General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Different HR question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-12 9:21 PM

Subject: Different HR question
Hi all,
I'm 57. Started running 3 years ago. All of my run training was pretty much RPE or using the HR monitors on treadmills. I have gotten to the point where I can run a 10K in under 54 minutes, which is good for me. I try to mix up my workouts and paces. (long runs, intervals, etc) So I do try to make some runs easy, and some hard.

OK, so here is my situation. I got a nice HR monitor for Christmas and began using it. The problem is, if I want to use it and stay lets say in zone 2 per a training plan, I am running incredibly slow. I can run 4 miles at 6.9 mph and not feel like I killed myself doing it. On Sunday, when I ran with the HR monitor, I could not get over 6.0 mph and stay under 146/minute. My max is close to 167.

So.....has anyone else seen this? Have I been over training and abusing my heart for 3 years? I know that when I finish a 10K, I'm at 160 for probably the last 2 miles, but isn't an actual race to supposed to be really hard?

Should I train with the monitor and adhere to it? I feel like I will lose all my speed (if you can call what I do at 57 yrs old speed) and fitness. Not sure what to do!

Would love to hear some wisdom. Thanks everyone!
Barry

2016-01-12 9:28 PM
in reply to: Burchib

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Different HR question

How do you know 167 is your max?  That may be your problem right there, you can't set your zones without good data.

2016-01-12 9:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Assuming that you are healthy, cleared for training by your Dr etc...
Going hard in races and training is not "abusing your heart". (However, if you go too hard, too early there is an increased risk of injury to other body parts.)

A heart rate monitor is a tool to provide an indication of effort and help you follow a training plan. It's not a safety device for keeping you from crossing into some unsafe red-zone. There are reasons for running in zone 2 but there are also reasons for running at higher intensity. Your own training will depend on (among other things) your level of experience, your goals and the plan that you are following.

Information on how to use a heart rate monitor for training can be found in books and on web sites. I don't really feel qualified to provide much in the way of recommendations.
Don
2016-01-13 8:26 AM
in reply to: donw

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Barry, what you are seeing may be just fine, as pointed out above you won't know unless you do appropriate testing to establish heart rate zones.  If you are saying your max is HR is 167 based on just what you've seen since running with your HRM, then calculating your HR based on that you likely will not have an accurate set of zones.  Take a look at this article http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633 here on BT that is a good discussion of this and provides a good protocol for testing yourself to establish zones.

2016-01-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by TTom

Barry, what you are seeing may be just fine, as pointed out above you won't know unless you do appropriate testing to establish heart rate zones. If you are saying your max is HR is 167 based on just what you've seen since running with your HRM, then calculating your HR based on that you likely will not have an accurate set of zones. Take a look at this article http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633 here on BT that is a good discussion of this and provides a good protocol for testing yourself to establish zones.

X2 on what Tom stated.  The Q&A link on that page takes you to this huge thread on HR.

LTHR field testing has proven reliable for me in the past when I was using a HRM.  My run LT Threshold as been in the range of 174-176 every time I did a test. What you may see change is the pace for the 20' test duration depending on your fitness at the time of the test.  BT has a HR zone calculator where you can select different types of HR zone calc methods and compare them.  LTHR is one of them.

2016-01-13 12:03 PM
in reply to: Donto

Thanks to everyone for your input. I apologize, I should have provided better info on how I arrived at the 167 max. I actually got this number last Fall. I tried to base it on LT. You all are right in that it may not be accurate. I had borrowed my co-workers HR monitor and used it for a 10K race. Based on reading, I triggered the HR monitor to run during the last approx. 20 minutes of the race, and I gave it everything I had to simulate a field test. The 167 was the average for that specific time period. I'm sure it was higher, and also lower. But I can say it was a really really hard 20 minutes. Does this shed any light on the topic? I wasn't even planning on using that info until I got the monitor for Christmas.
Barry

2016-01-13 1:56 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Originally posted by Burchib

Thanks to everyone for your input. I apologize, I should have provided better info on how I arrived at the 167 max. I actually got this number last Fall. I tried to base it on LT. You all are right in that it may not be accurate. I had borrowed my co-workers HR monitor and used it for a 10K race. Based on reading, I triggered the HR monitor to run during the last approx. 20 minutes of the race, and I gave it everything I had to simulate a field test. The 167 was the average for that specific time period. I'm sure it was higher, and also lower. But I can say it was a really really hard 20 minutes. Does this shed any light on the topic? I wasn't even planning on using that info until I got the monitor for Christmas.
Barry

If that is your Max, it's not uncommon for your z2 to feel super slow to you. Some new runners have a hard time keeping it in Z2 running at all and need to walk to get it back down. When you were using RPE you were more than likely going too fast. I would use Z2 as mostly a guideline. It's ok if you peak up into z2 a little, especially near the end of your runs, but try to stay in Z2 as much as possible if that's what your plan/coach calls for
2016-01-13 3:19 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Originally posted by Burchib Thanks to everyone for your input. I apologize, I should have provided better info on how I arrived at the 167 max. I actually got this number last Fall. I tried to base it on LT. You all are right in that it may not be accurate. I had borrowed my co-workers HR monitor and used it for a 10K race. Based on reading, I triggered the HR monitor to run during the last approx. 20 minutes of the race, and I gave it everything I had to simulate a field test. The 167 was the average for that specific time period. I'm sure it was higher, and also lower. But I can say it was a really really hard 20 minutes. Does this shed any light on the topic? I wasn't even planning on using that info until I got the monitor for Christmas. Barry
input your 10k race time in the McMillan run calculator then after you click the calculate button, select 'Training Paces' on the left side and see how the paces lines up with your LT HR zones.  For me things happened to line up very well.

