General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Year of Triathlon - 70.3? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-03-11 7:35 PM
in reply to: #5170112

Subject: RE: First Year of Triathlon - 70.3?
Yes. You have time. Just put in the work and you'll be fine. For me, the swim is the least of my worries. I'm a slow swimmer but I just try and get to an area by myself and relax. Biking you can always coast at times to get a breather. The running is always th hardest.

2016-03-14 12:50 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

, Vermont
Update: I've been swimming a bit more. I had my third official swim class this past Saturday. Up until then, I felt like the classes were a little slow, but focusing on technique and form, rather than distance and speed, so I was ok with it, that's what I signed up for after all.

However, on Saturday we totaled 1,500+m in just under an hour. I'm not sure if 1,500m is a lot, but it was certainly the longest I've swam hard. It wasn't continuous, but broken up into 10 laps of continuous swimming for endurance practice, followed by 25m sprints alternating free and kick only.
2016-03-15 2:10 PM
in reply to: ninagski

Originally posted by ninagski

Update: I've been swimming a bit more. I had my third official swim class this past Saturday. Up until then, I felt like the classes were a little slow, but focusing on technique and form, rather than distance and speed, so I was ok with it, that's what I signed up for after all.

However, on Saturday we totaled 1,500+m in just under an hour. I'm not sure if 1,500m is a lot, but it was certainly the longest I've swam hard. It wasn't continuous, but broken up into 10 laps of continuous swimming for endurance practice, followed by 25m sprints alternating free and kick only.

Without knowing every detail about your fitness, it honestly sounds like you're a pretty fit person and you have plenty of time to train. This is what helped me quickly get over any mental barriers I had about completely a HIM. Because I was already fairly fit from running and doing some shorter triathlons I wasn't that worried but there still can be doubts because the 70.3 distance was unknown to me. So fairly early on in my swim training I just set out and swam the 1.2 miles continuously in the pool. I didn't care at what pace. I just wanted to do that distance without dying. Same with the bike. Once I got my mileage up a little I just set out and did 56 miles. I made sure not to kill myself but still went at a decent pace with minimal stops. That threw away any doubts I had and then after that I just followed a training program almost to the T. I missed only a single workout. Swimming is certainly not my strong point and I don't feel it's worth it for me to get coach (i.e. I don't want to spend the money) and pretty much every triathlon I'm in I end up MOP in swim and slightly above MOP in bike and swim. I think you'll be fine.
2016-03-16 12:09 PM

How did you feel after those 1500m?

HIM swim is something on the order of 1930 meters, and remember, you need to ride 56 miles and then run a half marathon after.

If you are simply doing it as a completitor and not a competitor, and feel comfy swimming 1500M now, I wouldn't worry about the swim as much as others are saying. To go from 1500M comfortably now to 2000M over the course of six months is nothing if you put in 3 sessions a week.

For a 1/2 IM, the swim is a much smaller section proportionally to the bike or run than in an oly or most sprints (reflecting most triathletes laziness about getting in, or dread of, the pool, IMO), so the swim is not as big a deal. Think about it.. it's only 400M more than an oly swim, but the HIM bike and run is more than TWICE as long...

Now if you want to be FAST on the swim, that's another ball game entirely. Could you have done that same 1500M in 20-21 minutes?

On to the Bike, again, 6 months is plenty of time, but it comes down to if you just want to finish or to be fast/competitive. It sounds like you have a lot of base endurance, but to get fast on the bike for a 56 mile ride and still have legs for the run is again a totally different story.

Finally, and one of the more important things in my opinion is that you should definitely NOT just do the high intensity lower hour training. You can get by with that for sprint tris, or AFTER you have already established a huge endurance base, but that type of base takes years to develop. I read somewhere that while you can do an IM from zero in a year, you need to train for much longer than that just to be able to do the training it takes to RACE an IM (yes, there are freakish exceptions, but they are exceptions). Plan on doing rides that are as long as you expect the entire HIM to take you in order to get your body used to working that hard for that long.

I'm in a similar circumstance as you - I am essentially going from zero after 18 months off my feet with broken bones in my feet to HIM, but I gave myself 9+ months to get there and have a big swim and bike background. I started training months ago (November 1) and already have done a sprint and an oly (races were in just the last few weeks). I felt pretty good during both, even got on the podium in the sprint, but was realllly feeling it on the oly during the run. That was partly due to a bike crash a couple weeks before the event hurting my ability to run, but still.. If I had to do a half on just two more months of training, while I know I could finish, I doubt I would be competitive and it would probably really hurt.
2016-03-16 3:33 PM
in reply to: davejustdave

Originally posted by davejustdave

How did you feel after those 1500m?

HIM swim is something on the order of 1930 meters, and remember, you need to ride 56 miles and then run a half marathon after.

If you are simply doing it as a completitor and not a competitor, and feel comfy swimming 1500M now, I wouldn't worry about the swim as much as others are saying. To go from 1500M comfortably now to 2000M over the course of six months is nothing if you put in 3 sessions a week.

