BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-11-16 6:24 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: RE: OBX HM
Thank you Randy. I found it tough to estimate a pace having never run that far. I had maintained a similar pace for 6 miles and really thought the best I could do would be a 1:55. I think the race conditions were perfect for me. I run significantly slow when the temps hits 70 and the pace falls fast as the temp rises. Of course this makes the next race harder.

Wanted to run last night but work got the best of me. Hope to keep the gains I made this season into next season and will try to have a more diversified race schedule. Thought about mixing in speed work starting in December. I didn't run a single interval this year.

What is everyone else doing for the off season.

Nate

2016-11-16 8:07 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: OBX HM

Originally posted by nrpoulin Thank you Randy. I found it tough to estimate a pace having never run that far. I had maintained a similar pace for 6 miles and really thought the best I could do would be a 1:55. I think the race conditions were perfect for me. I run significantly slow when the temps hits 70 and the pace falls fast as the temp rises. Of course this makes the next race harder. Wanted to run last night but work got the best of me. Hope to keep the gains I made this season into next season and will try to have a more diversified race schedule. Thought about mixing in speed work starting in December. I didn't run a single interval this year. What is everyone else doing for the off season. Nate

Great Race! Sounds like you crushed it!

Be careful with the speed work. I'm not saying don't do it, just be careful. It is easy to tweak a hamstring or anything else when running hard. Make sure to get a proper warm up. A pulled hamstring or calf muscle can set you back weeks or months.

2016-11-16 8:09 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!!

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Originally posted by nrpoulin Hope you had a nice race Monty free from hail, hurricane force wind and water unfit to swim in.

Haha! Thanks, Nate!  The storms held off until that evening. It was the perfect race day!

I didn't do as good on the swim and bike as I hoped but I trimmed off 14 +/- minutes off the run. I ended up with a finish time of 5:48:58. Only three minutes fast than 2012 but I dropped from 37% to 25% overall so I'm happy! The run was on golf cart paths and local roads (all concrete). We were spread out enough but the path was VERY sloped in areas and broken up. They did a good job of marking but it was a constant effort to watch where your foot was landing.

Congrats on the podium, Randy!! I always seem to have something hurting then it goes away. Weird! 

Congrats on your first HM, Nate! Under 2 hrs! Well done. And congrats to your wife!

Nice job shaving 14 minutes off the run. That is insane! Wow!

2016-11-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Miami

I had a good weekend in Miami.

I'll have a full race report on the blog in a few days, still waiting for the official race photos to come out.

Short version:

Finished mid pack in the AG. 12th out of 25 registered. I think only 20 actually raced though. Need to check final results. My times were solid and happy with them considering I was sick all week leading up to the race. Really expected my times to put me a little higher in the standings, but it was a world qualifier race with 42 states represented. There were 256 total in the aquabike, I was 96 overall (preliminary results).

Swim was decent at 37:44  - decent but expected better considering how good training was going. I think being sick affected swim more so than bike.

Bike: 2:31:02 for a 21.5 average. Bike was 2 miles short, so only 54 miles. On a true 56 mile course that would put me just under a 2:37. Was hoping to bike 2:40 so pleased there.

My brother Will biked an amazing 2:14:35 and made the National Championship podium with a 3rd place in 40-44.

Edited by Dominion 2016-11-16 8:20 AM
2016-11-17 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin Top 25%. Very nice. Running on concrete is a battle by its self. So much less give than asphalt. How did your shins feel after? Whats next? Really proud of my wife. First race and she picks a HM. Who does that? and she killed it! Nate

The bottoms of my feet were in complete agony the last half of the run!! 

I have my second full distance triathlon on May 21st. It's not an Ironman event but a local tri company in Fort Worth. They host several races a year but this is their first full. I'll start building my base on Jan 1st. I've selected a shorter plan in terms a weeks but the workouts are tougher actually giving you HR, time, and distance goals. Until then it's back in the gym for some much needed strength training. 

2016-11-17 6:21 PM
in reply to: #5158713

User image

Nice Job Chris. That's pretty fast for both of you

2016-11-17 8:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Thanks.

