Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 13m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I had just run a half marathon last month and had a ok training since than. My expectation wasn't too high. Wanted to improve about couple minutes faster (goal time 2:15). Plan was stay run with 2:20 pacer and pick up the pace in the second half as I felt the 2:10 would be too fast to stay with. As I was standing at the starting line and all the pace runner were lining themselves out. I saw that they had a 2:15 pacer as well. So I set myself there. The start of the race was a incline that got me winded and my asthma started to act up. As I was out of breath! I wasn't able to keep up with the pacer and decided the 220 pace was best and as long I can see the 215 flag. At mile 3 we hit another incline and asthma was still acting up. I keep my pace as best I could and kept my eye on the 220 paces. After that area the next couple miles were all down hill. By the time we got to the second aid station at the landfill turn off and I was running with the 220 group. It was at this point I deciding to run ahead of the pacer and hope for the best and maybe catch up with the 215 group. At this point the course turn into a dirt trail and then into the city pave trail, which was mostly down hill. I kept pace and slowly tried to caught up with runners a head of me. At about 7iish, I saw a runner off to the side on a potty break and I notice she was hold a pacer flag. Its was the 215 group! She said, she was on pace. I told her I wanted to finish close to her pace, however I didn’t feel I could keep up and I would just keep a eye out on her. At about mile 11-12ish, we had one last hell of a hill in the resident area. I was tired at this point and decided to power walk this section. I know after the hill, its was all down hill and flat to the finish line. As plan I would pick up the pace the last part and see what happen. With about 1/4 mile left, I caught up with the 215 pacer (she actually had stop as she was ahead of schedule) and finished with the pacer!
Watch time 2:14:10 and official time 2:13:54. My Garmin watch distance state 12.94. Little disappoint on the distance, but I did make my goal time!

What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Event comments:

Great local race. Well organized and get value on price. If your into finisher medal & race shirt. It big and well design. All aid station was well stock. Tons of volunteers.

Last updated: 2016-01-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
1. 10.27 2. 9.54 3. 10.16 4. 10.30 5. 10.20 6. 10.22 7. 9.58 8. 10.17 9. 10.32 10. 10.42 11. 11.15 12. 10.53 13. 9.11(0.94) distance
Course: Its a point to point race with couple nice down hills and rollers. In some of the section were dirt trails about a mile or two and the rest were all pave road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-02-22 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dog Town Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dog Town Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chi Town Half Marathon

Started by doxie
Views: 1504 Posts: 7

2012-04-19 7:56 PM SSMinnow

Chi Town Half Marathon

Started by superjorge1
Views: 846 Posts: 2

2012-04-01 5:24 PM ChiLakeShore

Chi Town Half Marathon

Started by ChiLakeShore
Views: 1126 Posts: 4

2012-04-02 12:30 PM abake

Dog Town Half Marathon

Started by utahrunner
Views: 1287 Posts: 5

2012-03-05 3:10 AM jenniefrost

Dog Town Half Marathon

Started by utahrunner
Views: 1071 Posts: 3

2011-03-03 2:15 AM minicar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : March 12, 2013
author : mistymills
comments : 5
Dog training techniques have surprising parallels to triathlon training and race preparation. All the lessons I THOUGHT were for my dogs started seeming very applicable to me! Here's what I learned.
date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.