General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Haphazard Triathlete Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-04 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: The Haphazard Triathlete
Despite having been a cub scout for a solid year and change I never transitioned to the more prestigious ranks of the Boy Scouts. The blame rests solely on the shoulders of my Den Mother who decided trying to corral a bunch of hyperactive eight year olds just wasn't her cup of tea. Had I become a Boy Scout I may have embraced their motto "Be prepared". Adopting and incorporating this principle would have undoubtedly reaped significant benefits later in life and saved me considerable aggravation and embarrassment. In theory being prepared is relatively simple. Planning is key. First conceive of any potential eventuality and take the necessary steps to avoid it (if that is desired), or meet it head on and crush it!

I learned early on the importance of lists when packing for triathlons, particularly destination races. I created my own years ago at work in a rare respite from indentured servitude and it has served me well. The list works best and is most effective when you go through the list and physically verify that the item on the list is indeed in your bag. Several years ago at a local race I have done many times I dug into my bag for my goggles and was faced with the sobering reality that I had left them in my workout bag. In a panic I loudly yelled "Does anyone have a spare pair of goggles?!" Fortunately, someone did (an extra pair no less!). In my first year as a true "Beginner Triathlete" I left a full hydration pack in transition and completed an Olympic distance bike ride without hydration!

Fortunately none of my omissions or forgotten "not so essentials" has resulted in a DNF. The frustrating thing is these hiccups are easily preventable. Lord willing this will be my tenth season with close to forty races of all distances under my belt yet I continue to have the occasional lapse in proper preparation and execution. I suppose it adds a further element of excitement to the sport for me, you know, just in case the adrenalin rush of competing in triathlon isn't enough. Any similar experiences?

2016-02-04 9:24 PM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: The Haphazard Triathlete
"Haphazard" would be me if you took away all my props and crutches such as Google Calendar, Training Peaks, my teaching planner, and checklists. I'm certain that I was born without the "glue" that seems to hold other people's brains and lives together, and endurance sports are no doubt my means of ADHD self-medication. Yesterday, for example, despite all those tech aids, I managed to forget it was Thursday and leave money for my housekeeper when I went to the pool (to do the workout listed for "Thursday" in Training Peaks). My excuse was I'm on vacation (Tet holiday) so am off the typical workweek schedule. At times I have forgotten to eat, or gotten on the bike trainer for an early ride in my PJ's, and been well into the workout before I noticed.

I'm certain I would forget something essential every time if not for the checklisst on BT. For those who love/need checklists, Joe Friel also has an awesome series in the Triathlon Training Bible that includes not only equipment for every type/distance of mult-sport race, but also a list of what to do/not do on each day leading up to the race for about a week, down to what you should eat, drink, even think up till the gun goes off, during the race, and after. My tri-buddies tease me because I always have those dog-eared pages with me when we travel to races. Thanks to BT and good old Joe, I have never managed to forget anything essential. Any my competitors know I always carry at least five or six pairs of goggles so I can dither about which ones to wear until the swim warmup ends. (Not an ADHD thing--one year we had horrible light conditions for an ocean swim, I and several others had only tinted OWS goggles, and could hardly see to navigate. Someone actually drowned in that race, quite possibly because they couldn't see and panicked.)

But as for non-triathlon travel, I always forget something, usually the simplest, most essential thing. Last year on a bike trip to Laos, my toothbrush. Two years in a row for bike tours in the tropics, sunscreen. The good thing is that if you have your credit card and passport, most things can be replaced.
2016-02-04 10:28 PM
in reply to: #5165465

User image

Really enjoyed your post. It really made me smile and turned out to be very timely. I'm a 64 yr old, returning triathlete (over 50 sprints in my 40's)....just completed the 21/31 challenge on this site for Jan, which included getting back in the pool 4x in Jan.. For the past month, I've been going to my son's (he is a high school basketball coach) Thursday nite, 7pm games after work. Game usually finishes around 8;30..I drive quickly to make my local pool by 9Pm. They say it's open till 9:45 but the lifeguards blow the whistle at 9:30. So, as you can attest, this takes planning...I have a separate, pre-packed gym bag with my fins, goggles, towel, bathing suit,etc. Grabbed it on the way out this morning...arrived at the gym at 8:55...2 free lanes...Great...after a brisk walk into the locker room, start the quick, but well planned change to my b/suit...and...my "oh no!!!" Was very audible ...no bathing suit!!! This gym has a pool/hockey vending machine with goggles, nose clips( I just bought my first and had that packed), skate laces..but no male large speedo's ...you're right about asking for extra googles, but I don't think you would get too far asking for an extra suit.....damn...my return to the sport, first month exuberance was dashed...And, I would fall behind on the various exercise challenges on the Lose It site...you're right...it's really swim, bike, run, only if you are organized!!! Oh, when I went to put my towel back in the bag, my bathing suit was rolled up into the towel! Did my rather short 750 yard workout, but I did it. You are so right, organization is the fourth part of being a successful triathlete.
2016-02-05 6:07 AM

