BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj and Meulen's VO2 to the max any distance group!!!-OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2016-06-16 2:02 PM
in reply to: kenj

Luskville, Quebec
Subject: RE: Hitting the Wall
I don't know to be honest... i was taking it at some point few years back... I thought i got some pounds cause of that... maybe i wasnt working as hard as now, or maybe my overall food back there, plus whey!?

You know what I mean? Maybe that's just me, afraid to roller coast back?

2016-06-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: amarcon

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Kenj and Meulen's VO2 to the max any distance group!!!-OPEN
Originally posted by amarcon

Hey guys...

oh Brian sorry to hear, hope everything is fine and it's nothing serious...

Yeah, beat age group... i would love to be chasing that.... well, some day =D

You know, there's just a few months that I've been swimming 3x-5x week, lunch hour... 20' to 30' max...unfortunately, but, that's what i have, eh? ... I can see some "improve" but honestly, the only thing that comes to my mind is... what's going be from 1 year from now.... 2 years from now....

Well... " .. It's gonna take time
A whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, um
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right child ..."

keep at it!!! What you have is fine. The frequency is even better when it comes to swimming as long as you are re-enforcing good habits when you swim. Sometimes, swimming longer and tired can even be inhibitive. So much of swimming is form, and muscle memory to repeat that form over and over.

You can do some testing every 3-6 weeks to keep track of improvement. I usually have my athletes do 5k, a 1000m swim test, and an FTP test every 3-6 weeks
2016-06-16 2:10 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by amarcon

I don't know to be honest... i was taking it at some point few years back... I thought i got some pounds cause of that... maybe i wasnt working as hard as now, or maybe my overall food back there, plus whey!?

You know what I mean? Maybe that's just me, afraid to roller coast back?

I hear you! I'm a former "fat kid" myself. Don't want to go back!! Whey will be fine. Use a low sugar whey after your workouts. Higher protein levels in general will help you lose the body fat and build or maintain the muscle!! You don't want to lose muscle so get plenty of protein!!
2016-06-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by amarcon I don't know to be honest... i was taking it at some point few years back... I thought i got some pounds cause of that... maybe i wasnt working as hard as now, or maybe my overall food back there, plus whey!? You know what I mean? Maybe that's just me, afraid to roller coast back?

That's fine, I get that as a former (some days still) heavy weight!  The way I took your statement was that it was one of the body building supplements designed to pack on muscle or something.  Since I usually work out first thing, I will use a scoop with almond milk for breakfast post workout.  About 200 calories and a loaded with protein, then for a snack I will have a couple hard boiled eggs on harder workout days. 

I try to keep the carb count down under 35 - 40 net carbs.   Somedays I am more successful than others. 

ETA: Even when my weight is good, if I am up in carb count I can feel the bloat and feel heavy especially on the run.

Edited by kenj 2016-06-16 2:15 PM
2016-06-16 2:31 PM
in reply to: Meulen

User image

Gold member
So, true... the longer distance I swim I get fatigued and have to focus on form. I really can't shorten time/distance, but really do have to focus on form.
2016-06-16 2:31 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by kenj

Originally posted by amarcon I don't know to be honest... i was taking it at some point few years back... I thought i got some pounds cause of that... maybe i wasnt working as hard as now, or maybe my overall food back there, plus whey!? You know what I mean? Maybe that's just me, afraid to roller coast back?

That's fine, I get that as a former (some days still) heavy weight!  The way I took your statement was that it was one of the body building supplements designed to pack on muscle or something.  Since I usually work out first thing, I will use a scoop with almond milk for breakfast post workout.  About 200 calories and a loaded with protein, then for a snack I will have a couple hard boiled eggs on harder workout days. 

I try to keep the carb count down under 35 - 40 net carbs.   Somedays I am more successful than others. 

ETA: Even when my weight is good, if I am up in carb count I can feel the bloat and feel heavy especially on the run.

I like to look at as hunger management. Ken's plan is perfect. You get the fast acting whey right after workout when your body needs it to repair and build muscle. Then that snack with eggs later contains casein protein. That's a slow acting protein that helps repair and build muscle further during the day. Doing this, consequently, helps curb feelings of hunger and makes it easier to maintain your diet and stay away from tempting sugar/carbs.

2016-06-16 2:33 PM

User image

Gold member
I still think there should be a like button
2016-06-16 2:46 PM
in reply to: BlackHillsRN

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by BlackHillsRN

I still think there should be a like button

haha! Dietary stuff is a very tough subject. For some it's easy and simple calorie counting works fine. But for sooooo many it's more than that! Especially, those that have struggled with weight in the past. Then, a calorie is not a calorie. Your body tries to revert back, and you can experience an insulin resistance making it hard to lose those problem areas. At that point you have pull out every trick in the book to try and tell your body it's not hungry, it doesn't need bad food!!!
2016-06-20 9:51 AM

Luskville, Quebec
Hello folks,

How are you guys? How was the weekend?

