General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Orleans, Louisiana
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 42s
Overall Rank = 2093/3644
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 175/370
Pre-race routine:

Our pre-race routine was definitely unorthodox. We finished the Gusher Marathon in Beaumont, Texas early afternoon and then drove the 4 hours back to NOLA where we returned the rental car and cabbed it to the hotel. Quick shower and then Brad and I walked to find dinner. We connected with Jeff, Kari and LC after dinner, chatted a bit and then we all went to bed pretty early.

Alarm went off before 6 and I had coffee and breakfast while getting dressed. We left around 6:40 am and walked to the race start. Finally found the bag drop, took some pictures and then found our corral.
Event warmup:

No warm up. We all were together in the corral. Brad and I were sore and limping around even before this marathon started so there was nothing to do but laugh at our condition and how our 2nd marathon was going to unfold.
Run
  • 5h 01m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy shit. Right from the start things felt awful. It was painful to run and hard to imagine I had 26 miles in front of me. I tried to stay in the moment and not get concerned on what mile I was at. The section along the trolley line was crowded and a good distraction. There were tons of racers and spectators out and the bands were great! I saw Brad and Jeff (missed seeing Kari), ate King Cake people were handing out and was trying to just enjoy the day and the city.

I saw LC at around mile 9 and I stopped to chat with her for a minute or two. I told her how awful it was/felt and she said Brad shared the same sentiments. I told myself I could start a run/walk at mile 10. I started out with a 5:1 interval and tried to keep it up, but it was challenging. I next saw LC at mile 13 and I commented on how much better it felt to walk. But I've done that before...walked a marathon or a 1/2. And it's slow and painful. I knew it would mean being out there for hours longer and I didn't want that. So I was motivated to run, dropping my run/walk intervals to 4:1. That was manageable and I was able to keep that up.

The part along the park was nice and shaded with a breeze which was welcome since it was sunny and getting warm. Actually most of the course is shaded which was great. I saw Jeff around my mile 18, his mile 22 and then saw Brad shortly after. I commented on how I would never fucking do this again and how painful it was. I am sure the people around me thought I was dramatic, not knowing I had run the day prior. The music along the stretch by the lake was great. They had a DJ with speakers along that part so you could hear music on that whole section. I saw Kari who looked great and said she was going to PR.
The miles kept ticking off and mentally, I just stayed within the 4 minute run/1 minute walk interval. It made the time fly. The portion within the park was beautiful. They had small lakes, little wooden bridges and the one part had these pretty Japanese lanterns in the trees. Made the final turn to the finish and was happy to be done running.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not run a marathon the day prior? But given my state, I feel I did well. I was happy to be able to run the first 10 miles and then figure out and stick with an interval that worked for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I got a lot of food through the chute. I made that mistake in Savannah. I ate a bunch after finishing so I wasn't feeling awful. That definitely helped. Found our crew, got my finisher's jacket and then took the shuttle back to the quarter.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running a marathon the day before

Event comments:

This might be one of my favorite courses. The crowd support was fantastic and the spectators were so fun (offering up king cake, beer, beads and even mini martinis). There was a lot of shade and the course was interesting.

Last updated: 2015-12-22 12:00 AM
Running
05:01:42 | 26.2 miles | 11m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 175/370
Overall: 2093/3644
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back along the St. Charles Street trolley line before running on the outskirts of the quarter, up Esplanade St to City Park. We ran along the side of the park perimeter and then to Lake Pontchartrain where we did an OAB before snaking through the park to finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-22 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll New Orleans Marathon

Started by auburn365
Views: 770 Posts: 1

2012-03-17 10:47 PM auburn365

Started by pistuo
Views: 1267 Posts: 1

2012-03-16 2:17 PM pistuo

Started by lonoscurse
Views: 819 Posts: 1

2012-03-13 11:03 AM lonoscurse

Started by JimB
Views: 1041 Posts: 1

2012-03-11 10:47 AM JimB

Started by jonathancolgin
Views: 724 Posts: 1

2012-03-09 2:37 PM jonathancolgin
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
comments : 0
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.
date : July 5, 2005
author : KevinKonczak
comments : 0
After you have established the Ironman goal, the most important factor outside of the training is which race to choose? What is your best sort of course, hilly, rolling, flat?