General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman is killing the Aquabike category Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-05 10:51 AM

New user
Germantown
Subject: Ironman is killing the Aquabike category
Last year, my major event for the year was the Full Vineman Aquabike (2.4 swim, 112 bike). It was a great event and a big personal challenge. I'm not interested in competing in an Ironman and this event was something perfect for me.

A few months ago, the event was taken over by Ironman and the Aquabike event was dropped. I was planning on doing it again in 2016 so this was a disappointment. I was instead planning on doing the Challenge Atlantic City Full Aquabike in June 2016. Now I learn that Ironman is putting an event in Atlantic City and the Challenge event has been cancelled. No more full aquabike for Atlantic City. Ironman did the same thing when they took over the ChesapeakeMan event in Maryland - end of the full aquabike there as well. I've done an Ironman 70.3 and they put on a nice event. But it's really frustrating for those who are looking for a full aquabike. There are just a handful of these around the country. Looks like I'm now going to try for the Great Floridian in October.

2016-01-05 12:11 PM
in reply to: gsiskind

User image

Expert
Bradenton, Florida
Subject: RE: Ironman is killing the Aquabike category
Ironman killed the Clydesdale and Athena categories a few years back as well. The message I'm getting is that if you're not a 220 pound or less athlete that can swim, bike, AND run, you do not fit their image of an Ironman, so they have nothing for you.
2016-01-05 12:44 PM

At times I believe WTC has 2 goals: 1) raising entry fees & 2) getting rid of any multisport event that is not a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike & 26.2 mile run owed by WTC.
2016-01-05 1:10 PM
in reply to: cwpeters

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by cwpeters

Ironman killed the Clydesdale and Athena categories a few years back as well. The message I'm getting is that if you're not a 220 pound or less athlete that can swim, bike, AND run, you do not fit their image of an Ironman, so they have nothing for you.

honestly the Clydesdale and Athena category does not make much sense anyway. Anyone who would race in that category is not having anything taken away from them. they can still do the same exact race as everyone else.

As for the Aquabike, it is a shame that they eliminate it. I have done on myself when I was injured and could not run, not at that distance though. I do understand them eliminating it, it's a very small event and adds more logistics for less than 1% of the participants. However you can still find Aquabike events at the Oly distance.
2016-01-05 1:39 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro

You could always sign up for any full you want and then DNF in T2.  You don't get the "glory" or tee shirt, or whatever but you can still do the aqua-bike.

2016-01-05 3:39 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Check out the Rev3 series of races, most locations have an Aqua Bike option.

The one I looked at (Cedar Point, Ohio) had a full aquabike, half aquabike, and a sprint aquabike.

2016-01-05 3:42 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by mike761

honestly the Clydesdale and Athena category does not make much sense anyway. Anyone who would race in that category is not having anything taken away from them. they can still do the same exact race as everyone else.

As for the Aquabike, it is a shame that they eliminate it. I have done on myself when I was injured and could not run, not at that distance though. I do understand them eliminating it, it's a very small event and adds more logistics for less than 1% of the participants. However you can still find Aquabike events at the Oly distance.

Numbers are small, but I don't see any logistics issues. I've done them in the past, you get to T2, and run through the finish line. Just another category for the results, usually no awards.
2016-01-05 10:00 PM
in reply to: Swimbikeron

New user
Germantown
Thanks. That's a possibility. Might also look at the full aquabike at the Great Floridian in central Florida in October which has good reviews.
2016-01-05 10:02 PM

New user
Germantown
At the Vineman, there were a few hundred doing the full aquabike. Could also just walk most of the marathon. I finished the aquabike early enough to have had enough time for that.
2016-01-06 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by gsiskind

Thanks. That's a possibility. Might also look at the full aquabike at the Great Floridian in central Florida in October which has good reviews.

If you're from Germantown, WI, the bummer is that they cancelled the REV3 race they held in Wisconsin Dells for a few years, that was my favorite venue, swim in the Tommy Bartlett area, nice bike route, finish at Noah's Ark Waterpark.
2016-01-06 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
After being hit by a car that required a full hip replacement my doctor is working me through the one and only IM he will let me do, which is later this year. My plan after that was the Aqua/Bike since neither discipline is tough on the hip. I guess I will have to miss the pleasure of giving money to WTC.

HITS still does a Full Aqua/Bike if one of those is close. You may want to check them out.

2016-01-08 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Swimbikeron

Originally posted by mike761

Numbers are small, but I don't see any logistics issues. I've done them in the past, you get to T2, and run through the finish line. Just another category for the results, usually no awards.

Really??? I think it takes a LOT for a bigger person to do these races and what is the harm in acknowledging that? Maybe they don't look as good in the Awards pictures??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ironman is killing the Aquabike category Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Triathlete training for Ironman Arizona killed while cycling Pages: 1 2

Started by ayabrea
Views: 4605 Posts: 26

2012-10-23 9:41 AM dcomiskey

Ironman Category Count

Started by islandertek
Views: 865 Posts: 6

2010-02-03 12:43 AM islandertek

Finally I am an Ironman too!

Started by Plissken74
Views: 1853 Posts: 23

2008-09-11 10:28 AM mattajw

SC 1/2 IronMan I AM IN!

Started by jamesehatcher
Views: 833 Posts: 2

2007-06-22 2:43 PM SuzanneS

Am I underestimating the Half Ironman?

Started by runnerx
Views: 1458 Posts: 12

2004-06-19 9:55 AM owie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.