General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri fit question: Are your quads supposed to be hitting your rib cage? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-03-23 8:30 AM

, Virginia
Subject: Tri fit question: Are your quads supposed to be hitting your rib cage?

Hi!

I recently got my first triathlon bicycle and after a few months the fit is just not feeling right.  I'm 6'2", I have proportionally longer femurs so my fit is a bit non-standard.  Also, I have a pretty wide rib cage- 48" chest.

When you ride your tri bike in aero position, do your quads hit your ribcage?  I have somewhat of a spare tire to get rid of, so I know that's there in the bend, but my quads definitely hit my rib cage as the pedals reach highest point.  Is this normal for rib cage to get in the way?

I've been playing around with my geometry myself little by little before I wind up spending an entire day at my LBS.  If your knees are going too high that your legs are hitting your chest, what does that mean for geometry?  Need to bring my saddle position and cockpit forward (minimize leg-hip-shoulder angle)?  Raise the cockpit so my chest raises higher?

I have a history of getting lower back pain from steep inclines when I was on my road bike, so something's wrong.

Anyone have any opinions on this?

Thanks!

2016-03-23 9:13 AM
in reply to: craycray

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Tri fit question: Are your quads supposed to be hitting your rib cage?
post a side on video. Can't tell much without seeing it.
2016-03-25 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Tri fit question: Are your quads supposed to be hitting your rib cage?
No, you shouldn't hit your chest with the quads... There's a couple of things that would cause this. Seat too far back, either the geometry of the bike is not designed to put you forward (typical road geometry), or you simply have the seat too far back. Second possible cause would be the front end is simply to low and/or too stretched out. Lower is only better to a certain point, where you actually increase the drag by presenting a larger frontal area (if your shoulders are below the high point of your back, then you're too low...)

A video would definitely help, but I'm guessing a professional bike fit is in order.
2016-03-25 8:54 AM
in reply to: audiojan

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by audiojan No, you shouldn't hit your chest with the quads... There's a couple of things that would cause this. Seat too far back, either the geometry of the bike is not designed to put you forward (typical road geometry), or you simply have the seat too far back. Second possible cause would be the front end is simply to low and/or too stretched out. Lower is only better to a certain point, where you actually increase the drag by presenting a larger frontal area (if your shoulders are below the high point of your back, then you're too low...) A video would definitely help, but I'm guessing a professional bike fit is in order.

^^^This^^^  Also, the problem with your knees hitting your chest is your hip angle is too "closed", which tends to both reduce the amount of power you can produce bio-mechanically, and limit the movement of your diaphragm (you can't take full breaths).

2016-03-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

, Virginia

Thanks for the replies everyone.  I'm not sure I'm going to be able to figure out the whole video thing.  I definitely don't have lots of sustainable power, that's for sure.  And taking big breaths does get difficult.

I received a pro fit at the LBS where I bought the bike, but since I was new to tri bikes in general, I didn't quite know what was supposed to feel- good or otherwise.  Just felt awkward.  It takes my whole day considering round trip travel plus experimenting for a few hours with different configurations.

I just purchased a Cobb JOF 55 to replace a nosed saddle, and it feels better and I can move myself forward with more comfort.

2016-03-25 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

do your knees hit the whole time?  with my fit, if I really scrunch down abnormally, say I'm into a big wind or down a steep hill, I have that issue. If I'm in my normal position they don't.  Like previous posters said, if you are hitting your chest get the fit checked.

2016-03-25 1:30 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by TriMyBest

Originally posted by audiojan No, you shouldn't hit your chest with the quads... There's a couple of things that would cause this. Seat too far back, either the geometry of the bike is not designed to put you forward (typical road geometry), or you simply have the seat too far back. Second possible cause would be the front end is simply to low and/or too stretched out. Lower is only better to a certain point, where you actually increase the drag by presenting a larger frontal area (if your shoulders are below the high point of your back, then you're too low...) A video would definitely help, but I'm guessing a professional bike fit is in order.

^^^This^^^  Also, the problem with your knees hitting your chest is your hip angle is too "closed", which tends to both reduce the amount of power you can produce bio-mechanically, and limit the movement of your diaphragm (you can't take full breaths).

strange, I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my experience the tightness of hip angle has absolutely 0% bearing on my fullness of breaths.
2016-03-25 1:53 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Leegoocrap
Originally posted by TriMyBest

strange, I'm not saying you are wrong, but in my experience the tightness of hip angle has absolutely 0% bearing on my fullness of breaths.

It's not a direct result of the closed hip angle, and not with leaner athletes.  When the average MOPer who's carrying a few extra pounds around the middle is folded in half that extra around the belly needs some place to go.

2016-03-25 1:55 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
ahh gotcha. I'm not suggesting OP's quads hitting rib cage is ideal fwiw. Just interested.

OP, post pictures if video is not possible. I want to see now.
2016-03-25 2:40 PM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran

ahh gotcha. I'm not suggesting OP's quads hitting rib cage is ideal fwiw. Just interested.

Too much posterior pelvic tilt will cut air supply.
A hugely overlooked problem for comfort, power production and breathing.
2016-03-25 2:54 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by marcag

Too much posterior pelvic tilt will cut air supply.
A hugely overlooked problem for comfort, power production and breathing.

but what about speed

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri fit question: Are your quads supposed to be hitting your rib cage? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Am I fit enough for a century?

Started by courtney_leone
Views: 1440 Posts: 17

2012-05-15 3:47 PM browncd

I am a beginner and I am scared, but hopeful

Started by trisome
Views: 3071 Posts: 15

2013-08-07 7:47 AM Sidney Porter

What am I supposed to do???

Started by Bronwyn1968
Views: 2108 Posts: 23

2009-01-15 7:03 PM wwlani

What am I supposed to eat at night?

Started by runrachierun
Views: 1348 Posts: 3

2008-04-15 2:20 PM froglegs

Am I supposed to be feeling this exhausted?

Started by circadies
Views: 1362 Posts: 16

2007-12-18 2:51 PM TriAya