BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-02-01 1:10 PM
in reply to: spoon84

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - OPEN

Welcome to the group Stefano!

July is plenty of time to get ready for a Sprint race.

Hope you are over your illness and feeling better!

2016-02-01 1:16 PM
in reply to: nsteiner

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nsteiner Hi, I am interested in the mentoring program. I am a tri newbie but have my heart set on completing 3-4 sprints and 1 olympic distance triathlon this season. The first one would be in April and they are all in the UK. Sadly, I am currently injured (hip tendon) after a HM in October. Because I am not naturally a running, I thought cycling and swimming would be fun to keep my cardio up which naturally led me to look into doing a triathlon. Because I am completely new to this, all help and advice would be much appreciated. Especially in relation to getting faster on the bike :-(

Welcome nsteiner.

Sorry to hear about your injury. Are you able to run any at the present?

Ask any questions you may have and we'll do our best to give the answers. The first key to getting faster on the bike is just get out there and put in a lot of miles.

What kind of bike do you ? How much are you riding currently?

2016-02-01 1:17 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: January Monthly Totals

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I got my training started back up in a big way in January. My training has been very run heavy, mainly because I can (usually) only ride on my trainer which I hate. My run volume is higher than I've ever done in a month. Swim volume is pretty good for me, could have been a little higher, but not bad for January. Swim: 3h 18m 37s - 8550 M Bike: 3h 41m 34s - 15 Mi (only one outdoor ride, the rest is time on the trainer) Run: 8h 42m 38s - 56 Mi I'll probably have to back off the running volume a little bit and pick up my cycling time. But I totaled 21 workouts in the month, which I think is as much as I did in the peak of my training last year. I hope I can keep that momentum going through the rest of the winter and into spring.

Nice job Randy!

How many miles total on the bike? Do you keep up with trainer miles or just measure it by time?

2016-02-01 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

January Totals:

S: 12,250 y

B: 137 miles (all trainer) **pretty low totals but that should change once my HM is out of the way this weekend.

R: 80 miles **goal was 90 but last long run got squashed with rain/thunderstorms and temps in high 30's last week

2016-02-01 8:54 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Dominion

Nice job Randy!

How many miles total on the bike? Do you keep up with trainer miles or just measure it by time?

I have my old road bike permanently on my bike trainer. I moved the magnet and sensor from my bike computer to the rear wheel. I'm assuming, since it just counts revolutions, that the distance must be just as accurate as it is if I was riding outside. What do you think, does that make sense? On the road, that computer seems pretty accurate. I had mostly only been capturing the time I spent on the trainer, but based on my bike computer my total miles (trainer and my ride yesterday) were only 52.9. Very low mileage, but I'm starting to build it. My first 2 trainer sessions averaged less than 40 minutes. My last one was 50 minutes and I'm trying to get up to an hour each.

I really slacked off after my tri season was over. Between football, still having running races to do, yard work, etc. etc., I just didn't keep up. I can't let that happen this year. I have to maintain as much of my bike strength and fitness as I can over the winter. I've "retired" from football, so that will make it easier to stay focused on my triathlon training. As I transition from warmer weather to colder weather this fall, I'll do my best to maintain my riding volume even when I have to bring it inside. It might be easier to get myself onto the trainer if I haven't let my bike fitness lapse.
2016-02-01 10:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8

Originally posted by nrpoulin

January was a good training month. I think volume wise it was certainly the best I can remember for a long time. I think I set a new PR in a 400 yard swim trial of 6:15, and on a brick did a 5K under 8 min mile which is great for me. My first race is March 12th and this will be the second time running this race. It was my first tri 3 years ago, so its a little special and gets a really good turnout for a sprint.

swim 3h 20m 13s - 11100.00 Yd
bike 9h 50m - 169.96 Mi
run 9h 54m 39s - 68.15 Mi

As for the weight stuff, I'm also hanging at 195. I typically get to 185 at peak training, but I hope to get below 180 this year. Gonna do more core work which I should be doing anyway

Nate

Sounds like you're making some great gains! Fantastic pace for a brick run! Weren't you having some troubles with your run last year? Or at least disappointed with the results? You must have felt tired but extremely happy after that brick.