My full race report is now available at the blog link.

Thanks for reading!

2016-11-24 5:15 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by Dominion

Thanks.

My full race report is now available at the blog link.

Thanks for reading!

Good job, Chris!  I wish there was a "like" button on BT Forum.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

2016-12-01 12:29 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: November totals
S: 0
B: 152.68 miles
R: 25.38 miles

At the beginning of November, I went back to the doctor for a follow-up on my L&I claim, and they decided that I HAD broken my foot when I fell off that ladder in September, after all. So, I spent three weeks with my foot in a boot, unable to do much. After a couple of weeks, I was able to start riding my bike again, and then on Thanksgiving, I started walking on the treadmill. I got tired of wearing that silly boot last Saturday, took it off, and went out for a walk on the only sunny day we’ve had all month. I’m glad I did! My foot wasn’t giving me any grief at that point, so over the next couple of nights, I eased into fast walking, then jogging, and tonight, my first real run in almost three months. I’m out of shape, but I’m working back into it. I’m sure I’ll be back up to speed by the end of the year, and the doc’s cleared me for return to full activities. So, I got a few miles in on the bike and “running” this month, but I still haven’t hit the pool yet since the end of tri season. I’ll renew my pool pass tomorrow and start hitting it a couple of times a week. Of course, I’ll be out of shape there, too, but I should be back up to speed by the end of the year.

I had my eye on a treadmills and was hoping to pick up a good deal on Black Friday, but the day before Thanksgiving, I found one listed on Facebook for $100. I did some research and found out the retail price on it had been $1700! The thing had been listed for two weeks already, but no interest. I hopped in my truck, drove down to Spokane to take a look at it, and bought it. The woman who owned it had had it for a couple of years and put only one mile on it. The person who owned it previously had also had it for a couple of years, and she put less than two miles on it. It was pretty much like new! And it is huge! It took four of us to get it out of her house and loaded into the back of my truck, and then when I got home, I had to post a plea for help unloading it on Facebook. Fortunately, some friends came over, and we got it done. Now I have this fabulous gym-quality treadmill to run on this winter. It’s amazing! It has all kinds of pre-programmed runs, electronic incline, built-in speakers, etc. I pretty much have a full gym in my living room now. The only thing I’m missing is a swim spa, but that will take some serious remodeling first!

Good job on your races, everybody. I've kind of been lurking in the group since I haven't been doing any training or racing myself, so nothing to update. I'm thinking about signing up for my first half marathon in April, but I don't have anything planned before then. I can get lots of practice in on my treadmill! Also, has anybody used the RunSocial app for your treadmill runs? I started using it last year, and it's kind of fun, virtually running with other people from all over the world. I was going to get the tracker for my treadmill so it would automatically update my speed in the app, but my iPad is too old, so it looks like time for a new one. Always something needing upgrading!
2016-12-01 8:44 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: November totals

Glad you up and moving well again.

Great deal on that treadmill. So many people buy a treadmill and then never use it. Great find!

-------------

November was pretty unstructured for me training wise. Running was almost non-existent but that changes for December. Time to start my winter run build for 2017!

S: 6012 y

B: 147 miles

R: 15 miles

2016-12-01 10:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: November totals

Not much here either after my race this month. Getting back into the gym for some much needed muscle correction and strength training. January I start base work again to prep for my next training plan.

SWIM

1h 17m 58s - 4312.00 Yd
BIKE

4h 06m 20s - 73.99 Mi
RUN

3h 20m 06s - 21.16 Mi
STRENGTH

4h 00m

2016-12-03 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Local 5k Experience

I had a strange experience at a local race last night and thought I would share.

It was a local 5k, small race, maybe 100-120 total runners. It's the 5th year for this race so it's not brand new. The same RD has run it since its inception. 

It's a night race that is part of our 1st Friday downtown celebration. 

So I am having a pretty good run, and there is one out and back section with just under a mile to go where you can see the other competitors and can get a feel for where you are overall. Remember that it is dark, but I think I am able to count that I am in 7th place. I push hard that final mile and am able to overtake 2 more runners and come across the line in what I think is 5th place. 

