BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-04-28 6:15 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Quiet, but I've got a question

Originally posted by burner2
Originally posted by rjchilds8 Question for everyone. It seems like at least the last 5 times I've been to the pool I've had the sniffles for at least a day afterwards. Does this happen to anyone else?
It can take a couple of hours sometimes for the pool water to drain from my head, depending on how rowdy the other pool users were when I was trying to swim, but it usually doesn't last longer than that. However, the chlorine can affect me, especially if I swim soon after they add more chemicals, and can irritate my sinuses for a day or so. My biggest problem this time of year, though, is allergies. Unfortunately, April has not been a good month for me. I spent the first two weeks laid up with a bad back, and then the week in New Orleans, and then caught something nasty on the plane ride back. So far this month, I've made it into work only five days, and my training hours are way down, as well. I'm still struggling to get over it, but I did manage to get out for the Lilac Century Ride for the third year in a row this morning. However, this year, I chose not to do the brick option and just took my time on the ride and did a shorter 20-mile loop. It was nice just being out there and enjoying it as a community bike ride, instead of a training session. I took the time to stop at every rest stop and enjoy the homemade cookies the volunteers made for us and talk with the kids. I was also able to snag a new 2014 t-shirt to replace my original one, which is now four sizes too big.

Hope you are feeling better. 

Dropping 4 shirt sizes, now that is an accomplishment! 

2016-04-29 9:36 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Originally posted by rjchilds8 So quiet on here. Everyone must be too exhausted from their workouts to post. LOL Question for everyone. It seems like at least the last 5 times I've been to the pool I've had the sniffles for at least a day afterwards. Does this happen to anyone else? I don't remember it happening like this before. It's possible it did and I never made a mental note of it, but I think it's more likely that it's a new development. Sometimes it's gone the same day. But other times, like right now, it's more than a day after my swim and I still have a runny nose. Just curious if that happens to anyone else. Hope everyone's training is going well!

You bet. It's usually worse for me during the allergy seasons. It doesn't seem to matter which pool I swim in, chlorine or salt water. I usually have about an hour or so after the swim then my nose unloads. Sometimes for hours. It really sucks while on the bike! You might try taking an antihistamine and see if it calms down your sinus so they won't react to the chlorine as bad. Just a guess. 

Threw my back out last Monday. I think it was from riding a stationary at the gym on Sunday but who knows. I managed to get in a few long, slow, and painful workouts in last week but missed my volume goal. At this point I'm not improving anything anyway. Just holding on till race day. I'm three weeks out and my taper has started, thank God! I have a couple of days off this week. Resting today with a swim/bike/run tomorrow and another rest on Wednesday. Oh, and another chiropractor appoint this afternoon. I've really stayed on top of my back/core work but when it goes, it goes.

Have a good week!

Rest Rest Rest!

Nothing more to do now but make sure you are healthy and ready on race day!

2016-04-30 11:48 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

I got an email from Ironman that due to flooding and road damage the bike course has been shortened from 112 to 94 miles. Everyone has been too busy with rescue efforts, roads, etc. to make changes to the course and get them approved and permitted. This is a new bike route that was only finalized last week because one town refused to permit the existing route this year, they didn't want the traffic. With the race only two weeks from today they didn't have a choice. I guess that's better than canceling the race. It can always be worse!!

About the water up the nose topic, I had a long ride last week after a swim and my nose RAN the entire time! Not just a little bit either! I ordered a nose clip to try out while swimming and wore it for the first time last night. Other than it was WAY too tight and I thought my nose would fall off it seemed to do the job. Very little sinus issues when I was done. Having my nose closed was a little uncomfortable feeling but wasn't horrible. I didn't notice a shortness of breath or anything and it kept me from wasting oxygen having to blow out my nose to clear. But in an open water swim that wouldn't really be an issue, only in a pool when turning, etc. I'm going to keep trying it to see what happens. 

2016-04-30 12:21 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

About the water up the nose topic, I had a long ride last week after a swim and my nose RAN the entire time! Not just a little bit either! I ordered a nose clip to try out while swimming and wore it for the first time last night. Other than it was WAY too tight and I thought my nose would fall off it seemed to do the job. Very little sinus issues when I was done. Having my nose closed was a little uncomfortable feeling but wasn't horrible. I didn't notice a shortness of breath or anything and it kept me from wasting oxygen having to blow out my nose to clear. But in an open water swim that wouldn't really be an issue, only in a pool when turning, etc. I'm going to keep trying it to see what happens. 