Was extremely happy with that brick. Fast and longer than any brick run last year. Finally got the foot problem sorted out (knock on wood), and really built up a base in the off season. I think I lost a lot skipping out on the long run each week. Only time will tell.

Awesome to see so many new names. Welcome to everyone

2016-02-01 10:48 PM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

January was a good training month. I think volume wise it was certainly the best I can remember for a long time. I think I set a new PR in a 400 yard swim trial of 6:15, and on a brick did a 5K under 8 min mile which is great for me. My first race is March 12th and this will be the second time running this race. It was my first tri 3 years ago, so its a little special and gets a really good turnout for a sprint.

swim 3h 20m 13s - 11100.00 Yd
bike 9h 50m - 169.96 Mi
run 9h 54m 39s - 68.15 Mi

As for the weight stuff, I'm also hanging at 195. I typically get to 185 at peak training, but I hope to get below 180 this year. Gonna do more core work which I should be doing anyway

Nate

Sounds like you're making some great gains! Fantastic pace for a brick run! Weren't you having some troubles with your run last year? Or at least disappointed with the results? You must have felt tired but extremely happy after that brick.

Was extremely happy with that brick. Fast and longer than any brick run last year. Finally got the foot problem sorted out (knock on wood), and really built up a base in the off season. I think I lost a lot skipping out on the long run each week. Only time will tell.

Awesome to see so many new names. Welcome to everyone
2016-02-01 10:54 PM
in reply to: spoon84

User image

Originally posted by spoon84

Hello,

I would like to join this group.

I'm new on TRI, my goal is to get fit but also to start approaching this sport which i consider very beautiful and fascinating. I'm 31 years old and i live in Switzerland (Lugano), I'm an Air Traffico Controller, married with one little kid of two years old. Usually I got about 6-8 hours per week to train but it depends a lot on my shifts at work and of course my private life, but generally i can keep this amount constant.

I started alone since october to get km under my feet and bike, than started swimming with the help of some colleagues but my goal is to finish a Triathlon Sprint in July in Zurich (23rd July) and than maybe try another Sprint (or Olympic) in September (3rd) in Locarno. For planning I used the guides here in the beginner triathlete.com and keep them adjusted base on my schedule!

I'm 1.80 x 78 kg and I also would like to partecipate to a 10k in May and half marathon in August. Before Triathlon I was doing Ice Hockey but only amateur level, sometimes I played Soccer and also going with Bike but not a lot.

That are my training log by month:

NOV:
BIKE - 53,37 km
RUB - 32.56

DIC:
SWIM - 5720 m
BIKE - 88.37
RUN - 29,74

JAN:
SWIM - 2000m
BIKE - 17.76 km
RUN - 34.00 KM

In JAN I had difficulties the first two weeks due to a gastroflu and than the last week as well I was at home sick with fever, so my log is empty :-(

Hope I can get a lot of suggested stuff from all of you and enjoy triathlon as much as possible :-)

Cheers!
Stefano

Hope u are feeling better. My only advice at this point would be don't try to make up those lost miles when you get healthy. Build your volume slowly and according to your plan. Trust your plan. The BT programs are a good start and will generally keep you from over doing it.

Nate
2016-02-02 3:51 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

Good advice, in fact I'm back work today and i was ready (in my mind) to start running, but still got the nose block and maybe it's better to wait some more days in order to recover completely.

Just an advice? Would you start from the exercise which I missed last week or continue with the planned schedule?

Thanks
2016-02-02 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Randy, 

yes that is what i do also. I have my old bike permanently on the trainer and have a bike computer running to the rear wheel. As long as the rear wheel and front are the same size, it's is just like being on the front wheel while on the road.

2016-02-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by spoon84 Good advice, in fact I'm back work today and i was ready (in my mind) to start running, but still got the nose block and maybe it's better to wait some more days in order to recover completely. Just an advice? Would you start from the exercise which I missed last week or continue with the planned schedule? Thanks

That kind of depends on what the next week of workouts call for. If it's a week with notable progression you may need to go back a week or two and ease back into it. It also depends how far out your race or goal event is. If you have the time to go back and start where you left off that would be preferable, but if you are on say a 16 week plan and you started when your race was 16 weeks out, then you will need to try to catch up at some point, but catching up right after a full week off due to injury may not be the best option. You might could skip a week somewhere down the line to catch up once you are back into regular training. Make sense?

