General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wish you knew before 1st 140.6 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-22 10:57 AM

Subject: Wish you knew before 1st 140.6
I'm less than 2 months before my first 140.6
What do you wish you'd known before your first 140.6? What was the most valuable lesson you've learned since?

2016-03-22 11:05 AM
in reply to: ARtridad74

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: Wish you knew before 1st 140.6

don't exceed your heart rate limit on the last hour of the bike, those honey singer waffles sat like a brick for 10 miles of the run.

2016-03-22 11:28 AM
in reply to: 0

chicken broth is awesome!
don't be afraid to walk, or even get off your bike for a few minutes to rest - if you're not gunning for the podium, take your time and don't hurt yourself
your stomach will likely revolt at some point, even if you're using the same foods that you trained with and they were ok then
Salt tabs/electrolyte pills are mission critical
Flat coke is awesome, but chicken broth is better
the volunteers are awesome
The day is awesome and completely overwhelming at the same time. Take it one step at a time, don't panic.
Everybody is standing still on the beach before the swim start because they're peeing in their wetsuits
Make sure you maintain your electrolyte levels, too much water can be dangerous.
there will be headwinds at every turn
You need to be VERY strong mentally - you will have doubts, lots of them in fact.
Trust your training - one foot in front of the other, and repeat until the finish line
ENJOY the day!

My key takeaways from completing 2 140.6 races...have fun, enjoy the day and your family and friends will be proud (and in awe) of you when you finish! Show them and prove to yourself that anything is possible.

Good Luck!

Edited by LarchmontTri 2016-03-22 11:32 AM
2016-03-22 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Wish I had done a few more runs in my long run progression since I didnt account for a 70.3 race and the time spent resting for it and being able to resume my longer runs.
2016-03-22 12:01 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by ARtridad74 I'm less than 2 months before my first 140.6 What do you wish you'd known before your first 140.6? What was the most valuable lesson you've learned since?

Salt.

2016-03-22 12:17 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

No matter how conservatively you think you're riding on race day, you're probably still over-biking, but won't know it until 10-15 miles into the run.

2016-03-22 4:53 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Utah
Utilize Special Needs on the bike and the run even if you don't think you'll need it. I almost didn't do this, dropped nutrition on the bike, and would have been in a world of hurt if I didn't have it in SN. Saved my race.

Don't forget to take the time during the race and appreciate the fact you can do it, and thank all the volunteers
2016-03-22 5:32 PM
in reply to: KatieLimb

Scottsdale, AZ
that I should have packed a rain jacket in my bike bag - Freezing rain and hail and at least I had arm warmers! Prepare for anything!

Coke on the run is awesome, but once you start, don't stop!

My 140.6 went pretty smoothly other than the weather, but just be prepared for anything!
2016-03-22 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
Don't be tempted to test your fitness by deviating on your training plan or paces. The goal is to get to the start healthy.

Also, practice eating a bunch of different things during training because you want as many options for race day as possible. Too many people train their body to be too picky. I believe in eating off the course because it is easier for logistics. Practice drinking defizzed coke and warmish chicken broth. I don't think I'd train with those but they sure worked on race day.
2016-03-23 6:58 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Not what I wish I knew, but some of what helped me for that first 140.6.  

It's one day in your life.  If you're 42 (based on your screen name), that's 0.0065% of your life.  IT DOESN'T DEFINE YOU.  Whether you cross the finish line as planned, later than planned, or not at all, you've experienced an incredible journey that has taken years to build.  THAT DEFINES YOU.  

Accept what the day gives you.  Don't TAKE anything.  If you come out of the water 3 minutes early, consider it a gift.  f you come out of the swim 3 minutes slower than you planned, let those minutes go rather than trying to get them back rushing through transition or riding "a little more aggressively" on the bike.  You'll pay dearly for trying to force things that day.  

Be gracious.  Thank the volunteers and officials all day long.  Acknowledge spectators who are cheering for you even though you're a stranger (probably with your name on your race bib).  Encourage fellow athletes.  Each of these acts builds positive attitude in you and there will be times during the day you need every bit of that you can find.  

