BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2016-01-19 9:14 PM

User image

Tyler,
Subject: Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN

GROUP FOCUS: Entry level triathlete to those seeking to do an Ironman. 

NAME: TriRitter/William

STORY: Through the years I've competed in a THOUSAND run races, triathlons, and some cycling races through my 20 years of experience in endurance sports. I started in triathlon after saving enough money for a decent road bike to commute on and got hooked on some group rides non-intentionally and met someone doing their first triathlon so I joined in with them. I've been racing triathlon ever since 2007. I do it because it's fun for me and now I have a baby boy so I see it as an opportunity to teach how to work for something to be successful. 

FAMILY STATUS: In 2014 I married my stunning wife, Calley and we formed a family with her son Rylan.  This year, we had baby boy Evan who is now 5 months old at the time I'm writing this.  We also have a dog, Copper, and three cats, Hazel, Boo, and Emmy Lou.  

CURRENT TRAINING: I train often and I'm prepping for 4-5 half ironman's this year. The first one being Texas 70.3 in Galveston. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Well we just had a baby recently so I've only done a few local 5k's through the off-season with one being a 17:21 being about 10 pounds heavier than usual working on getting threshold bike and run power back. 

UPCOMING YEAR'S RACES:  

1/2 Papa John and Debby's 4 miler - 2nd Overall (one of the athletes I coach won)
2/6 Freeze Your Fanny 10k and 100k bike
3/5 Fresh 15K
3/13 OR 3/19 Luck of Irish Sprint tri or UNT Mean Green Sprint Tri (sprints)
4/10 Texas 70.3
5/8 Komen 5k? 
6/26 Tulsa Triathlon Half Iron
7/4 Firecracker 5k
8/7 Rivercities Tri (sprint)
9/2 UT Tyler Cross Country (alumni) Invitational (8k xc
9/11 Rose City Triathlon (sprint)
9/24 Redman Half Ironman
10/30 Austin 70.3
11/6 Oilman Half Iron? (maybe)

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm still about 5-10 pounds over pre baby weight, but not too concerned. I'm fueling my training, bike power is getting back higher and run is getting better and I'm swimming faster.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR:

My background is strong in the endurance sports world including 20 years competitive running experience and 8 years experience in triathlon. I started in triathlon in 2007 as a novice after college running, moving up the ranks racing in the elite-amateur division. I'm the Director of Dealer Sales at Cobb Cycling, so I know quite a bit about how saddles and bike fitting work and will be glad to answer questions about bike comfort. I also coach at Fly Tri Racing and have experience helping several individuals get the most out of their training and racing. I'll be offering "Pro tips" nearly every day on here.  Thanks for checking this group out and I hope you join in on the fun!! 

Edited by triritter 2016-01-25 9:56 AM

2016-01-25 9:51 PM
in reply to: #5162613

Subject: RE: Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN
Hello Tri Ritter,

Name is Blake. I'm an entry level triathlete with aspirations of completing an Ironman. I'm 48 years old and spent much of the last 30 years not being very active. I'm in good health and not particularly overweight. Last July I experienced an unexpected change in my employment status and decided to put the extra time to good use. Bought a pair of running shoes, found a training plan, started running. I completed a half marathon in November, kept training, and completed a marathon in Charleston on 1/16. It wasn't pretty, but I finished and I learned a lot. I've logged about 450 miles since the later part of July. I bought a nice road bike and have begun the process of toughening up my posterior haha. I've probably bitten off more than I can chew, but I'll find a way to swallow it. I am registered for the HIM in Chattanooga in May, and IMFL in November. I've got a long way to and a short time to get there. I have a good HIM plan that I started this week. I've spent much of the last 6 months reading and getting educated about the sport. I recognize that the real education will come from the water and the road. I'm excited about the journey ahead.

Blake
2016-01-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: blakester

User image

Tyler,

Welcome to the group!!

Wow that's quite awesome and a good way to deal with the unemployment. You've come a long way in a short amount of time. 

