General Discussion Triathlon Talk » school me on cycling shoe options Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-29 10:56 AM

User image

New user
Subject: school me on cycling shoe options

I've been experiencing some numbness in my right foot with my current cycling shoes and I'm thinking I need to size up. I've been using Giro's with LOOK cleats for the past few years. My only complaint other than current fit is difficulty in walking in shoes since the LOOK cleats are so prominent.

There are so many choices (3-hole, SPD, LOOK) that I don't even know what to look for.

Can someone help me understand my options for a reasonably priced shoe w/out the bulk of the LOOK cleat? I realize switching from LOOK means I need to buy new pedals but I want to at least be able to price it out. If it's cost prohibitive I'll just stick w/ LOOK and deal with the inconvenience of bulky cleats.

Thanks

2016-01-29 11:04 AM
in reply to: swimbikerun81

User image

Subject: RE: school me on cycling shoe options

How much walking do you do in your shoes?  I know what you mean with the LOOK cleats.  They're the only ones I've used.  The first two years I raced it was like ice skating trying to get to the mount line.  I finally decided to just leave them clipped in all the time by my third season.  I don't do a flying mount.  It's more of a step on them and go.  It's worked well for me but I've been doing it for a number of years now.  It's not going to help you if you are racing WTC but I'm slow long course so taking my time to the mount line isn't hurting me much there.

I have a buddy who uses SPD cleats and he doesn't seem to have much trouble getting around. 

2016-01-29 12:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

How much does walking actually matter here? Three main choices for road shoes in Look, SPD-SL, and Speedplay. None of them are really that great at walking. The first two are sort of similar, but not compatible with each other. Make sure you know if someone means SPD or SPD-SL as the second is often incorrectly abbreviated as SPD. There is a substantial difference in their design and how they function. SPD is a mountain bike cleat system. Some road and tri shoes do accept it now. Still don't think these are great for walking except when on mountain bike oriented shoes. Or maybe some of the other more casual type cleated shoes.

The foot problems could be from the shoe or could also be cleat position depending on what's going on. For the cleat, it's usually moving it back some so the pressure is applied on a better area of the foot.

2016-01-29 12:32 PM
in reply to: #5164161

SPD cleats are usually used for mtn biking because they clip in easier and shed dirt better/get less interference from dirt. The drawback is that they are a smaller platform and as such don't distribute your downward pressure as well across the foot. Also, on mtn shoes, there are usually tall knobs/traction around the edges of the shoes because while mtn biking, you often get off and have to walk. This would make walking in transition better, but they are not ideal for road use... less aero, usually more straps to buckle, not as stiff.

Your standard "road shoe" typically has 2-3 straps, a stiffer bottom plate, and little to no traction. Tri shoes are similar, but usually just have one strap, and holes/mesh in the bottom to drain water.

As far as cleats, it seems to me that *most* roadies prefer wider cleats (look and the like), citing the idea that they get better power transfer. Full disclosure, my knowledge may be a few years out of date.

Up until a few months ago, I had no interest in maximizing power as I had no plans on competing and ease walking around off the bike was more important to me, so I ran spd cleats and mtn shoes on both my road and mtn bikes. When the wife signed us up for a few tris this season, I invested in a pair of decent tri shoes and look cleats. The difference is pretty noticeable to me on longer rides. (Long for me is only 50 or so miles so take that for what it is.
2016-01-29 12:37 PM
in reply to: #5164205

Oh, and are you sure your foot numbness is not related to shoe width or simply over tightening the straps? I'm sure you thought of that, but I sometimes get overzealous with my ratchet straps and end up with numb feet halfway through my ride
2016-01-29 2:15 PM
in reply to: davejustdave

User image

New user
Thanks everyone for the info and suggestions! I really should have said mounting / transitioning instead of walking. Considering I do the bulk of my training indoors I think I can deal with the minor inconvenience during races and stick with LOOK.

I'm going to focus on trying to figure out what's causing the numbness. I do tend to keep the ratchets on the looser side because I have noticed it lessens the numbness. The shoes are quite snug (width and length) and I only notice the numbness in my right foot which is why I was thinking sizing (that's my larger foot). While I'm sure a snug fit is best for power transfer, I'd much rather be comfortable.

