a little wear. Mile 10 ended at the top of the bridge to Manteo island which was the only significant elevation gain. I cruised up pretty easy and lengthened my stride on the half mile decent and tried to keep pressure on. My last 3.1 splits were 7:56, 8:14, 8:13, and 6:52 pace for that last 0.2. Had hoped to have a little more gas left. I hit 13 and started my kick. I looked at my watch and thought I could get in under 1:50 but that last .1 was .2 and I missed it.

This was a better race that I expected and think the weather and low wind really helped that. HM 1:50:20 which is a 8:25 pace. My wife also ran her first ever race. She did the HM in 2:03:39 also beating her goal. I measured the course at 13.2 and ran the shortest possible distances, my wifes GPS had it at 13.29. So probably a little long too!
2016-11-15 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin Hope you had a nice race Monty free from hail, hurricane force wind and water unfit to swim in.

Haha! Thanks, Nate!  The storms held off until that evening. It was the perfect race day!

I didn't do as good on the swim and bike as I hoped but I trimmed off 14 +/- minutes off the run. I ended up with a finish time of 5:48:58. Only three minutes fast than 2012 but I dropped from 37% to 25% overall so I'm happy! The run was on golf cart paths and local roads (all concrete). We were spread out enough but the path was VERY sloped in areas and broken up. They did a good job of marking but it was a constant effort to watch where your foot was landing.

Congrats on the podium, Randy!! I always seem to have something hurting then it goes away. Weird! 

Congrats on your first HM, Nate! Under 2 hrs! Well done. And congrats to your wife!

2016-11-15 8:14 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Top 25%. Very nice. Running on concrete is a battle by its self. So much less give than asphalt. How did your shins feel after?
Whats next?

Really proud of my wife. First race and she picks a HM. Who does that? and she killed it!

Nate
2016-11-15 9:24 PM

User image

Subject: RE: OBX HM
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Here is the link to my race report http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?... The summary is 1:50:20. 190 of 1976, 21 of 86 for AG.

This was a better race that I expected and think the weather and low wind really helped that. HM 1:50:20 which is a 8:25 pace. My wife also ran her first ever race. She did the HM in 2:03:39 also beating her goal. I measured the course at 13.2 and ran the shortest possible distances, my wifes GPS had it at 13.29. So probably a little long too!

Great job, Nate! Looks like you were sandbagging on that "under 2 hours" estimate! LOL Congrats to you and your wife on your first HM!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22381 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.