What continue to motivates you to keep running and wanting to do an Ironman?  

Do you have any training questions that can help you out today? 

Where are you from? 

Thanks,

William

2016-01-27 10:04 AM
in reply to: triritter

User image

Tyler,

Also I'm a rep at Cobb Cycling and know quite a bit how to make your riding a little more pleasant.  

2016-01-27 4:18 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: The right mindset is foundational. It shapes our attitude towards being comfortable being un-comfortable. It shapes how we perceive spending hours on the trainer or in in-climate weather. Anybody can train when the settings are right. Do you have fear of failure, fear of failure? It's important to be in the presence. For example when you're racing "think small", when your swimming swim to one buoy at a time, one stroke at a time. When running it's from one phone post to the next, one stride to the next. Follow your plan and don't think about what's coming up next.

2016-01-27 6:49 PM
in reply to: #5163552

Presently living in Evans, GA, just outside of Augusta. Motivation comes from a few sources I guess. Spent the last 20 years focused on career, took no time to do anything for myself to speak of. Wanted to do something for me, something active and constructive. Always thought of running marathons or competing in an Ironman as something I couldn't do, that I didn't have the right stuff. Woke up one day and said "that's BS!!!" I've got a marathon under my belt, now I'm gonna be an Ironman. I first heard about Ironman triathlons 20 years ago when visiting Maui. I remember thinking how insane that sounded LOL!!

As for training questions, nothing specific at this point. My first visit to the pool yesterday was a sobering experience. I gotta learn to swim. My next visit to the pool will be focused on swim drills to develop form. The internet is a wonderful thing.

Regarding bike comfort...could definitely use some guidance there. Bike had a Selle San Marco Ponza saddle. It measures 129mm across the widest point. My sit bones measure 130mm. From my limited knowledge, I don't think that's a good fit. Went to the LBS and they loaned me a couple of saddles to try out, a Fizik Anteres, and a Fizik Aliante. Can't say that I'm terribly impressed with either of those, but I also realize I don't have enough time in the saddle to make a fair assessment. My 40 min trainer ride earlier this week left me feeling bruised around my sit bone area. I also experienced some numbness in the soft tissue area while doing the ride. I've had a proper bike fit at the LBS so I think all of that is good. I've studied the Cobb saddles online, but I simply don't have enough experience to do anything much beyond guessing what the right saddle for me would be. I would welcome any advice you can offer as time is of the essence.

Blake

2016-01-27 8:33 PM

User image

Tyler,

Awesome, I'm here in Tyler, Tx.  it sounds like you've had a successful career. What do you do? I'm the Director of Dealer Sales at Cobb Cycling and I also do a bit of coaching. Do you live with any family? I'm married almost two years, with a 15 year old step son and almost a 7 month old boy. 

Haha yeah starting to swim can be very sobering. You can't muscle your way through like you can on the bike or run. I'd recommend taking a further step back and just started with body position and maybe some kicking. Get a snorkel, on your stomach arms extended and just kick. You can use fins to get a feel for a better kick. You can also just kick with one fin and see if your other leg can mimic the one with the fin, and alternate that. 

Forget what you heard about sit bone width, it's irrelevant especially to road riding and triathlon saddles with good relief channels. Why you ask? Because it will allow you to rotate your hips off your sit bones. 129 mm rear width is actually a good, because it's narrow enough to have hamstring irritation or extra chafing. Nose width matters more and not many saddle companies I know advertise those except Cobb Cycling.  Also it's best to actually ride more in a tri short with a thin fleece chamois, I know this is backwards thinking to what most people will tell you but a big padded chamois is you cant control where that chamois goes and it adds extra friction and can absorb sweat. Also it blocks to relief channels of the saddles so you don't get the benefit of that.  A fleece like chamois will keep everything dry down there dry too.  

2016-01-28 12:38 PM
in reply to: #5163887

Thanks for the saddle and swim advice. Gives me a little more perspective to evaluate with.

