General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting into to this. Is this plan way off the mark or something to work towards. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-03 2:31 AM

Subject: Starting into to this. Is this plan way off the mark or something to work towards.
Hi all.
I've just decided to focus on completing a HIM this coming Sept '16.. I've done a couple of half marathons and a sprint tri in the past as well as playing a-lot of competitive team sports so the running aspect doesn't daunt me. That said, like most, the swimming is my weak link.

So here's where I'm at. - I've joined a masters swim program 3 weeks back.. with the steady focus of moving up to a consistent 2000 yrd swim with no breaks in the pool. Working on technique and stamina etc. I was a self thought swimmer from when I was kid.. no technique and never done laps so basically I was a slow drowner as opposed to a swimmer. 3 weeks into the training sessions, I'm finally up to a 1500 yrds (broken) 1 hr session with the basics of swimming stroke kicking in.

My goal for now is to focus totally on the swimming from now until June. 5 days out of 7 - 1 hour sessions. Then come May start adding the running and cycling into the daily mix. The end goal on the swimming is to be able to hit a comfortable 2500 to 3000 yrd session, just so I know I can swim the open water safely. [ I kid you not, 3 weeks ago I could barely do 2 lengths in the pool without coughing up my lungs.]

On day 6 and the odd day in between I knock out a 45 min, 10 / 11 mile mtn bike cycle which I like, as it forces me to work just to keep up speed, but more so to give me some saddle time until I get a road bike - something is better then nothing. Day 7 a light 3 to 6 mile run.. nothing strenuous.

Come June my logic is to start working to one of the many good plans out there - yet to be fully decided which one - lots of reading yet, but thinking one where I get 2 activities / bricks in on a daily basis 5 out of 7 days. With maybe a Wed rest and a Sun rest. Light on the start of the week, building up to heavier end of the week .. and increase the load week by week with a tail off 10 to 14 days out from the race in Sept - I'm thinking of doing the Santa Cruz 70.2 come Sept. Not to mention add in food / nutrition consideration along the way. And actually get on a road bike consistently versus the mtn bike right now.

So here's my question - - Is this approach reasonable to work up to hitting the 70.2 safely and comfortably by Sept. Yes each person is unique, but is there anything alarming about taking this approach.. is combined training(swim.bike.run) from May a good target? and will 6 months be enough to train ?

Tks everyone and very interested in your thoughts etc

For reference I'm 36yr M, 5ft,10, 210 lbs, solid mass. Can run a steady 7.5 min mile on the treadmill.

S.

2016-03-03 7:44 AM
in reply to: seanmacp123

User image

Subject: RE: Starting into to this. Is this plan way off the mark or something to work towards.
Six months is enough to train. Yes. I like the emphasis you're putting on swimming because a raw truth of swimming is that if you want to improve you've got to do a lot of it.

Are you saying though that you won't do any running or cycling until May?
2016-03-03 7:52 AM

User image

Birmingham, Alabama
Subject: RE: Starting into to this. Is this plan way off the mark or something to work towards.
The focus on swimming sounds wise if that's where you need work, but I'd still work in a run and a ride once or twice a week (or more if you can).

I just returned to the pool after running and biking through the winter (about a 5 month layoff) and I was surprised at how much I regressed. I regret not swimming at least a little each week.

2016-03-03 8:17 AM

User image

, South Carolina
What about working on a Sprint training plan as a goal for June? Not like a goal to be FOP but as an assist to get your base established in all 3 while continuing to focus on the swim?
2016-03-03 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

I am somewhat confused by your statement about training to swim 2000y with no breaks.  Are you currently training to do long swims only, as opposed to shorter sets?

Any swimmer will tell you to pretty much NEVER do long swim sets like that.  That a 40x50 or 20x100 or 10x200 is more beneficial than a 1x2000.

Disregard if you are doing shorter sets.  But still question the reasoning for ever doing one long continuous swim.

I'd also start mixing in running and cycling now.  I don't see a reason to wait until May.

Additionally, start focusing on your nutrition (not just race day but overall) and body composition now.  At 5'10" and 210 lbs you have plenty of extra poundage to melt away in the next few months.  Every pound lost just makes you faster and lessens the beating on your body.  Losing 30-40 pounds will probably pay off way more than any swim, bike, or run training if we're being honest.  Losing that weight while SBR training makes it even better.