User image

I've had numerous training mishaps with forgetting something. Mostly with bike for some reason. The worst being driving to a closed trail to rideand forgetting my helmet. That's happened enough I keep an old one in the trunk now. I hesitate to say this because I'm going to jinx myself but I've been lucky with races. I'm a bit OCD and maybe being a former Boy Scout. I have a bad that's just for race day so most of the stuff I need stays in there. Plus I try to limit what I need. Night before race I unpack and repack if. I keep some extra stuff like goggles in case someone forgets theirs.
2016-02-05 6:17 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
The worst is forgetting a towel for swimming. My training time in our workplace pool is very tight. I usually can't start until 4:30 or 4:45 due to kids' practices, the pool closes by 6, and a typical workout for me is in the 3000-3200m range, so there's little room for error. If I discover last-minute that I've forgotten the towel, there's no time to go get one. Several times I've had to stand there trying to air-dry, which would just be annoying (it doesn't take that long in the tropics), except that often several of our school cleaning ladies are in the locker room too, enjoying a shower before heading home, where they maybe don't have hot water or private facilities. They always try to be helpful and keep giggling and handing me paper towels. Talk about embarrassing! I really should find an old reject towel and store it in my classroom, but I would probably forget it was there.
2016-02-05 8:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by Hot Runner ... or gotten on the bike trainer for an early ride in my PJ's, and been well into the workout before I noticed...  

Sorry but this made me laugh.  I can't imagine getting on the trainer in my pajamas.  

I've been pretty good about not forgetting to pack things but during one of my first tri's I was about a mile into the bike and realized I had left my water bottle in my transition bag.  It was only a sprint race but I was a pretty slow cyclist at the time (the 12 miles took me about an hour to do) and the temps were in the low 90's.  I got through it OK but it really affected my run.  Lesson learned though - now the first thing I do when I set up my transition area is make sure my bottles are on the bike. 

2016-02-05 8:56 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
My biggest oversights tend to occur in training. I frequently forget hydration or nutrition on long runs. I've gotten to the gym at our office (I'm fortunate enough to have one of those I can use during lunch) and realized that I left my towel at home and have no quick way to dry myself after a shower. I've left my goggles at home and tried to make do without them at the Y. I am notorious for leaving my HRM or grabbing it and forgetting the strap.

But by far the worst is forgetting to grab band-aids for my nipples before a long run on a cold day. Hell hath no furry like a chapped pair of nipples. I now keep boxes of band-aids in my truck, my back, even my desk at work (you never know).
2016-02-05 9:03 AM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner The worst is forgetting a towel for swimming.

I keep a shammy in my bag.  Rather then bring my towel out on deck I bring that.  Bonus is it's always in my bag!  Almost always

2016-02-05 9:16 AM
in reply to: marti038

, Tennessee
If you have children it can get worse when they mess with your gear! I try to keep it out of their reach but sometimes they find it anyway. I have lost goggles to my eldest daughter who grabbed them for her swim class, and I once showed up to a group ride with deflated tires because little fingers found the tire valves and thought they made a fantastic noise when messed with. Always bring an air pump!
2016-02-05 9:58 AM
in reply to: #5165474

User image

Regular
I have dreid off countless times with a hoody after forgetting a towel. Warm and cozy but sorely lacking in the absorbency department. I take pide though that the workout would not be denied! Even contemplated swimming in gym shorts after forgetting my Speedos but decided the added drag would ruin the workout.
2016-02-05 11:37 AM

User image

, South Carolina
2 bags at the front door and each must always have: a helmet, x-tra cleats, cycling shoes old pair in one bag new pair in the other, 2X goggles, tri pants even if they are stretched out and mostly see through, bonk bars, cheap first aid kit, running shoes, 2 tubes, 1 tire, Co2 and 2 canisters, chub rub, butt butter, lip stuff, goody's powders, nuun tabs, baby wipes, gloves, arm warmers, race belt, hat or visor, sunglasses, Boudreaux's butt/rash cream.

and of course a big a$$ role of duct tape, I put that shiz on everything!!!

