BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2016-01-02 9:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!!

Name: Dominion / Chris

Story:

Welcome to the Dominion Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group - Year 3.  I've been racing for five years and coaching for two. I've partnered with a local multi-sport shop to help promote an active and healthy lifestyle in our community. I am committed to working to achieve the goals I have set for myself in this sport and hope I can help you do the same. I have a philosophy of balance and consitency in all phases of life and feel that is the optimal way to train and participate in the sport of triathlon. If your looking to get started in this sport or improve your results at the Sprint and/or Olympic distance than this might be the group for you.

2016 Races:

At this point my schedule for the season is still up in the air. I do have a HM on Feb.6 and an open water river swim in August that I am committed to. I usually race 7-8 triathlons per season mostly focused on the Olympic distance. The schedule should begin to fill out in the next few weeks.

Goals:

My goals this year include competing at the Aqua Bike National Championships in Miami in November. And hopefully starting a Masters swim program at my local pool.

What will make me a good mentor:

I have a true passion for this sport and for a healthy and active lifestyle.  I am willing and interested in helping anyone looking to get into triathlon or those already competing who want to step their game up and be more competitive.    Along with my racing experience, I am a Certified Fitness Trainer.  I don't claim to know it all, but I feel I have been doing this long enough and well enough to be able to answer questions and help others improve in the sport, get started in the sport, or just improve in the areas of health and fitness.

I hope to have many of our core members return and look forward to some new faces as well! 

Edited by Dominion 2016-09-12 7:27 AM

2016-01-04 12:22 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Americus, Georgia
Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance Tri Group
Woo Hoo! I'll be stalking, ahem.. I mean "following" you again this year, hopefully with some races to plan for and report on! Did you happen to see my post from yesterday on the old forum? Would greatly appreciate your feedback and advice! Thanks! Happy New Year!!
2016-01-04 3:01 PM
in reply to: marriedthepoolguy

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Hi Jenn.

In regards to your question I don't think you would be "losing" anything. But you would most likely not be making any gains either. So in that sense I guess you could say that you would be "losing" the opportunity to make gains during that time period. Remember progressive overload, if you are not challenging your systems they are not going to grow. You may want to take the plan and adjust it for your current level of fitness. Maybe adding 10 or 15% might work? 

Or do what Randy suggested and just race an Olympic!

2016-01-04 9:53 PM

User image

Name: Nate

Story: This is my 3rd season in triathlon. I started as a means to get in shape, and have really enjoyed it. Last year I did my first Olympic, and accomplished my goal of landing on the podium for my age group twice. This year I will attempt to compete in my Olympics and complete in the point series for the state. I've managed to do 4-6 races a year. I am married, work a lot, and have three kids under seven.

I will race almost monthly from March to October. My first event is March 12th, then April 23rd, and May 21st.

I've been a member of this group for 2 years and its awesome.

Nate
2016-01-04 10:12 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

In for another season.
Here are my totals for December and 2015.

My December totals

swim 1h 30m 31s - 4800.00 Yd
bike 1h 00m - 17.50 Mi
run 9h 41m 54s - 65.21 Mi

Run is up a little from last month and a lot from last year

Swim 76.1
Bike 914.7
Run 512.5

Doing the Lazymans Ironman now. First in my Tri club to complete iron distance training volume wins. You only get 1 mile for 5 minutes on the trainer which makes it tough.

Nate
Nate
2016-01-05 7:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by nrpoulin Name: Nate Story: This is my 3rd season in triathlon. I started as a means to get in shape, and have really enjoyed it. Last year I did my first Olympic, and accomplished my goal of landing on the podium for my age group twice. This year I will attempt to compete in my Olympics and complete in the point series for the state. I've managed to do 4-6 races a year. I am married, work a lot, and have three kids under seven. I will race almost monthly from March to October. My first event is March 12th, then April 23rd, and May 21st. I've been a member of this group for 2 years and its awesome. Nate

Thanks Nate.

Welcome back. Let's make 2016 Great!

2016-01-05 6:10 PM

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
I guess I'll follow Nate's lead and do the re-introduction.

My name is Randy. I got started in triathlon about two years ago when my younger brother mentioned that he had wanted to do a local race for about 20 years and wanted us to commit to doing it together. That first year was quite a learning curve, but I found out along the way that I really enjoyed this sport. For my 2nd year, I set the goal of competing at the Olympic distance. I completed several sprint distance races and, despite some severe leg cramps, managed to finish my first Olympic triathlon.

