General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Used? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-09 9:16 AM

User image

Subject: Buying Used?
Hello everyone,

I am in the market for a used tri bike. I've been using a road bike now for 3 HIMs, among other shorter distances and have decided to complete a full at the end of the summer. Anyways, I do not know too much about bikes and I have found one for sale. I'm wondering if anyone could take a look at the bike and give me any feedback. It is a 2010 Quintano Roo Tequilo Triathlon Bike. I'm having a difficult time finding correct sizing information for this brand. I'm 5'5" with a 21" inseam. This bike is a size 52. Here is the link to the bike or I've copy pasted the information from the ad. Thanks in advance for any advice/feedback you can give!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/bik/5417618671.html

Selling a used Quintano Roo Tequilo Tri Bike. Bike was tuned up by REI summer 2015, new brake cables and cleaned up. Could use some new tape. It's a size 52.

Frame Tubing Material: Quintana Roo AN-6 aero aluminum
Wheels and Tires
Hubs: See Rims/Wheels
Tires: Continental Ultra Race
Brakeset: Quintana Roo
Shift Levers: Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end
Rear Cogs: Shimano 105, 10-speed
Saddle: Quintana Roo
Handlebar: Aluminum w/Vison clip-on J-Bars
Handlebar Stem: Quintana Roo Aluminum
Factory Description
Quintana Roos have won in the hardest races on the toughest courses in the world and the Tequilo can help you win, too. This road rocket features super-aero AN-6 aluminum tubes and a sleek carbon fork for top-notch handling and a velvety-smooth ride. Combined with the amazing ride, you'll save every precious second thanks to Quintana Roo's legendary frame geometry, the wind-cheating Alex wheels and Shimano's precision 20-speed components. Plus, you get internal cable routing, Vision aero bars and rear-entry dropouts, which allow for an extra-close wheel tuck, to maximize your record-crushing speed.

2016-02-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: afin03

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Buying Used?

So a few things.  1) buying used is perfectly fine and you can score some good deals.  You just need to be careful that you know what you are looking at and what you are looking for... condition, mechanically, etc.  2) sizing is super tough to do if you don't know what you need.  Get a fitting so that you have a starting point.  An ill fitting bike is never worth the cost... even if it is the deal of the century.  Once you have a fit you'll know what bikes will fit based on the published size charts. 3) The QR in the post is a fine bike from the stand point of if its a reputable/quality bike.  Although IMHO it is about $200 overpriced at the asking.  Is it the right bike for you?  Who knows without the fit data!

2016-02-11 12:45 PM
in reply to: Sous

User image

Extreme Veteran
In addition to what Sous already provided you, let me give an option that may or may not be available to you. You may want to do a search in your area for bike fitters and contact them in reference to a pre-fit session. I was lucky to be near one of the best here in Houston, which is where I went. If you can find one like I did, here is what will take place. They obtain all of your measurements, stack, reach, +++++++++++++, and then give you all the information for you to make a wise decision and be almost positive that what you purchase will work best for you. Mine even sat down and went through ever single brand and gave me the size for each model that would fit me in my budget. He also provided me with the make and model of the bike that most closely matched all my numbers. I took this information and was able to purchase a last year model for the same price as I have seen them used for, with free maintenance and full warranty (reg. $3000 got it for $2000). I purchased the model he advised best suited me and it was so spot on that the only thing they did during my fit was to adjust the seat height. I also really liked the process because he did not have loyalty to any particular brands so I knew I was getting a true list of what was best for me. Well worth the 100 dollars I spent to know that what I was getting was right.
2016-02-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: afin03

Augusta, Georgia
Buying used is a great way to get a good deal, but most of the times, you will have to change stuff on it to make it fit your needs and be comfortable. Also make sure that the person your dealing with can answer any questions you have about the bike, so you know if they are the actual "owner" of the bike, which based on the ad, they know about the bike and is actually the owner.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buying Used? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New guy just bought used bike for Tri's

Started by attackmonkey
Views: 1342 Posts: 6

2010-09-03 12:13 AM tjh

buying used wetsuit

Started by emt8q5
Views: 976 Posts: 3

2010-08-24 6:02 PM morey000

Advice on buying used bike - 2006 Cervelo Dual

Started by SJerz
Views: 1461 Posts: 2

2010-07-16 4:08 PM gr8scott!!!

buying used bike for hubby...

Started by movingsouth
Views: 583 Posts: 3

2009-11-10 12:14 AM movingsouth

Buying used Zipp 404's

Started by erincs
Views: 815 Posts: 3

2009-07-20 1:38 PM erincs
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer

date : November 25, 2014
author : jtriathlete
comments : 12
I'm jumping back into the long-distance races next year and I'm wondering the best way to spend my money? Should I buy a new bike or a powermeter and race wheels?
date : December 12, 2009
author : FitWerx
We are often asked the question, "What size frame should I buy" and the answer is “it depends”. I know that’s not the answer you want to hear, but hopefully the following will shed some more light.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
Use these 3 drills to develop a feel of putting your head underwater and exhaling.
date : December 3, 2008
author : dexter
comments : 15
What are rollers? How can rollers help your bike training? Learn how to use your first set of rollers without doing too much bodily harm to yourself.

date : August 13, 2008
author : say78
In February, I was given a very special gift: a gift certificate to buy a nice road bike. That's when I realized there was no turning back. I WAS doing this.
date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
comments : 1
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.