BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-03-07 11:40 AM
in reply to: #5170809

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED
I have a tri bike. I think you would see similar results with a road bike unless you ride a significant amount in the drop position. I am just guessing.

2016-03-07 12:40 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Clip on aero bars

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_547828_-1___204718

I have these. $60 from Nashbar. They'll do the job just fine. I would def recommend getting aerobars and then riding in them a lot to get used to the position. 

2016-03-07 2:17 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Dominion

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_547828_-1___204718

I have these. $60 from Nashbar. They'll do the job just fine. I would def recommend getting aerobars and then riding in them a lot to get used to the position. 

Thanks, Nate. I was just wondering if you had clip on bars for a road bike then maybe you'd have an opinion on which model(s) might be better.

But I see Chris has made a recommendation and I love the price! I'm also happy to see that they leave room for a hydration system, which would be step 2 of the upgrade. I'd much rather sip from a straw than have to reach down to a cage for a bottle. Plus, I'm guessing you can get some larger sized bottles than what would fit in a cage. I sweat quite a bit, so I think I probably have a higher than average need for fluids. I assume that most any Profile Design brand hydration system would work?

Did you mount the bars yourself Chris? I'm just curious how difficult it would be. I can't imagine it is too hard and then you just have to dial in the position of the pads to what makes you the most comfortable?

2016-03-07 5:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Super easy to install. If I remember, it's just a matter of placing it around the bars and tightening it down with an allen wrench. Its what I used my first season of racing on my road bike before I got the Shiv. It stayed on my road bike for training after that, and is on my trainer bike presently.

2016-03-12 8:51 PM

User image

Subject: Race Report
Completed my first race of the season today and overall I am pretty pleased. The BT report is here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
Its a little long, but should help ya all get to sleep.

This is the first race in the North Carolina Triathlon Series. There is only a sprint and there is typically a great turnout. This race was my first triathlon two years ago and I missed it last year as we were traveling to NH to visit family. I shaved 12 minutes from 2 years ago.

This is a 300 yard pool swim, 9 mile bike, and 5K.

Typically in pool swims I pass people. I seeded myself at the `1:35 which I have been able to hold for a 400 but my training fell off and I decreased it to 1:39, and then changed again to 1:36. I didn't want to be passed but also didn't want to be slowed by other people who over estimate their time. I went out hard. I had planned on doing flip turns for the lane changes and practiced them before race today and with all of my swims the last two weeks. I managed to do them on half. They definately increased my speed. Twice swimmers held at the wall which confused me cause I hadn't tapped any feet. I used the flip turn about half as much as I intended. Out of the pool I slowly navigated down the stairs. was a little dizzy. Outside and across the timing mat. My swim time was a 5:15 given the jump in (no diving) and climbing out and going downstairs I suspect I was pretty close to my predicted time. I was second of 21 in age group and 72 of 310 overall in men. Room to improve but really happy with the swim.

My T1 was great for me. I really ran the whole way. It was a decent run and my bike was on the far side. I have typically been slow in TZ and 1:50 gave me 8 of 21 in Ag and 86 of 310 out of the men.

The bike went well. I resisted the urge to go to hard, and targeted a 18.5mph pace. I raced faster 19.16. Had a little trouble with my front brake and almost bit it trying to avoid a speed hump. Got passed by 7 bikers and passed 1. I was going 20 mph and a friend of mind passed me like I was going backwards. WTF! Of course due to the start type I could have been passed by more and passed more. I was 13 in AG and 176 out of men on the bike. I raced with my gatorskins on, as apposed to my good tires. Really couldn't tell the difference, but this was my first road ride in 5 months. This was a good ride for me and on par with what I finished with last year, so I can't complain.

T2 went a little slower. Tried to rack my bike fork first but it wouldn't stay and I had to turn it around. Should have tried this before the race. I rack on the seat when setting tz up. For whatever I decided to sit down and put shoes on. No need to as I essentially have slides. 1:19. This was 178 out of the 310 men and 13 out of 21 in AG.

