United States
32F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 02m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 366
Age Group Rank = 360/
Pre-race routine:

Blueberries with my oatmeal. Also had my dunkin coffee. It took an hour to make it to the race.
Event warmup:

To prep for boston, I wanted to get 15 miles in for the day so before the race began, Matt, John and I warmed up by running two miles.
Run
  • 3h 02m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started out ok,. I ran the first mile in 11 minutes and felt pretty good. By the second mile, I felt like I was settled into running for 3 and walking for 1. Mid way through the second mile (right after I had given a Steelers fan some well deserved crap), I felt my right Achilles flair up. It wasn't a pop (which was good) but I felt like I'd really pulled it. So I stretched it and walked for a mile or two before sucking it up and running for a minute/walking for a minute. To avoid tearing it further - I walked up all the hills.

I was going pretty slow. My mile times were between 14-16 minute miles. At one point a SAG wagon came over to me and asked me if I Was ok. I was fine and told the officer so. I was wondering why he had come up to me and got the crazy notion that I was the last person on the course. Luckily - there were a couple of dozen people behind me - which was good but pretty sad when you consider there were more than 3,000 people racing. For the record though - only one person passed me from the 7th mile on.

From the six mile mark on it was basically just about gutting it out. To be honest - it wasn't terrible - but I wished I could have gone faster.

What would you do differently?:

Hmm - Not sure. Sure it would have been great if I weighed 40 pounds less but other than that I don't know what I would have done differently. Just glad I gutted it out.
Post race
Warm down:

Burger and onion rings at a local pub with John. Damn nice of him to wait for more than an hour for me (he finished his first it 1:55!!!).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My heel. Weight.

Event comments:

My one complaint - where the hell were the porta-potties? But a good race none the less.

Last updated: 2016-03-20 12:00 AM
Running
03:02:54 | 13.1 miles | 13m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Coast was beautiful with a mixture of hills and flat stretches
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2016-03-21 6:27 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: New Bedford Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Bedford Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Bedford Half Marathon

Started by aarondavidson
Views: 2070 Posts: 9

2009-04-22 10:36 AM Dream Chaser

Started by SunnyS
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2008-10-12 8:45 PM SunnyS

Started by kateb876
Views: 1265 Posts: 1

2008-03-17 7:33 AM kateb876

Started by empacher
Views: 1022 Posts: 2

2007-03-20 10:31 PM cadreamer

Started by c2fd
Views: 1265 Posts: 4

2007-03-20 3:16 PM isis54
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.