Edited by GMAN 19030 2016-03-03 8:32 AM
2016-03-03 9:17 AM

User image

, North Carolina
I think that your on the right track with the swimming. You'll be surprised how much technique makes a difference. If you can run 7:30 miles then you have the lungs to make it happen.

You will need a day of rest from now till June, it looks like you'll be going 7 days a week from now till then.

I know that you want to swim as much as possible. But I think that you can get there on 3-4 days a week. I know that the swim is daunting, but you will need to build more of a cycling base that 11 miles a week will get you. A HIM is 56 miles. You'll be hard pressed to jump from 11miles a week to 56 in July/August.

You are basically 27 weeks out right now. Most 1/2 Iron plans are in the 20 week range.

My suggestion is that you should be running and biking at least 2x a week during your swim focus time then at 20 weeks out you need to get to 3x for swim/bike/run.

3x per week will have you doing lots of 2 work outs per day and still having a day off. Most 2-a-days are not bricks. They are separate sessions.

2016-03-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

Tks Amy,,,
I was thinking of doing a short run 3 to 7 miles once a week on what is technically the rest day and step that up come May, and also 1 x 1hr cycle per week to allow me get over the initial learning curve of the swim.. then step that up from May.

So minimal running while I focus on the swimming, then step it up steadily to 3 sets maxing at 10 miles per week each .

S.
2016-03-03 10:10 AM
in reply to: marti038

Cheers Marti..
Copy. A light run and cycle was what I'm doing but only once each per week. The consensus seems to be add a few more, which I think I'll start to do. My thought process is the pool aspect will keep the lungs in shape as I get up to speed on the swim but no harm adding in a little extra mileage on the running and cycling.

Tks again.
S
2016-03-03 10:13 AM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

I like that idea... I've been thinking about what about also intentionally swimming a little of course to add an extra couple of hundred yrds to the swim. Obviously in reason and sight of the course monitors.

Tks again
S.
2016-03-03 10:23 AM
in reply to: GMAN 19030

Hi Gman, apologies on the confusion.. the swimming training is all short sets, for example last nights session, 200 warmup (2 x100), 200 with pull bouy (4x50), 200 kick (8x25)... then swim 300 to 250 to 200 to 150 to 100 to 50 with 2 to 3 min break between to get the lungs back.

Copy re adding run and cycling sooner rather then later.

Copy re the nutrition... I'm pretty good on that front, dont' eat out and cook fresh and healthy daily. Don't drink either. I'm a muscular build so in training mode will hoover about 195 to 200. But agree carrying less is much better, and I do intend to get down to the lowest I can go.

Tks again.

S.
2016-03-03 10:31 AM
in reply to: 0

Hi Nick,
Copy re the bike. Right now yes its 7 days, but no reason I can't pull that into any of the training days to make it completely a rest day.

Re swim technique I am already seeing it... just getting to the point of understanding buoyancy has been a eureka moment this week.

Re the run. my intention is to keep it locked at a max 10 miles session and maybe throw a 1/2 marathon in approx July. Sound ok?

Tks again.

Shane.

Edited by seanmacp123 2016-03-03 10:52 AM

2016-03-03 1:13 PM

User image

That's the only thing I would say is iffy. You will lose run and bike conditioning if you drop to just one session a week for very long. So if you want to do daily swims some of those need to be doubles with other disciplines.
2016-03-03 2:19 PM
in reply to: miamiamy

Tks Amy.. I'll incorporate accordingly.

Best
S.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Starting into to this. Is this plan way off the mark or something to work towards. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm starting to lean back towards a TT over a road bike

Started by Meathead
Views: 1336 Posts: 25

2014-07-11 12:41 PM Sidney Porter

ways to balance workouts, work, and family tips and suggestions

Started by triitoncemaybetwice
Views: 2517 Posts: 25

2012-07-28 6:45 AM KateTri1

2 year plan...err...starting to plan

Started by BoobieDr
Views: 2337 Posts: 10

2011-04-07 3:01 PM JBarwick

Could be off the mark--my training

Started by sax
Views: 806 Posts: 4

2009-04-27 10:45 AM jszat

"Going Long" Training plans-am I missing something???

Started by glf33
Views: 2361 Posts: 9

2004-11-07 9:26 AM BadgerIronMan
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.