General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on Training with Power Meter on Indoor Trainer Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-02 9:58 PM

Subject: Question on Training with Power Meter on Indoor Trainer
Whoever is answering, thank you for your time to read through my question/doubts.

Over the weekdays I use my Tri bike with Stages power meter (Left crank arm only) on Kinetic Kurt trainer.

When I observe my power numbers, I see that I can reach to my Z4/Z5 (FTP-230 W) with a cadence of 90+ on an easy to medium gear. But when I try to do strength workout, going into a big gear (smaller cog on the rear), my cadence definitely drops, and at the same time, it is really hard for me to get into Z4. I usually stay in low Z3, and my legs get tired too.

Questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong in my strength workout ? How do others, like Pro's go into high Wattage at low cadence ?
2) If what I am doing is wrong, then how should I correct my workouts ?
3) Is there a right gear combination in which one should train for different workouts (over/unders, endurance / anaerobic / strength) ?
4) Should I forgo the power numbers, and look at the Cadence ?

Appreciate your time.

thanks !!

2016-03-03 5:49 AM
in reply to: sikhstride

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Question on Training with Power Meter on Indoor Trainer

I struggle with hitting higher power numbers at lower cadence as well.  

You could also be running into one of the limitations of your Stages PM in that it is only measuring your left leg and doubling the number.  My PM gives me a (pseudo) L/R power balance and at lower cadence I tend to be more right leg dominant while at a high cadence my left leg takes over.  I've seen cases where a left only PM would read 20-30w high or low depending on what I was doing.

2016-03-03 6:04 AM

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
People have different strengths, and different cadence levels at which they are comfortable. Plenty of people seem most comfortable riding at like 85rpm, some people at like 95rpm. I just did two power tests this past weekend (20min FTP and 5min VO2Max) and both ended up having average cadences of 108rpm.

Generally speaking lower cadences stress your muscles more, whereas higher cadences stress your cardiovascular system. It's beneficial to work both, just as its beneficial to be able to ride at different cadences comfortably.

I don't think it's necessarily a problem that you're tiring quicker at lower cadences, it's just indicative of where our strengths/weakness are. Keep working at it and it'll improve.
2016-03-03 6:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by sikhstride

Whoever is answering, thank you for your time to read through my question/doubts.

Over the weekdays I use my Tri bike with Stages power meter (Left crank arm only) on Kinetic Kurt trainer.

When I observe my power numbers, I see that I can reach to my Z4/Z5 (FTP-230 W) with a cadence of 90+ on an easy to medium gear. But when I try to do strength workout, going into a big gear (smaller cog on the rear), my cadence definitely drops, and at the same time, it is really hard for me to get into Z4. I usually stay in low Z3, and my legs get tired too.

Questions:
1) Am I doing something wrong in my strength workout ? How do others, like Pro's go into high Wattage at low cadence ?
2) If what I am doing is wrong, then how should I correct my workouts ?
3) Is there a right gear combination in which one should train for different workouts (over/unders, endurance / anaerobic / strength) ?
4) Should I forgo the power numbers, and look at the Cadence ?

Appreciate your time.

thanks !!

All perfectly normal. Low cadence at Z4 is hard.

Power is the result of how much force you are putting on the pedals AND how fast your spinning.
So you can put more force at a lesser cadence OR less force at a faster cadence and generate the same amount of power.

Depending on the force applied you are recruiting different muscle fibres. Some fibres are more resilient to fatigue some are more powerful. When you hit around Z4 your body knows how to find the right mix of muscle fibre and self selects a cadence so that the force applied is just right and using the right combination of muscle fibre. This is that whole conservation of cadence being self selected.

If you drop cadence at a given power you need to increase force. If you do this at Z4 you are going into an area that your body doesn't necessarily like , is less fatige resilient and it's hard. This is normal and good. You are recruiting muscle you are trying to develop.

If you are on a strength plan the power, cadence, duration and recovery of the intervals should be specified. Low cadence, low power will result in low force and not help so don't just go by cadence.

You can do the equivalent of long moderate climbs at low cadence or very steep low cadence hill repeats at VO2 but the important element is being at a % of maximum torque/force. But this is your plan that should be specifying this.

Edited by marcag 2016-03-03 6:26 AM
2016-03-03 7:18 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Extreme Veteran
Some typos above I cannot correct. Sorry. It's "conversation" not "conservation". Oh well, I suspect you get the idea.
2016-03-03 7:57 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
I seem to be the opposite. The higher the power, the lower the cadence. Since I have been doing trainer/PM workouts, my average cadence has dropped significantly. For intervals, I have a hard time meeting my power at anything over 70. I was worried about it at first, and tried to force a different cadence, but now I just go by feel and let nature take its course.