My run was in 25:56. I felt I would be happy with an 8:30 pace or there about, and ill the stars aligned a 8:00 was the best possible run. I went out steady and hit the mile at 8:35 and decided I need to push a little harder. My legs were pretty heavy and I certainly didn't feel "good". Felt like I was going slower, and due to my TomTom watch crashing last week I only had a timer , . I hit mile two at 17:00 and was happy to be on pace. I got passed by another runner and go some encouraging words and decided to try and go. Couldn't stay with him but did increase my pace. Around a turn in the last 0.1 I could see someone 30 yards behind me and decided he wasn't gonna catch me, and I pushed for the finish. My 25:56 gives me a 8:21 pace, and negative splits! Two years ago this run was the fastest I had in my first two seasons. I suspected that it was short. It was they moved the turnaround about 0.25 back. My run was actually better than my bike which I don't think has happened before. I was 12th in AG and 148 overall.

This was a great start to the season for me, but still leaves some room for improvement. Next race is in a month and I am hungry!

Nate

2016-03-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Subject: RE: Race Report
While at the race a friend of mine approached me to see if I would be interested in buy a used bike. I have a QR kilo, that I like. I had planned to eventually upgrade tires and components. I have been pricing wheel sets out, many cost more than my bike. Not sure if they make a huge difference in sprints and oly but I will do a half at some point. The bike in question was owned by Dave Mirra. He lived locally and owned a number of super-bikes both TT and road. I think I am a little taller than him. Thoughts on a top of the line cervelo? I didn't know dave but followed him on twitter and fallowed his triathlon career. I would be more interested in buying the wheel set but not sure if they would fit.

Nate

2016-03-14 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Great race Nate!

2nd fastest swim split is fantastic!!

2016-03-14 8:53 PM
in reply to: #5170904

User image

I've tried baby tiger but still feel awesome after 6x400
2016-03-15 4:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Ahh yes,  baby tiger...one of my favs.  Momma Tiger...not so much, lol

2016-03-15 6:53 PM
in reply to: #5172048

User image

What do you have for race wheels chris? Monty? Scott? Anyone else?
2016-03-15 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin What do you have for race wheels chris? Monty? Scott? Anyone else?

HED Jet 7 front and HED full disk rear.

(20150801_084244a.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
20150801_084244a.jpg (1560KB - 5 downloads)

2016-03-15 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

I think race wheels are a good investment even if you mainly race just sprint and olympic distance (which I do). 

2016-03-15 9:46 PM

User image

You do a fair number of coastal events. Do you have trouble handling with the cross winds?
2016-03-16 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

No, but then again I am near 200 pounds. I could see a lighter athlete possibly having issues in strong cross winds, but I've never had any problems. There have been times like on bridges and things where I have felt a little tug or two , but never enough to concern me much. Again the lighter you are the more you may get pushed around a little in the winds.

2016-03-16 10:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Honestly, I haven't invested in race wheels and still have the R500's that were on my bike when I purchased it.  I just can't justify the expense and I won't buy cheep wheels only to regret it later.  It would be different if I raced more but I only do a few tri's a year.  Usually a couple of olympic and a 70.3 or two.  I have no race plans after May this year.

BUT, I reserved a set of Zip 404's from racedaywheels.com for my Ironman in May.  $160 and they put the wheels on the day before and take them off the day after.  I figured for 112 miles I'll take every advantage I can get.  You can rent different combinations and try them out.  If you choose to purchase you get a discount and they sell the used wheels at the end of the season.  You have to be on top of it because the they go quick.  There's several other companies doing this now.

2016-03-17 8:26 AM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Super easy to install. If I remember, it's just a matter of placing it around the bars and tightening it down with an allen wrench. Its what I used my first season of racing on my road bike before I got the Shiv. It stayed on my road bike for training after that, and is on my trainer bike presently.

I'm very excited to report that I ordered and have received my aero bars! I put them on my bike, but as I was doing so I started to wonder whether I was setting them up correctly or not. I've done some searching on the internet and it seems like different people have theirs set at different angles. I'm just wondering if there is a "right" or "optimal" angle for the aero bars or if it is more of a matter of comfort. The same goes for the spacing of the bars. I'm assuming that you don't want them too far apart, but I also don't want to put them so close together that it's uncomfortable and I can't stay in an aero position for very long. Any advice on just how to set these bad boys up?

