General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Limiting rear derailleur travel, eliminate smallest cog? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-06 4:17 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: Limiting rear derailleur travel, eliminate smallest cog?

I was lucky enough to have received a Vector S power meter (single pedal power reading that is doubled) early for Christmas and have been riding with it on the trainer for the last month or so.  I know my left leg is weaker than my right due to a hamstring injury I've been recovering from for too many months, have read many posts that discuss the pros and cons of a single leg PM system and paid special attention to the discussion of each leg (especially if one is weaker) tiring at different rates and having a significant impact on the power you see.  This last point I've come to believe in as I've been using the Vector S over the last month.

I looked into getting the right side pedal as an upgrade to make it a R/L power meter system.  Unfortunately, on the right side it requires a clearance of 5 mm between the crank arm and chain when on the largest chainring and smallest cog in the rear.  Mine measures only 3 mm so that is a problem.  I found that I can adjust my derailleur travel such that it will prevent the chain from dropping onto the smallest cog and thus providing the necessary 5 mm clearance.  I'm wondering if there is any downside to this (other than losing the smallest cog which I'm not strong enough to really get much use out of) or mechanical issues it could cause.  Seems like a simple fix, but worried that "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

2016-01-08 1:56 PM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Limiting rear derailleur travel, eliminate smallest cog?
Have you tried removing the left pedal and installing it on the right side to see if it might clear any way? It would be a simple pedal swap to check the actual clearance.
2016-01-08 3:41 PM
in reply to: mdg2003

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by mdg2003 Have you tried removing the left pedal and installing it on the right side to see if it might clear any way? It would be a simple pedal swap to check the actual clearance.

No can do. One of them is left-hand threaded, so you can't just swap them side-to-side.

2016-01-08 6:37 PM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Pro
Tejas
Originally posted by briderdt

Originally posted by mdg2003 Have you tried removing the left pedal and installing it on the right side to see if it might clear any way? It would be a simple pedal swap to check the actual clearance.

No can do. One of them is left-hand threaded, so you can't just swap them side-to-side.

Doh!!

2016-01-08 6:58 PM

User image

Pro
Tejas
Stack a feeler gage to measure exactly how far the spindle/rubber cap extends from your crank arm. Take that stack and see if it will fit between your chain and crank on the right side without rubbing. You might be able to get away with less than 5 mm. Also make sure your FD is feathered and not swung over further than needed. I just checked mine and it was rubbing until I feathered the FD.
2016-01-08 7:18 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I did measure the rubber cap width from the crank arm and it was ~4mm.  The distance from my chain to the crank when in the proper position is ~3mm.  Moving the chain up to the next-to-smallest cog gives me a full 5+mm, so I'm sure it'll work if I go that route.  I just want to make sure that I'm not missing something that will bite me on the butt later if I go that way.  Seems to pedal smoothly on the bike stand

2016-01-10 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley
I've got a technical solution, but it's not a complete solution.

Since you are using the bike in indoor training mode for the next 2-3 months, you could get the 5 mm clearance on the drive side by removing the inner chain ring and mounting the outer chain ring to the inside of the spider. This means you would need to buy chain ring bolts (readily available and inexpensive) for a single speed chain ring, as well as setting the outer limit screw / shift cable tension so the front derailleur does not guide the chain off the ring. This should give plenty of clearance. When outdoor riding begins, undo everything. Switching configurations is a downside if you want to use the trainer one day and ride outdoors the next.

The other solution is to buy a good used aluminum bike on Craig'slist or E-bay, dedicate it to indoor training, and use your race bike (with single pedal PM) for outdoor rides.
2016-01-10 3:38 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
search google "bottom bracket spacers"
2016-01-13 8:06 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Originally posted by Leegoocrap search google "bottom bracket spacers"
Thanks!  Looks like a possible solution that means no loss of gearing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Limiting rear derailleur travel, eliminate smallest cog? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

changing rear cassette to less cogs?

Started by sczarnecki
Views: 1002 Posts: 8

2011-08-19 6:43 AM audiojan

Search Complete, Still Can't get Rear Derailleur Working

Started by kmill23
Views: 733 Posts: 5

2008-10-24 2:33 PM kmill23

Stadler's Rear Derailleur

Started by PeterAK
Views: 699 Posts: 2

2007-02-24 12:10 PM JohnnyKay

Replacing Rear Derailleur on Kmart blue-light special bike

Started by oceanannie
Views: 821 Posts: 3

2006-04-25 6:22 AM run4yrlif

Rear Derailleur upgrade?

Started by apw0397
Views: 1173 Posts: 7

2006-04-12 2:35 PM the bear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 13, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
When I switch one wheelset for another, the rear derailleur needs to be adjusted because the rear wheel on each holds the cassette in a different position. Where do I start?