I still compete in other , non-triathlon events, as well. I'll do some 5Ks, at least one 10K, and probably a couple half-marathons this year and I am already signed up for two obstacle course races. But my main focus is on triathlon. My goal in 2016 is to complete at least 2-3 sprints and 2 Olympics. I also have my eye on a local Xterra race.

I've found this group to be a valuable resource and a good "social" group with great camaraderie, as well. While I don't feel like a beginner any longer, I still find it beneficial to be a part of this group. I look forward to hearing about all of your experiences in 2016!
2016-01-10 8:54 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

quiet so far. I just finished my first week in my training plan. Heading out of town on Tuesday to San Antonio. Gonna get a bike and a swim tomorrow and just run while traveling.

Randy are you still in off season training? Your races start much later than mine.

Nate
2016-01-11 2:43 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by nrpoulin

quiet so far. I just finished my first week in my training plan. Heading out of town on Tuesday to San Antonio. Gonna get a bike and a swim tomorrow and just run while traveling.

Randy are you still in off season training? Your races start much later than mine.

Nate

Oh, yeah, it's going to be a long time before I can race. While there are some early June races, the first triathlon on my calendar isn't until a sprint on June 17th. I've got some other races before then. I'm planning on a couple 5Ks, a 10K, and a 10 miler, not to mention an obstacle course race (just for fun). I've mostly been doing long, slow runs to build up my aerobic base. Not too many hard miles. I might do a 5K time trial on my treadmill tomorrow night, just something to gauge where I am.

Is this a HIM training plan? Olympic? Sorry, I couldn't remember what you were working towards. How long does the plan run?

R.

Edited by rjchilds8 2016-01-11 2:44 PM
2016-01-12 4:31 AM

User image

New user
Watford
Subject: Post Christmas Training
Hi all,

Hope it's OK to post here. I went to the previous group and there was a link to this group.
Really enjoy the discussions and information, so with permission I'd like to continue to be a member.

Anyway here's what I was about to post on the previous thread.

I haven’t posted here in a couple of months, mainly because my training pre-Christmas becomes very haphazard, but now Christmas is a distant memory I thought I'd share my new training plan to see what you think.

Due to family commitments I leave the weekend for ad-hoc training. I normally fit in 30mins core exercises and hopefully a long bike, run or trail run.

The weekday is more structured. I have 30mins before work and just under an hour at lunch.
Once the weather improves I hope to add another session in the evening or replace one of the day sessions with a longer evening session.
Until then my weekday plans are:

Morning: Leg Strength and conditions
Lunch: Swim

Morning: Shoulders, Biceps, Lower Back
Lunch: Bike

Morning: Chest, Triceps, Upper Back
Lunch: Run

One day complete rest, the other day I repeat one of the sessions in a rolling manner, so week 1 I repeat Leg & Swim day, week 2 repeat Shoulders and Bike etc.

One week in, and it seems to be working very well, just need to sort out my nutrition now, as I’m starving by mid-morning!!!

Happy training – Tony.
2016-01-12 7:50 PM

Is it okay if I join the group?

Name: Lisa

I began getting into shape about 8 years ago. I started with running, which gradually turned into cycling and then swimming. I did my first Sprint about three years ago and have done a couple of more since then. My goal for this year is to complete my first Olympic tri. I would also really like to start improving my times.

Right now I am training for a half marathon on Feb 14th. I also decided to join a Masters swim group to try to improve my swim times.

That is all for now.

Lisa

2016-01-13 3:28 PM
in reply to: TonyAbbott

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Subject: RE: Post Christmas Training

Welcome back Tony!

Your program looks good. Stick with it and stay consistent and you should begin to see results.

I'm a strong advocate of strength training in any routine.  But I might suggest instead of doing the "rolling repeat" of a strength training session twice in one week, use that morning instead to get an additional SBR workout in. I think that as you move into your season you'll find the SBR workout more beneficial than repeating a strength workout twice in the same week.  This is just a suggestion you may want to take a look at, but do whatever works best for you. The important thing is that you are out there doing something to improve your health and fitness.

Keep it up!

2016-01-13 3:31 PM
in reply to: exercisegirl

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by exercisegirl Is it okay if I join the group? Name: Lisa I began getting into shape about 8 years ago. I started with running, which gradually turned into cycling and then swimming. I did my first Sprint about three years ago and have done a couple of more since then. My goal for this year is to complete my first Olympic tri. I would also really like to start improving my times. Right now I am training for a half marathon on Feb 14th. I also decided to join a Masters swim group to try to improve my swim times. That is all for now. Lisa

Hi Lisa, 

You can absolutely join the group!