I am married, 25 years this coming December. We have 2 girls, ages 15 and 12. I am a chemical engineer by education. My career has been spent in the paper manufacturing industry. I'll probably end up staying in the industry, although I wouldn't mind seeing what else is out there for me. East Texas has a lot of paper companies. I looked at an opportunity in Evadale a few months back, but I just wasn't ready to jump back in the frying pan haha.
2016-01-28 1:41 PM

User image

Tyler,

Congratulations on 25 years in marriage and your two girls! I've heard of Evadale but don't know exactly where it is. 

What has your training and such been like this week?  

2016-01-28 2:32 PM
in reply to: #5164002

Evadale is near Beaumont. I've done 40 minutes on bike trainer, 4 mile easy run, and 200 yrd swimming (thrashing about actually haha), and an hour of gym work today on core and upper body. Planning swim, bike, run the next 3 days. Swim will focus on balance and kicking, maybe some side kick drills if it goes well. Bike will be 50 min on trainer, and run 5 miles with some sprint intervals thrown in.
2016-01-28 4:09 PM

User image

Tyler,

That's maybe 5 hours north of here.  I'm about an hour and half east of Dallas.  That sounds pretty solid! 

2016-01-28 4:11 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: Going to a race to "train through it" or "tempo" ingrains a weak mindset. Just stay home and train if you're not gonna race it or give your best. Doing this makes it more difficult to flip the switch when it's really time to race your big race. Racing and training is not just physical.

2016-02-01 8:53 AM

Hi,
I'm interested in joining this mentor group. First of all, thanks so much for sharing your expertise and experience in this generous way.

Here's my basic story -
I'm 44, I've been running since 38. I've finished 6 marathons. Last year I decided to become a triathlete and I registered for Ironman Wisconsin. (Nothing like jumping right in!) I started my training in September. Right now I'm training about 8 hours a week, mixing up the 3 sports. The swim currently concerns me the most. I'm working on my swim skills and getting more relaxed in the pool. I continue to be overwhelmed by all the layers of training and equipment stuff to figure out. One step at a time - I keep telling myself!
And I'm excited to be on this journey.
Amy
2016-02-01 2:14 PM

Hi there!

I'm 45 y.o. female, married 18 yrs. 4 kids (3 girls, 1 boy ages 16, 14, 12, 10), busy with kid activities--lots of baseball and softball games to go to.
Diet not great, but not looking to lose weight BMI 23.2
I have NEVER been an athlete.
Really slow--on a great day I can finish running 1 mile in 12 minutes, but then I would have to stop
I have timed myself in the past (not recently) and swam 2:38/100 yds.
No idea what my normal mph is on my bike.
Bought clipless pedals but have only used them with my bike on the indoor trainer.
Training seems to be sporadic--need to get mentally motivated I think more than anything else. No real training buddies available.

I am considering 5150 in OKC in June, and one in Iowa in September. I had considered Steelhead 70.3 in August, but scared to commit to this right now, maybe Tempe 70.3 in October.
I have done 3 sprint races in the last 2 years but had to walk in the run portions (kind of embarrassing considering how short these races are)--did not finish last overall or in my age-groups however.
I really enjoyed the overall experience of these races, even if I did finish at the back of the pack.

Would eventually LOVE to complete 70.3 and 140.6 races--I am fascinated by the mental and physical strength of those who have finished, and want to call myself one of them.
2016-02-01 2:22 PM
in reply to: amylriley

User image

Tyler,

Hey Amy, welcome to the group and thanks for joining! You picked a good one IMWI is super hilly!! There's nothing like jumping straight in. 

Triathlete are marketed with a lot of gadgets so it's best, I think to keep things simple use what you really need.  

