General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM: Coach or no coach? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-13 9:01 AM

New user

Regina, Saskatchewan
Subject: First HIM: Coach or no coach?
I'm considering doing my first HIM this year (Steelhead 70.3). I've only done sprints in the past, but have a strong enough base in all three sports right now that, based on what I've read, I would be ready to start HIM training come March/April.

Since this is my first HIM I'm slightly nervous about training and have started doing a little research into hiring a coach for fully personalized training vs. buying a training plan that comes with access to a coach for questions etc vs. just finding a training plan online to follow. I'm not overly concerned about my finishing time, I'm aiming more to finish but to make some improvements in my swim/bike/run along the way.

Does anyone have any advice on this from their own experience jumping up in distance? Do you think it's worth it to hire a coach for your first HIM (or IM)?

2016-01-13 9:54 AM
in reply to: nirvie

User image

Master
Subject: RE: First HIM: Coach or no coach?
HIM, probably not. Full IM probably so. If swimming is a weakness, a swim coach or masters program can really help.
2016-01-13 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
if you have the money to spend on a coach, it's not a bad idea for your first HIM, especially if you are not completely sure about your workout flow.

the main problem with longer distance is building to peak, without over doing it. also things like nutrition come into play.

a decent coach can help develop your weak points, and watch your training levels, guide you to a peak performance and help keep you healthy till race day.

2016-01-13 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I jumped from a sprint to a full IM in the same season with no coach, and given all the variables, was quite pleased with how it worked out.

That said, I've spent about 6 years swim/bike/running ( ok, running is closer to 3-4 due to injury, after getting hit by a car )

If you are good at listening to your body, can follow a plan to ease yourself up in volume and identify when to back off from potential injury despite what the plan says, then a plan in of itself might be enough.

If you aren't able to do the above, then a coach might be a great help in simply avoiding injury, as well as continuing to progress.

The route I went, I built my own plan, modified it as I needed to in order to fit into my schedule that a standard plan wouldn't be able to accomodate. Hitting the key workouts needed over time, knowing the basics of periodization, knowing my body, when to back off and rest, knowing when I am able to push etc. resulted in a successful season.

There are some great books on how to build training plans, how to build, triathlete's training bible, and "your best triathlon" are two that I really like.

I like the book "run less, run faster" but I don't use their plan as is, I do however like some of their charts for key run sessions. They already advocate cross training, making it easier to fit into a triathlete's plan, but I back off a bit on their frequency of intensity, as they are run focused and the cross training is not as hard as my key swims and bikes.

I echo the above for going to see a swim coach though, unless you are already a phenomenal swimmer.

At the LEAST technique advice and stroke correction are extremely important for the swim. A master's program, or endurance/swim coach that does group sessions are the cheaper route.

If you want one on one attention, it can get pricier, but I found I got enough attention in group sessions.

Hope this helps make your decision, and YMMV
2016-01-13 2:55 PM
in reply to: #5161465

User image

Franklin, TN
I did my first HIM last year. Like you, I had a decent base in all 3 disciplines. I used the super simple HIM plan from triathlete.com. No coach. If you follow the plan you'll have the fitness...then it's all about execution.

I swim and bike with several people that race long course so I asked them questions if needed. A coach will help in taking the guesswork out of training, nutrition and execution. I didn't feel the need to get a coach since I was confident through training I could handle the distance.

I didn't set the world on fire but I enjoyed my first effort... 5:47 in the 55-59 AG at IM Choo 70.3.
2016-01-13 4:06 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Good question, I have my first HIM this year also.

My approach is to borrow from a couple of free plans and use open water, half marathon, sportives and a few olys to gain my race fitness. Using what I've learnt from coaches over the years and whats on the web I've put coaching money towards buying a new bike!

2016-01-13 11:52 PM

I would say it is very individualized and also your goals.