As a triathlete looking to make the jump from Sprint to Olympic distances, you are in the right place! We have several returning members with the same goals. Everyone here is eager and willing to share training and racing experiences and ideas. If you have any questions, fire away!

2016-01-13 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome back Randy!

Glad to have you on board! We need to make sure that family trophy stays at your place for another year.!!!

2016-01-13 8:12 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

Welcome back Randy!

Glad to have you on board! We need to make sure that family trophy stays at your place for another year.!!!

Check! My older brother has already vowed to get himself back on track with his running and make this year much more competitive. I think he's feeling the heat since I've put my name on the Cup the last two years! LOL
2016-01-14 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Originally posted by Dominion

Welcome back Randy!

Check! My older brother has already vowed to get himself back on track with his running and make this year much more competitive. I think he's feeling the heat since I've put my name on the Cup the last two years! LOL

That's excellent that you motivate each other. A litle friendly competition is making you both better. I know that's how it is with my brother and I.

2016-01-14 3:09 PM

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Greetings, everybody! Good to see folks back in the group again this year. And welcome, Lisa!

A quick intro for me...this will be my third year competing in triathlons. I started competing as a way to kick up my exercise routine and lose weight, and boy, did I! I lost 100 pounds the first year, and an additional 20 the second year. My first year, I did four sprints. My second year (last year), I did four sprints and four Olympics, including competing at Nationals where I was very happy to not finish last in my age group. I also completed 13 running races, from 5K to ten miles. This year, I'll be kicking it up another notch with my first Half Ironman, NOLA 70.3, in April. I picked this HIM because 1) it's flat, and 2) it's on the ten-year anniversary of the death of my son, so it's a means to distract myself from that event, while also celebrating his life by competing in his memory. I'm hoping I can find some place where I can get his photo printed on a tri singlet for the event.

Last year, I worked with Chris as my coach for several months and made a lot of progress in endurance and speed. I feel really comfortable now running longer distances, although I still haven't run a half marathon distance yet. And I'm also comfortable riding my bike several hours, as well as swimming the HIM distance. So, I'm reasonably sure I can do the HIM distance!

At the beginning of 2016, I was chosen as one of 40 women nationwide to participate in Tri For Equality's "Equally Inspiring" program and paired with a coach from their program for my HIM training. I also joined a nearby triathlon club and now participate in masters swimming classes, which have been extremely helpful as swimming is my weakest link. They also have mini-triathlons once a month, and I'll be participating in those, as well, with the first one coming up in a couple of weeks.

December totals:
S: 16540 yards
B: 256.86 miles
R: 41.71 miles

2015 totals:
S: 72.5 miles
B: 2,000.05 miles
R: 517.75 miles

I'm really looking forward to the 2016 season!

Cassandra
2016-01-14 3:18 PM

User image

I also have my eye on a local Xterra race.

Wow! I had thought at first I might try Xterra as I love mountain biking, and it looks like lots of fun. But, those people are pretty badass and take some serious risks, sometimes with pretty spectacular not-quite-successful results! I really like my teeth, so decided to stick with tamer paved surfaces. However, I do one off-road triathlon a year, riding my son's mountain bike. It's not an Xterra and not nearly as extreme, but it's lots of fun. I really enjoy it!
2016-01-14 4:57 PM

User image

New user
I'm back in for another go round.

My name is Scott. I've competed in several sprints and a few Oly's the last 3 seasons with a few Du's mixed in as well. I am married with 2 kids ages 5 and 3. They keep me busy and finding the time to train is becoming harder. I live in Michigan so training outside is rather challenging this time of year through the end of April.

This off season has been tough. I'm struggling with my goals for this year. Many of my favorite races are not taking place this year and finding replacements is tough. I'm toying around with a HIM this fall but at this point, not finding the motivation is pushing that goal back another year.

I've been challenged with a new job that has new opportunities and stresses. So, I'm really trying to get a handle on all the new changes and get things straightened out so that I can make time to train and enjoy it in the process. Looking forward to hearing how everyone's doing!

Scott
2016-01-14 6:25 PM
in reply to: scottjjmtri99

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome Cassandra and Scott.

If searching for motivation, might I suggest "Iron War" by Matt Fitzgerald. I got it for Christmas and it has been the best tri book I've read yet. The story of Dave Scott and Mark Allen and how they got to be the two greatest ironman champions of all time.  Very inspiring is all I can say.

2016-01-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Originally posted by burner2

I also have my eye on a local Xterra race.