Be adaptable.  Stop if you need.  Slow down if you're unsure.  I had a friend riding with us to his first 140.6 and about half way there, he realized he forgot his nutrition in the hotel fridge.  No time to go back, so he had to adapt to course-based nutrition.  It was a risk, but he was able to manage it and finished with a great experience.  

2016-03-23 10:02 AM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
Be prepared that something won't go just as you'd planned, and be okay with that.

2016-03-23 1:21 PM
in reply to: #5173268

User image

You don't say where your race is, it would be easier to say what I wish I knew considering I've raced in most conditions.

For the heat, I wish I would have known what more salt and sugar would do. IM Boulder taught me a lot from this.
2016-03-23 3:00 PM
in reply to: #5173505

I'm doing Ironman Texas
2016-03-23 3:20 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Provide for options in your SN bags, but be prepared to leave any of it behind if it's not what you need on the day. Too late now to tell you to train more. Don't cheat on the taper; you can't be too fresh. Smile & thank people. Pace conservatively. There's lots of opportunity to make time during the last 10-15 miles of the run if you have excess energy at that point. (Ha!) Good luck and HAVE FUN!
2016-03-23 7:04 PM

User image

Regular
Trust your training and preparation. If you have put the time in and followed a proven plan of some type you will likely be well prepared. I probably could have improved my time by maybe as much as an hour if I had pushed harder. Having invested so much mentally, emotionally and physically I wanted to make absolutely sure I finished. The final segment of the run was on a bridge that was not very well lit. I slowed my pace significantly to ensure no missteps. Being so close to the finish line I was not going to do anything to jeopardize the realization of my dream! Also ditto on the chicken broth. The whole concept seemed al little gross before I tried it, but my race was in October and temperatures had dipped as the sun began to set. It really hit the spot. Also chocolate gave me a much needed pick me up late in the race. I had never trained with it relying heavily on gels but the impact was almost immediate and provided a boost at a critical time in my race. As others have said, try to soak it all in. It is an amazing experience. Enjoy the day!
2016-03-23 9:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
-be prepared for the unexpected (I lost my garmin hitting someone in the head the first 10 seconds of the swim)
-don't think that mile 100-112 on the bike will be fun...they wont
take your time in the finisher chute!
trust your training
trust your training
trust your training

you will have the time of your life!

good luck!!!

2016-03-24 7:44 AM
in reply to: CBess

User image

Not related to 140.6, but I have a low-priorty trail race this weekend that is supposed to have chicken broth at the aid stations. I am trying to figure out what will work for me in my first IM, so I am going to try it. I guess as long as it isn't sitting out there too long, it should be OK. This thread has convinced me to be brave.
2016-03-24 7:51 AM
in reply to: happyscientist

User image

1.  It's a long day out.  Expect something to go wrong.  Embrace it when it does and accept it's part of the process.

2.  There will be points where your body doesn't want to take on calories.  Don't listen to it and get that stuff down you.

2016-03-24 9:12 AM
in reply to: jasonwb

User image

Utah
Originally posted by jasonwb

-be prepared for the unexpected (I lost my garmin hitting someone in the head the first 10 seconds of the swim)
-don't think that mile 100-112 on the bike will be fun...they wont
take your time in the finisher chute!
trust your training
trust your training
trust your training

you will have the time of your life!

good luck!!!

THIS! Miles 100-112 were the slowest, longest, most miserable miles of my entire life!!
2016-03-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by McFuzz

It's one day in your life.  If you're 42 (based on your screen name), that's 0.0065% of your life.  IT DOESN'T DEFINE YOU.  Whether you cross the finish line as planned, later than planned, or not at all, you've experienced an incredible journey that has taken years to build.  THAT DEFINES YOU.  

Yes. A lot can go wrong that's out of your control. You could wreck your bike and have to call it a day, but don't think you're a failure if something like that happens, because most of the race happens before you even get to the start.