I think I do a fair amount of breathing out through my nose, so I'm not sure how well that would work for me. But I'd be curious to have an update from you after you've used it a few more times. Keep me posted.
2016-05-01 7:07 AM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Subject: April Monthly totals
Swim:3h 44m 56s - 10000 M
Bike:5h 06m 56s - 84.18 Mi
Run:6h 23m 18s - 42.3 Mi

My swim and bike were up for the month. My run total was higher than March (by a couple miles), but still down considerably from my peak mileage total in February (56 miles). Not exactly surprising since I started having to spend some time on yard work, I've been busier at my 9-5 job, the kids have started their summer sports schedules, and I've started riding outside during the day. Still, I know I can fit in more training. There were nights where I could have gone for a run and the couch sucked me in! LOL

On a positive note, yesterday I posted my fastest bike ride since I started triathlon training. I went for a ride Thursday including my big hill climbs, but at the end of the biggest climb my calves were cramping and I had to cut the ride short at just over 8 miles. With rain in the forecast for Sunday, I figured I better get some miles in on Saturday. While every route around me has some kind of hills, I did choose a loop that didn't have any major hills. I know it isn't nearly as fast as some of you, but I completed 16.5 miles at an average pace around 18.2 mph. For me, that's fast. Don't worry, I don't mind if you laugh. Felt good, especially since I really only put a concerted effort into my pace on the 2nd loop. And, it was only the end of April. I still have a month and a half before my first race. So it was very gratifying to have that kind of ride after such a miserable ride 2 days earlier and so early in the season.

On a negative note, I wandered over to chat with my neighbor after my ride. I was barefoot. As I was walking through one of the mulched areas between our two properties, I smashed my pinkie toe on my left foot into a rock. I thought I broke it! I was laying on my living room floor for about 10 minutes writhing in pain. Over 15 hours later, it still hurts this morning. I think I should still be able swim, but I'll probably feel it when I push off the walls. I should still be able to bike. But running might be a problem for at least a couple days. And, I have an obstacle course race next weekend! Perfect timing.
2016-05-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED

You won't find me laughing at 18 mph. Good job. Sorry about the toe!

April:

Swim: 41175y - 13h 09m

Bike: 478m - 29h 11m

Run: 109m - 17h 13m

Strength: 5h

Sport (hiking mostly): 2h

I felt like this plan was a little lacking in run volume from the start but I stuck with it. I've read a lot lately about less volume and more intentional or specific run workouts especially for old farts like me.

I had my first solid workout last night since my back episode two weeks ago. It felt really good!! Just 13 days away!!

edit: forgot I already mentioned the bike route is now 94 miles.

Edited by HelmoAlkou 2016-05-01 10:36 AM

2016-05-01 10:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - CLOSED

(Taper Warning.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Taper Warning.jpg (50KB - 3 downloads)
2016-05-02 12:11 AM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Subject: Bloomsday 12K
This was my second time running Bloomsday, one of the biggest running events in the U.S. with 50,000 runners. I've been sick for the past ten days and I'm still really sick with a sinus infection, but I ran it anyway. I didn't push myself; I just went to enjoy the day. It was beautiful and sunny, just like last year. I listened to the bands that played along the route, and high-fived all the kids watching the race.

I maintained a pretty steady pace until I got to Doomsday Hill. Since I wasn't planning to set any speed records, I just walked it and then started running again when I got to the top. That guy giving out donuts was at the top again, and I learned it's really hard to eat a donut while running when I'm totally congested and already having trouble breathing.

About a mile from the finish line, I realized I was set to finish about four minutes faster than last year, so I picked up my pace a bit and finished in 1:36:48, four minutes and 24 seconds faster than last year. And that's after stopping to help a fellow runner who fell off a curb and also taking a 1:11 porta potty break at mile 2.5.

So, I'm pretty happy with the results. I didn't take any painkillers this year. It took me two hydrocodone to get through the race last year, but I didn't need anything this year. I guess I'm getting used to the pain.

Edited by burner2 2016-05-02 12:32 AM
2016-05-02 12:30 AM

User image

Subject: April totals
S: 7,870 yards
B: 172.35 miles
R: 23.76 miles

My numbers are way down this month. I started April with a hurt back, ended up in the hospital briefly, and then taper week for NOLA 70.3. Didn't add any mileage there, and then caught SARS or something on the flight home and have been sick ever since. Oh, well!

