United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 43m 21s
Overall Rank = 38/
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Brad and I flew into NOLA on Friday morning. We grabbed lunch downtown, checked in for the Rock 'n Roll Marathon and then hit the road to Beaumont, Texas. It was about a 4 hour drive. We grabbed our packets for the Gusher Marathon and then checked into the hotel. We found a great pizza place on Yelp for dinner. We were in bed and asleep before 9.

The hotel had a breakfast which was nice and one less thing to worry about race morning. We arrived at the parking lot with plenty of time. It was actually a pretty chilly morning (I had on shorts, a tank and socks turned into arm warmers). We found bag check, hit the bathrooms inside the stadium and stayed inside to keep warm.
Event warmup:

A few minutes before 7:30 am, we made our way to the start area. We saw so many white bibs (indicating the half marathoners) and really few yellow bibs showing the marathoners. No real warm up. Kissed Brad and we wished each other good luck as he moved to the front of the start line.
Run
  • 4h 43m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Knowing we were running another marathon the next day, I went into the Gusher Marathon trying to run easy for as long as I could and then I'd start a run/walk. The morning was cool for Texas standards and sunny. I never wear a hat during races, but thought it might help me from getting the post-race migraine I usually get. I was happy I wore it as it kept the glare off my face. I was doing a good job with pacing and things felt pretty easy. My hip started to get achy around mile 7. I popped some Tylenol and it didn't bother me after that. Running through the downtown area was interesting. It was pretty desolate, besides the runners. The buildings didn't appear to be occupied and no one was out besides cops manning each intersection and the volunteers at the aid station.
As I was around my mile 11, I saw Brad heading back out on the other side of the highway and he was in 2nd/3rd running with another guy. It was great seeing him doing so well knowing his hip had been giving him issues.

I ran through the finish chute and the marathoners kept running for the 2nd loop. Wow. It was so quiet the second loop. It wasn't until then that I really realized how few marathoners there were. I told myself I could turn my iPod on after the halfway point. At mile 15 I started a run/walk interval and stuck to it for the rest of the race. At times I couldn't see anyone ahead or behind me. Strange feeling.
Eating and drinking were spot on. It was getting hot, but I felt I did a good job at hydrating and taking salt. Finished with a smile on my face and Brad on the sidelines cheering.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was a great race for me. It wasn't a PR, but I came into this race with a conservative approach knowing we were running a marathon the following day.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water, got a massage, ate leftover pizza in the car and found shade for the awards ceremony. Brad ended up 3rd overall (would have had 2nd, but he got off course and ran a little extra) and I was 1st in my AG, 4th OA. Then we got back in the car to drive the 4 hours to NOLA.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My own choice to run conservatively.

Event comments:

This is a great, small low key race. I liked the 2 loop course. The aid stations were completely stocked of many different things (typical race food to candy and chips). They had plenty of aid stations. There were things at the finish line area (some food options and vendors which we didn't utilize). The medals and awards were nice and the cost of the race was reasonable. I can't imagine I'll be back to Beaumont, Texas but I would definitely recommend this race.

Last updated: 2015-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
04:43:21 | 26.2 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 38/
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loop course around the college camps, out a highway and then a loop around "downtown" Beaumont before returning the same way we came. 1st half: 2:14.52 2nd half: 2:28:29
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-22 1:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Gusher Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gusher Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

The Gusher Half Marathon

Started by jana0317
Views: 706 Posts: 1

2014-12-31 5:42 PM jana0317

Gusher Marathon

Started by cecjap
Views: 1149 Posts: 2

2011-03-18 4:30 PM BikerGrrrl

The Gusher Half Marathon

Started by JDKadlick
Views: 817 Posts: 2

2011-03-15 3:11 PM SquirrelGravy

Marathon Makeover Marathon and Half Marathon

Started by kvesey
Views: 1669 Posts: 2

2010-10-12 8:50 PM ebshot

Coeur d'Alene Marathon/1/2 Marathon (Run - Half Marathon) 5 k

Started by dbdutro
Views: 1467 Posts: 1

2009-05-25 11:32 PM dbdutro
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?
date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.

date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.
date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.

date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid
date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.

date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"