BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj and Meulen's VO2 to the max any distance group!!!-OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-02-18 2:41 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Quito, Pichincha
Subject: RE: Kenj and Meulen's VO2 to the max any distance group!!!-OPEN
Hello..!

My name is Manuel, 53 years old triatlhon lover from Ecuador South America. I have been involved in this sport after a lot of years running from 10k to marathons. After a plantar faciitis, two years ago, started swimming a riding my bike..... until I fell in love with triatlon.
Last year, (August 9th.) I participated in the first Ironman 70.3 in my country and now I am training for the next that will be on July 31st.

So, that is the reason, I would like to be part of this goup under you direction.
Would great appreciate if you can accept me as a new member.

Kind regards,
Manuel

2016-02-18 3:29 PM
in reply to: Manraque

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by Manraque

Hello..!

My name is Manuel, 53 years old triatlhon lover from Ecuador South America. I have been involved in this sport after a lot of years running from 10k to marathons. After a plantar faciitis, two years ago, started swimming a riding my bike..... until I fell in love with triatlon.
Last year, (August 9th.) I participated in the first Ironman 70.3 in my country and now I am training for the next that will be on July 31st.

So, that is the reason, I would like to be part of this goup under you direction.
Would great appreciate if you can accept me as a new member.

Kind regards,
Manuel

welcome to the group Manual. Glad you can join us! Ecuador, wow! I hear good things!!! I know that plantar fasciitis struggle all to well. Hope everything is good now.

2016-02-18 3:39 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
So lets do a little exercise.

What do you do for a living? and how does it help or hurt your triathlon efforts

Me...
I'm a global equities securities trader

It helps me:
1. pays the bills
2. leaves me with weekends off for longer training days
3 Lots of vacation time

hurts
1. I sit on my butt too much during the day
2. Sometimes compromises my sleep as I work global hours
3. Can be mentally draining
4. Morning are too early to get early workout sessions in
2016-02-19 11:11 AM
in reply to: Manraque

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by Manraque Hello..! My name is Manuel, 53 years old triatlhon lover from Ecuador South America. I have been involved in this sport after a lot of years running from 10k to marathons. After a plantar faciitis, two years ago, started swimming a riding my bike..... until I fell in love with triatlon. Last year, (August 9th.) I participated in the first Ironman 70.3 in my country and now I am training for the next that will be on July 31st. So, that is the reason, I would like to be part of this goup under you direction. Would great appreciate if you can accept me as a new member. Kind regards, Manuel

welcome to the group Manuel!

What race will you be doing in July?

2016-02-20 6:15 AM

Okay, I've come to my senses a little bit...Instead of trying to do the half iron (and possibly get injured in ramping up too quickly), I have decided to do the 5i50 (Olympic) distance instead. I think at this point, it is a little more reasonable and there is less chance of getting hurt and a better chance of finishing!
2016-02-23 10:30 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
OK.... so no one wanted to bite on the "what do you do for a living" thing !! lol

anyway, lets try something simpler

What's one thing you struggle with in training?

Me...I just had this conversation with KenJ!! I really struggle with my sinuses. Especially in the winter and at the seasons changes. Swimming in the indoor pool agrevates it too. I have to take care to take steps to minimize my chances of getting sick during those times of year.

2016-02-23 12:20 PM

User image

Gold member
Willing to bite .... just carazay busy :-).

Me....

My background in Nursing (MSN)...

It helps me:
1. Pay the bills.
2. Weekends and Holidays Off
3. 5+ weeks of vacation a year

copycat I am

In addition:
1. Decent understanding of nutrition
2. Knowing that healing takes time and you have to be patient (even though I don't want to be).

Hurts:
1. Same - Now administrative, so I force myself to get up and go for walks to keep from sitting all day at a computer
2. Same - Mornings are early - Will be a complete restructuring of life as I know it when I start training twice a day early June
3. Same - Mentally draining as well
4. Work is such an inconvenience and gets in the way of training :-)
2016-02-23 12:23 PM

User image

Gold member
I struggle with motivation or having the energy without feeling horrible ... I am motivated, but being the age I am ... my sleep is disrupted a number of times a night and is a crap-shoot whether I will get a decent night's rest or not. I am one of those who function optimally at 8 hours, 7 is okay, anything less than that is a disaster and depletes me of energy.
2016-02-23 1:09 PM
in reply to: BlackHillsRN