2016-01-13 5:51 PM

User image

Master

Barry

167 isn't your max HR but it probably is close to your running Lactate Threshold (LT). One way to find your Max HR is to run so hard during that 20 minutes that part way through you fall to the ground dry heaving and can't run another step, your HR at that moment is close to your max. There is no good reason to test for your max. Knowing your LT is much more valuable and will help you set your HR training zones properly. Running lots of easy miles will not make you a slow runner but will improve your aerobic fitness while minimizing your risk for injury.
2016-01-14 11:56 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Barry

167 was your max during the 10k but also your average HR for the last 20 minutes of the 10k?

The beauty of your 10k lasting nearly an hour is that you can take your average HR for the entir e10k and use that as your threshold HR. Teh final 20 minutes is only if you are doing a shortened version of the test.

A Max HR probably won't be achieved after 40 minutes of aerobic exercise followed by even 20 minutes hard effort. You'd need to look for a collection of your historical max HRs on a variety of short hard efforts like uphill sprints ... likely data you havn't collected yet.

Like others have suggested you don' tneed your max HR in order to determine training zones.

When you calculated your training zones, what did you use to do it with? ie did you use 167 and plug it in as your max? Or as your final 20 min avg? or are you letting the watch tell you what your zones are?

id suggest you do a quick recalibration like this:
1) Us the BT HR tool and put 167 in as your threshold HR and see what the training zones look like
2) use mcMillan calculator and put your 10k time in and see what your training paces look like

Do a quick comparision and see if the two sets of zones line up. IE is your endurance traiing pace from mcmillan similar to your zone 2 HR based on a threshold HR of 167?

This is just a way to start calibrating your paces. It certainly IS possible you have been training above Zone 2 for a long time, but that doesn't mean you have been training incorrectly or abusing your heart. You just havnt been training in Zone 2, and may see benefits if you change up your training.

OR

Your zones are way off and you need to retest

OR

Just do your routine trianing and collect HR data for awhile and look at a large collection of the HR data in a a few weeks, look for areas where time spent at different heart rate groupings of 5 beats or so drops off quickly...meaning you don't spend mucjh time there...that's probaby close to your threshold as well.

Lots of right answers. Not many wrong answers...just gaining more knowledge and education about training & how your body responds.
2016-01-14 12:13 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Great feedback. I will do these steps as you suggested. Thanks!

2016-01-14 12:14 PM
in reply to: pschriver

Understand and great point. Figuring out the Max doesn't sound very fun! Thanks for helping me.
2016-01-14 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Burchib Should I train with the monitor and adhere to it? I feel like I will lose all my speedand fitness. Not sure what to do! Would love to hear some wisdom. Thanks everyone! Barry

How far are you running when your doing you Zone 2 work out.  If you are going 3-5 miles then yea it will feel painfully slow.  If you are going 16+ miles then if feels about right.  Running slow develops energy sources that running fast doesn't.  All plans work slow runs (zone 2), Medium runs (steady state), and fast runs (speed work) into the week to help you get fire on all cylinders on race day.

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-01-14 2:36 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Different HR question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

How different are HR monitors (straps)?

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 877 Posts: 7

2012-10-22 9:17 PM m2tx

Different strokes for different folks?

Started by threeguitars
Views: 2248 Posts: 10

2010-02-26 9:21 AM maggyruth

Wetsuit Questions (of a different type) Pages: 1 2

Started by ADollar79
Views: 1826 Posts: 29

2006-09-24 2:32 PM TriDDS

different kind of Tri Bike question

Started by Mike 45
Views: 614 Posts: 3

2006-03-15 2:23 PM rollinbones

Question on different phases of training

Started by donnajo
Views: 902 Posts: 8

2005-10-12 6:51 PM donnajo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 24, 2015
author : BradSeng
comments : 0
While running, I've been really struggling to keep my heart rate down in the zone 2-3 range as frequently prescribed in the plan. This seems too slow?

date : April 17, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program is a beginner plan to bridge you from an a Half Ironman to Ironman using a HRM with the confidence that you can complete the race without difficulty.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
I have 10 lessons with a coach and he keeps telling my I'm holding my breath. I cannot figure out where since I'm breathing out and in every 3rd stroke. Any drill recommendations?

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : December 8, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Highly trained athletes can maintain a specific HR longer than a newbie without much creeping; their endurance is greater—thus able to keep pace efficiently and without much additional increase in HR.

date : June 4, 2006
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.
date : June 4, 2006
comments : 8
Training plan terms and definitions for use in silver and gold member plan workouts. Many workout drills include VIDEO tutorials, see links below.

date : January 29, 2006
author : AMSSM
My doctor says 140bpm HR is my max, but that feels like a walk in the park... I don't know what to do, how to train, and my motivation is waning. Any suggestions?