So, since NOLA was a wash for me, I've signed up for Cd'A 70.3 on June 26. I'm really concerned about heat with this one. Last year, they had to move the start of the race to 5:00 a.m. because it hit triple digits by about 10:00 a.m. This year, they've moved the full to August and are doing only the half in June. But still, it's an eight hour race for me, and starting at 7:00 a.m. still means I'm going to be running in the hottest part of the day.

Also, lake conditions can be nearly as bad as NOLA, so I'm going to have to learn how to swim in five-foot swells. Fortunately, since the lake is only two hours away, I will be able to train on the course a couple of times before the race.

You won't find me laughing about 18 mph, either. Especially if it involves climbing hills!
2016-05-02 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: April totals

It looks like everyone is busy and had a pretty good training month in April.

April was not a good month for swimming for me. I had a minor health issue that cost me a week of swimming and then my pool closes for a month in April as it converts over from an indoor to outdoor pool. So all together that was 2 weeks of no swimming. On top of that some changes at work cost me a few opportunities as well. In the end I only got in 3 swims in April.  My first race includes a 1500 meter ocean swim in 2 weeks.

Bike mileage was also down somewhat. Weather is to blame for most of that. I was over 300 last April. Run mileage was pretty solid for me for an April.

S: 8000y

B: 193 miles

R: 75 miles

2016-05-03 8:41 PM

User image

New user
April was my get back in the saddle month in all disciplines. Not where I was hoping to be after a month but it's a start. May should be a much better month for me! Signed up for all my Tri's except for the last one. I'm a bit nervous about putting down the cash for it yet. My first one is on Father's Day and then two in July followed by my last one which if all goes well is a 1/2 iron distance. I never thought coming from a running background that 13.1 miles would scare me again, but after swimming 1.2 miles and biking 56, it most certainly does! Which is why I'm likely going for the 1/2! Gotta conquer those fears!

April's totals
Swim: 3h 51m 31s - 9700 Yd
Bike: 5h 30m 43s - 105.27 Mi
Run: 5h 02m 35s - 35.01 Mi

Scott

2016-05-03 9:30 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

April was okay. I raced and took a couple extra days off from just feeling beat up especially the week after my race. Work has been busy, and I have been staying up to late to workout. Overall I took 8 days off which isn't to bad. I did skip a workout or two each week. I'm moving up to an Oly next month so I really need to increase my bike and swim. I have added some strength training. Overall swim and strength up, bike and run down

SWIM3h 36m 36s - 12070.21 Yd
BIKE7h 19m 21s - 136.07 Mi
RUN7h 41m 49s - 53.61 Mi
STRENGTH 8h 03

Did my longest run of the year on Sunday May 1st at 9.3. Technically my longest run in 15 years.
In the pool today 5 x 500 with first 500 at 1:38 pace and all under 1:45. Still can't figure out my last race swim leg. This was the first time I was able to hit the pool since my race.

Monty when does your race wheel set arrive?

Cass why not a fall 70.3? I can't handle that heat. Didn't know it got that hot up there.

Chris is that Tybee?

Randy Great bike. Keep pounding!

Scott great start. Always amazed at what you are able to do you little training. Im sure you are in better shape than you let on.

2016-05-03 9:30 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

April was okay. I raced and took a couple extra days off from just feeling beat up especially the week after my race. Work has been busy, and I have been staying up to late to workout. Overall I took 8 days off which isn't to bad. I did skip a workout or two each week. I'm moving up to an Oly next month so I really need to increase my bike and swim. I have added some strength training. Overall swim and strength up, bike and run down

SWIM3h 36m 36s - 12070.21 Yd
BIKE7h 19m 21s - 136.07 Mi
RUN7h 41m 49s - 53.61 Mi
STRENGTH 8h 03

Did my longest run of the year on Sunday May 1st at 9.3. Technically my longest run in 15 years.
In the pool today 5 x 500 with first 500 at 1:38 pace and all under 1:45. Still can't figure out my last race swim leg. This was the first time I was able to hit the pool since my race.

Monty when does your race wheel set arrive?

Cass why not a fall 70.3? I can't handle that heat. Didn't know it got that hot up there.

Chris is that Tybee?

Randy Great bike. Keep pounding!

Scott great start. Always amazed at what you are able to do you little training. Im sure you are in better shape than you let on.

2016-05-04 7:31 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin  Chris is that Tybee?  

No, the first one is Jekyll Island.