2016-03-17 10:21 PM

User image

Mine sit in at about the "midclavicular line". This is marked by the mid point in your clavicle. When I got fitted they initially had them in and it felt tight and I felt like I had less control. We moved them out about a 1/4 inch each and it felt more comfortable. After riding for a bit I moved them back in. Its harder to describe the forward and back position.. The pads are a little in front of my elbows, and my fingers rest at the tips of the bars.

NP
2016-03-17 10:22 PM

User image

oh and congrats
2016-03-18 9:17 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Mine sit in at about the "midclavicular line". This is marked by the mid point in your clavicle. When I got fitted they initially had them in and it felt tight and I felt like I had less control. We moved them out about a 1/4 inch each and it felt more comfortable. After riding for a bit I moved them back in. Its harder to describe the forward and back position.. The pads are a little in front of my elbows, and my fingers rest at the tips of the bars.

NP

Thanks, Nate. I'll probably see how they feel in their current position and adjust them if I don't feel comfortable.
2016-03-18 12:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Originally posted by nrpoulin Mine sit in at about the "midclavicular line". This is marked by the mid point in your clavicle. When I got fitted they initially had them in and it felt tight and I felt like I had less control. We moved them out about a 1/4 inch each and it felt more comfortable. After riding for a bit I moved them back in. Its harder to describe the forward and back position.. The pads are a little in front of my elbows, and my fingers rest at the tips of the bars. NP
Thanks, Nate. I'll probably see how they feel in their current position and adjust them if I don't feel comfortable.

Just try to find a comfortable position and be prepared to adjust as necessary. Take an allen head with you on the next ride and stop and adjust on the fly if needed until you find what fits best.

2016-03-20 7:52 PM

User image

Subject: Cough, hack!
Well, putting the finishing touches on being an absolute zombie for the last 5 days. Wednesday morning started like any other morning, but by about 9:30 things started taking a nasty turn for the worse. It started with chills then added in some light-headed feeling, fever, cold sweats, body aches, a cough, and for the last 2 days I've also had stomach discomfort. I barely moved from the couch or my bed for the first 4 days. I was a little better today, but still not feeling well. It sucks bad enough just feeling this crappy for this long, but I keep thinking about all of the days that are going by and I'm not doing a single workout! I haven't done anything since last Sunday and I feel like a total slacker. Anyone else out there get any part of this or am I the only lucky one?

2016-03-20 9:48 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Cough, hack!
No but did spend a night in the ED due to closing my daughters thumb in the door. It was broken and included a nail bed laceration which we had a plastic surgeon fix.

Cass less than a month go. How are you doing?

Nate
2016-03-21 5:35 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I've been on Mucinex DM, Claritin D, and a few other meds for two weeks now. But somehow I haven't gotten an infection. Probably going to the doctor this week for something stronger. Luckily this last week was a recovery week and all my workouts were short. Rest and get well.

Edit: Stay away from dairy and wheat products, fried foods, and simple sugars. They create more mucus. Lots of greens.

Edit: Sorry about your girls finger, ouch!

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-03-21 5:38 AM
2016-03-21 11:02 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

No but did spend a night in the ED due to closing my daughters thumb in the door. It was broken and included a nail bed laceration which we had a plastic surgeon fix.

Cass less than a month go. How are you doing?

Nate

Ouch! Poor thing. Be more careful next time! ;-)

While still not 100%, I'm feeling better today. The first real signs of improvement since Wednesday. The crazy thought entered my head of possibly going for a run later tonight. But I think I'm better off giving my body one more day of rest. I've been dying to do something, but I don't want to rush it and put too much stress on my body when it isn't ready. *sigh*
2016-03-21 4:38 PM
in reply to: #5158713

I didn't get sick (yet, crossing fingers), but my 4 y/o was diagnosed with influenza A last week. Super sick for a couple of days, and my husband had to miss 3 days of classes to watch him. Tamiflu did seem to work for him, so it didn't last too long, but I still missed a whole week of workouts as a result. I have the time today to go hit the Y, but the off time really hits my motivation hard!

Hope the rest of you and your kiddos are doing better.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22401 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.