General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick Workouts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-08 3:23 PM

Springboro, Ohio
Subject: Brick Workouts
My goal by June is to complete a Sprint triathlon. I can complete each event by themselves, but I haven't started combining events. At what point should I start brick workouts and/or combining events? Now, or when? I am not looking at any training guides, just going by feel really.

2016-03-08 3:52 PM
in reply to: UnclePat

User image

Subject: RE: Brick Workouts

I always preferred to keep my run and bike workouts separate unless I was time crunched.  I only ran off the bike maybe once every three weeks just to get used to the feeling and to test my bike pacing.  For an Oly...probably run for 20 minutes max after a 2 hour bike.

For a newer triathlete, I think it is a feeling you have to get used to...both physically and mentally.  Your legs will feel a little wobbly...but it passes.  But you don't need to do it a lot in order to run well off the bike.  Building bike and run fitness...regardless if you separate your bike and run workouts, is the best way to improve running off the bike.

2016-03-08 3:54 PM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

"Your best bricks come from race day" 

-Chris McCormack

2016-03-08 4:00 PM

Master
Northern IL

Maybe do it a couple times in May & June, but until then just do you best with separate run and bike training. You'll run better off the bike as you become better at each of these.

2016-03-08 8:03 PM
in reply to: brigby1

Springboro, Ohio
Okay. I won't try any until my first mini tri. Thanks all.
2016-03-08 8:25 PM

User image

If this is your first time, I would suggest you do them a couple of times a week for three weeks before the race. On my first race, I felt like I was going to die during the run and wished that I had done more bricks. After a couple of races, I did less and less.

2016-03-08 9:02 PM
in reply to: b2run

Springboro, Ohio
It will be my first Triathlon (June 19th). I think I'm going to work in some in the two months prior. Probably on my short/2 event workout days. Like others have said, 'work them in slowly.'
2016-03-08 11:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maybe I am going against the grain here, but I'd get them in as early as possible.

If there are no issues, fantastic.

If there are issues, you'll know what to work on!!

Personally at intensity I've found that if I don't do transition workouts, then I will get slowed down at the beginning of the run as my leg muscles keep *trying* to cramp, but once my body is used to the change in practice, I have a much better time on race day.

Practicing your transitions can save valuable time as well, and help eliminate mistakes on race day.
2016-03-09 8:30 AM

User image

, North Carolina
First, I'd recommend a training plan. Going by feel is good but a training plan will help. You don't have to follow one specifically but it does help. Almost all plans have bricks towards the end of the training plan.

There is a saying, "Nothing new on race day."

You will want to practice all aspects of the race before that day.
Open water swimming
Transitions
Clothing
Nutrition (not as important during sprint but night before and breakfast)
And running off the bike.

You don't need a full 5k after a good bike but a good solid run after would be my recommendation.
2016-03-09 8:55 AM
in reply to: dfquigley

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by dfquigley Maybe I am going against the grain here, but I'd get them in as early as possible. If there are no issues, fantastic. If there are issues, you'll know what to work on!! Personally at intensity I've found that if I don't do transition workouts, then I will get slowed down at the beginning of the run as my leg muscles keep *trying* to cramp, but once my body is used to the change in practice, I have a much better time on race day. Practicing your transitions can save valuable time as well, and help eliminate mistakes on race day.

I don't think anyone is saying to do none, but when you think about it, what is probably a newer runner likely isn't that great at it so going at the transition early is trying to go from really awful right off the bike to awful running. It'll work better trying to develop their running more first. See what that feels like and then they'll have a better idea of how things are going when they have a better idea of what they're doing with the activity being performed.

2016-03-09 9:02 AM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by UnclePat My goal by June is to complete a Sprint triathlon. I can complete each event by themselves, but I haven't started combining events. At what point should I start brick workouts and/or combining events? Now, or when? I am not looking at any training guides, just going by feel really.

You WILL complete it.......have fun.  You'll have plenty of time to worry about bricks, etc. once you see if you like it. 

You can read this crap all day and all you will end up doing is completely over-complicating what should be a fantastic day for you. 

Enjoy your race!!  You have NO worries.

2016-03-09 10:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I agree with the above. I don't care how many bricks (bike to run) I do, I'll never get rid of that weird feeling. So, I just know it's gonna happen and embrace it. I don't get all the importance placed on them (bricks). For a sprint, you're not really worried about running on tired legs, anyway.

I think my T2 transitions (first three sprints I ever did) were :48, :41 and 1:00. I don't think I ever practiced running through them. Setting them up? Yes.

Go have fun.

Edited by nc452010 2016-03-09 10:30 AM
2016-03-09 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I'll do a couple of bricks in the last few of weeks leading up to a race, but will just run a mile or two off the bike to the point where I get my legs under me.  It also gives me a chance to practice my T2 skills.

For me, running off the bike has always been more psychological than anything.  You're really training your mind more than your body to get through the first 1/2 mile or so of the run.

The first couple of times it feels awful, but once you learn how it feels, then it's no big deal.  

Good luck,

Mark

2016-03-11 7:38 PM
in reply to: #5171171

When I'm in triathlon training season, I almost always run after biking. It might be only a mile or I might just run 10-15 minutes. I also have pre-planned longer bricks
2016-03-11 9:35 PM

Sarasota, Florida
I would recommend doing a couple because it's a weird sensation and it takes practice.
They aren't fun at first but you get used to them. I love transition runs just to play with that feeling I used to hate.
Full bricks can feel pretty tough if you push yourself. By full brick I mean adding a 5k or 10k after a ride.
But I find 2 mile transition runs pretty fun.
You do get used to them if not addicted. They kind of leave me feeling high.
2016-03-13 6:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Originally posted by dfquigley

Maybe I am going against the grain here, but I'd get them in as early as possible.

If there are no issues, fantastic.

If there are issues, you'll know what to work on!!

Personally at intensity I've found that if I don't do transition workouts, then I will get slowed down at the beginning of the run as my leg muscles keep *trying* to cramp, but once my body is used to the change in practice, I have a much better time on race day.

Practicing your transitions can save valuable time as well, and help eliminate mistakes on race day.

This has most definitely been my case. What a relief to hear someone else say it! Especially the hamstrings that off the bike all of a sudden say,"wait! what!? i have to help you RUN!?"

Edited by TJHammer 2016-03-13 6:13 PM

2016-03-13 6:31 PM
in reply to: #5171171

Springboro, Ohio
Thx all for the input. I think I'll add one this week and see how it feels. Again thx guys!
2016-03-13 6:32 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
I had a lot of trouble going from one event to another at first. I found it helpful to do all three once a week until I got comfortable with it. That was just me though (and it was, and still is totally against the norm) but it helped me. Now I rarely do bricks. Leading up to a race I'll do a couple of runs off the bike, but nothing more than a couple of miles.

Do whatever you need to in order to feel comfortable, regardless of what the norm is. Oh...and have fun.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brick Workouts Rss Feed