For a 1/2 IM, the swim is a much smaller section proportionally to the bike or run than in an oly or most sprints (reflecting most triathletes laziness about getting in, or dread of, the pool, IMO), so the swim is not as big a deal. Think about it.. it's only 400M more than an oly swim, but the HIM bike and run is more than TWICE as long...

Now if you want to be FAST on the swim, that's another ball game entirely. Could you have done that same 1500M in 20-21 minutes?

On to the Bike, again, 6 months is plenty of time, but it comes down to if you just want to finish or to be fast/competitive. It sounds like you have a lot of base endurance, but to get fast on the bike for a 56 mile ride and still have legs for the run is again a totally different story.

Finally, and one of the more important things in my opinion is that you should definitely NOT just do the high intensity lower hour training. You can get by with that for sprint tris, or AFTER you have already established a huge endurance base, but that type of base takes years to develop. I read somewhere that while you can do an IM from zero in a year, you need to train for much longer than that just to be able to do the training it takes to RACE an IM (yes, there are freakish exceptions, but they are exceptions). Plan on doing rides that are as long as you expect the entire HIM to take you in order to get your body used to working that hard for that long.

I'm in a similar circumstance as you - I am essentially going from zero after 18 months off my feet with broken bones in my feet to HIM, but I gave myself 9+ months to get there and have a big swim and bike background. I started training months ago (November 1) and already have done a sprint and an oly (races were in just the last few weeks). I felt pretty good during both, even got on the podium in the sprint, but was realllly feeling it on the oly during the run. That was partly due to a bike crash a couple weeks before the event hurting my ability to run, but still.. If I had to do a half on just two more months of training, while I know I could finish, I doubt I would be competitive and it would probably really hurt.

I definitely agree with you on the swim. If you're not worried about being fast and your fitness level is decent and you're not a "brutal" swimmer then you can get through the swim without too much trouble. Especially if it's wetsuit legal. I just try to get to an outside area away from the scrum and just get a rhythm going.
2016-03-16 4:25 PM
in reply to: TriTampa2

, Vermont
Thanks for the votes of confidence! Definitely making me feel better and more along the lines of how I was thinking, but got a little disheartened here for a bit, started doubting myself. Swimming is the newest to me, I have a good biking background and feel 56mi is very doable, and running...well, if I have to chug along slowly, or speed walk, so be it, at least I won't drown on the run!

I felt pretty good after the 1500m swim. I felt like I had gotten some work in, but honestly, I could have gone longer - maybe not super fast - but I feel I had another solid 30 min in me.

I did the 1500+m workout this past Saturday with my group class, then on Monday got back in the pool and did about 1100m on my own (part was an 800m ladder: 50-100-150-200-150-100-50). I could feel it in my shoulders and hamstrings too, oddly enough, and I can tell I'm going to have to work on pacing - I go out too hard, too fast. Started to pick up on that in the second part of the ladder and tried to slow down the early parts of the longer legs so I could better control my breathing.

If I do the HIM in August, I'll just be looking to complete it. I don't expect to win any awards, but having said that, I also don't want to be DFL and would like a respectable time. What that time is...I have no idea at this point, but I can tell you that 1500m in 20 min, no freakin way.

2016-03-17 2:18 PM

User image

When you say you run 1-2x per week, are those 2 mile runs or 10 mile runs?
2016-03-18 10:32 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

, Vermont
Originally posted by happyscientist

When you say you run 1-2x per week, are those 2 mile runs or 10 mile runs?

They're usually around 5mi (give or take), but run at intervals alternating speed and incline. Here's an example:

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Treadmill-Workout-Help-You-Run-Fast...
2016-03-19 8:09 AM

User image

I ask because I have done both of my HIM on 20-25 mpw of running, and I think a bit more would have helped, especially since the run courses were hilly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Year of Triathlon - 70.3? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Improvement over your first year in triathlon

Started by Rick Kane
Views: 2135 Posts: 13

2013-02-05 10:22 PM Rick Kane

My first flat after three years of triathlon...

Started by pga_mike
Views: 1103 Posts: 10

2010-11-29 10:04 PM xeon

Finishe first tri, well first one after 13 year break

Started by cstoulil
Views: 715 Posts: 2

2010-08-24 2:20 PM TriAya

Ten Things I learned During My First Year of Racing Triathlons Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Dream Chaser
Views: 6519 Posts: 51

2009-02-28 10:33 PM jashac

First triathlon in 15 years

Started by Rfish
Views: 874 Posts: 4

2008-05-22 10:34 AM Butchcantswim
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 29, 2015
author : Seht
comments : 8
My race from obesity to Vineman 70.3

date : February 20, 2013
author : barryoberholzer
comments : 1
My lungs were burning and my legs were hurting but I had the biggest smile on my face as I ran on the red carpet and received my Ironman 70.3 medal.
date : December 31, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 2
For most people, there is a story in how they came to the sport as beginners. Some of the most inspiring of those beginner tales begin with health scares.

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : March 20, 2007
author : Diane1961
I ponder my training. Should I have trained differently? Should I have trained more? Should I have trained harder? Should I not be wearing a sail?

date : March 21, 2005
author : Ontherun
Until last year an Ironman was just a dream. Now it has become a goal. I needed to start, but where?