General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upper/Lower ends of Z2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-12 1:35 PM

User image

DC
Subject: Upper/Lower ends of Z2
My Z2 is 145 to 155. On the treadmill, I can feel the difference in effort and speed (7:30 to 7:00). Any benefit to staying in the upper end?

2016-02-12 6:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: Upper/Lower ends of Z2
Wouldn't it depend on what the workout is planned to do or be? And for how long as well? For me to consider anything a pure recovery easy longer run it needs to be under about 75-78%. I also am low mileage and sprint race focused so most of my work is in upper ranges of training zones/paces. I am curious what the commentary will be from the longer distance folks. Does 7:00 pace consistently pull your heart rate out of zone 2? Or does it just keep you in the top end of that zone? Referencing VDOTs the upper end is that cusp between Easy pace and a Marathon type pace.

Edited by TJHammer 2016-02-12 6:50 PM
2016-02-12 8:11 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
For me it is very, vey dependent on things like the temperature and how well-rested I am. If it's a cool day, even low Z2 actually feels like I'm moving along at a good clip, just a notch below tempo effort, and high Z2 feels like tempo. (I set my zones during a hot, humid 5K, which might have something to do with that.) On a hot, humid day, I feel like I could get into Z2 just walking down the street to get groceries! If I try to hit upper Z2 when I'm fresh, earlier in a workout, and it's not too hot, it's basically a tempo effort. But toward the end of a long run or especially a long brick (when, by definition, it's much later in the morning and I'm much more fatigued), pretty much any forward running motion will get me into upper Z2. So for me at least it's hard to peg lower or upper Z2 as a particular level of effort--really depends on the context.

I don't know--maybe it has to do with establishing zones in a hot race and training in the past few weeks in cooler weather. If I use my current numbers, the cusp between "easy" and "marathon" pace actually feels more like the upper end of Z1.
2016-02-12 8:50 PM
in reply to: TJHammer

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by TJHammer Wouldn't it depend on what the workout is planned to do or be?

Yes, zones are more descriptive than prescriptive, though have been used for the latter.

And for how long as well? For me to consider anything a pure recovery easy longer run it needs to be under about 75-78%. I also am low mileage and sprint race focused so most of my work is in upper ranges of training zones/paces. I am curious what the commentary will be from the longer distance folks. Does 7:00 pace consistently pull your heart rate out of zone 2? Or does it just keep you in the top end of that zone? Referencing VDOTs the upper end is that cusp between Easy pace and a Marathon type pace.

"Recovery" and "longer" don't really go together for anyone. "Recovery" and "run" don't really go together for a lot of people. Need to have a lot of miles on before it's really recovery as opposed to easy.

2016-02-13 12:58 AM
in reply to: Porfirio

User image

Are we talking Friel zones here? 

Provided that your zones are set correctly, I don't really think there's a huge extra benefit in staying near the upper end, unless your a long-distance guy for whom zone 2 might be race-pace. In that case, there is probably a benefit in, within reason, staying closer to the upper end on your long runs. 

Otherwise, zone 2 is still some way off from your LT, so not much in way of physiological difference between the two ends. The way I do it (my focus is on shorter distances) is combine the heart rate with RPE. If on the day I feel my RPE is where it should be as soon as I hit the lower end, then I stay there.

2016-02-13 9:15 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Brooklyn, New York

And for how long as well? For me to consider anything a pure recovery easy longer run it needs to be under about 75-78%. I also am low mileage and sprint race focused so most of my work is in upper ranges of training zones/paces. I am curious what the commentary will be from the longer distance folks. Does 7:00 pace consistently pull your heart rate out of zone 2? Or does it just keep you in the top end of that zone? Referencing VDOTs the upper end is that cusp between Easy pace and a Marathon type pace.

"Recovery" and "longer" don't really go together for anyone. "Recovery" and "run" don't really go together for a lot of people. Need to have a lot of miles on before it's really recovery as opposed to easy.

Thanks, that's a great clarification and is definitely the case with me, I should've known better to have said it that way

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Upper/Lower ends of Z2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Upper back/lower neck pain while riding

Started by GaryGnu
Views: 1132 Posts: 4

2015-05-20 9:37 AM GaryGnu

Low End Bike Shopping for My Wife Pages: 1 2

Started by TheClaaaw
Views: 3397 Posts: 26

2012-06-29 12:19 AM GArunner24

Low end heart rate monitor

Started by garystan
Views: 1074 Posts: 8

2010-06-23 8:59 AM Dom77mu

High end wheels or Low end tri bike

Started by nel34
Views: 1097 Posts: 5

2006-05-14 6:05 PM TH3_FRB

Upper Midwest End of Season

Started by malvey
Views: 577 Posts: 5

2004-07-19 5:54 PM malvey
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
There is a serious, devoted athlete, committed to the task of triathlon. He is happy because his heart rate is low, his blood lactate is low and his chances in this year’s Kona lottery is high.

date : April 30, 2013
author : AMSSM
This article goes through some diagnosis and treatment options for upper hamstring pain.
date : December 14, 2011
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : June 25, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I have a four week gap between the end of my sprint program and the beginning of my Olympic plan. Is it ok to just keep adding the volume needed to begin the Olympic plan?
date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?

date : August 17, 2007
Athletic individuals in general are prone to upset of both the upper and lower gastrointestinal tract. We will discuss two of the most common gastrointestinal issues, reflux and diarrhea.
date : July 5, 2005
author : Michael Silva
I don't really strength train (because I never have and don't really know much about it) and feel like my lack of upper body strength is the reason why I'm not getting faster.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.