BBSC
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 18m 4s
Overall Rank = 89/311
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 9/17
Pre-race routine:

We were in Las Vegas for another race but I found this one and thought it would be a great way to get my long run done for the week.

We woke at about 0600 and got ready then headed toward Hoover Dam, with a stop at Starbucks of course. I had a flat white and a croissant. We got to the parking lot of the Hoover Dam Lodge, where we were instructed to park, then made the approx. half mile trail walk down to the trailhead where the race would finish. I hit the port a john and we watched all of the St. Patty's day costumes, and a bagpiper, mill around. As it got closer to race time we walked the little bit up to the start where I chatted with the Las Vegas RWB team captain until start time.
Event warmup:

walk from the parking lot to the start
Run
  • 2h 18m 4s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

We started out on dirt but it quickly turned to a cement bike path where we climbed steadily toward Boulder City. Thanks to my hillwork and the altitude (or lack thereof) at Lake Meade it was not an unpleasant climb. I could see much of the lake until we turned around so for the first couple miles I was just observing the people and costumes around me. One in particular became "Lucky Charms" and I would continue to yo-yo with him for much of the race. He was wearing a Derby and a tech green tux and a bow tie. Another was Ironman who had an MDot on his calf. I passed him close to the top of the climb and didn't see him again. About 2 miles in we started seeing the front runners come back to us so we got to cheer them. I wished I'd remembered them more clearly so I could cheer them at the next turnaround because by then we were mixed in with the other distances.

Once we turned around it was glorious. It was downhill, I could see the lake and we had a breeze. Yay! There were water stations every couple miles so I relied on them for water and Gatorade. I took a gel just before the station at about 5 miles.

Once we got past where we'd started we were on the Historic Railroad Trail and it was amazing. The history, the tunnels, the dirt path, I think I smiled for the last 8 miles. I was still back and forth with Lucky Charms and he got ahead of me when I stopped to take pictures. As we approached the second turnaround, at Hoover Dam, there was a set of odd, paved, switchbacks down to the parking lot. I mentioned to Lucky Charms that we would have to climb back up. He responded "every year" and said that he'd done the race several times. As we got to the bottom of the switchbacks a kindly volunteer called me smiley and told me I needed to catch the guy in front of me (Lucky Charms) I told him I had but he kept getting away. The other end of the parking lot was the second turnaround where the volunteer told us we were half way. Um, no, but thanks anyway.

Back up the cement switchbacks then on to the trail. Somewhere on the trail back I passed Lucky Charms for the last time. I continued to enjoy the amazing scenery on to the finish. At the very end I was trying to come around a pink tutu girl and she stepped to the side just as I got to her sending me on an odd course and a slightly twisted ankle. I managed to get past her and cross the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was an amazing way to get in my planned 13 mile long run.
Post race
Warm down:

I drank some water and had an orange. I talked to some NYPD guys that were there and had run the HM in kilts. They were also there for B2V but weren't running that one (they were in a support vehicle)

After a bit DH and I walked up to the car where he had a chocolate milk stashed for me <3

Then we drove back to Vegas and I cleaned up so we could visit Bobby's Burger Palace where I had an amazing burger and a caramel bourbon shake :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe the heat, of course genetics, but I'm happy with this one.

Event comments:

Very well done race!!!! I would highly recommend this one. The organization was great, lots of volunteers, lots of aid stations and the scenery was stunning.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-03-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:04 | 13.1 miles | 10m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 89/311
Performance: Good
Course: Begin at the Historic Railroad Trailhead and run West on the River Mountain Loop trail for 2.96 before reaching the 1st turnaround. Run back towards the start line, and continue onto the Historic Railroad Trail going through the 6 tunnels for 6.42 miles until you reach the 2nd turnaround, at which point you will head back 3.72 miles to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-23 11:12 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: St. Patricks Day Half Marathon

2016-03-23 2:17 PM
in reply to: #5173481

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: St. Patricks Day Half Marathon

That race sounds like a lot of fun!  All those hills would kill me though   Well done and congrats on catching and ditching Lucky Charms!  And I am totally jealous of your after race shake!!

2016-03-23 3:23 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
The scenery is beautiful!! And I love your green outfit
2016-03-23 3:54 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Awesome race!! What a cool place to run!!
2016-03-23 5:01 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Great pics - and scary elevation chart!

Sounds like a terrific race.  I'd have thought there'd be green beer as an "after." 

Matt

2016-03-24 9:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Lucky Charms, ha!  At least you finally left him in your dust for good.  Dang girls in tutus, grr!  Love your green top and shamrock socks.

Sounds like you had a great race at a spectacular location.  Any time 'smile' is in a RR and lasts for 8 miles is a very good thing.

This is a bucket list location/race for me, as I'd LOVE to run the historic train route and go through the tunnels.  All those hills, well, not so much.

BIG congrats!

Edited by melbo55 2016-03-24 9:48 AM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Patricks Day Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

St. Louis St. Patricks Day Parade Run

Started by mponder
Views: 1221 Posts: 1

2010-03-17 1:35 PM mponder

Dallas Athletes St. Patricks Day Sprint

Started by BigMoney
Views: 2012 Posts: 7

2008-03-15 8:30 PM tikicult

Victory's St. Patricks Day 5K

Started by ybkm67a
Views: 708 Posts: 1

2006-06-04 6:27 PM ybkm67a

St. Patricks Day 8K

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 2884 Posts: 13

2006-03-15 10:39 AM tech_geezer

St. Patricks Day 1/2 Marathon

Started by Wookiee
Views: 1189 Posts: 8

2005-03-18 8:26 PM La Rakusillian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : August 8, 2008
author : Coach AJ
Discussions on race day weakness, long course nutrition, RPE on race day and the key to a successful Ironman marathon
date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2005
author : chrisandniki
This is not an easy task, especially for the “9-to-5er” with family. But you can do it – all without sacrificing your marriage, job or family.