Edited by Dominion 2016-02-02 2:40 PM

2016-02-02 4:47 PM
in reply to: #5158713

I've had an awful time of it lately. We got back from vacation mid-January, and I got training time in on 8 of 11 days. I even schlepped both kids to the Y with me while my husband studied, worked out while they played in the playroom, and took them swimming after which they loved. We were going to make that a weekly occurrence, and then everyone in my house got this awful cough/cold that we've all had ever since. It's been a week and a half, and none of us can take a deep breath without sounding like we have TB. It seems like this happens every time I start getting into a good rhythm, and it's beyond frustrating. There aren't any races here for months so it isn't a big deal, but it's just hard to lay around for so long:
2016-02-03 6:56 AM
in reply to: #5165000

User image

Those disruptionsame and changes in your schedule are really disappointing and make it hard to for the health habit and see change. Only a few more weeks of crud season though. Keep plowing thru!
2016-02-03 8:21 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Hey guys!  I'm looking forward to another year!  Looks like some of you are already ramping up your training!  Right on!  Here's my updated info:

NAME: Monty / HelmoAlkou

STORY:  Swimming background, childhood into early 30's; Started running for weight loss in my early 40's (dropped 45 lbs.); Picked up cycling to do triathlon in mid 40's; Turning 50 this June!

FAMILY STATUS:  Married 22 years, my son is 21, and my daughter is 18.

WORK: I'm a power plant operator so lots of shift work. My normal shift is seven days on then seven days off, rinse and repeat.  So yeah, I work every other week. But it's 12 hour days which makes consistency difficult.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Four weeks into the 20 week Full Ironman plan on BT.

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3, and TriWaco Olympic course.  Filled the rest of year with misc runs/rides for fun.

2016 RACES:  Ironman Texas 140.6 North American Championship on May 14th.  After that I'll look into others.

GOALS:  Finish my first 140.6 this year.  Stay injury free!  Keep nutrition in check while training.

PLAY (no specific order): Triathlon, mtn biking, fishing, kayaking, hiking, camping, backpacking, home brewing, computer builds, empty nester, skiing

JAN TOTALS:

Swim: 6h 52m 

Bike: 19h 37m 

Run: 9h 10m

Strength: 8h 40m

Other Sport: 5h 45m

2016-02-03 5:26 PM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by MMW37 I've had an awful time of it lately. We got back from vacation mid-January, and I got training time in on 8 of 11 days. I even schlepped both kids to the Y with me while my husband studied, worked out while they played in the playroom, and took them swimming after which they loved. We were going to make that a weekly occurrence, and then everyone in my house got this awful cough/cold that we've all had ever since. It's been a week and a half, and none of us can take a deep breath without sounding like we have TB. It seems like this happens every time I start getting into a good rhythm, and it's beyond frustrating. There aren't any races here for months so it isn't a big deal, but it's just hard to lay around for so long:

I feel your pain. It never fails that I get sick every year either in January or February. So far so good this year though (knock on wood). My wife has it currently though. Went to the doctor yesterday and told her she has the flu. I've been sleeping in the spare bedroom for the last 3 nights! 

2016-02-03 7:09 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome back Monty!

Great to have you around for another season!!

2016-02-04 1:08 PM

User image

Subject: Wetsuit considerations
I haven't made up my mind just yet, but I have been considering buying a wetsuit. I have resisted for my first two years in triathlon. In part, I feel like I should be able to handle the swim without relying on the benefits of a wetsuit. But as I think about it, it also means that I'm putting myself at a competitive disadvantage. Now, I haven't challenged for or even sniffed a podium spot, so it isn't like saving two minutes on an Olympic swim is going to make or break my race. But I'm not only thinking about my time on the swim, but also the effort it takes. I just wonder if I'd come out of the water with a little more energy in the tank if I wore a wetsuit.