45 minutes later at the awards ceremony, they start with age groups before announcing overall and masters awards. Now this race only awards top 2 overall and top 2 in each age group (male and female) as well as only 1st place male and female masters. When they get to 40-49 they don't call my name, so I think cool, I must have gotten masters. After Age group they announce overall winner and then for 2nd place overall they call my name!  I'm shocked but they called my name so I go up there but I know something is not right. The guy is congratulating me and we have to pose for a picture with the local soccer team, yada yada, and I  was pretty much in shock trying to figure out in my head what is going on. They probably were wondering why I had the strange look on my face the whole time instead of being happy about  the award. So after I go off to the side and talk to my wife, trying to figure out what is going on while they finish up with female overall and the masters awards. 

After they finish I walk back up to the table to talk to the RD about it. He is speaking with someone else so as I wait I see the print out on the table of the finishers and finishing times. I pick it up and see myself listed as 4th. Now I was pretty sure I was 5th but maybe there was a DQ or maybe somebody's chip didn't register, I don't know, but I know I wasn't 2nd! Finally I get to the RD and explain that something is wrong, because they called me for 2nd overall. We get the sheets and start comparing everything and he says you are right!

Here's what happened: 1st overall got 1st (hard to mess that one up.) 2nd overall across the line was a gentleman over 50 years old. For some reason they gave him 1st masters instead of 2nd overall. 3rd overall was a teenage kid. They gave him first in his age group. I was 4th and they gave me 2nd overall??!!? It's the craziest foul up at an awards ceremony I have ever seen. I tried to explain that typically overall placement trumps all other categories, both age group and masters. I explained that normally the 50+ guy should have been awarded 2nd overall not masters. And I have no idea why they just skipped over the teenager in the overall placement to get to me. I handed in my 2nd place overall medal and told them to give it to who it belonged to. They said they would get it straightened out and be in touch with me. 

So I have no idea what went on when they were prepping the data for the awards but I it was weird all the way around. Hopefully they get it straight and I end up with 1st  masters and the guy that got 1st masters is moved up to 2nd overall. It is a small local race that I like to support but this is ridiculous. Has anybody ever had such an experience?

Edited by Dominion 2016-12-03 8:18 AM
2016-12-08 9:06 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Subject: Clipless pedals
OK, giving strong consideration to finally joining the club and getting clipless pedals. Suggestions/recommendations for decent, relatively inexpensive brand/model? Go!

Oh, yeah, and shoes!

Edited by rjchilds8 2016-12-08 9:06 PM
2016-12-09 7:32 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Clipless pedals

Clipless pedals are a worthwhile upgrade. I would go with Shimano. They are pretty inexpensive and a quality brand name. People pay more for the speedplay and some other types of pedals, but I don't see how the extra money is worth it. I have Shimano 105 on the Shiv. They will run you about $70.

But I've had these, Shimano Road Pedal  on my road bike for the past 2 years with Zero issues. They are great as well. You can't beat $35. The upper level Shimano Ultegra will run you about $100 and Dura-Ace about $150. 

As for shoes, I would not go cheap. I have a pair of mid level Shimano shoes that are OK, but I love the Pearl Izumi Tri-Fly's. They are a little pricey but have held up for the last 4 seasons and still look like new when cleaned. The velcro strap is great for quick donning and doffing. Make sure to get a velcro strap and not a buckle/ratchet style enclosure. 

2016-12-09 2:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Local 5k Experience

I had a strange experience at a local race last night and thought I would share.

It was a local 5k, small race, maybe 100-120 total runners. It's the 5th year for this race so it's not brand new. The same RD has run it since its inception. 

It's a night race that is part of our 1st Friday downtown celebration. 

So I am having a pretty good run, and there is one out and back section with just under a mile to go where you can see the other competitors and can get a feel for where you are overall. Remember that it is dark, but I think I am able to count that I am in 7th place. I push hard that final mile and am able to overtake 2 more runners and come across the line in what I think is 5th place. 