Some people are very disciplined and self-motivated and they can do a HIM fine on their own. This is what I did for my HIM and IM. I love researching and reading about various training methods and picking one that I thought suited me best. I used Matt Fitzgerald's plan for my first HIM, which is free. You also have to rely on advice of others to guide you. There will be bumps in the road and it is not always easy to figure out the problems (e.g. injuries). I've tried coaching, but it hasn't worked for me because I disagree with their methods. I work in healthcare and have been trained to practice with up to date evidence based practice, which I've found hard to find in tri training in my area. I know if I have the right coach I will improve much quicker than on my own... that is if I find the right coach. You'll be able to tap into a wealth of knowledge and he/she can guide you right away. There's a lot of trial and error with my approach, but I enjoy it.

Some people need additional support or prefer to focus on the workouts and not on the planning. My boss wants to just focus on working out. She doesn't have to worry about how to figure out how to adjust her plans if there is a deviation in training (e.g. sickness, burnout, time management issues, etc.). She definitely maximizes her time better than me, but I also have a lot more time on my hands. She also needs the motivation from her coach. Another thing a good coach will help you with is if you have significant weaknesses in any of the disciplines (e.g. swim flaws/technique).

Good luck with steelhead! I'm planning on doing it this year.
2016-01-14 7:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I'm bias but I vote coach. I did my first HIM without a coach. I thought I covered all the bases and did everything right, but I ended up being dissapointed in my performance. So I'd say consider your goals, and then realistically, assess if you can obtain them on your current path. If in doubt, at least talk to a coach. See what they have to offer, and maybe get some hints on if your goals are possible. If your weakness is swimming a masters class will help. But a good coach will work with you on that too. I frequently get videos sent to me from my athletes. They have someone at the pool video them and text or email it to me for analysis. I then make sure they are working on the right drills to correct any problems and make them conscious of making those changes. Plus, having a coach takes a lot of the effort out of it. You let the coach worry about how to design your workouts and plan your week. All you have to worry about is doing the workouts.

Edited by Meulen 2016-01-14 7:33 AM
2016-02-04 12:20 PM

User image

Like many have said it's an individual choice. I would ask a follow-up question. You say you are slightly nervous. Do you have an idea of why that is?

If you have "how-to and why" questions and you are unsure of where to find the answers then a coach might be helpful. Or as another person mentioned a training group or club if there is one nearby.

If you think it might just be nerves about getting to the finish line - finding and reading a plan or a book that shows you the method might be all you want or need.

For me - I used a free plan to prep for my first Olympic. It worked but I didn't do really well. I was proud of what I did but thought I could have done better if I had more guidance. So when I decided to step up to a half I knew that if I decided I liked that I was going to go to a full. So I went with a coach. He had coached people I knew to successful Ironman Finishes. So that gave me a sense of confidence that if I just did what he said I would make it. That freed me up to worry about 1000 other things. :-) Good luck and have fun!

2016-02-05 12:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by nirvie I'm considering doing my first HIM this year (Steelhead 70.3). I've only done sprints in the past, but have a strong enough base in all three sports right now that, based on what I've read, I would be ready to start HIM training come March/April. Since this is my first HIM I'm slightly nervous about training and have started doing a little research into hiring a coach for fully personalized training vs. buying a training plan that comes with access to a coach for questions etc vs. just finding a training plan online to follow. I'm not overly concerned about my finishing time, I'm aiming more to finish but to make some improvements in my swim/bike/run along the way. Does anyone have any advice on this from their own experience jumping up in distance? Do you think it's worth it to hire a coach for your first HIM (or IM)?

I'm a bit biased as well. I find these two sentences  almost contradicting.   "I'm not overly concerned about my finishing time, I'm aiming more to finish but to make some improvements in my swim/bike/run along the way."  It sounds like you just might be concerned about your finishing time, but you may understand it's more about the processes that leads to a better finishing time.  

A coach can help make your training more efficient and give you more of a competitive edge, help increase your focus and skills where they need to be and reduce your stress with all there is. Helps you manage your training with your life and knows when you should dial it up and when you need to tone it down and let the body rest. The coach to athlete relationship should include open and honest communication and both must be willing to listen and you must be coachable.  

