General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Bricks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-15 11:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Subject: Talk to me about Bricks
I have my first HIM coming up in 2 months. Most of my bricks have been bike/run. Today I did a 2200 yard swim followed by a short 20 minute ride at threshold followed by a 5k run. It's the first time I have done all three back to back to back on a training day.

So what bricks work well for you? I am interested both in what combinations and lengths. If it makes a difference I am a good cyclist and good swimmer but awful runner.

Thanks in advance.

2016-03-15 12:14 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
Subject: RE: Talk to me about Bricks
My logs are accurate. Saturdays we're doing 2000-2500yds + 1:30+ trainer rides and then a 3-4mi. run.

2016-03-15 3:22 PM

User image

The only bricks I personally do are bike/run which I do 2-3 times a week. I frequently do more than one workout a day but back to back only bike - run.
2016-03-15 3:34 PM
in reply to: #5172108

I will frequently do swim/run sessions, for no other reason than it's quick and convenient. Not sure if that counts as a real brick, but it feels awful/great.
2016-03-16 11:36 AM

User image

, South Carolina
There is a beginner HIM training program on this site (free) that has a favorite workout of mine.

"Great transition practice today! Can be done with a bike trainer or
on the street. Do a complete transition each time.
Setup your bike trainer and complete race transition setup in a
garage. 8 reps gives lots of time to work out your transition kinks.
8 x (R 4:00, B: 10:00, R 4:00 ) all at RPE 3-4 "

I like kind of simplifying it and hitting 10min bike then 8 min run. At 8 intervals it is deceiving. Sometimes I am full gear other times I just want to see where I am at.

But today I commuted to work on the bike so I am running to the pool 1.5 miles, swimming then running back to work. I think this is what I love about tri's
- mixing it up

but I do look a little goofy wearing my goggles running down the sidewalk -- j/k
2016-03-16 12:57 PM
in reply to: ToxicDonkey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by ToxicDonkey

There is a beginner HIM training program on this site (free) that has a favorite workout of mine.

"Great transition practice today! Can be done with a bike trainer or
on the street. Do a complete transition each time.
Setup your bike trainer and complete race transition setup in a
garage. 8 reps gives lots of time to work out your transition kinks.
8 x (R 4:00, B: 10:00, R 4:00 ) all at RPE 3-4 "

I like kind of simplifying it and hitting 10min bike then 8 min run. At 8 intervals it is deceiving. Sometimes I am full gear other times I just want to see where I am at.

But today I commuted to work on the bike so I am running to the pool 1.5 miles, swimming then running back to work. I think this is what I love about tri's
- mixing it up

but I do look a little goofy wearing my goggles running down the sidewalk -- j/k

I will check out the training program. I am well in to one but always like to see what I might learn new.

I did a 2150 yard swim today followed by a 44 mile ride. Feel pretty good about where I am at right now with the HIM eight weeks out. Still working to get the nutrition dialed in.

As for "looking goofy", I gave up worrying about that a long time ago.

2016-03-16 1:09 PM

Master
Northern IL

What's just been brought up is to consider what you're looking to get out of the workouts. What you've been describing is more race simulation due to the size of the splits. The brick part of it is more in the transition from one discipline to the next. The actual change of shoes and stuff only mildly, but more so the appropriate muscles firing correctly. For this, much shorter splits would be appropriate and then cycle through them several times. That doesn't mean all 3 necessarily. Just go back and forth between two should work. Should only need to do a few hundred swimming, a couple miles on the bike, and maybe a mile or less on the run. Not trying to recreate the race, just going long enough that you're into the split you're doing.

Considering that this is for a HIM though, it shouldn't be as necessary to really push on this. It's a long race so that intermediate time won't take up a big percentage.

