United States
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 28m 17s
Overall Rank = 1/15
Age Group = 30-39 F
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Event warmup:

Finally got to the start a touch early so that I could do a proper warm-up. Ran a bit, nice and easy then did some hard strides.

The sun was up so no headlamp was needed. Woohooo, signs of spring!
Run
  • 28m 17s
  • 2 miles
  • 14m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

We had a period of warming in the lower mountains here meaning it was unlikely I would run into snow That in addition to not needing a headlamp made navigating the trail much easier than the last two I had done.

This is a monthly time trial meant to keep everyone motivated through the cold, dark months. Coincidentally, this race has fallen the day before the other race series I have been taking part in meaning my races fell back to back. Additionally, I wanted to use these races as training sessions so I didn't taper for them. This forced me to walk a fine line of running hard and running well but not pushing to that point where I couldn't get up the next day and race hard and well again. The nice thing is, the mountain time trial is a very different kind of workout than a flat or even flatish 2 mile "speed" oriented race.

Anyway, I set my watch (these races are self timed from the heart sign to the fence at the top.) and GO!

Moderating an uphill or mountain race can always be tricky. You can't rely solely on your breathing because you are breathing hard the whole time. I learned from Andy Wacker at the Mountain Running National Championship, to use your arms as an indicator. So long as they didn't tense up and feel lactic, you are probably right where you should be.

The bottom part of the trail is the most challenging in terms of footing. It's very rocky and you really have to watch where you step. However, it is much easier when you aren't running by headlamp.

I climbed steadily, passing many hikers on the trail.

It was warmer than it had been and I shed my gloves early, tucking them into my sports bra. The lower portion of the trail was a beautiful lush green color.

I pushed hard on a steep part of the ascent getting to the point where my arms had a touch of that lactic feeling. I backed off and got to the sweet spot of pushing hard but not too hard. Finally I reached a short false flat where I could stride out my legs a bit using it as an opportunity to accelerate rather than rest. The trail becomes steep but there are no rocks. I increased my cadence but took short steps, driving hard up the hill being sure to keep my arms pumping.

I was about 3/4 of the way done and took my first peek at my watch. I was on a really good pace. Encouraged, I charged hard up the next few switchbacks. I encountered some hikers, this time I caught them by surprise and had to stop because their dog was in the way. No worries though, we all have a right to the trail. I stepped off the trail to go around the couple and their dog then accelerated hard to get back on pace. There wasn't much left to go but this spot is notoriously difficult for me. I was sweating buckets as I pushed the pace.

I broke out of the forest and sprinted across the open meadow. Then I dry heaved. Thought I was gonna puke, dry heaved again, kept running, up the last steep sandy part of the hill and to the fence! I nearly collapsed as I looked at my watch. I had shaved almost an entire minute off my time!
What would you do differently?:

For ideal result, taper and not have another race the next day but this is a planned training stimulus.
Post race
Warm down:

Spent a little time at the top taking photos then turned around and ran back down the mountain, nice and easy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:28:17 | 02 miles | 14m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 1/15
Performance: Good
Course: 1760' of gain from the heart sign to the fence, very official :) approximately 2 miles to the top
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-02-08 11:01 AM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent

2016-02-08 12:04 PM
in reply to: #5165974

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
Subject: RE: Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent
that looks like a great venue for a race. congratulations on pushing hard and having a good result.
2016-02-08 12:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Wow, way to nail it!  I love the last pic: great action, nice contrast of your orange gear with the lush green of the forest - neat!  It has a mystical look to it.

Edited by melbo55 2016-02-08 12:26 PM
2016-02-08 12:53 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Looks really beautiful there. And you know it's a good race when some dry heaving is involved Way to go!
2016-02-08 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great job! Puke, Podium and PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2016-02-08 1:48 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Wow, great pictures, and a nice PR. Way to go!

2016-02-09 11:06 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Beautiful photos!  It sounds like a really fun, casual event (organizationally speaking). 

Nice PR!

2016-02-09 2:29 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Interesting information about the lactic feeling in the arms! Congratulations on the PR and another great race!  Your trails look way different than mine   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Time Trial: Poo Poo Point Ascent

Started by Asalzwed
Views: 1366 Posts: 3

2015-12-29 2:59 PM rrrunner

Piru Time Trial

Started by GasMunky
Views: 1124 Posts: 8

2005-04-15 9:52 PM heymickey

Tom's Farms Time Trial

Started by celmore
Views: 887 Posts: 1

2004-11-17 7:34 PM celmore

Tom's Farms Time Trial

Started by GasMunky
Views: 906 Posts: 1

2004-11-15 7:50 PM GasMunky

Intl Police Games - Time Trial

Started by desertsix
Views: 906 Posts: 1

2004-08-15 1:15 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 28, 2012
author : IManTagalong
comments : 2
This is an article about my experience as a husband of a triathlete, while she trained for the Orangeman Triathlon

date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."
date : August 24, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
I've rested them for 6 weeks, twice. I've had Active Release Therapy, massages, I'm doing Trigger Point, and stretching. Yet, I'm still having issues and can't get above 3 miles.

date : October 8, 2008
author : FitWerx
How do you determine VO2 max for cycling? I have my HR zones from a time trial, but don't know how to get VO2 max out of that.
date : April 16, 2008
author : Team BT
Watch Christina Robeson, Chris Bagg, Janda Ricci-Munn and Lisbeth Kenyon battle it out at the 2008 Multisport World Expo in this 10K indoor time trial.

date : June 6, 2006
author : TriForrestTri
In order to maintain the rest of our life, we also have to become skilled at time management. Here are a few suggestions for getting workouts in when you can.