45 minutes later at the awards ceremony, they start with age groups before announcing overall and masters awards. Now this race only awards top 2 overall and top 2 in each age group (male and female) as well as only 1st place male and female masters. When they get to 40-49 they don't call my name, so I think cool, I must have gotten masters. After Age group they announce overall winner and then for 2nd place overall they call my name!  I'm shocked but they called my name so I go up there but I know something is not right. The guy is congratulating me and we have to pose for a picture with the local soccer team, yada yada, and I  was pretty much in shock trying to figure out in my head what is going on. They probably were wondering why I had the strange look on my face the whole time instead of being happy about  the award. So after I go off to the side and talk to my wife, trying to figure out what is going on while they finish up with female overall and the masters awards. 

After they finish I walk back up to the table to talk to the RD about it. He is speaking with someone else so as I wait I see the print out on the table of the finishers and finishing times. I pick it up and see myself listed as 4th. Now I was pretty sure I was 5th but maybe there was a DQ or maybe somebody's chip didn't register, I don't know, but I know I wasn't 2nd! Finally I get to the RD and explain that something is wrong, because they called me for 2nd overall. We get the sheets and start comparing everything and he says you are right!

Here's what happened: 1st overall got 1st (hard to mess that one up.) 2nd overall across the line was a gentleman over 50 years old. For some reason they gave him 1st masters instead of 2nd overall. 3rd overall was a teenage kid. They gave him first in his age group. I was 4th and they gave me 2nd overall??!!? It's the craziest foul up at an awards ceremony I have ever seen. I tried to explain that typically overall placement trumps all other categories, both age group and masters. I explained that normally the 50+ guy should have been awarded 2nd overall not masters. And I have no idea why they just skipped over the teenager in the overall placement to get to me. I handed in my 2nd place overall medal and told them to give it to who it belonged to. They said they would get it straightened out and be in touch with me. 

So I have no idea what went on when they were prepping the data for the awards but I it was weird all the way around. Hopefully they get it straight and I end up with 1st  masters and the guy that got 1st masters is moved up to 2nd overall. It is a small local race that I like to support but this is ridiculous. Has anybody ever had such an experience?

So I don't know if anybody read this but it keeps getting stranger. After saying they would contact me on Monday (last) an entire week has gone by and nothing. Finally I emailed them back today asking for any updates. Then this afternoon I get a call. They "confirmed" that I got 2nd overall. Now this caught me off guard. I was hoping they would get it straight. The girl said they "did some research"...whatever that means. I said OK but after getting off the phone it is still bothering me. She is supposed to bring the 2nd place medal back to me on Tuesday. I think I'm going to email and just tell them not to bother. I don't want it, wouldn't feel right accepting or having it. None of this makes sense, 4th place can not be 2nd place!!! You can not receive an overall award higher than what you actually crossed the line in.

She said that indeed the 2nd guy across the line was given Masters 1st and 3rd overall was "happy" with his age group award. Well, you don't get to pick what award you want is what I should have told her. IF they want to go with the Masters 1st trumps 2nd overall, then fine, I think that is wrong, but in that case the 3rd place kid gets 2nd overall, not me. That's just how it is. You can't have it both ways. 

Edited by Dominion 2016-12-09 2:17 PM
2016-12-09 7:49 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Local 5k Experience

So I don't know if anybody read this but it keeps getting stranger. After saying they would contact me on Monday (last) an entire week has gone by and nothing. Finally I emailed them back today asking for any updates. Then this afternoon I get a call. They "confirmed" that I got 2nd overall. Now this caught me off guard. I was hoping they would get it straight. The girl said they "did some research"...whatever that means. I said OK but after getting off the phone it is still bothering me. She is supposed to bring the 2nd place medal back to me on Tuesday. I think I'm going to email and just tell them not to bother. I don't want it, wouldn't feel right accepting or having it. None of this makes sense, 4th place can not be 2nd place!!! You can not receive an overall award higher than what you actually crossed the line in.