2016-02-06 7:31 AM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually, I realize I HAVE forgotten something in a race situation, sort of. Does having another gu on your person but forgetting that you have it (or where you put it) count? I have done that two or three times, including my first HIM. I took a gu at the halfway point of the run and remember thinking at about the ten mile point that I could really use another hit of sugar and caffeine (my preferred gu has both) and regretting that I hadn't brought it. But I had....it was in the pocket on my race belt, not my hydration belt, as I discovered when cleaning up after the race. Did the same thing in a half-marathon. Today on my long run I was carrying a gu and just forgot entirely about it until I had only 8 minutes left on a 1:45 run. The run went fine--makes one wonder how necessary that stuff is.
2016-02-08 9:57 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by Hot Runner

"Haphazard" would be me if you took away all my props and crutches such as Google Calendar, Training Peaks, my teaching planner, and checklists. I'm certain that I was born without the "glue" that seems to hold other people's brains and lives together, and endurance sports are no doubt my means of ADHD self-medication. Yesterday, for example, despite all those tech aids, I managed to forget it was Thursday and leave money for my housekeeper when I went to the pool (to do the workout listed for "Thursday" in Training Peaks). My excuse was I'm on vacation (Tet holiday) so am off the typical workweek schedule. At times I have forgotten to eat, or gotten on the bike trainer for an early ride in my PJ's, and been well into the workout before I noticed.

I'm certain I would forget something essential every time if not for the checklisst on BT. For those who love/need checklists, Joe Friel also has an awesome series in the Triathlon Training Bible that includes not only equipment for every type/distance of mult-sport race, but also a list of what to do/not do on each day leading up to the race for about a week, down to what you should eat, drink, even think up till the gun goes off, during the race, and after. My tri-buddies tease me because I always have those dog-eared pages with me when we travel to races. Thanks to BT and good old Joe, I have never managed to forget anything essential. Any my competitors know I always carry at least five or six pairs of goggles so I can dither about which ones to wear until the swim warmup ends. (Not an ADHD thing--one year we had horrible light conditions for an ocean swim, I and several others had only tinted OWS goggles, and could hardly see to navigate. Someone actually drowned in that race, quite possibly because they couldn't see and panicked.)

But as for non-triathlon travel, I always forget something, usually the simplest, most essential thing. Last year on a bike trip to Laos, my toothbrush. Two years in a row for bike tours in the tropics, sunscreen. The good thing is that if you have your credit card and passport, most things can be replaced.

Pilots & Surgeons use checklists. It's the sign of an organized mind determined to succeed. Embrace them, don't apologize for them. One tip...can you get your training peaks sessions onto your google calendar as well? There is only one of you, so working off one calendar keeps you in tip top head space.
2016-02-08 4:29 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Actually I write the workouts (the basic what, where, and when, and any other after-work committments) onto my teaching planner--too lazy to enter them in Google Calendar. The times I can do various workouts are pretty limited so it's basically a matter of morning trainer or run; afternoon swim or strength or nothing. TP can also send you e-mail reminders of your workouts, the same way you can set Google Calendar to do. Oddly, I don't think I have ever forgotten to swim/bike/run or had too much trouble remembering the details of a workout. (If it's too complicated, I write it down.) Interesting how the mind prioritizes things!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » The Haphazard Triathlete Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I am a triathlete!!

Started by ccessex
Views: 1032 Posts: 18

2004-05-06 2:25 AM Len

The Triathlete's Training Bible

Started by soupaman
Views: 1397 Posts: 12

2004-03-25 1:40 PM LJSChicago

Rehabbin triathlete wants to know

Started by gr8brindle
Views: 1196 Posts: 4

2004-02-27 7:22 PM Machiavelo

Am I a triathlete?

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 1016 Posts: 6

2004-02-02 8:53 PM vmax3000

Inside: Strength-Training Triathlete Program ...

Started by TripleThreat
Views: 953 Posts: 3

2004-01-15 12:39 PM TripleThreat
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : geofftri
comments : 1
From overweight with heart problems to becoming a triathlete

date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.
date : May 22, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 2
This article looks into the types of exercises triathletes need to be utilizing, and why traditional methods are of little use.

date : April 27, 2012
author : Andy Sloan
comments : 5
An insight into how to train strength and condition for triathlon and endurance sports success
date : March 17, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
comments : 5
Being a pro triathlete is even more boring than you might have thought

date : January 20, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Information for training as a pregnant triathlete including physiological changes, nutritional and environmental concerns plus certain risks to avoid.
date : November 1, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
From a cycling background to triathlete. A podcast with one of the first BT members about how triathlons allow him that daily satisfaction.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.