General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtraining or dodgy heart rate monitor - lower than usual exercise heart rate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-02-20 4:55 AM

Subject: Overtraining or dodgy heart rate monitor - lower than usual exercise heart rate
Hi,

I've been seeing some lower than usual heart rate readings for my efforts during training that has me concerned it may be an overtraining symptom. Overall at moderate intensity it's around 10-15bpm too low and at high intensity as much as 25bpm. This is on a standard Garmin Heart Rate monitor on both the 800 and 910xt devices.

It all appears very strange because I'm not noticing it on other indicators which leads me to question the accuracy of the heart rate monitor even though it isn't showing anything erratic. For starters my performance hasn't dropped while other signs such as fatigue and irritable thought patterns aren't really there. The only other indicator to back up the findings is my resting heart rate has dropped fairly significantly on a few mornings. In fact I had a couple of rest days and that seemed to fix up the resting heart rate issue but the low exercise heart rate has still persisted.

In terms of the training program I've only been going for about 5 months so for sure it's not at the extreme level you normally associate with overtraining. Nonetheless I do still feel I am pushing what my body can handle pretty hard, particularly in terms of being able to have your speed work, endurance work and easier efforts all crammed into each week.

2016-02-20 5:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Overtraining or dodgy heart rate monitor - lower than usual exercise heart rate
Could this simply be increasing fitness? Five months is certainly long enough to see a gradual drop in both resting heart rate and exercise heart rate at the same level of intensity/perceived exertion. Of course it's not going to be an across the board, every day drop, but if on average it is lower, my guess is that it is fitness-related.

If not, and it's associated on those days with going slower, feeling tired, etc. then could be a fatigue issue. In that case the solution is obvious--back off a little; take regular rest days.

Another possibility is that something random is going on that you're not aware of. In particular, temperature, hydration, and caffeine intake (or lack thereof) can affect heart rate, definitely as much as the difference you describe. I usually train in pretty extreme heat/humidity in Vietnam; on the rare cool morning there, or at home in Oregon, my HR will easily be 10-20 beats lower at the same pace. Also, if you normally have coffee before a morning workout and you didn't on some days, that could make your exercise HR lower than usual--probably not a matter of 10-25 BPM though, unless you're really sensitive to the stuff. Dehydration can also jack up HR. Maybe on the low HR days, you are better hydrated? It would make a difference of 10-25 BPM in my case over a longer workout (2 hours plus) when training in the tropics; don't know about elsewhere.

ETA If it were a HR monitor issue it probably wouldn't be consistent across two monitors. When there's an issue, it typically involves random spikes and dips in heart rate which aren't related to changes in workout intensity or feelings of well-being. For example, when one of my old monitors was on the blink (dying sensor battery), it would sometimes spike to 212 (when I'd never gotten over 190 before, and that was toward the end of a hard tempo run in 100+ degree heat when I was almost hit by a motorbike!) and then declare me clinically dead for up to 5 minutes (HR=0). All the while I'm just tooling along at a moderate pace feeling perfectly fine. Those issues can be caused by electrical interference (from high-tension lines, electronics on people passing by, or even static from quick-dry shirts), battery problems, etc.

Edited by Hot Runner 2016-02-20 5:08 AM
2016-02-20 12:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: Overtraining or dodgy heart rate monitor - lower than usual exercise heart rate
Sounds to me like you're getting fit. Since you're using garmin devices, check your trending on garminconnect to see your heart rate has been trending downward over the last five months. I'd be willing to bet it has. . If you feel it's overtraining, take four days off and see if things change. From the info you've provided, it sounds like your aerobic base is improving. And as always, check with your doc if you still feel uneasy about it..

Edited by mdg2003 2016-02-20 12:49 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Overtraining or dodgy heart rate monitor - lower than usual exercise heart rate Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Low heart rate - Pacemaker???

Started by rnner66
Views: 6024 Posts: 22

2010-10-24 10:31 AM mxr746

My maximum heart rate is lower than predicted??

Started by fireandsnowman
Views: 1167 Posts: 5

2006-01-22 7:26 PM vortmax

my new low resting heart rate!

Started by jwbrandon
Views: 1087 Posts: 2

2005-08-13 6:41 PM David14

Heart Rate question

Started by BellinghamSpence
Views: 896 Posts: 3

2005-07-10 4:21 PM BellinghamSpence

Post Chemo Heart Rate

Started by PhotoRue
Views: 1399 Posts: 2

2005-02-06 10:44 AM Andrea
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 20, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
There is a serious, devoted athlete, committed to the task of triathlon. He is happy because his heart rate is low, his blood lactate is low and his chances in this year’s Kona lottery is high.

date : June 23, 2011
author : MultisportWorld
comments : 0
This panel discussion will cover many questions on heart rate monitors, powermeters and testing.
date : May 19, 2010
author : Patrick McCrann
Part 2 is about race day pacing, warming up and a discussion on the usefulness of powermeters and heart-rate monitors for half and full Iron distance races.

date : May 21, 2007
author : mikericci
Nutrition, hydration and pacing for the swim, bike and run of an olympic distance triathlon.
date : November 27, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion including HIM's, heart-rate monitors, water running, TT's, high kicks, hi vs low volume training and nutrition for weight loss.

date : November 29, 2004
author : chrisandniki
So for the triathlete, where do you begin? Which model is best? Here are some features to consider before looking at specific models.
date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
comments : 2
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.

date : August 30, 2004
author : sherrick
Becoming a Better Animal: How to Effectively Use Your Heart Rate Monitor.