General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helmets with Eye Sheilds Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-13 4:42 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Subject: Helmets with Eye Sheilds
I currently have two helmets. A cheapie helmet I bought from Walmart or someplace way back when I started. It's the one I use currently for training. The other is my racing aero helmet which is a teardrop shaped Giro. Both have been good to me so far, but my issue with the aero helmet is that it is a pain in the neck to get my glasses on after I put it on. I'm not great in T1 to begin with and that just causes me more issues.

I'd like to upgrade both…or rather, have had the thoughts of doing a two birds with one stone deal. Is there a decent (and moderately priced) helmet with a built in eye shield that can be used for both racing and training? That would solve my glasses in T1 issue and upgrade my day to day training helmet which I don't have a whole lot of faith in on the quality and fit department.

2016-02-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Helmets with Eye Sheilds
Are you willing to make aero compromises ?

Many aero helmets with visors will be a compromise over sunglasses

All road-aero helmets will be a compromise over the fastest helmets

Edited by marcag 2016-02-13 5:30 PM
2016-02-13 5:50 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
What are your concerns with the Walmart special? All certified helmets meet the same requirements so assuming it's not too old (or been dropped/crashed) and it fits, you're probably fine.

I'd go with a race specific helmet based on your position and then replace your road helmet with another El cheapo if need be.

Shane
2016-02-13 6:18 PM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by marcag

Are you willing to make aero compromises ?

Many aero helmets with visors will be a compromise over sunglasses

All road-aero helmets will be a compromise over the fastest helmets

Nope. I do not want to make any aero compromises. I thought for sure that the helmet with the shield would be more aero. I would have assumed that the air would flow a lot smoother over the helmet with a shield since it would be a continuous line from the curvature of the helmet itself vs the interface between the edge of the helmet and the glasses. That's counter-intuitive to me.
I don't think that saving the 10 seconds in T1 would make it worth it, if it's not as aero.

Originally posted by gsmacleod

What are your concerns with the Walmart special? All certified helmets meet the same requirements so assuming it's not too old (or been dropped/crashed) and it fits, you're probably fine.

I'd go with a race specific helmet based on your position and then replace your road helmet with another El cheapo if need be.

Shane

If that's the case, then I guess it's alright on the safety front. The only other thing would be additional shielding from the wind while training. I've had dry eye issues before and had Lasik this past Thursday, so that can make it even worse. I've tried a number of different types of glasses and still had a lot of irritation issues from air/wind getting at my eyes. I figured the shield would help that.
2016-02-13 8:25 PM

Master
Northern IL

The air that was previously going through the helmet now has to go out and around. And that's added to the air that was already being deflected out and around. Essentially think of it as the apparent A part of CdA became bigger without the Cd part dropping enough to compensate.

2016-02-13 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm currently running with an LG Vorttice, and it's done pretty well for me.

I still wear my sunglasses under it, but don't spend 10s putting them on, and when I take the helmet off, I've already got them for the run.

The shield will move up and down as well, making getting the glasses on and off faster.

That said, you can buy different shields for it, and right now my shop has a black vorttice that comes with a dark visor, so it acts AS your sunglasses.

Only problem there, is that if you're training in the dark, you've got a dark visor on too :p

2016-02-14 12:38 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

Master
, California

I found the Kask Bambino really comfortable and it also tests well.  Price is not cheap though.

2016-02-14 9:01 AM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

never put anything on your head that makes you slower

2016-02-14 9:17 AM

Augusta, Georgia
I like my bell star pro helmet. It fits my head very well, but I would recommend finding a bike store around you and trying out different helmets and finding the one that fits you and that you like the best. Only real way to find a helmet that fits your needs.
2016-02-14 12:10 PM
in reply to: #5167019

User image

Katy, Texas
So is there an idiot's guide to helmets out there? A 101 thread perhaps? As in; what are the different types of helmets available. What are their design differences and most importantly (to me anyway) what's the fastest?
2016-02-14 3:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by 3mar So is there an idiot's guide to helmets out there? A 101 thread perhaps? As in; what are the different types of helmets available. What are their design differences and most importantly (to me anyway) what's the fastest?

Fastest is relative to the individual.  What tests fastest for you, probably doesn't for me, and probably doesn't for the next guy.

The only way of definitively knowing that is to take several different helmets into a wind tunnel and have them tested on you.  That will cost a lot of $$$$.

Otherwise, it's sort of a guessing game.  Maybe go with what seems to test best on the most people.  I think the LG P-09, Specialized McLaren, and Lazer Wasp AIR test well on lots of people.  But they might not on you.  The long tailed helmets are seemingly going away in favor of mid tailed or short tailed or bobtailed helmets that cause less of a penalty for head down/tail up positions.

I don't think there's a single helmet that has ever tested better with a shield vs sunglasses.  That stated, I prefer a shield for ease of use.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2016-02-14 3:12 PM

2016-02-14 4:09 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I've never seen a giro advantage 2 test "bad" on anyone. At the price you can get them for they are pretty much the "go-to" answer for "what helmet should I buy" without testing.
The other option is to buy the helmet you think looks the coolest and tell yourself it's the best.