Wow! I had thought at first I might try Xterra as I love mountain biking, and it looks like lots of fun. But, those people are pretty badass and take some serious risks, sometimes with pretty spectacular not-quite-successful results! I really like my teeth, so decided to stick with tamer paved surfaces. However, I do one off-road triathlon a year, riding my son's mountain bike. It's not an Xterra and not nearly as extreme, but it's lots of fun. I really enjoy it!

This is labeled as an Xterra race, but from what I can tell the mountain bike leg isn't very technical/demanding. Take a look at the video at this link (http://mramultisport.com/ra/?page=event_details&actname=xterra-french-river). If you skip to the 2:30 mark or so of the video, you can see them riding on what look like pretty well maintained trails. I've watched some of the Xterra videos on youtube and I know what you're saying. I see people falling all over the place, including what looks like nearly falling down a mountain side! This wouldn't be anything that extreme. It just looks like a fun, off-road triathlon.

2016-01-15 11:35 AM

Thanks for the book suggestion. I am always looking for inspiring books to read. I am about to start reading 'Once a Runner'. It had great reviews.

I am in the middle of my training plan for a half marathon in February. I have about a month left. I always find my motivation to go down around this time in my plan. I am not sure why... Maybe it is the mounting fatigue, while still having a bunch of hard runs ahead? Does anyone else feel like this?

Lisa
2016-01-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: exercisegirl

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by exercisegirl Thanks for the book suggestion. I am always looking for inspiring books to read. I am about to start reading 'Once a Runner'. It had great reviews. I am in the middle of my training plan for a half marathon in February. I have about a month left. I always find my motivation to go down around this time in my plan. I am not sure why... Maybe it is the mounting fatigue, while still having a bunch of hard runs ahead? Does anyone else feel like this? Lisa

Stay focused and keep your eye on the prize. February will be here before you know it. Think about what it will feel like standing on the starting line race morning. You want to be prepared and confident. Now is the time to make that happen. A few more hard weeks and then an easy taper period just before the race. It's not that much. Good luck!

2016-01-16 8:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by exercisegirl

Thanks for the book suggestion. I am always looking for inspiring books to read. I am about to start reading 'Once a Runner'. It had great reviews.

I am in the middle of my training plan for a half marathon in February. I have about a month left. I always find my motivation to go down around this time in my plan. I am not sure why... Maybe it is the mounting fatigue, while still having a bunch of hard runs ahead? Does anyone else feel like this?

Lisa

I agree with Chris. Visualize yourself at the starting line, or better yet the finish line! Remind yourself of all of the hard work you've put into getting yourself to this point and that you don't have far to go. As for me, I also try to remind myself to trust my training and that I've prepared myself for that moment. I'm usually able to keep myself pretty calm on race day knowing all of the hard work I put in and just let myself enjoy the day. It might take a little mental effort to get yourself to commit to those last workouts. But imagine how you'll feel toeing the line knowing you've done your best to prepare yourself for success! Good luck and hang in there!

Edited by rjchilds8 2016-01-16 8:53 PM
2016-01-17 4:19 PM

User image

This is labeled as an Xterra race, but from what I can tell the mountain bike leg isn't very technical/demanding. Take a look at the video at this link (http://mramultisport.com/ra/?page=event_details&actname=xterra-french-river). If you skip to the 2:30 mark or so of the video, you can see them riding on what look like pretty well maintained trails. I've watched some of the Xterra videos on youtube and I know what you're saying. I see people falling all over the place, including what looks like nearly falling down a mountain side! This wouldn't be anything that extreme. It just looks like a fun, off-road triathlon.

I checked out that video, and you're right--the bike doesn't look too technically demanding. Some single track with some dirt road and plenty of room for passing. The off-road race I do in July is all single track--once we get off the pavement and to the park area--so if someone wants to pass, we have to stop and get completely off the trail. I think it's a bit more technical, too, with lots of sharp turns and low-hanging branches, usually at the same time. However, the run part is on paved path. I'm not sure I'd want to run through a river in my good running shoes! Maybe pull out an old pair for your race. But, it looks like a lot of fun, and if I could find a nearby Xterra like that one, I would definitely give it a try!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Rss Feed  

of 24

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22389 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 22, 2009
author : Ali Winslow
comments : 0
Is it realistic to race a sprint and Olympic distance race within 2-3 weeks of one another to gauge my progress before tackling the half Ironman?

date : December 4, 2008
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 5
I really want to do an Olympic distance but I feel it is a little too far right now. Which training plan should I follow? The sprint sounds too easy for what I'm doing but the Olympic seems too much?
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : September 10, 2004
History of the triathlon and distances.

date : September 5, 2004
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.