Friendly Sons of St. Patrick
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1166/2480
Age Group = M4049
Age Group Rank = 222/
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal and shake for breakfast 3 hours prior to race, 2 mile easy warm up jog half hour prior to race, caffeinated gel 10 mins prior
Event warmup:

2 mile easy warm up jog half hour prior to race
Run
  • 1h 53m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal race pace was 9:00, hopeful race pace was 8:30. 8:30 came very easily for the first 5 miles. Too easily... Mile 7 started to slow, then after 9 it got worse.
What would you do differently?:

Pacing was fine for the first 3, and up the hill at mile 3 was great. After that when I was feeling really good I needed to reel it in and balance. Overall I think I would have finished about the same maybe a little faster, but it would have better prevented the suffering at Miles 12 and 13...
Post race
Warm down:

Couldn't run another stride. Too many pains. Just kept walking for about 15 minutes waiting for a friend. Then stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

To fast first half
Not enough hill training
not enough injury prevention during training

Event comments:

Course - closed to traffic with PLENTY of police officers working the course. I thanked nearly every one and they all seemed to be having fun encouraging the runners. Everyone was super friendly.
Pre-race facilities - Having the downtown YMCA available was HUGE. Extra bathrooms, locker rooms!, warmth indoors, very well organized and fast packet pickup...
Post race food - classic New Bedford - fish sandwiches and clam chowdah! BOth were very good, and I'm not a fried fish sandwich guy.

Last updated: 2016-03-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:46 | 13.1 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 222/
Overall: 1166/2480
Performance: Good
8:41 min/mi pace according to result timing. 52:16 10k split
Course: Figure 8 single loop starting in historic downtown NB, moving down around the South End peninsula (beaches all 3 sides). Large hill at Mile 3, lesser but longer hill at Mile 12.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-21 1:38 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: New Bedford Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Bedford Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bedford Half Marathon

Started by aarondavidson
Views: 2070 Posts: 9

2009-04-22 10:36 AM Dream Chaser

Started by SunnyS
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2008-10-12 8:45 PM SunnyS

Started by kateb876
Views: 1265 Posts: 1

2008-03-17 7:33 AM kateb876

Started by empacher
Views: 1022 Posts: 2

2007-03-20 10:31 PM cadreamer

Started by c2fd
Views: 1266 Posts: 4

2007-03-20 3:16 PM isis54
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.