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by BlackHillsRN

I struggle with motivation or having the energy without feeling horrible ... I am motivated, but being the age I am ... my sleep is disrupted a number of times a night and is a crap-shoot whether I will get a decent night's rest or not. I am one of those who function optimally at 8 hours, 7 is okay, anything less than that is a disaster and depletes me of energy.

sleep is SUPER important!! Then, I'm sure you know that. Some things that help is Meditation, some Chamomile tea, or just generally shutting it down and letting the mind unwind before you go to bed
2016-02-23 3:24 PM

User image

Gold member
So, 5 glasses of wine doesn't help? Just kidding. I actually do have one glass of red wine most evenings and try to have a "routine." I think the new beau kinda has thrown a monkey wrench into the mix, albeit he is very supportive and understanding. But, there is a certain "unrest" in a new relationship. Better now than the first part of May.

Ya, years from now (hypothetically)... I will say, "Ya, good thing we met in January because had it been May, it never would have happened." LOL
2016-02-24 5:58 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by BlackHillsRN So, 5 glasses of wine doesn't help? Just kidding. I actually do have one glass of red wine most evenings and try to have a "routine." I think the new beau kinda has thrown a monkey wrench into the mix, albeit he is very supportive and understanding. But, there is a certain "unrest" in a new relationship. Better now than the first part of May. Ya, years from now (hypothetically)... I will say, "Ya, good thing we met in January because had it been May, it never would have happened." LOL

When you get your training volume up the sleep will come a bit easier, might make getting up in the morning challenging though!  But I find if you get on a set schedule that is easier too.

2016-02-24 6:03 AM
in reply to: kenj

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I have 2 challenges with my training.  First, I travel a lot and in addition to that, in order to avoid winter I spend the first 3 months of the year living in an RV in Florida.  So I spend a lot of time on hotel treadmills, but I get to run outside most of the time when I am not on the road.  Bike workouts get piled up on the weekends, and it gets easy to get out of the swim habit.  Especially for me, who doesn't like to swim much.  (actually I don't mind the swim, especially in the lake, its the idea of getting out in the cold early morning and finding a pool).

The other challenge is my job, as the CEO of a fast growing company, (we are in trucking and logistics) my days are unpredictable.  I always strive to get my workout in early, but when it gets to a point of needing 2 a days, its 50/50 on the second workout.  My coach and I will discuss which is the priority and I will make sure that is the morning one.

2016-02-24 7:37 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by kenj

I have 2 challenges with my training.  First, I travel a lot and in addition to that, in order to avoid winter I spend the first 3 months of the year living in an RV in Florida.  So I spend a lot of time on hotel treadmills, but I get to run outside most of the time when I am not on the road.  Bike workouts get piled up on the weekends, and it gets easy to get out of the swim habit.  Especially for me, who doesn't like to swim much.  (actually I don't mind the swim, especially in the lake, its the idea of getting out in the cold early morning and finding a pool).

The other challenge is my job, as the CEO of a fast growing company, (we are in trucking and logistics) my days are unpredictable.  I always strive to get my workout in early, but when it gets to a point of needing 2 a days, its 50/50 on the second workout.  My coach and I will discuss which is the priority and I will make sure that is the morning one.

I always admire your logs here on BT!!! just because, I know what you do, how much you are traveling and how busy you are!! It always amazes me how much you still get in.

One point I'll make on planning, that your dilema has brought to my attention, when you plan your workout week its a good idea to flag 3-6 workouts as "very important" One bike, one swim, and one run should be focused on specific objectives according to your periodization schedule. Then, a close second is your long run, long bike, and long swim workout. You don't necessarily have to flag these long workouts, but at least flag the other 3 as "must do's"!!! However, keep in mind, as you get closer to the race those long workouts become more and more important though to cover the distance. The rest of your workouts can be scheduled around these as ways to up run/bike mileage, keep up your Chronic Training Load, and acclimate to transitions of swim/bike and bike/run.

Edited by Meulen 2016-02-24 7:43 AM
2016-02-24 8:57 PM

User image

Gold member
So, you can't just create a "new" message in this thread? A person needs to reply to something correct?

Well, I think water slides at community pools should be outlawed.

The pool I swim at after work has a water slide. When they turn it on, it literally creates a current in the lap lane. It is great going one way, but like swimming against the current (literally) the return portion. Very annoying when trying to do some warm-up kicking and getting no where ...seriously ... I had to stop the kick warm-up because I was basically staying in the same spot.