The first steps learning to swim is learning be comfortable and relaxing. You can't muscle or fight you way through like you can as much with cycling or running. You'll swim faster the more relaxed are. But also start with learning correct body position and pushing off the wall in streamline position will set you up well. I have my beginner swimmers kick on their stomach with a snorkel  and we can dial in where there head should be and it also works on kicking as well. Sometimes I'll have them kick with one fin so their other leg can mimic the one with the fin to get a better feel for it.  Then when they get a hang of this pretty well we can move onto rotation and breathing.  

Feel free to ask any question you have about equipment! 

2016-02-01 2:22 PM

User image

Tyler,

How did training go this weekend?  

QUOTE]Originally posted by blakester Evadale is near Beaumont. I've done 40 minutes on bike trainer, 4 mile easy run, and 200 yrd swimming (thrashing about actually haha), and an hour of gym work today on core and upper body. Planning swim, bike, run the next 3 days. Swim will focus on balance and kicking, maybe some side kick drills if it goes well. Bike will be 50 min on trainer, and run 5 miles with some sprint intervals thrown in.

2016-02-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: mbaxter0245

User image

Tyler,

Hey welcome to this great sport and triathlon!  You got quite the family!  I'm married for almost 2 year and 15 year old step son and 7 month old. We start baseball games next week. 

What made you want to start this crazy fun sport?

Speed doesn't matter, especially when establishing a base or for an easy run for that matter.  I always tell people let the pace come to you and not to force it.  I have another athlete, male with similar run paces. His main thing is just get the work done. He's been athlete for awhile but at points not being consistent so we can also phase in strides, surges, and hill sprints for establishing his base. This will make an easier transition when we do get more speed oriented. 

I think I would pick up a late season half ironman.  Where are you located? The races you mentioned are quite a distance apart.  

Thanks, William 

2016-02-01 3:16 PM

Not sure how I discovered the sport, no family or friends involved. I may have happened to been channel surfing a few years ago and saw Chrissie Wellington's Kona finish, then watched the next year to see Mirinda Carfrae--these and many other amazing athletes.

My sister lives in Tempe, so that's why I thought of that race. My daughter wants to visit colleges in Michigan--therefore Steelhead. I'm in NE.
2016-02-01 4:18 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: Just because you worked hard and were consistent doesn't make you entitled to a great race. You still have to earn it there. You have to get out there and be mentally, emotionally, and prepared ready to make it happen.

2016-02-01 4:20 PM

User image

Tyler,

That's pretty cool how you randomly started. Most people did sports in school or started running  and then found triathlon. 

You must have a good trainer to be living in Nebraska. It's probably full of snow right now. 

2016-02-01 4:24 PM

User image

Tyler,

Please let me know what you did for training this weekend through Monday, use the quote button to reply. 

For me it was : 

Saturday: Bike 3.5 hours on the road, first time on the road in months,  with 4x15 above 70.3 effort, I went averaged about over 260 watts on these. with 10 min easy spin followed by 2x1 miles fast off the bike at oly effort I went 6:05 on the first one, I was feeling my heavy bike legs and a couple of hills, then went 5:25 on the way back. 

Sunday: turned into an unplanned rest day, my 7th month old has been a little sick and was waking up every hour so by the third night of this and Saturday's training I was pretty whooped. I jogged down the road and turned back around. I was going to swim too in the afternoon, but decided to let my body go ahead rest since I'm about to start a recovery week. 

Monday: Planned rest day. 

2016-02-01 5:20 PM

Hey TriRitter,

My name is Chet and I am 48 years old living in Akron, Ohio with my wife and two sons 9 and 13. I started running several years ago and completed several half, then full marathons. After that I completed a sprint triathlon and did two sprints last year. My goal this year is to do an Olympic distance triathlon. I ran my last half in October then twisted my ankle on a trail and am starting to run again. I was lifting for about two years and stopped when I twisted my ankle and school became busy, I am a special education teacher. I am trying to figure out a way to train for the tri while incorporating a lifting program. I want to be as strong as I can as I get old (not big, functional strength). I bought a used road bike at the end of last summer and look forward to using it. How do I join the group? Thanks.
2016-02-01 9:15 PM
in reply to: #5164021