With that said I went without a coach my first year I was pretty good with a 4:49 for  my first 70.3 but got a lot better with a coach down to a sub 4:20 in a 70.3. I was already planning on getting a coach after I finished my MBA when I had some cash to free up but I met the right one at the right time who was willing to work with me, even though we worked from a distance most of the time. With that said, I'm free to chat.   Feel free to send a message or you can also join my mentor group here too http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...  .  I'm here to help!! 

Edited by triritter 2016-02-05 12:16 PM
2016-02-05 9:23 PM

User image

I did my first HIM and previous marathons without a coach.

When I stepped up to IM in 2015, I decided that I wanted to the support of a coach. While I am disciplined, I was getting information overload and just wanted someone to layout my season and tell me what to do. It worked great. I didn't need to spend any time analyzing my progress, building next week's schedule. And probably most importantly, I didn't need to constantly be wondering if I had built the wrong plan or didn't have enough of x or too much of Y.

Surprisingly, I decided to take a little break in 2016 and only do 2 marathons and 1 HIM (when I tell people that I am taking it easy with just those races, they just look at me funny!). But, I could again not get my motivation back and figure out what I should be working on, so I went back to my Tri-Coach and use him to build my marathon program. Super happy!

2016-02-05 10:33 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I don't think it's necessary, but it depends on what you want and are most comfortable with. For my first HIM (and my second and third), I did not work with a coach (except for some group sessions with our local master's program in the US, and, for my first HIM, some informal consultation with a coach at a local tri club about race hydration and nutrition). For the first, I used the beginner HIM plan here on BT with some modification to fit my abilities and work schedule. I think that works fine if you have an adequate background for the plan you are using (look at the first weeks and see, spend some time building up to that if needed),you can adapt it as needed to your skill set and lifestyle, and are disciplined and self-motivated.

For my second (and, it turned out, third) HIM, I felt I had to some extent "outgrown" the beginner plan, so I used a combination of the BT intermediate HIM plan and a different plan for the bike. I tried to write my own custom plan by combining aspects of different plans that met my needs. I think I improved my overall fitness, especially on the bike (I dropped my split by over 20 minutes) but I think that approach led at times to overtraining. I ended up getting sick with the flu a few days before the race and having a very sub-par run. I did manage a 25 minute PB at another race later that summer.

I'm planning two HIM this year and for the first time as a triathlete, am working with a coach one-on-one (online). I feel like I've gotten to the limit of what I can do on my own without some guidance, and to be honest my understanding of tri training and cycling in particular is limited. (I have a strong run and swim background but no formal bike training prior to getting into tri.) My coach has me doing things on the bike that never would have occurred to me. Working on-on-one also allows me to do workouts that are tailored to my strengths (endurance, swimming and running) and weaknesses (speed, strength, power, biking) as well as my somewhat crazy training situation here. It is nice not to have to second-guess myself about whether I am making the best use of my limited training time. I figure that even if decide later that I don't like working with a coach anymore, I will have gained some new knowledge about training and myself as an athlete that will allow me to structure my training more effectively in the future.

The minus side--Working with a coach takes away some of the spontaneity and flexibility of being self-coached. You report back to someone on your workouts, the way you might on a project at work. If you deviate from them significantly, they expect some explanation, or the box in Training Peaks turns red, or something like that. There have been days when it's really difficult to do a workout as planned, either because of logistics or how I'm feeling, but I've done it anyway because it seemed easier to do it than explain why I couldn't. ("My cat hit me in the eye" "I had toxic coffee at lunch," and "There is a flower market taking up my entire running route." probably don't make much sense unless you were there at the time!) At times that might have been a good thing, at times not. I know I feel more stressed if I can't do a workout as planned than when I coached myself. But maybe that's just my personality. I can see that this might actually be a plus for someone who's not very disciplined. In my case if I knew I wasn't reporting back to someone else, I probably would switch a key workout to another day if things weren't really working out well on a particular day, and not stress about it.