The good news is I found out the "punches" I was purchasing were/are for the entire facility, which means I can hop on a stationary bike straight from the pool and then a treadmill too :-). A mini triathlon. Only thing, there is no guarantee that they will be available at the time I need them.
2016-02-29 8:39 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Everyone get in some solid training this weekend?

HAPPY MONDAY!!
2016-02-29 9:36 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Long run Saturday and a medium run this morning.  Couple hours on the trainer yesterday as well.  Still can't remember where the pool went. 

2016-02-29 12:24 PM

User image

Gold member
Under Training vs. Over Training

I am looking at training plans. I hope to do an Olympic Tri Aug 27 and a HIM Oct 30 with some sprints in there ... backing off in August other than the Olympic.

As I research plans, I am finding that I am putting in more time now than any of the plans begin with and I really don't want to back off. With that said, I do realize that the plans vary, hence perhaps I should do the same and allow for some recovery or what have you.

In the fantasy world, I would now be doing a Sprint Training Plan and just prior to the first sprint (May 1) start the Olympic training plan, then pick up the HIM plan about 8 weeks before the Olympic Tri. Basically, trying to merge these all together as not to regress at any point. Perhaps there will be a few repeat weeks to bridge between plans and not back off on training.

Ideas?
2016-02-29 12:35 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by BlackHillsRN

Under Training vs. Over Training

I am looking at training plans. I hope to do an Olympic Tri Aug 27 and a HIM Oct 30 with some sprints in there ... backing off in August other than the Olympic.

As I research plans, I am finding that I am putting in more time now than any of the plans begin with and I really don't want to back off. With that said, I do realize that the plans vary, hence perhaps I should do the same and allow for some recovery or what have you.

In the fantasy world, I would now be doing a Sprint Training Plan and just prior to the first sprint (May 1) start the Olympic training plan, then pick up the HIM plan about 8 weeks before the Olympic Tri. Basically, trying to merge these all together as not to regress at any point. Perhaps there will be a few repeat weeks to bridge between plans and not back off on training.

Ideas?

Pick your "A" race and focus on that. If your already training more than the sprint plan, putting a sprint into the HIM plan should be easy. You just train through the race and realize it won't be your best sprint. There are ups and downs in training plans though. Typically you'll see 2-3 weeks build than a step back week. Those step backs can be used to do testing to find pacing, like 5k's/FTP tests/and 1000m swim tests, or some comparable threshold work. It's ok to follow those, and usually more productive than just a steady constant workout routine with the same volume over and over.
2016-06-06 4:33 PM

Luskville, Quebec
Hello folks,

I hope is not tooooo late to join the group =D

My name is Alex, I'm 38, computer eng., who lives in Canada, married, got 2 girls... and I decided to change my life 6 years ago...

So, long story short... I was an unhappy drunk pig with 140kg, who was always on an endless hangover... by drinking or eating too much, when not both... some day I decided it was enough, I searched a doctor looking for help, and the guy told me I was a morbid obese and asked me to gain +5kg to justify an operation, cause reduce that weight would be impossible... well, I needed to prove him and everyone else were wrong... and I started to chase the guy I was 20years ago, when I stopped TRI to study, work, etc....

Well, I started with MTB, then running, then both, then swimming, then roadbiking, then i found my happiness once again, then I freaked out... when I'm running, i'd like to be swimming, when I'm swimming, I'd like to be biking, when Im biking, i'd like to be running.... in an endless glorious loop. =D

I started with a 5km race, then I got 5 half Marathons including a hypothermic half (yeah, that was... stupid, hehehehe) and finally, just got my 1st full Marathon. I swim weekdays, run almost everyday, sometimes twice a day... not biking yet tho'...

I got a few more races for this year, but maybe, I'd like to try a TRI at least... don't know yet...

Cheers,

Alex

PS. If you're wondering about my weight problem, yeah, they were wrong... dont care about this anymore, just wanna go further, longer, and FASTER!!!
2016-06-07 4:50 AM
in reply to: amarcon

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Hi Alex,

Congratulations on turning things around and proving the doctor wrong! 

We were one of the last groups to go live and didn't get a lot of interest.  I am willing to stay active though if we want to keep the conversation going.

Do you have any thoughts on a race you would like to start out with?

2016-06-07 8:57 AM

Luskville, Quebec
Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot, really appreciated...

So, there are 2 races that i really would like to try... an XTERRA cause i love MTB and a "regular" one... but i really don't know which.. i mean, the length...