2016-03-16 1:53 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by brigby1

What's just been brought up is to consider what you're looking to get out of the workouts. What you've been describing is more race simulation due to the size of the splits. The brick part of it is more in the transition from one discipline to the next. The actual change of shoes and stuff only mildly, but more so the appropriate muscles firing correctly. For this, much shorter splits would be appropriate and then cycle through them several times. That doesn't mean all 3 necessarily. Just go back and forth between two should work. Should only need to do a few hundred swimming, a couple miles on the bike, and maybe a mile or less on the run. Not trying to recreate the race, just going long enough that you're into the split you're doing.

Considering that this is for a HIM though, it shouldn't be as necessary to really push on this. It's a long race so that intermediate time won't take up a big percentage.

Yeah these past two days I have just felt good so I pushed things a bit. What I have done in the past is added a one mile run at the end of every ride for about 3-4 weeks just to get the muscles used to that transition. I do like the idea of a workout where I jump back and forth from the bike to the run multiple time.

Now if I can just get them to move a bike down to the pool deck, that would be perfect. I could swim, do a short spin on the bike and then a run around the field.

Thanks for the feedback.
2016-03-16 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Stuartap

I have my first HIM coming up in 2 months. Most of my bricks have been bike/run. Today I did a 2200 yard swim followed by a short 20 minute ride at threshold followed by a 5k run. It's the first time I have done all three back to back to back on a training day.

So what bricks work well for you? I am interested both in what combinations and lengths. If it makes a difference I am a good cyclist and good swimmer but awful runner.

Thanks in advance.

When I was olympic distance focused a few years ago I did some of these....

bike/run/bike/run/bike/run. Whoa nelly, short, hard and fast.
2016-03-17 12:52 AM

User image

As someone said already, the big thing is getting accustomed to switching from using one set of muscles to another, although you'll also want to practice transitions as you get closer to your race. But for the switch between muscle groups, generally it isn't that challenging to go from the swim to the bike - the challenge is more aerobic (especially in shorter races) in that you really get your heart rate elevated when getting out of the swim and running through transition, so you'll have to get used to that feeling. But I like to do that within bike sessions for example by doing some high intensity intervals and then doing long "recoveries" at a brisk speed (race speed) to teach my body to get my HR down even when I'm going relatively fast.

The bike-run brick is the challenging one, so that's the one I do, and I do it weekly. The concept of jumping back and forth is really interesting, and I still hav to try that out myself, but it could be well worth a shot!

2016-03-17 2:23 AM
in reply to: ballisticmonkey3

User image

I have suffered with severe cramps following T2, as I was well hydrated and I'm reasonably fit I sure this was down to not brick training properly.

From what I've read it seems as though the contracted nature of your quads and calves during the bike phases have issues extending as you begin the run causing cramp. There are other factors but this appears to be the main one.

I've put long bike/run brick sessions into regime but will defo try the run/bike/run/bike approach - thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Talk to me about Bricks Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

To brick or not to Brick

Started by snoopy
Views: 1221 Posts: 8

2006-07-31 12:50 AM browner6

why bricks are called bricks

Started by autumn
Views: 968 Posts: 10

2005-07-26 7:27 PM mhan22

To brick or not to brick??

Started by blessteve
Views: 1138 Posts: 11

2005-05-28 10:26 PM mtorment

when is a brick a brick?

Started by Mimir98
Views: 1035 Posts: 9

2004-12-23 10:32 PM webguy

Brickety Brick Brick

Started by teechur
Views: 860 Posts: 3

2004-05-26 12:10 PM Ron
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2014
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 1
Why it’s so hard for us to talk about losing at a simple game? Sports are supposed to be about building positive character, supposed to be about fairness, equality, and striving for excellence.

date : October 3, 2012
author : mikericci
comments : 10
Brick workouts are one of THE most important parts of training that you should be doing. Read why and find example brick workouts for any distance.
date : July 20, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Strategies for getting used to running off the bike when starting triathlon or taking on a new distance.

date : August 10, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
comments : 0
This month we talk with AdventureBear, aka Coach Suzanne on her coaching philosophy, approach to gadgets, training plans, missed workouts and strength training.
date : October 9, 2009
author : Oakley
comments : 0
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few variations for brick training.