So I haven't officially decided to buy one yet, but I'm reconsidering my earlier stance against wearing one. If I did buy one, I think I'd have to go with a sleeveless model since I already have some pre-existing shoulder issues and I wouldn't want the wetsuit to make things any worse. I was curious what kinds of things I should take into consideration when choosing between models. Does anyone have any wetsuit buying advice? Features that I should be concerned about or consider?
2016-02-05 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Wetsuit considerations

Originally posted by rjchilds8 I haven't made up my mind just yet, but I have been considering buying a wetsuit. I have resisted for my first two years in triathlon. In part, I feel like I should be able to handle the swim without relying on the benefits of a wetsuit. But as I think about it, it also means that I'm putting myself at a competitive disadvantage. Now, I haven't challenged for or even sniffed a podium spot, so it isn't like saving two minutes on an Olympic swim is going to make or break my race. But I'm not only thinking about my time on the swim, but also the effort it takes. I just wonder if I'd come out of the water with a little more energy in the tank if I wore a wetsuit. So I haven't officially decided to buy one yet, but I'm reconsidering my earlier stance against wearing one. If I did buy one, I think I'd have to go with a sleeveless model since I already have some pre-existing shoulder issues and I wouldn't want the wetsuit to make things any worse. I was curious what kinds of things I should take into consideration when choosing between models. Does anyone have any wetsuit buying advice? Features that I should be concerned about or consider?

My wet suit advice would be the following.

First off all, get one. You need one for colder swims and it will improve your performance.

Now the question of which one. You can spend anywhere from $100 to well over $1000. I'm of the belief that guys like me and you (average swimmers) won't gain a great deal of benefit from the higher priced suits. We just aren't good enough to maximize it's potential if that makes sense. I think an entry level suit will do everything you need it to. No need to spend more money unless you just want to.

I also went with the sleeveless for my first suit and have considered adding a full sleeve but haven't yet. I went sleeveless because of concern over shoulder mobility and the ease and quickness of getting a sleeveless off in T1 vs. a sleeved. I felt like I could get away with a sleeveless because I only use it once or twice a year and even then it is in races where the water temps are at or near the 78 degree cutoff. In your case where you may have the occasion to swim in much colder water, a full sleeve may be a better option. You have to make that decision.

I went with the Orca S4. I think the S5 is out now. I paid $160 i and got mine from trivilliage.com .  Xterra suits are also very popular now as entry level low priced suits. My brother just bought one, not sure which model but he likes it.

Hope this helped some.

2016-02-05 11:10 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: January totals
S: 16,960 yards
B: 210.25 miles
R: 58.7 miles

I’ve started attending masters swim classes in January, and that has been very helpful, although the long drives to the city and back are tedious and exhausting. I finally feel like I’m making some progress with my swimming and have been able to cut my 100 yard time from about 3:03 to 2:47. I know I’m still incredibly slow, but at least I’m making progress.

We’re still in the throes of winter, with snow on the ground and almost daily precipitation and fog, which has kept me inside except for a couple of weekend runs. I’ve been riding my new tri bike on my trainer for the past few weeks. I have a bike fit scheduled for tomorrow as riding it right now is really uncomfortable. Not only am I not used to the position, but also my new saddle, which was great on my road bike, isn’t going to work out. I’ll need to find something that is more comfortable because there’s no way I could ride 56 miles on that thing! Also, the pressure on my arms, particularly my left arm, from the aero bars in pretty intense. My rpms have dropped quite a bit, too. Bike fit, new saddle, and train! train! train
2016-02-05 1:31 PM

User image

My wet suit advice would be the following.

First off all, get one. You need one for colder swims and it will improve your performance.

Now the question of which one. You can spend anywhere from $100 to well over $1000. I'm of the belief that guys like me and you (average swimmers) won't gain a great deal of benefit from the higher priced suits. We just aren't good enough to maximize it's potential if that makes sense. I think an entry level suit will do everything you need it to. No need to spend more money unless you just want to.

I also went with the sleeveless for my first suit and have considered adding a full sleeve but haven't yet. I went sleeveless because of concern over shoulder mobility and the ease and quickness of getting a sleeveless off in T1 vs. a sleeved. I felt like I could get away with a sleeveless because I only use it once or twice a year and even then it is in races where the water temps are at or near the 78 degree cutoff. In your case where you may have the occasion to swim in much colder water, a full sleeve may be a better option. You have to make that decision.

I went with the Orca S4. I think the S5 is out now. I paid $160 i and got mine from trivilliage.com .  Xterra suits are also very popular now as entry level low priced suits. My brother just bought one, not sure which model but he likes it.

Hope this helped some.