I will add that you should STAY relaxed even if trouble occurs. If you get a flat, or end up in the penalty tent for 5 minutes, don't furiously speed your way out of there to try to make up lost time. It's 5 minutes, or 10 minutes or whatever. You can really blow yourself up by raising your heart rate too high just to make up a little bit of time.

Good luck!!

2016-03-24 4:13 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Be prepared to make adjustments in your race plan and be okay with deviating from those plans. (ie, IM Boulder was really warm on the bike. Second loop I made the decision to stop at the aid stations and drown my head in cold water. This probably saved my race as did the Skratch Snow Cones that a volunteer stuffed into my mouth and into my Torpedo)

When you accidently grab chicken broth instead of Gatorade on the run, go with it. I never knew chicken broth could taste so good.

If your coach tells you to walk, listen.

Base Salt. Base Salt. Base Salt

If you have food allergies, be careful of what you take at aid stations.

Remember, Base Salt will be your friend!

2016-03-25 12:37 AM

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

Sunscreen!!!  I didn't ensure I had enough on my shoulders in 2006 and I still have "tattoo" burns on my shoudlers from the run. See my avatar? That's me leaving T2 in 2006.  4+  hours later, horrible burns.

Stay in the moment, and stay focused on the present.  It is a long day, and it's easy to start drifting into planning the bike on the swim, the run on the bike, the endgame at mile 5 on the run.  Don't do it.  Stay in the present, mostly, and don't obsess about the next step.

Don't rock star the bike!  It's easy to blast out of T1 and feel like a million bucks, and suffer at mile 80.

Don't fall for "goal inflation".  A variation of rock star the bike, it's easy to have a good first few hours and suddenly start to think 11:30 finish time is within reach when you started with 13 hours as the expected time and 12:40 as the whisper goal. 

There are no miracles on race day.  You get the day you trained for, not the day you hoped for.  You get out what you put in.

I've finished 11 IMs. Some great, some good, some not so good.  Those lessons still apply.

Edited by brucemorgan 2016-03-25 12:43 AM
2016-03-25 1:51 PM

User image

Regular
NW
Things I may not have known if others hadn't warned me:

1) Have a very clear reason for finishing the race. Know without a doubt why you want to cross that finish line because there are going to be times when you may want to quit at which time you need to dig deep because.....

2) You will see people carried off the course during the run. It was very troubling wondering if they were feeling like I was currently feeling right before they collapsed.

3) As others have mentioned, race your own race and race the way you trained. Hammer even a bit harder on the bike at the beginning and they will be passing you by at mile 70-80. A little later you will meet others who did the same as you do the death march during the run.

4) Thank the volunteers profusely. It is not only well deserved by them but will keep your attitude in check.

5) Always be moving forward.

6) Put on fresh socks for the run. It doesn't take much time and it is oh so nice.

7) Lots of people pee on the bike. If on a descent and the person in front of you stands off the saddle, yea well give em lots of room.

Things I learned on my first IM the hard way:

1) If you're not in the running to go to Kona, don't pee on your bike.

2) If you use lots of Butt Butter in your shorts, don't pee on your bike.

3) Butt Butter makes your bike shorts foaming white on the outside if you pee on your bike. You heard as a kid about the blue dye in public pools that signify when a kid pees in the pool? Yea well the foaming white is a true story.

4) Spectators point and laugh at foaming white bike shorts and it takes two water bottles to flush it off.

5) If you're not in the running to go to Kona, don't pee on your bike.

6) If you have a chance at Kona, don't use lots of Butt Butter. (I'm just speculating on this. I didn't have a chance)

Honestly, the finish was a bit anti-climatic for me. It was the journey to getting my toes at the starting line that was the true joy. Crossing the finish line validated all the training hours and sacrifices me and my family made along that journey. Enjoy! That first one is like reading a great book or seeing a great movie. You can read or see it multiple times but that first experience is incredible.

Edited by tamason 2016-03-25 1:54 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wish you knew before 1st 140.6 Rss Feed