Came back yesterday from Mount Snow, VT.... and as of Saturday, I'M A TOUGH MUDDER!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, i know i know... im still over excited.... i gotta share this, it was freaking outstanding... the whole energy around, people helping and supporting people... overcoming those creepy obstacles... just priceless.... and also, I was "scared" to realize how much I could endure though this, we climbed that ski hill about 4/5 times up/down + the crazy obstacles.... the mountain beat many people of all ages and sizes... impressive!!!

Gotta do it again next year =D

As of this week, lets keep going....

Cheers, have a great week u all!!

Alex
2016-06-20 10:28 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by amarcon Hello folks, How are you guys? How was the weekend? Came back yesterday from Mount Snow, VT.... and as of Saturday, I'M A TOUGH MUDDER!!! ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, i know i know... im still over excited.... i gotta share this, it was freaking outstanding... the whole energy around, people helping and supporting people... overcoming those creepy obstacles... just priceless.... and also, I was "scared" to realize how much I could endure though this, we climbed that ski hill about 4/5 times up/down + the crazy obstacles.... the mountain beat many people of all ages and sizes... impressive!!! Gotta do it again next year =D As of this week, lets keep going.... Cheers, have a great week u all!! Alex

Nice work Alex!!!

Congratulations! 

2016-06-20 11:02 AM

User image

Gold member
Subject: Injuries.
Way to go! That sounds like a lot of "fun."

However, not on my list yet :-).

A bit of a dilemma here as my ribs and the edge of the pool had a wrestling match. The pool won. I was able to get through Dakotaman this past weekend, but the other things that go with it (loading and unloading car/gear) is what made it bad.

Ice pack and wrapped ribs this morning. I have a Oly in 4 weeks. Trying to figure out how to keep upper body strength, short swims, and not further damage anything for the next three weeks.

It doesn't hurt biking or running, which is good and wasn't bad swimming until I overdid it yesterday. Good new is the HIM is in October :-).

The ICU/ED nurse manager gave me some suggestions, but if it hurts, don't do it, especially with ribs.

I welcome any other ideas.

2016-06-20 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Injuries.

Originally posted by BlackHillsRN Way to go! That sounds like a lot of "fun." However, not on my list yet :-). A bit of a dilemma here as my ribs and the edge of the pool had a wrestling match. The pool won. I was able to get through Dakotaman this past weekend, but the other things that go with it (loading and unloading car/gear) is what made it bad. Ice pack and wrapped ribs this morning. I have a Oly in 4 weeks. Trying to figure out how to keep upper body strength, short swims, and not further damage anything for the next three weeks. It doesn't hurt biking or running, which is good and wasn't bad swimming until I overdid it yesterday. Good new is the HIM is in October :-). The ICU/ED nurse manager gave me some suggestions, but if it hurts, don't do it, especially with ribs. I welcome any other ideas.

I would follow the advice of the nurse, but add this; if it doesn't hurt to bike or run but the swim aggravates it, a week off swimming won't set you back enough to matter over the course of the season.  Use the extra time to build some bike volume! Once you feel better maybe you can add an extra swim leading up to the OLY.

How did the race go otherwise?

2016-06-20 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Nice job on the tough mudder!!

BlackHillsRN, I would listen to the nurse. It may even feel better completely in 4 weeks if you don't re-injure. If it doesn't hurt to bike run, concentrate on that!!

2016-06-20 11:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Fun weekend here! Weather was incredible. took the group out Saturday for 10 mile run and Sunday for 75 mile bike and 3 mile run. Muncie 70.3 coming up quick!!!
2016-06-20 11:50 AM

User image

Gold member
The race went well ...

It was an open water swim and they had us old folks as one of the first waves, so the younger ones started stomping on us. It was dog-eat-dog in the water, but I survived it and it was good experience for me.

I can definitely see where increasing my bike training would be useful, albeit do bike three times a week. But, that is where many people passed me. I am not really thinking of competing with others, but it definitely shows what I need to work on.

I would like to do better on the run too. The run was okay, a bit slow for me even. The temps were starting to creep up and my ribs were really complaining. I walked a few times (up the hills) and made sure to walk through each water stop to get enough water.

Overall, I enjoyed it and chalked it up for some good experience. I am glad it is a month until the next race.

I think I am going to follow your advise and take a week off from swimming. I can do some upper body strength training in its stead to at least help maintain muscle. I'm going to reconsider my training schedule for the next week and maybe substitute one of the swims with biking and the other one with running. That will get me to next Monday. I should have foregone the swim this morning. I only went 600 yards and decided I was probably doing more damage than good.
2016-06-21 7:27 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by BlackHillsRN

The race went well ...