What's considered a "cold" swim is a bit relative. One of my sprints had an announced water temperature of 66 and I was totally fine not having a wetsuit. To be honest, I'm not sure how accurate that measurement was. It felt closer to the temperature at the pool, but that's what they announced. Anyway, point is, I'm really doing it for improved times and not so much because of water temp. I'm not going to break the bank on it, so definitely looking closer to the $100 end than the $1000 end.

Would most tri shops let you try one out for free or would you have to pay to rent one? I'd much rather try one out in person to get a sense for how it would feel or affect my swimming.
2016-02-05 1:48 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: January totals

Originally posted by burner2 S: 16,960 yards B: 210.25 miles R: 58.7 miles I’ve started attending masters swim classes in January, and that has been very helpful, although the long drives to the city and back are tedious and exhausting. I finally feel like I’m making some progress with my swimming and have been able to cut my 100 yard time from about 3:03 to 2:47. I know I’m still incredibly slow, but at least I’m making progress. We’re still in the throes of winter, with snow on the ground and almost daily precipitation and fog, which has kept me inside except for a couple of weekend runs. I’ve been riding my new tri bike on my trainer for the past few weeks. I have a bike fit scheduled for tomorrow as riding it right now is really uncomfortable. Not only am I not used to the position, but also my new saddle, which was great on my road bike, isn’t going to work out. I’ll need to find something that is more comfortable because there’s no way I could ride 56 miles on that thing! Also, the pressure on my arms, particularly my left arm, from the aero bars in pretty intense. My rpms have dropped quite a bit, too. Bike fit, new saddle, and train! train! train

I think it was some one in this group last year that told me to raise my front wheel higher when I'm on my trainer.  I've gone from 30 minutes of pain to being able to ride 2+ hours inside.  I'm still more uncomfortable on the trainer than on the road but it sure helped.  I raised it about 2 full inches.  AND, I love my bike fit!!

2016-02-05 1:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Hope this helped some.

What's considered a "cold" swim is a bit relative. ... Would most tri shops let you try one out for free or would you have to pay to rent one? I'd much rather try one out in person to get a sense for how it would feel or affect my swimming.

I bought a NeoSport sleeveless a couple of years ago.  Got it on Amazon for $114.  I just couldn't see spending hundreds of dollars on a wet suit. 

Edit: I'm also in North Texas.  The lakes heat up quickly around here.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-02-05 2:02 PM
2016-02-05 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

You're right about cold being relative. The coldest swim I have done was Nationals in Milwaukee in 2014. I think it was announced at 65 degrees. That water was FREEZING to me. A shock to the system when I jumped in. We just aren't used to swimming in water like that down here. Maybe that is fine for you, a sleeveless would work well then.

I don't know if shops would let you try one out. They would certainly let you try one on. You could check the size and see how it feels. The shoulders and neck are the biggest areas to check for comfort. Sleeveless makes the shoulder fit a bit less important but still can be tight if the suit is too small and it pulls down on the top of the shoulders. You want it to be tight in all areas obviously and not let water in, but too constrictive in the neck can make you feel like you are choking.  If you can try it on and get the suit that fits best, like I said, most of the suits in that price range will be same/similar performance wise.

2016-02-05 6:53 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by burner2 S: 16,960 yards B: 210.25 miles R: 58.7 miles I’ve started attending masters swim classes in January, and that has been very helpful, although the long drives to the city and back are tedious and exhausting. I finally feel like I’m making some progress with my swimming and have been able to cut my 100 yard time from about 3:03 to 2:47. I know I’m still incredibly slow, but at least I’m making progress. We’re still in the throes of winter, with snow on the ground and almost daily precipitation and fog, which has kept me inside except for a couple of weekend runs. I’ve been riding my new tri bike on my trainer for the past few weeks. I have a bike fit scheduled for tomorrow as riding it right now is really uncomfortable. Not only am I not used to the position, but also my new saddle, which was great on my road bike, isn’t going to work out. I’ll need to find something that is more comfortable because there’s no way I could ride 56 miles on that thing! Also, the pressure on my arms, particularly my left arm, from the aero bars in pretty intense. My rpms have dropped quite a bit, too. Bike fit, new saddle, and train! train! train

Great totals Cass! Especially on the bike. That's good volume for all trainer and the dead of winter.

2016-02-05 7:27 PM

User image

Do you have room for one more in the group?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22698 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.