She said that indeed the 2nd guy across the line was given Masters 1st and 3rd overall was "happy" with his age group award. Well, you don't get to pick what award you want is what I should have told her. IF they want to go with the Masters 1st trumps 2nd overall, then fine, I think that is wrong, but in that case the 3rd place kid gets 2nd overall, not me. That's just how it is. You can't have it both ways. 

I did read through your post. I agree it does seem strange and doesn't seem right to give you 2nd overall when you actually came in 4th. I'm struggling to understand why the guy would want Masters 1st rather than 2nd overall. I guess just having "1st" in anything is better in his mind than 2nd overall? Of course, I've never been close enough to the front of the pack to have these problems! LOL I was disappointed this year when I finished 3rd in my AG for my 10K and didn't get a medal. It's the RRCA-VT State Masters' Championships race, you'd think they'd give out medals to the top 3 finishers by AG. No such luck for me.

2016-12-09 7:53 PM

User image

Clipless pedals are a worthwhile upgrade. I would go with Shimano. They are pretty inexpensive and a quality brand name. People pay more for the speedplay and some other types of pedals, but I don't see how the extra money is worth it. I have Shimano 105 on the Shiv. They will run you about $70.

But I've had these, Shimano Road Pedal  on my road bike for the past 2 years with Zero issues. They are great as well. You can't beat $35. The upper level Shimano Ultegra will run you about $100 and Dura-Ace about $150. 

As for shoes, I would not go cheap. I have a pair of mid level Shimano shoes that are OK, but I love the Pearl Izumi Tri-Fly's. They are a little pricey but have held up for the last 4 seasons and still look like new when cleaned. The velcro strap is great for quick donning and doffing. Make sure to get a velcro strap and not a buckle/ratchet style enclosure. 

Thanks for the suggestions, Chris. I'm OK with $35 for the pedals. ;-) I'll have to see what they have for options at my LBS and check to see if they'll let me buy my own and have them "install" them. Or did you do that yourself? In terms of the shoes, from what I'm seeing for prices on those Pearl Izumi Tri-Fly's, I wouldn't have called them pricey. I figured I would have been looking at $200+ for the shoes. But I see those for as little as $60 on SwimOutlet.com. Same question as with the pedals. Did you make adjustments to the shoes yourself or did you go to your LBS to be fitted?
2016-12-09 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

When I bought my Tri-Fly's they were around $120. It does look like you can pick them up cheaper now. They may be last year's model or something, but that shouldn't be an issue, they are great shoes. 

I think the bike shop has installed my pedals each time. I just brought them the pedals to install when I purchased each bike, so it was never an issue since I was actually buying a bike from them (but not pedals). If you buy from your bike shop, they most likely (at least around here) would install them for you at no extra charge. It's not a big job if you have the tools.

Edited by Dominion 2016-12-09 8:34 PM
2016-12-24 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

It looks like the new 2017 mentor groups are being prepared. I'm happy to set up again and keep this thing rolling. Do you guys want to keep the group together? Who is in for another round? 

2016-12-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: #5158713

User image

New user
Watford
I'd like to keep it going, if possible. It's a great group.
2016-12-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: #5208050

User image

New user
I'm in for another round, looking forward to it.

2016-12-24 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I'm in and out but will still be around. Good group.

2016-12-28 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

The new group thread in in the mentor staging area and ready to go whenever they release it to go live.

I named it "The Dominion".

Of course all are welcome to join back up and hopefully we will add a few new and active members.

Let's make 2017 a great year!

2016-12-30 1:04 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
I'm in for 2017! After living in the mountains for the past SEVEN YEARS now, we FINALLY got significant snow! I've been having fun hitting the ski trails every opportunity I can get. Today was swim/bike/ski! And breaking trails for dog sledding! Cross country skiing is one of the best workouts anyone can do.
2016-12-30 6:05 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 I'm in for 2017! After living in the mountains for the past SEVEN YEARS now, we FINALLY got significant snow! I've been having fun hitting the ski trails every opportunity I can get. Today was swim/bike/ski! And breaking trails for dog sledding! Cross country skiing is one of the best workouts anyone can do.

I've heard that about skiing. Not much opportunity where I am though. Some cross-country skiing would be great off season workouts.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22391 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.