2016-03-03 7:59 AM

Master
Northern IL

How low is your cadence for this?

2016-03-03 8:19 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Originally posted by 3mar I seem to be the opposite. The higher the power, the lower the cadence. Since I have been doing trainer/PM workouts, my average cadence has dropped significantly. For intervals, I have a hard time meeting my power at anything over 70. I was worried about it at first, and tried to force a different cadence, but now I just go by feel and let nature take its course.

Same for me.  Higher the power, lower the cadence when doing trainer workouts.

2016-03-03 11:33 AM

Is there a particular Gear combination that I should be picking when doing strength workout on the trainer ?
I googled and came across the following article :
http://britishcyclesport.com/2013/training/on-bike-strength-trainin...

When training with Power Meter, and doing a strength workout, is one supposed to focus on power numbers, OR still look at cadence by dropping a gear or two.

2016-03-03 1:25 PM

Originally posted by sikhstride Is there a particular Gear combination that I should be picking when doing strength workout on the trainer ? I googled and came across the following article : http://britishcyclesport.com/2013/training/on-bike-strength-trainin... When training with Power Meter, and doing a strength workout, is one supposed to focus on power numbers, OR still look at cadence by dropping a gear or two.

You're probably overthinking it for a triathlete cyclist, but in general, for 'strength' type activities you're focusing on building peak power over shorter intervals, and that calls for low cadence with heavy load and high power numbers as a result. 

Note that while it's still important in triathlon cycling, leg cycling strength is less important in triathlon cycling compared to road cycling, since in road cycling, you have to cover breaks in the peloton or lose your draft, which means repeated high-power surges that you have to cover or get dropped. You don't have to do that in triathlon - in fact, you will generally ride better by avoiding surges as much as possible.

The simplest and error-free method of power-based training on the bike is to just forget about your cadence, and go by power alone. As long as your power numbers are improving, you will be faster. I wouldn't worry about cadence until you're at the point where you're nearly maxxing out all your gains with hard bike training, and need sharpening in specific areas.

2016-03-03 2:13 PM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by GMAN 19030

Originally posted by 3mar I seem to be the opposite. The higher the power, the lower the cadence. Since I have been doing trainer/PM workouts, my average cadence has dropped significantly. For intervals, I have a hard time meeting my power at anything over 70. I was worried about it at first, and tried to force a different cadence, but now I just go by feel and let nature take its course.

Same for me.  Higher the power, lower the cadence when doing trainer workouts.

And I'm the opposite of that.  I'm usually 90 RPM for threshold stuff, but for 1 min on/off type efforts I'm around 100-110 RPM.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on Training with Power Meter on Indoor Trainer Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Smart Trainer vs Power Meter

Started by g_shotts
Views: 4459 Posts: 14

2015-12-22 9:32 AM magic

Power Meter or CycleOps Virtual Trainer

Started by Major BC
Views: 2423 Posts: 11

2013-02-02 8:39 AM AMayfield19

Newbie Question - Training with a Power Meter

Started by smallard
Views: 2277 Posts: 8

2013-01-07 2:53 PM smallard

"Power" training without power meter?

Started by scott319
Views: 2390 Posts: 7

2011-07-12 3:09 PM gadzooks

Value of a "trainer only" power meter?

Started by SAquavia
Views: 687 Posts: 2

2009-10-01 9:53 AM JorgeM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 30, 2016
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Keeping your bike from being damaged on the trainer

date : June 24, 2011
author : jasongootman
In part three, the coach answers questions on power meter workouts, threshold calculations and how strength training affects power.
date : May 5, 2011
In part two, you will learn several power meter workouts from race intensity, to aerobic and anaerobic workouts.

date : March 18, 2011
In part one, you will learn the fundamentals of power training and the benefits of training with a power meter.
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : December 28, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 1
Tired of your bike trainer already? Here are two indoor bike trainer workouts that you can use to keep things interesting while keeping your cycling fitness up.
date : October 21, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Training with a power meter will make sure that you are spending every minute on the bike effectively. Racing with a power meter will keep you humble and in your proper zones on race day.

date : April 1, 2008
author : sportfactory
How will a power meter help my cycling training and racing? A few questions and answers will help determine if a power meter will be good for you.