General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to do in between triathlons ? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-15 7:59 AM

Subject: what to do in between triathlons ?
Hello, looking for some advice. I am doing my first tri (olympic) in May. Training is going well but Im lookingfor advice on what to do after the race . Im planning on doing a second tri at the end of September and think it would be silly to start the 18 week plan on week one again. I will do some running events sprinkled in as well. Thanks - Pete

2016-03-15 8:43 AM
in reply to: pmbooth

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: what to do in between triathlons ?
Well.....You could train your butt off; utilize a plan based on your new fitness level.....and rock your fall race.

Surely you thought of that, though.
2016-03-15 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
  • Another Triathlon
  • Train
  • Gain weight then try to lose it during next training block, you know, just for fun.
  • Color Run
  • Crossfit
  • Watch every episode of 'According to Jim'
  • Another triathlon

If you need more ideas, let me know.

2016-03-15 9:13 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I normally do about one race a month during the season.  I'll take a recovery week after a race, then start building again up until my next race.  If I have a longer break between races then I'll try to keep the same volume going, but might back off on the intensity until 3-4 weeks out.

Mark.  

2016-03-15 9:27 AM

User image

• Work on what ever your weaknesses were from your race.  Spend a few weeks with an emphasis on swimming if you feel that needs then most work.  Then pick back up on the plan you are using at whatever fitness level you feel you are at.  
  • Do the second half of this plan again and find a more advanced one to start on building to your next race. 
2016-03-15 9:39 AM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

• Work on what ever your weaknesses were from your race.  Spend a few weeks with an emphasis on swimming if you feel that needs then most work.  Then pick back up on the plan you are using at whatever fitness level you feel you are at.  
  • Do the second half of this plan again and find a more advanced one to start on building to your next race. 

I like to evaluate my race and see where I could improve, what mistakes I made and how can I fix it. Then I continue on making my swimming/biking/running stronger. Triathlon is so much fun, how about some sprint races between?

2016-03-15 9:53 AM

So you are asking for advice on how to structure your training. You are not asking for advice on how many events to race. You are correct. Typically a person isn't going to want to re-enter their base training phase after an event. You would want to "build" toward your next event. You could race some more events in the summer to make things interesting. You said this is your first triathlon so you might want to wait until after the race to find out what things went right and what things went wrong. I'd wager that you'll come away wishing you had run more, or that you had paced your bike better. So you could spend your summer months building run frequency and mileage which would then make for a more enjoyable 10K. You could take your cycling days and add some additional intensity during the week with some interval work. Again, as one poster said it all depends on what your weaknesses are and I'm sure you'll know what areas need work after your race. Good luck and enjoy.
2016-03-15 12:40 PM

Thank you for your advice. I will reevaluate my weaknesses after the race and work on them while maintaining at about the week 10-12 volume then ramp up 6-8 weeks prior. I will be running a couple more half marathons in that time frame to help keep the endurance up. I dont think entering any additional tri's this year would be wise yet. I dont want to get burned out and frustrated before I have enough experience. (Looking at big picture and long term goals) Thank you
2016-03-15 2:16 PM

For me, I like to schedule about 5 triathlons a year. I also do a handful of running races a year. And then a few cycling events. Anything more than that and I just feel like it's too much. In be between races I will usually take a breather on really focused training. I still run, bike, and swim but have less of set training goal. and then, depending on the triathlon distance, I will start ramping about training.
2016-03-15 7:09 PM
in reply to: #5172074

User image

I am still kinda new but I feel most beginner plans train you to a volume to finish. If you are already running HM may focus on building swim and bike distances. I would wager that after you first race you will be looking to fit another in before that fall race
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » what to do in between triathlons ? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Anyone done the TROIKA Triathlon in Spokane, WA?

Started by ironman2010
Views: 1313 Posts: 4

2007-01-05 12:27 PM Nob

Anyone ever done an "indoor triathlon"?

Started by jmk-brooklyn
Views: 1173 Posts: 9

2006-11-01 3:46 PM adina

Has anyone done a relay triathlon?

Started by bmax
Views: 780 Posts: 3

2005-05-03 10:55 AM madcow

anyone doing Stonebridge Ranch Triathlon (Dallas) 10/3?

Started by ssyba
Views: 494 Posts: 1

2004-09-22 10:51 AM ssyba

Who's doing their first triathlon this weekend? Pages: 1 2

Started by the bear
Views: 1549 Posts: 30

2004-08-20 9:38 PM Zilla
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.
date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"