Silly question; I got really hooked on running, and last summer I trained hard for a half Mar. in Sept... one of the things that I "added" was biking... road and MTB... that REALLY helped me out... so, if I'm training for a TRI race, I'm "improving" my running races/paces? Not sure I was clear... I'm asking cause I have the same half in Sept, and another Full in October...

Once again, thanks a lot!

Cheers guys,

Alex

2016-06-07 1:16 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by amarcon

Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot, really appreciated...

So, there are 2 races that i really would like to try... an XTERRA cause i love MTB and a "regular" one... but i really don't know which.. i mean, the length...

Silly question; I got really hooked on running, and last summer I trained hard for a half Mar. in Sept... one of the things that I "added" was biking... road and MTB... that REALLY helped me out... so, if I'm training for a TRI race, I'm "improving" my running races/paces? Not sure I was clear... I'm asking cause I have the same half in Sept, and another Full in October...

Once again, thanks a lot!

Cheers guys,

Alex

Hi Alex,

what Ken said about the group. There wasn't much interest so kinda fell by the wayside. But, I'd be glad to come in and help out in any way I can also.

Xterra's are fun!! If you're already a good mtb'er and can run a half marathon you'd be fine with either of the distances they offer. It's a different kind of training though. Theres a lot of focus on sharp and short hills. So the more you can mimic the actual course you'll race on the better.
2016-06-07 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by amarcon Hi Ken, Thanks a lot, really appreciated... So, there are 2 races that i really would like to try... an XTERRA cause i love MTB and a "regular" one... but i really don't know which.. i mean, the length... Silly question; I got really hooked on running, and last summer I trained hard for a half Mar. in Sept... one of the things that I "added" was biking... road and MTB... that REALLY helped me out... so, if I'm training for a TRI race, I'm "improving" my running races/paces? Not sure I was clear... I'm asking cause I have the same half in Sept, and another Full in October... Once again, thanks a lot! Cheers guys, Alex

In my opinion all but the super competitive runners will improve doing tri training.  The fitness crossover from the bike helps the run to a certain point and the swimming is good recovery as it isn't as taxing on the legs.  Consistent training balanced between the disciplines will provide benefits to stand alone run racing until you get to a certain level with performance and at that point where you are trying to jump into a more competitive situation you kind of need a more run focused higher mileage program. 

2016-06-07 4:02 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by kenj

Originally posted by amarcon Hi Ken, Thanks a lot, really appreciated... So, there are 2 races that i really would like to try... an XTERRA cause i love MTB and a "regular" one... but i really don't know which.. i mean, the length... Silly question; I got really hooked on running, and last summer I trained hard for a half Mar. in Sept... one of the things that I "added" was biking... road and MTB... that REALLY helped me out... so, if I'm training for a TRI race, I'm "improving" my running races/paces? Not sure I was clear... I'm asking cause I have the same half in Sept, and another Full in October... Once again, thanks a lot! Cheers guys, Alex

In my opinion all but the super competitive runners will improve doing tri training.  The fitness crossover from the bike helps the run to a certain point and the swimming is good recovery as it isn't as taxing on the legs.  Consistent training balanced between the disciplines will provide benefits to stand alone run racing until you get to a certain level with performance and at that point where you are trying to jump into a more competitive situation you kind of need a more run focused higher mileage program. 

completely agree. I usually make sure my run plan is 4 days a week leading up to running races, but sometimes bring it down to 3 leading up to tri's, depending on the timing and race importance of course. Also, keep in mind the dirt/road crossover. What I mean is, a good mtb'er/trail runner can be a solid road cyclist/road runner. But, not necessarily the other way around. As you develop a certain type of skills on the dirt you don't get on the road. So keep that in mind as you make your training choices
2016-06-07 4:05 PM

Luskville, Quebec
Oh right guys, thank you very much.

Well, will stay focused and keep training hard... lets see how it goes, like I said, I'd like to get at least 1 Xterra done this year... just to feel the taste of it and the other runs that i already signed up for...

Regarding the training, i'll be honest... I have some running plans and the McMillan calculator to "guide" me... but I don't have anything regarding swimming... I've been mostly swimming crawl or chest, with/without a floater, no legs at all ( i know, shame on me, I hate it lol )

If you guys have any swimming plan/workout to point me to... that would be GREAT.

Thank you very much guys.

Cheers,

Alex
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj and Meulen's VO2 to the max any distance group!!!-OPEN Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Dominion
Views: 27559 Posts: 577

2017-01-07 6:20 PM nrpoulin

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22388 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.