60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 16m 39s
Overall Rank = 5/19
Age Group = Cat 5
Age Group Rank = 5/19
Pre-race routine:

This race followed the Cat 4/5 race I did earlier in the day
which you can read about here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

After the Cat 4/5 race I sat and watched the Cat 3/4 race and one of the women's races (Cat 4 I think).
Event warmup:

Took a warmup spin for about 13 minutes and again, was last to show up at the start, in the back row.
Bike
  • 16m 39s
  • 6.8 miles
  • 24.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Having finished my race just 2.5 hours earlier I wasn't sure what to expect in this one. I did notice a few guys that were also in the Cat 4/5 race so a lot of us were in the same boat. Last week I finished 5th in this race so I was hoping for similar results in this 19 person field.

The start was clean and uneventful and again, I was happy staying in the rear and trying not to be too aggressive. This race would only be 8 laps with one prime in lap 4 or 5. First few laps were fine but then there was separation. Four or Five guys took off from the front and I was in the back group. We went around a few laps and they pretty much took the prime as at least 5-6 seconds were between them and us. I rode much better this race than last in terms of staying on someones wheel. I'm also learning to accelerate out of the saddle while keeping my hands on the bottom of the bars.

With about 3 laps to go I was feeling pretty good and I accelerated in an attempt to leave the second group and see if I could make some ground on the lead 4. I did gap the group by a bit but they recovered in half a lap. So I moved left, slowed and let them go by so I could get in behind them. We were a pack of 4, all other riders were well back by now. As we were on a straight away heading towards the start line and bell lap the three in front of me slowed a little and I again, took off and this time they could not recover. They award points for top 8 and only 4 riders were ahead of us so maybe they just didn't care about where they placed as long as it was top 8. Either that or they were just "done" for the day.

So that's two weeks in a row I was 5th.
What would you do differently?:

We'll see how I feel next week. I may try and stay with the front group or at least in the front if the group stays together.

Our pace this week was faster than last, 24.5 mph average compared to last weeks 23.7. There was some tough wind last week, very little this week so that's part of it. I'm still happy I could sustain that pace after the Cat 4/5 race earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

About a 5 minute easy ride then had to pack up and go home.

Last updated: 2016-03-05 12:00 AM
Biking
00:16:39 | 06.8 miles | 24.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/19
Overall: 5/19
Performance: Good
Ave/Max HR 153/169
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-06 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Spring Fling #2 Cat 5

2016-03-08 2:43 PM
in reply to: #5170785

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Spring Fling #2 Cat 5

5th, that's awesome!!  Great work!  Thankfully this race sounds much less nerve-wracking than the 4/5 race.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Fling #2 Cat 5 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spring Fling #2 Cat 4/5

Started by reecealan
Views: 1096 Posts: 5

2016-03-11 12:14 PM reecealan

Spring Fling Series #1 Cat 5

Started by reecealan
Views: 1216 Posts: 2

2016-03-05 9:24 AM TJHammer

Standing Springs Spring Fling

Started by Chaderbox
Views: 1202 Posts: 4

2009-05-04 2:07 AM tritwinmom

Frisco Spring Fling

Started by anna banana
Views: 662 Posts: 1

2005-07-09 2:42 PM anna banana

Spring Fling

Started by esnagel
Views: 1063 Posts: 6

2005-06-22 8:37 PM Manatee Express
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 17, 2005
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Training in the cold can be effective and fun with some planning. Overall, prepare for the environment, stay hydrated and dry, listen to your body and have a great safe cold weather outing.