Tybee is June 12th. I'm doing something a little different for Tybee this year. The owner of my local shop (SBR) put together a relay team for that race and told me to get a team as well and he would pay the entry fee. Now his team is solid and has some fast triathletes. So I knew I had to recruit some fast guys to compete. I got a former collegiate swimmer to get us started and a fast local runner (non-triathlete) who's training focus currently is the Atlanta Peachtree 10k race. I'll be riding. When he saw my team he named us the "SBR Dream Team".  And yes that is the name he registered us under. No pressure, right?

2016-05-04 9:53 PM

User image

Awesome. How many relays do you think will be there?

Nate
2016-05-05 1:15 AM

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

Frankly, I'm tired of training. I want to get a 70.3 over with so I can get my life back. If I postpone it until fall, then that's just more time spent training hours and hours and hours in the evenings and on the weekends..

Also, NOLA turned out to be a lot more expensive than I thought it would be. Not only did I go through all the savings I had budgeted for the trip, but also a big portion of my home improvement budget that was going to go toward my bike barn renovation. The two biggest expenses turned out to be transportation fees once I got there--all the freakin' Lyft rides, as well as the airport shuttles--and food. Even though I made use of my condo's kitchen, everything cost double what I thought it would. I'm sure I'll do another destination race, but probably not until next year. I considered Calgary, which is probably the next closest for me. There's a big Burner community, so I could probably couch surf and maybe even a couple of volunteer sherpas, but it's during July, so again...heat. If it's anything like Fairbanks, it can hit the mid to upper 90s that time of year. Still not as bad as Cd'A, but at least Cd'A is close to where I live, so I can actually train on the race route. I'm trying to hook up with other people in my tri club who have raced or are planning to race it so I can train with them and learn from their experience, as well.

2016-05-05 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin  Monty when does your race wheel set arrive?

They don't.  I'll meet Race Day Wheels in the Bike Shop and Tech area in Ironman Village on Thursday after athlete check-in.  They'll change my cassette to the race wheels and get it all set up on my bike.  Then I hope to ride a little Thursday afternoon or maybe early Friday morning.  The bike and transition bag check-in is Friday.

The pre race schedule is different than anything I've done before.  It might be standard for long course, idk.  Wed and Thurs are athlete check-ins where you receive all the stuff (numbers, swim cap, info, ect.) and five different color bags.  Friday is bike, T1, and T2 bag check-in.  Sat morning before the race is special needs bags and race day clothes bag check-in.  You will access to the special needs bags about half way through the bike/run but the bags are not returned after you use them.  Of course the race day clothes you pick up after the race.

2016-05-05 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin Awesome. How many relays do you think will be there? Nate

It's a decent size race so there will be a few teams. I think our biggest competition will be the other SBR team though.

2016-05-06 1:12 PM

User image

24 weeks to IMNC 70.3. Still time for a training plan. Do I go for it or wait another year....

Edited by nrpoulin 2016-05-06 1:13 PM
2016-05-06 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Originally posted by nrpoulin 24 weeks to IMNC 70.3. Still time for a training plan. Do I go for it or wait another year....

You never know what tomorrow might bring!  Do it!  (If your spouse is on board of course)

2016-05-07 6:28 PM

User image

24 weeks to IMNC 70.3. Still time for a training plan. Do I go for it or wait another year....

Go for it! Why wait another year?

2016-05-08 8:31 AM

User image

I'd say go for it as long as you think you'll have the time to commit to the training. I assume you've done one or more Oly's already?
2016-05-08 3:15 PM

User image

Will need to negotiate with the wife.
My first Oly this year is in two weeks. Will see how that goes and then enter negotiations.
I have at least one maybe two more planned for this year
2016-05-09 5:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: ---

Is this the former Beach to Battleship race?

If so, I know a few who did it last year and really enjoyed it.

2016-05-10 8:02 PM

User image

Subject: Finally!
May has been a bitter disappointment in the weather department! Almost every day since the start of the month has been either raining or had a high temperature for the day only in the 40s ... or BOTH! I've been able to squeeze in some runs outside, but it has been far from bike-friendly weather. I guess I could have technically gone for a ride yesterday, but I knew the forecast was for a much nicer day today, so I put it off for one more day. I'm glad that I waited because today had to be at least 5 degrees warmer. Plus, I had a little more free time in my schedule today, which allowed me to log 22.6 miles. I've still got about 5 1/2 weeks before my first race (a sprint) this season. I'm liking where I'm at so far this year, particularly how well I've been able to do on the bike this early. My biggest problem is that our weekends are so busy that I'm starting to miss my Saturday or Sunday morning swim on the weekend. I'm going to have to start finding time during the week to get to the pool.

How is everyone else doing on their training? I hope you're all enjoying your training! ;-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22389 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.