I was planning a swim, bike and run for the weekend. I did the swim and bike. Didn't get to the run. Running motivation has tanked since the marathon a couple weeks ago, and the addition of bike and swim training is taking me a bit to get adapted to. I did 45" indoors on the bike, felt good, still sorting through the saddle selection process. I don't think the fizik saddles are working for me. Gonna see if the LBS has a Cobb demo I can try. The swim on Friday was another exercise in frustration. I spent the weekend researching and bought the Total Immersion book on Sunday. Got a couple of the videos in the mail today. I like the method. Spent an hour in the pool today working on the first couple of drills. It was a much more relaxing and rewarding experience. Plan to hit the pool again tomorrow, Thursday and Friday. Also have 2 bike and 2 run workouts planned for the week. Right now the thing that weighs most heavily on my mind is that I have to be able to swim 1.2 miles in open water on May 22. I know I'm underestimating the bike portion right now, but I'm trusting my training plan to have me ready.
2016-02-02 11:33 AM

Originally posted by triritter

Please let me know what you did for training this weekend through Monday, use the quote button to reply. 

For me it was : 

Saturday: Bike 3.5 hours on the road, first time on the road in months,  with 4x15 above 70.3 effort, I went averaged about over 260 watts on these. with 10 min easy spin followed by 2x1 miles fast off the bike at oly effort I went 6:05 on the first one, I was feeling my heavy bike legs and a couple of hills, then went 5:25 on the way back. 

Sunday: turned into an unplanned rest day, my 7th month old has been a little sick and was waking up every hour so by the third night of this and Saturday's training I was pretty whooped. I jogged down the road and turned back around. I was going to swim too in the afternoon, but decided to let my body go ahead rest since I'm about to start a recovery week. 

Monday: Planned rest day. 

No workouts this weekend. Saturday took daughter to swim meet, did a community walk (so I guess that may have been a workout--walking about 3 miles), then worked at the local soup kitchen. Was on call for work from 1am til 7 am. Sunday shopping for groceries, supplies for kids activities at school, church, laundry for 6 people. Monday is my "rest" day (although not much to rest from ). Not try to make excuses for no workouts, just need to try to figure out how to balance everything. Was planning on going to the gym this am for an early morning swim, but the gym is closed due to all the snow--See what I have to deal with (ha ha) I will try to get on my bike trainer tonight after work.
Sorry, didn't mean to be so wordy
2016-02-02 4:22 PM
in reply to: ChetJ

User image

Tyler,

Hey Chet,

Thanks for sharing your story! I believe with your back ground already you got an olympic triathlon distance in you.  I guess the real question is how's your swim? 

I'm definitely a proponent for strength training year and around and I believe it can help you tremendously. It all depends on what you call functional - this seems like an over used term. In our sports you want actual power transfer.  I don't think you need anything too complicated, but you should value things like heavy squats, lunges, and possibly some plyometrics.  During the season it's more of a maintenance mode depending on your training and how far out your next big "A" race is.  You won't get big from this - there are power and neuromuscular benefits from lifting on the heavier side without it taking a toll on you.  There's more to it than that plus the triathlon training on top of that.  

You have any races picked out this year?

Welcome to the group! 

Thanks,

William

Originally posted by ChetJ Hey TriRitter, My name is Chet and I am 48 years old living in Akron, Ohio with my wife and two sons 9 and 13. I started running several years ago and completed several half, then full marathons. After that I completed a sprint triathlon and did two sprints last year. My goal this year is to do an Olympic distance triathlon. I ran my last half in October then twisted my ankle on a trail and am starting to run again. I was lifting for about two years and stopped when I twisted my ankle and school became busy, I am a special education teacher. I am trying to figure out a way to train for the tri while incorporating a lifting program. I want to be as strong as I can as I get old (not big, functional strength). I bought a used road bike at the end of last summer and look forward to using it. How do I join the group? Thanks.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.