It was an open water swim and they had us old folks as one of the first waves, so the younger ones started stomping on us. It was dog-eat-dog in the water, but I survived it and it was good experience for me.

I can definitely see where increasing my bike training would be useful, albeit do bike three times a week. But, that is where many people passed me. I am not really thinking of competing with others, but it definitely shows what I need to work on.

I would like to do better on the run too. The run was okay, a bit slow for me even. The temps were starting to creep up and my ribs were really complaining. I walked a few times (up the hills) and made sure to walk through each water stop to get enough water.

Overall, I enjoyed it and chalked it up for some good experience. I am glad it is a month until the next race.

I think I am going to follow your advise and take a week off from swimming. I can do some upper body strength training in its stead to at least help maintain muscle. I'm going to reconsider my training schedule for the next week and maybe substitute one of the swims with biking and the other one with running. That will get me to next Monday. I should have foregone the swim this morning. I only went 600 yards and decided I was probably doing more damage than good.

You'll be fine with that week off swimming! Personally, I deal with A LOT of sinus issues, and avoiding the pool is pretty normal for me. I still work hard when I do go to the pool, concentrate on form and make sure I'm ready for distance before races. Before last night I hadn't been in the pool for a week, and my swimming has been spotty since winter. Five sinus infections since January will do that!! However, I still set a PR last night for 1000 TT swim!!!

Even still, that won't get me much! In an HIM that may save me less than 5 minutes in the water. There's much more time opportunity to make up working on the bike/run, ESPECIALLY, if one of those is your weakness!!!

2016-06-27 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
everyone have a good weekend? How did those races go???
2016-06-27 1:02 PM

User image

Gold member
A bit of a bumpy recovery. I think I am on the mend however. I took it easy on the run this morning, but my ribs seemed okay, not completely healed, but okay.

I might skip swimming this week as well and try next Monday and Tuesday. I travel over July 8 weekend, might find a pool. Then swim July 11, 12, maybe 14th with Oly being on the 16. I will be able to make the swim one way or another, just might not be my best.

In the mean time, if the wind would cooperate and quit trying to blow me off my bicycle, I could get some good training rides in. I know I can do it on my trainer at home, but I do prefer the rolling hills in this area.

Hope everyone's weekend of races went well.
2016-06-27 1:41 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

My Oly went ok, I am going to have to work a lot harder at the swim to ever be competitive at the shorter races.  I had a fair swim, in the sense that my pace was faster than my recent training my indicate.  I had the fastest bike split of my age group.  Then my IT band gave me some fits on the run so a 55 minute 10K. 

The important thing, I had fun! 

2016-06-27 1:52 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Originally posted by BlackHillsRN A bit of a bumpy recovery. I think I am on the mend however. I took it easy on the run this morning, but my ribs seemed okay, not completely healed, but okay. I might skip swimming this week as well and try next Monday and Tuesday. I travel over July 8 weekend, might find a pool. Then swim July 11, 12, maybe 14th with Oly being on the 16. I will be able to make the swim one way or another, just might not be my best. In the mean time, if the wind would cooperate and quit trying to blow me off my bicycle, I could get some good training rides in. I know I can do it on my trainer at home, but I do prefer the rolling hills in this area. Hope everyone's weekend of races went well.

Sounds like a good plan! 

2016-06-27 2:33 PM

Luskville, Quebec
Hey there...

Yeah, it was a good busy weekend... didn't have too much time for training.... but I got a fast MTB ride yesterday... needed to test-drive the fixes... =D

Got the brakes fixed, Bottom Bracket... so good to be back on the trails... my Strava didnt record my way back, it got just 21km so, i calculate double that, cause i returned through the same way + trail... 42~43km on 1:37... not sure, if this is good or not.... but i would say, it was a good, fun start...finally.

No swimming today =( 5 guys/Lane, all lanes... gave up as soon as I saw that.... =/ LOL!!!

Have a good week everyone.

Cheers,

AM

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Kenj and Meulen's VO2 to the max any distance group!!!-OPEN Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

Dominion's Sprint and Olympic Distance - OPEN !!! Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24

Started by Dominion
Views: 27555 Posts: 577

2017-01-07 6:20 PM nrpoulin

Baowolf's Create your Own Saga Triathlon Group (OPEN!!!) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Baowolf
Views: 22378 Posts: 223

2017-01-15 5:38 PM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.

date : December 31, 2006
author : sportfactory
Is there a point of diminishing returns? At some point, age catches up with us all. In general, as we age, VO2 max decreases, body fat increases, and muscular strength drops off.
date : September 3, 2005
Can you tell me how my LT and V02 max have not decreased after 8 months of absolutely no speedwork? I did very minimal running up until February 2005.