2016-01-29 2:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Old school LOOK is hard to walk in, but new school LOOK Keo has walkable cleats.  Much better. And they work better with new shoes.  You may even have LOOK Keo compatible pedals, and just using the wrong cleats.

Read http://www.competitivecyclist.com/look-cycle-keo-grip-road-cleat

They are selling them at full price, Amazon is cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4K0YYY

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-01-29 2:34 PM
2016-02-08 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I've had some numbness in one foot, of which the source seemed to be my socks.  The numbness would slowly build in my right foot and turn into a serious burning sensation.  It was towards the outside pad area.  No amount of moving the clips and/or shoe tightness or position seemed to help.  When I changed my sock size from DeFeet large to Defeet XL, the problem went away. 

2016-02-09 6:50 AM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by brucemorgan

Old school LOOK is hard to walk in, but new school LOOK Keo has walkable cleats.  Much better. And they work better with new shoes.  You may even have LOOK Keo compatible pedals, and just using the wrong cleats.

Read http://www.competitivecyclist.com/look-cycle-keo-grip-road-cleat

They are selling them at full price, Amazon is cheaper. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4K0YYY

x2 on the Look Keo Grip cleats.

2016-02-09 3:19 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sounds like it could be a sizing problem. If the shoe has an insole, try removing it to see if that gives you more room.

I have Look cleats and never walk in them. Except for disengaging from the pedal at traffic signals, my shoes stay on the pedals at all times. I mount and dismount with shoes clipped in on every ride. Been doing it for years. It's become second nature. If you're going to do lots of tris get some tri shoes. Decent tri shoes will allow you to be comfortable going sockless as well as making it easy to do a flying mount/dismount.
2016-02-09 3:58 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Originally posted by Dorm57

I've had some numbness in one foot, of which the source seemed to be my socks.  The numbness would slowly build in my right foot and turn into a serious burning sensation.  It was towards the outside pad area.  No amount of moving the clips and/or shoe tightness or position seemed to help.  When I changed my sock size from DeFeet large to Defeet XL, the problem went away. 

This is what I was going to suggest. It might seem insignificant but sizing up in socks really helped how my feet felt on long rides.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » school me on cycling shoe options Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Running shoe vs road cycling shoe size

Started by agarose2000
Views: 7031 Posts: 6

2011-03-15 9:37 PM tri808

School me on tri cycling shoes.

Started by steveseer
Views: 1563 Posts: 12

2010-12-29 3:21 AM RGos

How does your cycling shoe size compare to your running shoe size

Started by Jason N
Views: 17154 Posts: 17

2010-08-16 1:08 PM jeng

Do You Train in Triathlon Shoes or Stictly Cycling Shoes

Started by supa-powa
Views: 1859 Posts: 12

2009-05-20 9:18 AM mmrocker13

Cycling Hydration Options?

Started by Winston63
Views: 1249 Posts: 9

2008-08-15 5:54 PM Winston63
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 5, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
So, since my beloved go-to shoe brand has changed its shoe, after reading the bruhaha about the minimalist shoe, I decided to give it a try. Now I have a foot issue with my arch area.

date : May 2, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
A comprehensive look at a controversial trend-- for triathletes like you
date : May 16, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 3
Several strategies for coping with or preventing numb toes and feet

date : March 20, 2009
author : mikericci
This month's fun and fast training will help you improve performance and raise your metabolism so that you are feeling a bit hungry all the time and really burning up those calories.
date : July 28, 2008
author : mjguanella
Overweight, ex-high school athlete and father of three decides to enter a triathlon and gets more than he imagined.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
Both the Lake Triathlon Shoe CX210TRI and the Lake Road Shoe CX225 offer distinct advantages. I tested both shoes and found them to be extremely comfortable, good looking and durable.
date : October 4, 2006
author : TriSports.com
Training for endurance athletics can be a complicated time gobbling monster. This is an understatement for the majority of us that are trying to juggle a full time job and/or school with training.

date : February 28, 2005
author : Don Magie
Whether your bike is new, new to you, or you have not been on the bike for a long time, you really should spend some time thinking about how your bike fits you.