As far as visors go vs. sunglasses.
The newest aero helmets that were designed with visors (Spec TT, Wasp, etc) test better with the visor than with sunglasses (at least in aerocoach's testing) but older helmets test better with sunglasses.
2016-02-14 4:49 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
I bought a Giro Attack Shield last summer. As many have said, the aero factor will be different depending on each individual. For me, here's what mattered:

1) My glasses constantly slipped down my nose during rides. This meant that I frequently had to come out of aero and re-position them.
2) On longer rides of 50+ miles, I tend to drop my head a fair amount when riding. With a traditional aero helmet that meant the tail would frequently stick straight up in the air.
3) The shield has been awesome in terms of convenience. I also prefer to run with just a visor (as opposed to sunglasses) so it's one less thing to think about in transition.

Best of luck!
2016-02-14 5:31 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I've never seen a giro advantage 2 test "bad" on anyone. At the price you can get them for they are pretty much the "go-to" answer for "what helmet should I buy" without testing.
The other option is to buy the helmet you think looks the coolest and tell yourself it's the best.

The newest aero helmets that were designed with visors (Spec TT, Wasp, etc) test better with the visor than with sunglasses (at least in aerocoach's testing) but older helmets test better with sunglasses.

I went upstairs to see what my aero helmet was, and wouldn't you know, it's an Advantage 2. When I bought it way back when, I just bought it becuase it was cheap. So that's cool. Although I've never done any sort of legit field testing, I've never had as high of mph/watts as the last time I wore it which was at B2B half. Actually, none of my rides since have even come close. I realize there are 1,000 variables, but given the difference, I'd have to say the helmet played a role.

Originally posted by tedjohn

I bought a Giro Attack Shield last summer. As many have said, the aero factor will be different depending on each individual. For me, here's what mattered:

1) My glasses constantly slipped down my nose during rides. This meant that I frequently had to come out of aero and re-position them.
2) On longer rides of 50+ miles, I tend to drop my head a fair amount when riding. With a traditional aero helmet that meant the tail would frequently stick straight up in the air.
3) The shield has been awesome in terms of convenience. I also prefer to run with just a visor (as opposed to sunglasses) so it's one less thing to think about in transition.

Best of luck!

I was looking at those for a day to day helmet. As noted, one of my initial draws to the shield was eye dryness and irritation. I thought the shield would be more aero and also help in the eye department. Apparently it's not more aero, but for everyday training, does the shield offer better eye protection from the wind? I wouldn't be concerned about the loss of aero as it's training, so it's really not an issue. I wouldn't wear it for races if that was the case.

Edited by 3mar 2016-02-14 5:33 PM
2016-02-14 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Originally posted by 3mar

Originally posted by Leegoocrap

I went upstairs to see what my aero helmet was, and wouldn't you know, it's an Advantage 2. When I bought it way back when, I just bought it becuase it was cheap. So that's cool. Although I've never done any sort of legit field testing, I've never had as high of mph/watts as the last time I wore it which was at B2B half. Actually, none of my rides since have even come close. I realize there are 1,000 variables, but given the difference, I'd have to say the helmet played a role.

Originally posted by tedjohn

Best of luck!

I was looking at those for a day to day helmet. As noted, one of my initial draws to the shield was eye dryness and irritation. I thought the shield would be more aero and also help in the eye department. Apparently it's not more aero, but for everyday training, does the shield offer better eye protection from the wind? I wouldn't be concerned about the loss of aero as it's training, so it's really not an issue. I wouldn't wear it for races if that was the case.

The Aero Shield still lets a fair amount of air through, maybe a little less than my glasses did. I do like the convenience of using it as an everyday helmet though.
2016-02-15 12:02 PM
in reply to: #5167019

User image

Franklin, TN
For me, the Giro Attack Shield blocks the wind pretty well. I used to tear up on descents with just my glasses on ... no longer a problem with the Giro.

2016-02-15 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
I thought having a shield style helmet would be a good idea, so I bought the Giro Attack.

However I decided I didn't like the shield, and went back to Rudy's Wingspan.

Personally I like the flexibility of sunglasses, and the shield was a problem if I wanted to take it off while riding/racing.

It might offer a slight aero advantage, but to me not worth it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Helmets with Eye Sheilds Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

road helmet vs tt helmet

Started by elkboy65
Views: 1332 Posts: 7

2012-01-06 7:50 AM brigby1

Cheaper helmets vs. Expensive helmets

Started by joker70
Views: 1532 Posts: 9

2010-08-10 8:12 AM portaledge

Bike shopping, an eye opening experience - recommendation please

Started by cobannero
Views: 2193 Posts: 24

2005-02-24 12:41 PM dovecom

Reporting on science (pulling the wool over one's eyes)

Started by ride_like_u_stole_it
Views: 1481 Posts: 19

2004-09-27 10:37 PM cadreamer

Sweat in my eyes? Pages: 1 2

Started by Angie
Views: 1991 Posts: 26

2004-06-15 2:46 PM Angie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 24, 2012
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How much time savings can you expect over the course of a triathlon by using an aero helmet?

date : December 15, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
Learn about the risks of protein underconsumption, eggs and your eyes and the differences between organic foods vs 'regular' foods.
date : June 4, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 2
Don't know how to setup your triathlon transition area? We cover everything from wetsuit tips, bike check, nutrition, shoes, equipment placement to actual race day execution.

date : January 7, 2007
author : Writebrained
comments : 1
Virtually weightless and vented to the hilt, the Limar 907 is almost transparent to the wearer. Additionally, the Limar 907 just looks cool.
date : May 30, 2005
author : Ontherun
Taking care of your equipment is very important, especially on a limited budget. The following are a few reminders of how to get your equipment to last as long as possible.

date : September 2, 2004
author : Ron
A few things to keep in mind.