I realize it's not an answer but maybe will help you consider what to do.
2016-02-06 8:50 AM

User image

Regular
I would forgo hiring a coach and consider putting that money towards either equipment upgrades or even race fees. You stated you weren't particularly concerned with your time which to me seems like the primary reason for hiring a coach. There is no doubt an abundance of information to sort through but it is just a keystroke away. I bought Don Fink's Iron Fit for my one and only iron distance race (to date). I highly recommend it. As many others will attest it a great tool with the right combination of general information, motivation and training specifics. I suppose a coach would be good for motivation and accountability but only you can decide if it's worth the cost. Bottom line in my opinion is if you use the information and resources already available to you (this website included) and put in the time to properly train and prepare you can easily make the jump to HIM and have a great race with a performance to both be proud of and build on.
2016-02-06 1:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Originally posted by nirvie

I'm considering doing my first HIM this year (Steelhead 70.3). I've only done sprints in the past, but have a strong enough base in all three sports right now that, based on what I've read, I would be ready to start HIM training come March/April.

Since this is my first HIM I'm slightly nervous about training and have started doing a little research into hiring a coach for fully personalized training vs. buying a training plan that comes with access to a coach for questions etc vs. just finding a training plan online to follow. I'm not overly concerned about my finishing time, I'm aiming more to finish but to make some improvements in my swim/bike/run along the way.

Does anyone have any advice on this from their own experience jumping up in distance? Do you think it's worth it to hire a coach for your first HIM (or IM)?

You can really do it with or without a coach. It really depends on the time you have to plan and analyze (and do your homework here) your training plans and progress and continue to build up your fitness, and comfort, for the HIM distance at Steelhead.

A coach will help you get there, think of things you might not have thought about, and look at the bigger picture while pushing your fitness while reducing chance of overuse injury or over training.

Again, there is no best way; just what way is best for you!
2016-02-07 9:42 AM

, Tennessee
I don't have any HIM expeirence, but my first experience with a tri coach has been very positive. He has been really helpful in identifying weaknesses and focusing my training to improve those, while maintaining and improving my strengths. Even after reading the Triathletes Bible, I still appreciate his knowledge and experience with periodization and balancing all three sports so I see continued improvement without getting hurt. My swim times have already come down and my strength is improving (my two limiters). I came from a running background so I really needed some guidance with building my skills in the other two and balancing three sports at once. He takes a lot of the guess work out of it so I can just enjoy the workouts and races.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First HIM: Coach or no coach? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri coach or run coach or ....?

Started by ChrisM
Views: 1398 Posts: 9

2008-11-26 10:21 PM tcovert

Why the animosity toward Coaching and Coaches? Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6

Started by Rocket Man
Views: 9501 Posts: 150

2008-03-24 3:37 PM kenail

Coach vs. no coach Pages: 1 2

Started by kellc09
Views: 3451 Posts: 27

2007-07-05 12:36 PM KSH

Mike R and other coaches- convince why I need a coach rather than a plan

Started by xterratri
Views: 2188 Posts: 23

2006-12-21 1:57 PM gsmacleod

Anyone hire on online coach or an actual coach

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1393 Posts: 7

2005-08-02 2:09 AM trilover
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 15, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with gsmacleod, aka Coach Shane MacLeod on his coaching philosophy, his approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.

date : September 14, 2008
author : Team BT
Receive online triathlon coaching via our forums, personal coaching through an affiliated coach or nutrition coaching from our certified nutritionist.
comments : 2
Details on how athletes can connect with registered BT coaches for training plans and personal triathlon coaching.

comments : 1
Details on how to use the 'Coaching System' to coach your athletes.
date : May 3, 2005
author : Tri Swim Coach
Swimming and golf can both present you with a meditative-like form of exercise that I have found to be both fulfilling and fun!

date : February 16, 2005
author : trilover
Byrn won’t hold your hand through the long hours and miles required finishing or for success in an IM, he can only show you how to get there. The work is up to you.
date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
How to choose a coach? A summary of three 'types' of coaches and the pros and cons of each.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.