United States
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 14m 32s
Overall Rank = 3908/11885
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 105/515
Pre-race routine:

Typical warming shower and generous application of Salonpas patches across my lower back, my left butt cheek, and upper hamstring.
Event warmup:

A 5 block walk to the start line and some good warm-up "hopping around" while I waited for my wave start..
Run
  • 2h 14m 32s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Typical Surf City 13.1 with lots of people..
Post race
Warm down:

About 3 bottles of water, a bag of blue corn chips, and a 5 block walk back to the hotel. The shower was to die for....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Having to overcome a 2 month layoff to heal a slight hamstring tear, from September to November. Had I not had that injury, I would have set a new PR, no doubt about it..

Event comments:

Well, this was quite the race for me. Coming into this race, I had the death of a dear friend on my mind, and nervous concerns about my left hamstring. In March of 2015, I weighed 169 pounds, out of shape and without motivation. I met a young lady, Victoria, who helped me "get my mind right". She assisted with nutrition ideas and menu plans, and took me to HITT classes on the Marine base. These "high intensity tactical training" sessions every Tuesday, really whipped my ass into shape, while completely rebuilding a fitness base. The additional workout sessions and running sessions paid off in the end. I will forever be indebted to her. I continued to run and work hard.

In September, after running 8 and 9 mile training runs in San Francisco while visiting my parents, I returned to the next HITT class, and injured my left hamstring. I tried to gut out my training runs and a few HITT classes, until I could do no more. A trip to the chiropractor and a few tests later, it was determined that I had a slight tear just under my left glut muscle. I was devastated. All my hard work and everything I had gained, came to a screeching halt. I had to start my training over in November, and had no idea if my hamstring would hold up or not. I started very slowly to get the miles under my belt. My dreams of breaking 2:12 in my last half marathon race, were gone.

I pushed on following a 12 week 13.1 training plan, and tossed in some bike riding, stretching, lots of icing, and a couple bottles of Motrin. In the end, it paid off. A couple of weeks ago, I weighed myself and tipped the scales at 139. I NEVER gave up; I NEVER quit. I stuck with the nutrition plan and stayed focused, because this was going to be my last 13.1 race, and I wanted to go out with a "bang".

When the race started, I went out fast and felt good. I knew it was time to "pay it forward" and to encourage as many women as I could, along the course. It felt amazing. Memories of people doing the same to me over the last 12 years, came flooding back. About mile 4, I jumped on to the shoulder of a young lady that was setting a great pace. I told her I was going to do my best to stay with her so she might pull me to a 2:12, and she was up for the task. About mile 5 we caught and passed the 2:30 pace group. Between mile 7 and 8 we caught and passed the 2:20 pace group.

At the turn around by the wetlands, I began to tire. She would stay ahead of me and wave to me to catch her. I did a few times, but when we hit the hill at Seapointe, about mile 11, I could no longer stay with her. My quads started to burn and I just kept moving forward, with one foot in front of the other. I knew that 2:12 was not going to be broken, but I would have a good time. I only glanced at my Garmin a few times during the day. I crossed at 2:14:32 and was so excited. I cried because of the passing of my dear friend Dennis a few days before, knowing I left it all out there, and that I ran this race without taking a walk break. I ran straight thru.. I had the chance to erase my last two half marathon times. January, 2013 I ran the LA New Year's half in 3:10:36. February, 2013 I ran the Surf City half in 3:10:28. I shaved off almost an hour this time.. Not bad for an old fart......

I want to thank my husband Ron, for sticking by me "just one more time".. My friends Omar and Yesenia for taking the time to come to the start and stay until I finished.. My neighbor Rita, for keeping me company and being my mental "sherpa".. To Jeff, my running mentor and my triathlete mentor. You were a great sport with my pestering questions about running and just about anything. I will be forever grateful for you being there all day and into the night, recording my every move as I pushed on thru to finish my one and only Ironman in 2009. And lastly, to Victoria. Thank you for your patience, your competitiveness, and your brutal honesty. You were a big part of my being successful in this race, and for beating into me, the belief that I could finish this race strong.

I encourage everyone to run this half marathon at least once. It has always been a well supported race with lots of volunteers.. The different bands along the course are fun to hear and the spectators are always there to cheer you on.. Thank you Pacific Shoreline/Surf City for some awesome memories!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
02:14:32 | 13.1 miles | 10m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 105/515
Overall: 3908/11885
Performance: Good
Course: Clear and fast..
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-02-09 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Ironman Arizona via Surf City, USA
Subject: Surf City Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Surf City Half Marathon

Started by TriAgainJim
Views: 1583 Posts: 6

2009-02-02 11:39 AM sealiongirl

Surf City Half Marathon

Started by Lar Dog
Views: 1739 Posts: 8

2009-02-06 12:59 PM kristinc0916

Surf City Half Marathon

Started by LeahDD
Views: 2549 Posts: 9

2009-02-06 12:57 PM kristinc0916

Surf City Half Marathon

Started by BrianL
Views: 1432 Posts: 3

2009-02-01 8:38 PM Omega

Surf City Half Marathon

Started by mixie
Views: 1135 Posts: 12

2008-02-10 8:47 PM MikeB
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.