GO Race Productions
66F / 19C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 24s
Overall Rank = 8/135
Age Group = Military
Age Group Rank = 3/51
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from St. Mary's to Augusta the Friday before. Biked the 12 mile course to get a feel of the course; hills were gross. Checked into the hotel on base, drove down to Augusta and ate at our local favorite The Bees Knees (sweet potato hummus and chicken and waffles). The walk the riverwalk and picked up a huge slice of cake from The Boll Weevil Cafe and Sweetery. Woke up at 0700, packed up the room, went to the breakfast lounge and had waffles with peanut butter, coffee, and bannana. 1 hour prior to had antifatigue caps and 15 minutes prior to took gu.
Event warmup:

Rode the bike with the wife for 1.5 miles, roads were damp so we didn't want to do to much. Then jumped into the pool for a quick 100m.
Swim
  • 04m 56s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

Since we didn't register until the day before we didn't get seeded so the race director let us cut in between people that seeded themselves 1:45/100m. I passed 12 people in 300 meters, accidentally climbing over 1 person. My swim was very fast due to first event with lava pants. Real swim time was 4:42 which is 1:34/100m.
What would you do differently?:

Register early to get a better swim seed.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Lava pants got stuck on left heel for a second but no real problem here. POC Tempor helmet is getting easier to get on. Grabbed a 2nd gu for my tri suit and was out. My rack was right next to swim enter but all the way down from bike start.

nothing, fantastic T1!
Bike
  • 33m 39s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Road as hard as possible throughout the bike, goal was to keep HR @ 180, ended with HR @ 177 due to downhill sections. Once I passed 35mph I was free wheeling, so I tucked and held on for the ride, interesting fact above 40mph the POC Tempor wants to lift off my head.. I took the corners very conservative since the roads were damp. Gear changes and hills were very manageable thanks to all the segments I have been riding on strava (heartrate and power are the same on the segments as they are on the hills, only difference is speed). At mile 11 I took 2nd gu of the day.

Maybe push the corners a bit harder. I was sad about overall speed being <22mph but when compared to everyone else's times, I had a great bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Got the helmet off quickly and only scratched my head slightly. Pulled the socks on and got the shoes on very fast.

Nothing very fast T2
Run
  • 21m 16s
  • 3.1 kms
  • 06m 52s  min/km
Comments:

Came out with legs that wouldn't turnover. After about .25 miles found my legs and started running well. Held sub 7 for the course but fought a mental battle running on the track. The army must like training on that type of surface for some reason.

cross country practice
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out and had some water and gatorade. Talked with a bunch of people about the race. Got a hot shower inside the pool complex. After awards went to Nacho Momma in Augusta for lunch, then drove 3.5 hours back to St. Marys.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Seeding on the swim, HILLS on the bike, and energy sucking ground surface on the run.

Event comments:

Post race drinks and food was very low, but Go Race Productions totally redeemed themselves with the best swag ever. For placing in age group; I got a mug, a backpack, a log sleeve zip pullover tech shirt, a medal, and a few other odds and ends. This is a very well organized and supported race. It is one of the more challenging sprint triathlons that I have done.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:56 | 300 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/51
Overall: 17/135
Performance: Good
Suit: Lava Pants
Course: The swim is a 300 meter pool swim in the Fort Gordon Indoor 50m Pool. Participants start at one side of the pool and snake their way up and down each lane as they work towards the other side of the pool. The is 1 way traffic only in each lane, great for passing.
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:39 | 12 miles | 21.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/51
Overall: 7/135
HR 177bpm, cadence 99rpm, estimated power 260watts https://www.strava.com/activities/527192996
Wind: Little
Course: The bike course is a 12 mile loop with a small lollipop. The course is rolling to hilly and takes place completely on the Fort Gordon base. The roads are open to traffic – but traffic is usually fairly light. (there are 4 substantial climbs which are not accurately described in the onsite description) Climb 1 - .5 miles average 5% Climb 2 - .7 miles average 4% Climb 3 - .3 miles average 7% Climb 4 - .2 miles average 8% Total elevation gain is about 800 feet and roads are very rough
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 99
Turns: Average Cornering: Bad
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:16 | 03.1 kms | 06m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 5/51
Overall: 16/135
Performance: Average
average HR 178bpm 1st mile - 6:52 - 175bpm 2nd mile - 6:43 - 179bpm 3rd mile - 6:43 - 180bpm https://www.strava.com/activities/527603774
Course: The 5K run course is a single loop, nearly completely on the 3 mile running trail. The course is flat. The running trail is a mix of sections of sand, dirt, and clay; the sections were a mix of hard pack, loose, and quick sand. I felt that I was 20 seconds slower per mile based solely on the running terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-03-26 7:08 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Dare to Tri Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dare to Tri Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Dare to Tri - Fort Gordon Sprint Triathlon

Started by jillian_o
Views: 929 Posts: 1

2014-03-31 6:29 PM jillian_o

Started by LukeBoswell
Views: 991 Posts: 1

2014-03-30 11:04 PM LukeBoswell

Started by CU Chanko
Views: 872 Posts: 1

2014-03-30 8:33 AM CU Chanko

Maple Grove Triathlon: Dare to TRI - Sprint Course

Started by BloomingRunner
Views: 1244 Posts: 2

2012-08-29 1:59 PM BikerGrrrl

Dare To Tri Maple Grove Triathlon

Started by rosieturner12
Views: 989 Posts: 1

2010-08-28 4:05 PM rosieturner12
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 21, 2011
author : etra77
comments : 0
Aunt and Nephew do their first Sprint Triathlon together

date : July 28, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm doing the 22 week sprint tri program and the 2 mile bike ride it starts with is not very challenging. I see this as a opportunity to train the right way and challenge myself. Any ideas?
date : October 7, 2008
author : gczarski
This past spring I realized a few of us were heading in the wrong direction physically. We were getting together for poker games and kids’ birthdays, but that was it.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.

date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
During this past year, I’ve found that there are secrets “out there” - hidden fitness secrets and tips.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.